Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I haven't finished the video yet, but unless Evan is imagining he's kicking all this rear end why doesn't he just take over for the god-drat Batman?

Okay, so just so I'm clear: Unnamed chain smoking Ghost Wolf dude is Jacket. He remembered Beard saying that he wanted to open a variety of shops when they were talking about their lives at home, so when he's visiting those shops he imagines it's Beard behind the counter? Because the end of this video strongly indicates Beard died during San Francisco's explosion, which was described as past tense in the first game (with Beard in Hotline Miami saying he feels something bad is going to happen, and it reminds him of San Francisco, which he "don't like one bit." When you're going through the later stages of Hotline Miami and you see bald Russians behind the counters with what look like bloody/murdered staffers on the floor, that's like as not Jacket hallucinating about Russians murdering Beard, as they were responsible for his death with that bomb. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, unless I need to wait for a later video.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Even for this game, that was a remarkably chill and laid back tone for a level where you run around setting people on fire.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Lotish posted:

I haven't finished the video yet, but unless Evan is imagining he's kicking all this rear end why doesn't he just take over for the god-drat Batman?
I don't think being batman pays very well, which is why a multi-billionaire has to do it.

Lotish posted:

Okay, so just so I'm clear: Unnamed chain smoking Ghost Wolf dude is Jacket. He remembered Beard saying that he wanted to open a variety of shops when they were talking about their lives at home, so when he's visiting those shops he imagines it's Beard behind the counter? Because the end of this video strongly indicates Beard died during San Francisco's explosion, which was described as past tense in the first game (with Beard in Hotline Miami saying he feels something bad is going to happen, and it reminds him of San Francisco, which he "don't like one bit." When you're going through the later stages of Hotline Miami and you see bald Russians behind the counters with what look like bloody/murdered staffers on the floor, that's like as not Jacket hallucinating about Russians murdering Beard, as they were responsible for his death with that bomb. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, unless I need to wait for a later video.
You're right up to the last sentence, at which point it becomes open to interpretation, my hypothesis is one of two things. First though, it's not Russians you see behind the counter once Beard disappears, it's Richter, the guy in the rat mask that kills Hooker and puts Jacket in a coma. My hypothesis is that either killing all the Russians gives Jacket triggers his memories and causes him to lapse into flashbacks of traumatic events (ie Rambo), Beard's death of course being the biggest. Alternatively, Jacket senses Richter spying on him which penetrates the happy illusion that he's created, and he's forced to acknowledge that Beard's dead. Because the realization perfectly correlates with Richter's appearance into Jacket's world, Jacket associates the two and comes to the conclusion that Richter killed Beard, thereby replacing him in Jacket's imagined world. This is all further complicated by the fact that it's entirely possible that Jacket hallucinated everything leading up to Trauma (the hospital level) while he was in the coma and all or none of it could have happened. The fact that we see Biker alive outside the courthouse indicates that Jacket's a very unreliable narrator and only confuses things further.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 17, 2015

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Pure speculation but I think that chain smoking ghost wolf guy is Det. Pardo. The sprites look the same to me, and it might make more sense why Pardo is so drat brutal and blaise about murder since he would already have war time experience. Either that, or he's just a sociopath cop.

What happened to Beard by the way? My memory of the first game is hazy, but did he die? If so, how?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
-snip-

A good poster fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 17, 2015

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Spoiler-tag that, please.

E: Just wanted spoiler tags like this, you didn't have to censor yourself.

K-ParAdoX posted:

Windows 7. Thanks for the link!
drat, I thought for sure it was a compatibility issue. Add me on steam if it's still not working and I'll see if I can help.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 17, 2015

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
Thats a thing I like about hm2, it frames the first game as being about a guy deeply upset about his friends death which is a much nicer story than jacket being this Travis Bickle kind of guy.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

Pure speculation but I think that chain smoking ghost wolf guy is Det. Pardo. The sprites look the same to me, and it might make more sense why Pardo is so drat brutal and blaise about murder since he would already have war time experience. Either that, or he's just a sociopath cop.

What happened to Beard by the way? My memory of the first game is hazy, but did he die? If so, how?

It's explained in the chapter 4 video.

Also, to add to the smoking guy in the Ghost Wolves being Jacket theory, there's the bit after killing the Russian mob boss at the end of the first game where he lights up a cigarette and throws something that looks like a photo off the balcony. I don't think it's too wild a speculation to say that it's the photo that Evan took in Hawaii that Beard gave to Jacket after he was injured at the power plant, and was asking about on the phone at the end of chapter 4.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Not to mention that Beard's "it's on the house" appears several times in the first game's hallucinations, which suggests to me that Jacket's having flashbacks of the guy who saved him.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Act 5's here! Video-editing is hard.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 23, 2015

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

First floor of Demolition is the example of everything bad in level design of this game, as in HUGE open areas that you can barely capture with one screen
Also I find it weird that Richter's mom talks about his father being in a dream, considering the ending scene

dasmause fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 22, 2015

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I absolutely hated the first part of Demolition. Such an annoying mission, but I agree with you on Release. It was a really well thought out level with the way the it changes.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I genuinely liked Richter's levels, except for House Call. It does have probably my favourite track in the game, but it just marked the start of the game's descent into hell for me.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I'm kinda confused now. I only saw most of the first game through the LP, never beat it myself, but didn't Jacket kill Richter in the first game?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

So I'm kinda confused now. I only saw most of the first game through the LP, never beat it myself, but didn't Jacket kill Richter in the first game?

It's completely optional. After you finish all the cops in the police station in HM1, Richter tells you that all the info he needs is in the evidence room. You can then choose to kill or spare him.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Oooooh. Now it all makes sense.

Well as much sense as this series can make anyway :v:

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

dasmause posted:

First floor of Demolition is the example of everything bad in level design of this game, as in HUGE open areas that you can barely capture with one screen
Also I find it weird that Richter's mom talks about his father being in a dream, considering the ending scene

My guess is that Dennaton wanted to have Richard appear to every character, but it didn't really make sense for Richter so they had him appear to his mother instead and figured that they player would recognize the pattern well enough to pick up on it by that point (wow this is a long sentence).

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I genuinely liked Richter's levels, except for House Call. It does have probably my favourite track in the game, but it just marked the start of the game's descent into hell for me.
I can't mask my hate for Richter. There's a lot of cool stuff going on in his levels but it seems like each floor has a horrible RNG spike, especially if you try and play it fast. It's hard to explain, but you'll see it when I die a lot on hard.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...

Lacedaemonius posted:

drat, I thought for sure it was a compatibility issue. Add me on steam if it's still not working and I'll see if I can help.

It's telling me your friends list is full. Good news, though! I got it working!

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

K-ParAdoX posted:

It's telling me your friends list is full. Good news, though! I got it working!

great to hear, but btw you might want to see if something's wrong with your steam because my list definitely isn't full

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Act 6 is here! Still processing as of posting, but should be in the good resolutions in a few hours.

SO, I've got an important question that I want to get feedback from you guys. When I go through hard I'm going to be considerably more verbose in my commentary but I'm shooting for informative and I don't want to bore y'all with a dissertation on why Beard wears womens' underwear if you just wanna know all the ways that one floor is bullshit and the game cheats. What in particular do you want me to focus on?

Quiet Python posted:

Detective Pardo legitimately terrifies me. The fans caused a horrific amount of carnage during their exploits, but there were five of them.

Pardo leaves their body count in his dust...and he does it alone.

Your words were prophetic.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 26, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Talk about everything, man. Be as verbose as you want. Go into all the gritty details, I want to understand as much as possible about this weird, hosed up game. :psyduck:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

death .cab for qt posted:

Talk about everything, man. Be as verbose as you want. Go into all the gritty details, I want to understand as much as possible about this weird, hosed up game. :psyduck:

Same here.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Thirding this.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Fourthing. I think everyone will be fine with you doing it.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.

Lacedaemonius posted:

I can't mask my hate for Richter. There's a lot of cool stuff going on in his levels but it seems like each floor has a horrible RNG spike, especially if you try and play it fast. It's hard to explain, but you'll see it when I die a lot on hard.

When I played through Richter's section, I got the sense that he was the least willing and capable of all the playable characters. It's a big shift going from someone like Tony with his absolute love for what he's doing or even Evan with his restrained anger to Richter, who has no prior experience with violence (so far as we know) and is only doing this stuff because he's scared of what will happen if he stops.

It takes a long time for us to get to him, but Richter's the everyman of the story, and I think the devs did a really neat job of using difficult and even frustrating gameplay to make him feel like he is far more out of his depth than any of the other characters. That they do this with level design rather than making him slower or weaker than the other characters is pretty brilliant--gameplay-wise, he's exactly as competent as Pardo, but he sure doesn't feel like it. It's part of why Release is so satisfying when you finish it, and really helps set us up to see what a goddamn badass The Son is.

edit: also, goddamn, watching Release again. Now there is a man who wants his lunch.

Molly Millions fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 26, 2015

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

I believe Pardo has hidden perks that improves his firearm handling, like turn speed and stuff

On another note, gently caress Takeover, that level amost made me quit. Good thing I didn't, pay-off was amazing

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

nthing the "please talk about everything" request.

Also, what I want now is for somebody to make an edit that puts the events in both games in chronological order. Seeing everything happen without jumping around isn't the most fun way to experience the story, but would be cool after you've already seen everything.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Huh, time to watch an update...

:okpos: :ducksiren: :shroom: :okpos:

woah. I need a drink of water and to lie down.

Seriously, what the gently caress did I just watch?!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

mauman posted:

Huh, time to watch an update...

:okpos: :ducksiren: :shroom: :okpos:

woah. I need a drink of water and to lie down.

Seriously, what the gently caress did I just watch?!

Gotta get a grip, man.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Just marathoned everything so far. I was afraid the broader scope would hurt the storytelling but you were right - this plays pretty much like pulp fiction.

I'll confess I really hate Hotline Miami - I find it the most dull, frustrating experience to play, but the story's fairly interesting and it's really exciting to watch played well. Thanks for the great LP so far!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Gotta get a grip, man.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That's beautiful. Well, terrifying, but in a beautiful way.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I played the whole game in one sitting when it came out, and that last level was amazing. Maybe it's because I was tired and kinda drunk by then, but it delivered.

The other two levels that made their mark for me were "Deathwish" (last Fans level), and "Release" (prison level with Richter). I don't think it's a coincidence that the music for both of those was done by Carpenter Brut. As far as I'm concerned, Carpenter Brut is MVP for this soundtrack, much as I like Perturbator. I mean, one day I listened to "Miami Disco" on loop starting at 1PM up until sometime late in the evening nonstop while crunching for a game a few years ago, so I really like Perturbator, but "Roller Mobster" was the track for me in this game.

Anyhow, I'd say the game had more issues than the original Hotline Miami, but it was still very much worth the price of admission.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

What the hell have I just seen haha.

Nthing the talk about everything. Please help me to understand.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I love the detail that the Son's shell-casing keychain has 7-23-89 engraved on it. I went back to check and, yep, July 23, 1989 was the date of Jacket's final two missions in Hotline Miami 1.

Still have to wonder what happened to the Son's face. It's hard to stop looking at his left eye, trying and failing to blink :gonk:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zip! posted:

What the hell have I just seen haha.

Nthing the talk about everything. Please help me to understand.

My basic understanding:

*the general lead an assassination on the president because of the hosed up mission they were on with Beard
*the Russian president was also killed through crossfire
*russia launched nukes while the U.S did, and every main character was killed because of it
*the prisoner was probably Pardo, who dreamt he got caught and then actually got caught

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

*the prisoner was probably Pardo, who dreamt he got caught and then actually got caught

Prisoner was actually Jacket, Pardo is shown barricaded in his apartment when the nuke hits.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I have a feeling the General is the Ghost Wolves former Colonel, who is a member of the 50 Blessings ultranationalist group that has launched a concerted attempt to abort the Russo-American Talks and instead instigated nuclear armageddon.

Looks like whatever happened during World War 3 never really faded from him.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Skippy Granola posted:

I'll confess I really hate Hotline Miami - I find it the most dull, frustrating experience to play, but the story's fairly interesting and it's really exciting to watch played well. Thanks for the great LP so far!
Thanks for saying! I'm especially chuffed to hear I'm playing well, one of my biggest barriers was always the fear that I'm playing like shite and boring the hell out of everyone. Very glad to hear that's not the case so far!

dasmause posted:

I believe Pardo has hidden perks that improves his firearm handling, like turn speed and stuff
iirc he can survive multiple gunshots, and he has special gun-specific executions, so that would make sense except I've never noticed any difference with mouse-control regardless of the character and weapon.

biosterous posted:

Also, what I want now is for somebody to make an edit that puts the events in both games in chronological order. Seeing everything happen without jumping around isn't the most fun way to experience the story, but would be cool after you've already seen everything.
There is this, though I highly recommend holding off on reading it until the hard playthrough is posted. Imho the real reward of the game is piecing the story together yourself, esp. since so much of it is open to interpretation.

Also I forgot to mention this before, but if anyone has any requests (characters/levels/challenges/etc.) I'm happy to oblige!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lacedaemonius posted:

There is this, though I highly recommend holding off on reading it until the hard playthrough is posted. Imho the real reward of the game is piecing the story together yourself, esp. since so much of it is open to interpretation.

Also I forgot to mention this before, but if anyone has any requests (characters/levels/challenges/etc.) I'm happy to oblige!

I love how the icon for that guide is Richard, almost as if he's cut the cryptic crap and appeared to calmly explain everything.

• Locked thread