Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

The Ultimate Fighter: Team McGregor vs. Team Faber (also known as The Ultimate Fighter 22) is an installment of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)-produced reality television series The Ultimate Fighter.

On July 12, 2015 it was announced that the coaches for the season would be Conor McGregor and Urijah Faber. The coaches are not expected to face each other at the end of the season.

The Coaches

Conor McGregor

"We're not just here to take part — we're here to take over."

– McGregor, speaking on Irish MMA following the Brandao fight.

Conor Anthony McGregor (born 14 July 1988) is an Irish mixed martial artist who currently competes in the featherweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He is the current UFC Interim Featherweight Champion. McGregor is also the former Cage Warriors featherweight and lightweight champion. As of 25 August 2015, he is the #1 ranked featherweight and #11 ranked pound-for-pound fighter in official UFC rankings.
Conor McGregor was born on 14 July 1988 in Dublin, Ireland. McGregor began his professional mixed martial arts (MMA) career in 2008 after leaving his job as a plumber. In 2009, he attended UFC 93 and was so inspired by the experience that he began pursuing a dream, of one day having a career in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. McGregor trained under the tutelage of John Kavanagh, the first Irish person to achieve a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and his team at SBG Ireland. McGregor was always fond of fighting and was no stranger to combat sports having already trained in boxing. With his boxing background as a base, he also trained in Taekwondo, Karate, Capoeira, and Kickboxing prior to competing in professional MMA. After his bout with Dustin Poirier at UFC 178, Kavanagh promoted McGregor to his Brazilian jiu-jitsu brown belt. McGregor trains at SBG alongside fellow UFC fighters such as Cathal Pendred and Gunnar Nelson.
McGregor was expected to face current champion José Aldo on 11 July 2015 at UFC 189 for the undisputed UFC Featherweight Championship. However, in the days leading up to the fight, Aldo pulled out of the bout because of a rib injury he had sustained in training. McGregor remained on the card and faced UFC ranked #1 contender Chad Mendes for the interim championship. McGregor walked out to the Octagon in front of more than sixteen thousand in attendance as Sinéad O'Connor performed a live rendition of Foggy Dew. McGregor was taken down several times by the All-American wrestler in the first round, but was able to score a second round TKO after getting back up to his feet with 30 seconds left in the round and winning the fight with just 3 seconds left, winning the UFC Interim Featherweight Championship.

Speaking to Joe Rogan in his post-fight Octagon interview, McGregor said:

“I’ve been hearing all the time that I’m protected from this style of opponent, that I’ve been gifted a title shot. So my title shot went running, and they gave me a guy who I was supposed to be protected from, I knew I was going to prove to people that I’m a true fighter. It doesn’t matter who it is. I show up and I’m a professional and I’m confident in my abilities.”

Later at the post-fight press conference, he said:

“He [Mendes] is certainly the best wrestler in the division. They try and find holes. They try and find questions that I’ve yet to answer. They try and find something that’s gonna break me: the weight cut, the wrestler. There’s always something but I always prevail, and I am always confident that I can take whatever these people give. I can walk through everything.”

The victory extended McGregor's Performance of the Night streak to four, while the card drew a record $7.2 million gate and was a new United States record for mixed martial arts.[34] The weigh-ins for the event also proved groundbreaking, with capacity being reached almost thirty minutes before its start time. The 11,500 attendance dwarfed the previous record of 8,000 set by UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II.

McGregor is now expected to face Aldo in a title unification match on 12 December 2015 at UFC 194.

Accomplishments

Interim UFC Featherweight Championship (One time, current)
Knockout of the Night (One time) vs. Marcus Brimage
Performance of the Night (Four times) vs. Diego Brandão, Dustin Poirier, Dennis Siver and Chad Mendes

CWFC Featherweight Championship (One time)
CWFC Lightweight Championship (One time)

World MMA Awards
2014 International Fighter of the Year

Sherdog
2014 Breakthrough Fighter of the Year

Combat Press
2014 Breakout Fighter of the Year

MMA Insider
2013 Best UFC Newcomer

Urijah Faber

The Fighters

TEAM FABER (USA)

1. Ryan Hall
2. Thanh Le
3. Julian Erosa
4. Billy Quarantillo
5. Jason Gonzalez
6. Tom Gallicchio
7. Chris Gruetzemacher
8. James Jenkins

TEAM MCGREGOR (EUROPE)

1. David Teymur
2. Mehdi Baghdad
3. Saul Rogers
4. Frantz Slioa
5. Abner Lloveras
6. Martin Svensson
7. Marcin Wrzosek
8. Sascha Sharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

OP does a pretty good job.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

First of the season's fighter blogs, I expect there'll be more.

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

I love Uriah's bio, it's nice and short.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

-Atom- posted:

it's Urijah

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm constantly mixing up whether Faber or Hall is the one with the J.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
how is that possible. urijah faber has had ten times the career of uriah hall.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

After Conor beat Chad, he made a special point to thank his coaches, and that no man is self made. He then promptly went on to do nothing for his fighters beyond appearing for their fights.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

I'm constantly mixing up whether Faber or Hall is the one with the J.

Just remember that Faber's "J" is a partial drawing of his chin.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I would get it if everyone started saying Urijah Hall because yeah nobody should give a poo poo how to spell his name properly but this bum shows up and now everybody confuses his name with one of the best lighter weight fighters ever. how in the gently caress

when does Fhrankie Edgor make his debut on the Fight Pass prelims so everybody forgets how to write Frankie's name too

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
It almost seems like the shows editing is framing McGregor as this guy who is only really there for himself and doesn't give a poo poo about the fighters which is an odd thing to do for their golden boy.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Le Saboteur posted:

It almost seems like the shows editing is framing McGregor as this guy who is only really there for himself and doesn't give a poo poo about the fighters which is an odd thing to do for their golden boy.

ronda also complained about her edit, i think the editors just work with what they've got tbh there's no agenda

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsi_xZE6814

Ryan Hall seems unhappy about winning.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Street Horrrsing posted:

After Conor beat Chad, he made a special point to thank his coaches, and that no man is self made. He then promptly went on to do nothing for his fighters beyond appearing for their fights.

Like literally the next episode preview shows him training with them and them discussing it afterwards, but definitely take TJ Dillashaw's word for it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Le Saboteur posted:

Where are you getting this? Literally one episode has been shown, and it ended with McGregor meeting his team for the first time.

:goonsay:

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bubba Smith posted:

when does Fhrankie Edgor make his debut on the Fight Pass prelims so everybody forgets how to write Frankie's name too

lol

Feb 1, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

I would get it if everyone started saying Urijah Hall because yeah nobody should give a poo poo how to spell his name properly but this bum shows up and now everybody confuses his name with one of the best lighter weight fighters ever. how in the gently caress

I spelled it like it sounds, I can pronounce it correctly and I can tell him by the double chin and that he's won a fight or two. When people start misidentifying Jon Jones you can start to really flip out.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

evil spiff posted:

I spelled it like it sounds, I can pronounce it correctly and I can tell him by the double chin and that he's won a fight or two. When people start misidentifying Jon Jones you can start to really flip out.

bubba smith is right and you're wrong

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

evil spiff posted:

Strangely, I don't think I've ever seen someone call him John Jones. Yet we get so many people who write Rhonda Rousey.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

fatherdog posted:

Like literally the next episode preview shows him training with them and them discussing it afterwards, but definitely take TJ Dillashaw's word for it

In a promo video to hype Wednesday’s “TUF 22” debut on FOX Sports 1, “Team Europe” coach McGregor laid it out plain, saying, “I’m not going to be really hands-on in the gym.” The Irish superstar also made it clear he doesn’t want anyone to buy into the hype of a rivalry against the Urijah Faber-coached “Team USA.”

“I brought them in the other day, and I told them, ‘Forget Team Europe. Forget Team USA,’” McGregor said. “It’s fake, and it’s fabricated. It’s all fabricated bullsh-t in this business. I told them to remember their team back home. Remember their families. Remember why they’re here. They are here for their people back home, their families and their financial security. All the rest of it is absolutely nothing. I explained that to them.”

So why is McGregor there?

“I’m simply going to provide the platform for them,” he said. “I’m going to bring the eyes to the screen for them. I’m going to provide coaches that I have come up with. But, really, it’s a six-week run of fights on and off. The training is done. I’m not going to go in and teach them anything. Their training should already be done. You should already have your hard rounds done. Now, it’s about keeping the body fresh.”

McGregor has other plans that are unconventional for coaches on the reality show. Mainly, he intends to skip most, if not all, of the training sessions for his team.

“I’m not going to be at every training session, if I’m even going to be at any training session,” McGregor said. “I’m just going to be there picking the fights and doing that obligation, and I’ll be at the fights. But I have my team of coaches that will be preparing them and I truly believe that they will give them the right training.”

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Street Horrrsing posted:

Street Horrrsing posted:

I’m going to provide coaches that I have come up with.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Street Horrrsing posted:

In a promo video to hype Wednesday’s “TUF 22” debut on FOX Sports 1, “Team Europe” coach McGregor laid it out plain, saying, “I’m not going to be really hands-on in the gym.” The Irish superstar also made it clear he doesn’t want anyone to buy into the hype of a rivalry against the Urijah Faber-coached “Team USA.”

“I brought them in the other day, and I told them, ‘Forget Team Europe. Forget Team USA,’” McGregor said. “It’s fake, and it’s fabricated. It’s all fabricated bullsh-t in this business. I told them to remember their team back home. Remember their families. Remember why they’re here. They are here for their people back home, their families and their financial security. All the rest of it is absolutely nothing. I explained that to them.”

So why is McGregor there?

“I’m simply going to provide the platform for them,” he said. “I’m going to bring the eyes to the screen for them. I’m going to provide coaches that I have come up with. But, really, it’s a six-week run of fights on and off. The training is done. I’m not going to go in and teach them anything. Their training should already be done. You should already have your hard rounds done. Now, it’s about keeping the body fresh.”

McGregor has other plans that are unconventional for coaches on the reality show. Mainly, he intends to skip most, if not all, of the training sessions for his team.

“I’m not going to be at every training session, if I’m even going to be at any training session,” McGregor said. “I’m just going to be there picking the fights and doing that obligation, and I’ll be at the fights. But I have my team of coaches that will be preparing them and I truly believe that they will give them the right training.”

I don't disagree with any of this, really

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Street Horrrsing posted:

That seems consistent with his no self-made men quote. Also like FD said he is providing his coaches that helped mould him.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Street Horrrsing posted:

"But, really, it’s a six-week run of fights on and off. The training is done. I’m not going to go in and teach them anything. Their training should already be done. You should already have your hard rounds done. Now, it’s about keeping the body fresh.”

This part especially, a lot of coaches in the past seasons (I don't know if it's gotten better I haven't watched TUF since Sonnen/Jones) seem to push hard training the whole time and when you're possibly fighting 3 times in a couple weeks doesn't seem great

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

henkman posted:

This part especially, a lot of coaches in the past seasons (I don't know if it's gotten better I haven't watched TUF since Sonnen/Jones) seem to push hard training the whole time and when you're possibly fighting 3 times in a couple weeks doesn't seem great

There was one season in there in which one team was claiming that they were winning because the opponents were overtraining. It became an ongoing theme. I can't remember which.

Feb 1, 2005

-Atom- posted:

bubba smith is right and you're wrong

You're right. I'm going to go back and edit my post to reflect the correct spelling, that will clear up this mess, and finally get Uriajah the fame he rightly deserves.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Of the three Swedes in this season Martin Svensson should have the edge due being a more experienced reality show contestant after taking part in the Swedish version of Masterchef a few years ago. I imagine this will prove invaluable.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

CommonShore posted:

There was one season in there in which one team was claiming that they were winning because the opponents were overtraining. It became an ongoing theme. I can't remember which.

I think it was the Tito season, when he had his team training super hard the day before a fight. There was also the one coach's challenge where they had to ride exercise bikes and they tricked a guy who had a fight the next day into going all-out to win using a guy who had already been cut. Or am I thinking of another show?

henkman posted:

I don't disagree with any of this, really

This reminds me of Roy Nelson being demonized for wanting to fight Kimbo because he wanted the quickest, easiest path to the TUF finale.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

red19fire posted:

I think it was the Tito season, when he had his team training super hard the day before a fight. There was also the one coach's challenge where they had to ride exercise bikes and they tricked a guy who had a fight the next day into going all-out to win using a guy who had already been cut. Or am I thinking of another show?

This reminds me of Roy Nelson being demonized for wanting to fight Kimbo because he wanted the quickest, easiest path to the TUF finale.

Well I think that the latter one is from TUF 2 when they had Joe Stevenson or whoever doing the climbaround spider drill on some heavyweight, and tiring himself out, and Matt Hughes just said "haha you win" and threw in the towel so his fighters didn't tire themselves out.

No, the one I have in mind is much more recent. Google said that there was a bit of a theme of that on Edgar/Penn, though I didn't really watch that whole season.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Well I think that the latter one is from TUF 2 when they had Joe Stevenson or whoever doing the climbaround spider drill on some heavyweight, and tiring himself out, and Matt Hughes just said "haha you win" and threw in the towel so his fighters didn't tire themselves out.

No, the one I have in mind is much more recent. Google said that there was a bit of a theme of that on Edgar/Penn, though I didn't really watch that whole season.

It was Franklin who threw in the towel, Hughes let his guys do it. It likely didn't effect the outcome because Stevenson won the show anyway and Mike Whitehead is a terrible fighter.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

red19fire posted:

I think the Tito vs Shamrock season it was Ken who was having his team train hard all the time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lebov was terrible I hope he is knocked out early because Conor is definitely brining him back as his wild card.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Frank Shamrock did some stupid poo poo at the start where he wanted them to pick up some big weight or something and carry it a distance to show they wanted it bad enough and they all thought he was out of his mind. Then he spent the rest of the season playing golf if I remember right. At least it beats Bisping who seemed to have spent the entire six weeks drinking. I also remember a Matt Hughes season I think where after their fighter won they all went totally nuts in the gym because they were pumped and exhausted themselves

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Where are you getting this? Literally one episode has been shown, and it ended with McGregor meeting his team for the first time.

:goonsay:

That moment where Conor walks into the locker room hugs one guy and walks out and then they cut to Urijah shaking everyone's hands and shooting the poo poo really sticks out.

Edit: Thanh Le looks like one of the most exciting fighters this season.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 11, 2015

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Lebov was terrible I hope he is knocked out early because Conor is definitely brining him back as his wild card.

He's been probably the cockiest guy with the shittiest professional record on this season.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

henkman posted:

It varies some of them have been smart and given days off and done different poo poo, other coaches are more pushy. I think Sonnen's the best though, he did the same training so he knew exactly how they felt.

chuck had a smiliar style they just game planned for their fights, and he tweaked some stuff here and there and cleaned up technique. Like McGregor said, it's 6 weeks. You're not going to invent the wheel in that time. The best you can do is be smart with their bodies, prepare them properly and clean up a few things.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
The first episode was pretty good and I'm excited for the rest of the season. I wanna see Thanh fight again because his knock out was slick and he had some nice kicks. There was a few decent fighters and the episode showed promise for this season. That heel hook was great too. I loved the guy who said that he believes no man can beat him and then he got owned in front of his wife and Dana yelled at the ref to stop the fight. That was funny.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Meowbot posted:

The first episode was pretty good and I'm excited for the rest of the season. I wanna see Thanh fight again because his knock out was slick and he had some nice kicks. There was a few decent fighters and the episode showed promise for this season. That heel hook was great too. I loved the guy who said that he believes no man can beat him and then he got owned in front of his wife and Dana yelled at the ref to stop the fight. That was funny.

Oh god that was an uncomfortably long beating. The constant cuts back to his partner didn't help.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I thought that was a pretty great first episode. I don't know if Dana was paying out some under the table bonuses or something but almost all the fighters really were going for it. The first four guys that won their fights all looked pretty sharp too (Hall, Teymur, Le and Baghdad).

I didn't like seeing that guy get his shoulder dislocated a couple of times though. Also that guy (Springer?) who got kneed to death had a pretty unpleasant experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Guy dislocated his shoulder 3 times and only quit when his opponent took him down and sat on it. That looked painful as hell.

• Locked thread