Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Le Saboteur posted:

Guy dislocated his shoulder 3 times and only quit when his opponent took him down and sat on it. That looked painful as hell.

Yeah that Croatian dude was straight MAN about that poo poo. And when it was over he was just pissed he didn't win. Kept throwing punches with the hosed up arm too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Le Saboteur posted:

Oh god that was an uncomfortably long beating. The constant cuts back to his partner didn't help.

It was pretty hard to watch but the irony of it was beautiful especially the part where he said "no man can stop me, especially here in this competition".

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Whatever lighting rig they have that puts little gleaming circles in people's eyes for all the interview segments is weirdly distracting to me

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Team Faber guys should have had state flags if Conor's dudes had their individual country flags

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

fatherdog posted:

Whatever lighting rig they have that puts little gleaming circles in people's eyes for all the interview segments is weirdly distracting to me

It's a ring light and yeah it's weird.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
AWKWARD BANTER TIME

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

AWKWARD BANTER TIME

Long, awkward pauses ahoy

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Long, awkward pauses ahoy

They better start making out by episode 3

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm interested to see if somebody can make Hall strike with them for a while. A guy with his submission skills can go pretty far in the B-leagues just putting his hands up and bulling forward, I'm curious if he's managed to acquire any level of comfort exchanging.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I'm interested to see if somebody can make Hall strike with them for a while. A guy with his submission skills can go pretty far in the B-leagues just putting his hands up and bulling forward, I'm curious if he's managed to acquire any level of comfort exchanging.

He might have better chance of exchanging pleasantries with another person than hands

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
He won a couple of fights by TKO, but who knows just how awful his opponents in those fights were.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I feel like this won't happen until he gets into the UFC proper. Talent level on this seasons seems low.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

A reminder that Dana sent home the welterweights at tryouts because of how bad they collectively sucked.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hall loving owns and I want him to win the entire show on heel hooks

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone have a clip of the finish?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The only prospects I see on this show right now from the eliminations seem to be on the American side.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Keg posted:

He won a couple of fights by TKO, but who knows just how awful his opponents in those fights were.

You can get TKOs on the ground. It doesn't indicate that he was striking with anyone.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm Ryan Hall absolutely styling on Faber during training.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm also McGregor screaming at his fighter to "get up!"

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I bet McGregor threatened to walk or just half rear end the season when his teammate lost the fight to get in the house and that's why they brought him and the other guy back.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

tesilential posted:

I bet McGregor threatened to walk or just half rear end the season when his teammate lost the fight to get in the house and that's why they brought him and the other guy back.

Artem was literally the only guy they showed him giving any attention to in the premiere so at least in the editing of the show this makes sense.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

tesilential posted:

They've brought somebody back the last like three seasons, this isn't new.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

If Dana can't remember it is new to him. The jiu jitsu guy seemed real good.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

tesilential posted:

I'm also McGregor screaming at his fighter to "get up!"

Ah I see he's taking tips from the Rampage Jackson school of TUF cornering.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Due to injury, yeah.

But I don't recall them just having a dude show up randomly on the first day :-/

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They've had wild cards before. Dana probably just wants to cut a lay and pray guy.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Loving Ryan Hall, he seems to have that level of extreme confidence/arrogance that will propel him to very big things. I love how tense it makes me as soon as he gets hold of a leg, it's just like watching Paul Harris.
There seems to be enough machismo and stubbornness on both teams this season that I can imagine a few trips to the hospital with twisted knees.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I thought the way they did it before was by having only 28 elimination fights so the wild cards would round it out to 16? This 18 fighters with one winner getting dropped thing is new. I don't think it was a last minute change to bring Artem back, but it's at least a plausible narrative that they weren't originally planning for wild cards this season.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Dana has been trying for years to find a way around the "Roy Nelson effect" where the smartest fighters give just enough to win their fights and save their energy and health for the final fight. The fact it took him this long to just say, "gently caress it! I'll just cut the biggest Roy Nelson!" is kind of surprising.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It will be cool to see Hall submit all of these dudes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It will be cool to see Hall submit all of these dudes.

Those heel hooks are sweet as heck, and he said they're not even what he's best at!

Also can someone who knows BJJ better tell me if Frantz had a chance to escape when McGregor said he did. It did seem like he decided to try and attack Hall on the ground rather than extricate himself at the start of the scrambley bits. Or am I totally wrong?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Also can someone who knows BJJ better tell me if Frantz had a chance to escape when McGregor said he did. It did seem like he decided to try and attack Hall on the ground rather than extricate himself at the start of the scrambley bits. Or am I totally wrong?

McGregor's knowledge of the position is probably not a tenth of Ryan's. The best publically available instructional material available on the 50/50 guard is a 4 hour DVD set released by Ryan Hall himself, and it was six years ago, which means he's probably made a lot of tweaks and improvements since then.

edit: so, no

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 18, 2015

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Conor saying there's a difference between losing and getting caught makes me wonder if he has the same view on his losses.

I think I read something a few years ago that said fighters that accept their losses make better improvements than fighters that treat them as flukes.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

tesilential posted:

he told his team day one he wasnt interested in anyone but artem... if at all. artem losing was gold

dudes get injured so they bring people back all the time... if that isnt how it went down lol. artem still not going to win anything

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

LobsterMobster posted:

Conor saying there's a difference between losing and getting caught makes me wonder if he has the same view on his losses.

I think I read something a few years ago that said fighters that accept their losses make better improvements than fighters that treat them as flukes.

im reading the secret and theres no chapter on "losing cage fights" so keep wondering

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

It's probably how he explains away his loss to Joe Duffy.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

He timed that take down for the leg lock perfectly. Dude is slick as hell.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You can get TKOs on the ground. It doesn't indicate that he was striking with anyone.

A reminder that Werdum has a couple of TKOs that are just him effortlessly sweeping people and punching them. Shane Carwin has a submission that's just him sitting on someone and punching them. Heavyweight owns.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fatherdog posted:

SquirrelGrip posted:

he told his team day one he wasnt interested in anyone but artem... if at all.

Don't get wrong I love Conor. But I can easily see him telling Dana straight up he ain't gonna show up much unless they give him a reason, like throwing his boy back in the mix immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

The episode where Artem gets merc'd by some Team USA guy is going to be a fun one.

• Locked thread