Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I too am skeptical of a "Web development" program. We have one at our junior college nearby and it's a total sham. It's 10 years out of date and the curriculum mandates like IE 8 or maybe 9 development environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

that's fine, I work with tons of engineers who can't come up with a creative solution or write a paragraph to save their lives

not all of them, but a lot of them need to be told exactly what to do or they'll gently caress it all up. giving them a problem to solve on their own means you're paying them to sit and do nothing.

I would love to see a humanities major try to instruct an engineer on how to do their job. They're probably a lot better at writing pharmaceutical brochures, ill give them that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

I would love to see a humanities major try to instruct an engineer on how to do their job. They're probably a lot better at writing pharmaceutical brochures, ill give them that.

personally my favorite is when a client is trying to explain to some sperglord about how they want the final product to look and the engineer just does not loving get it until someone else takes the client's info and re-phrases it in simple easy terms for the engineer to understand

not all engineers are brilliant you know. some are, there's a lot that aren't.

I'm not even a STEM major and I had to write pseudocode for someone one time because they just didn't loving get it until it was written out for them. I'm not talking about telling them what to do line by line, I'm talking about how they need specific instruction on what to code because creativity is often not a trait shared by STEM people (although it should be since you need to come up with solutions but that's why there are good engineers and bad ones).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 10, 2015

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Why don't I hear any sleep screams?

SopWATh posted:

If it's anything other than shitloads of javascript programming (I guess there's PHP and SQL junk you could do too) run away

Yup. JavaScript has only gotten more integral to the development process and its gonna grow even more. I think it's too soon to tell if things like MEAN stack are gonna stick around long term but people sure do love Angular and node.js right now.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

personally my favorite is when a client is trying to explain to some sperglord about how they want the final product to look and the engineer just does not loving get it until someone else takes the client's info and re-phrases it in simply easy terms for the engineer to understand

not all engineers are brilliant you know. some are, there's a lot that aren't.

I'm not even a STEM major and I had to write pseudocode for someone one time because they just didn't loving get it until it was written out for them.

So Richard Riehle's character(Tom) from Office Space then?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

So Richard Riehle's character(Tom) from Office Space then?

kinda but instead of likeable sociable software engineers it's more like a bunch of nerdy shut ins who can't carry on a conversation

again it varies, they're not all like that. there's a lot that are, though.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Incomplete Fish posted:

Nah, i'm an engineering major.
edit: my point was the entire field has historically been self taught people who did cool things on their own time and got jobs through that. If OP is getting a traditional comp.sci. degree chances he has something silly like a 90%+ job placement rate doing something, but if his degree is in anything but and he wants to do "a website" then hes wasting his time

Wow you're really holding on to that ignorant arrogance that engineering students seem to get once they know how to do math. It's a good thing you're here to tell us that there is absolutely no demand for web development, nope.

I wish there was a university that required you to be like 25 to attend and wasn't a lovely rip off. I'm tired of dealing with the little shitheads who should've been drowned in a river if their parents wanted to get rid of them.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Windows 98 posted:

All in all though I enjoyed it and can't wait to slay this semester and snipe a 4.0 because now that I'm not 18 I actually give a gently caress. I'm just really happy so I thought I'd share with you goons.

You and me both brother :hfive:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

dougdrums posted:

You and me both brother :hfive:

just go to class and do some of the reading and youll be fine

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I'm actually going full time and I'm bored as poo poo. Like if you're literate you can get a college degree.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

yea college is pretty easy

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
hopefully this won't lead to a 2016 sucked tattoo

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
good for you op, go bone some college guys/girls/both

psychic chasms
Oct 23, 2012

SCREWED UP CLICK TILL THEY LAY ME IN MY CASKET
my major was english rhetoric but i always just tell people "rhetoric" because every english major i ever met was either a boring mom on the language arts track to become a teacher or doing the creative writing concentration because they were insufferable tumblr girls or guys in corduroy pants who unironically wanted to write their memoirs at 21

nobody knows what rhetoric is though, is the problem

that is my college story

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

where did you go that rhetoric is a major. thats like a single class that a grad student takes

psychic chasms
Oct 23, 2012

SCREWED UP CLICK TILL THEY LAY ME IN MY CASKET

Blue Raider posted:

where did you go that rhetoric is a major. thats like a single class that a grad student takes

rhetoric is pretty dope, actually

i guess it was technically one of the english degree tracks but i just went to an unremarkable state uni

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dougdrums posted:

Wow you're really holding on to that ignorant arrogance that engineering students seem to get once they know how to do math. It's a good thing you're here to tell us that there is absolutely no demand for web development, nope.

I wish there was a university that required you to be like 25 to attend and wasn't a lovely rip off. I'm tired of dealing with the little shitheads who should've been drowned in a river if their parents wanted to get rid of them.

lmao did you fail calc 2 and change your major to psych or something i sense a lot of anger. A lotta people read "engineering" and go off the handle b/c they themselves tried and failed. please notice the poster on the other page who quoted me and refuted my argument logically instead of spitting vitriol.

edit: I'm Gay.

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 11, 2015

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

It's cool being older because I don't have to declare my parents' income, so with grants and scholarships I'm actually being paid to go to college.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Incomplete Fish posted:

lmao did you fail calc 2 and change your major to psych or something i sense a lot of anger. A lotta people read "engineering" and go off the handle b/c they themselves tried and failed. please notice the poster on the other page who quoted me and refuted my argument logically instead of spitting vitriol.

edit: I'm Gay.

Calc 2 is hard bro

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Incomplete Fish posted:

Hah not at all kid. I got a C+ 7 years ago. Not to mention that I, you know, did it for a living before.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 11, 2015

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

dougdrums posted:

Hah not at all kid. I got a C+ 7 years ago.

I got a B+ but I honestly think the professor wanted to kiss my lips or jack off together or something because I bombed the poo poo out of the final

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
C+ is pretty good IMO for spending all of my time getting high with girls.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
is this some kind of earnest post about your real life with feelings?

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dougdrums posted:

Hah not at all kid. I got a C+ 7 years ago. Not to mention that I, you know, did it for a living before.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

psychic chasms posted:

my major was english rhetoric but i always just tell people "rhetoric" because every english major i ever met was either a boring mom on the language arts track to become a teacher or doing the creative writing concentration because they were insufferable tumblr girls or guys in corduroy pants who unironically wanted to write their memoirs at 21

nobody knows what rhetoric is though, is the problem

that is my college story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG_sYgw8rUo

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

lol that's the best you can come up with? At least try to impress us.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dougdrums posted:

lol that's the best you can come up with? At least try to impress us.

Had to keep it easy for you.Didn't wanna go over your head, etc etc.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Prorat posted:

Your music career didnt pan out? Shocking!

Actually we were signed to a major label, toured, sold 120,000ish songs/albums, and played large shows. The reason it didn't pan out is inter-band drama. I get the feeling you think I am a poo poo musician.

Anyway, I don't have the exact course program in front of me but it's a heavy comp-sci web dev program. I made sure it wasn't sketchy garbage before enrolling in it. COMPUUUUTERRRRSSS

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i got 2 drug felonies and the state of california still pays for me to go to community college suck it you bitchass taxpayers

also i got my humanities BA straight out of high school and now i'm getting a technical AA at almost 30 and it's crazy they actually expect me to work instead of just showing up high to every other lecture

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

the great deceiver posted:

i got 2 drug felonies and the state of california still pays for me to go to community college suck it you bitchass taxpayers

That is good and it makes me happy. Godspeed and smoke weed every day

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Windows 98 posted:

I'm doing 2 years at a community college for the credits because financially it is much less expensive than a state school. After I have the credits I'll be transferring and finishing my last 2 years at a state school.

This is a genuinely good idea. Make sure ahead of time that you can transfer as many credits as possible, though. No point paying for classes that don't transfer.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Tendai posted:

Don't be that older student who thinks that anyone gives a poo poo about what they have to say because of their ~*life experiences*~

op is 24 lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

if engineers could understand real math they would be physics majors. engineers are just glorified tech mechs for the most part.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Ahundredbux posted:

op is 24 lol
Still happens, even more insufferable because they think mid-20s is "old."

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I am actually a 1000 year old wizard :ssh:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i dropped out of high school when i was 16 to help on the family farm and i never looked back. i plant crops and milk cows for a living and i find it very rewarding.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

dad gay. so what posted:

i dropped out of high school when i was 16 to help on the family farm and i never looked back. i plant crops and milk cows for a living and i find it very rewarding.
Did you find your wife on farmersonly.com

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Tendai posted:

Did you find your wife on farmersonly.com

That's not for farmers it's for white supremacists.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
for real though there's a real deficit in creative thinking in the engineering pipeline, I'm heading a dozen dudes on our senior undergrad project and slightly rearranging the diagram for aesthetic reasons made most of them forget how it worked

now i'm trying a 'matrix' approach in that i encourage them to think of the components in the system as dynamically sortable at this stage and i think that just made things worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Windows 98 posted:

I am 24 and never went to college because I pursued a music career after high school that after a few years didn't pan out. Now I am going back to school for web development and I am really excited. Just had my first day and it was surreal being in a classroom again. All in all though I enjoyed it and can't wait to slay this semester and snipe a 4.0 because now that I'm not 18 I actually give a gently caress. I'm just really happy so I thought I'd share with you goons.

Stay safe from active shooters

• Locked thread