Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
momerath
Nov 15, 2014
i'm a little worried about colage. my high school gpa is very low (sub 2.5 lol) and i'm concerned that schools that i applied to are going to take that seriously. i graduated high school 6 years ago, am I really going to be held to that standard alone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

momerath posted:

i'm a little worried about colage. my high school gpa is very low (sub 2.5 lol) and i'm concerned that schools that i applied to are going to take that seriously. i graduated high school 6 years ago, am I really going to be held to that standard alone?

nah go to community college and spend a little time on khan/wolfram before you do their placement tests

chances are they'll have you do remedial classes though, which they'll probably never bother to mention don't count for college credit

going straight to a four year is dumb

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

momerath posted:

How bad are you at english and math? If you go to community college they will just test you for placement and when you transfer to a 4 year they could not give a gently caress less about how you did in highschool.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
i think op should take a course on remedial shovel beatings

momerath
Nov 15, 2014

Hobohemian posted:

How bad are you at english and math? If you go to community college they will just test you for placement and when you transfer to a 4 year they could not give a gently caress less about how you did in highschool.

eh, i'm not too bad, i was in ap classes all through high school but i hosed off a lot especially in my senior year so that's strongly reflected in my gpa. and yeah i've been thinking of going to some poo poo community college at the risk of losing a semester of gi bill funds

The Protagonist posted:

nah go to community college and spend a little time on khan/wolfram before you do their placement tests

chances are they'll have you do remedial classes though, which they'll probably never bother to mention don't count for college credit

going straight to a four year is dumb

yeah, i'm really considering it, although i'm kind of stuck in this weird time frame since i got extended a year for my military contract. so i ended up getting out just as the fall semester began which puts me between a dick and a hard place as far as viable timely options go

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
If an idiot like myself can get a computer science and software engineering degree. So can anyone! I'm looking at you dance majors

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

momerath posted:

eh, i'm not too bad, i was in ap classes all through high school but i hosed off a lot especially in my senior year so that's strongly reflected in my gpa. and yeah i've been thinking of going to some poo poo community college at the risk of losing a semester of gi bill funds

Depending on the university you want to transfer to you might be able to test out of entire classes completely while also getting credit for them but you would have to go through the university for that as it has little to do with the community college. Just call them and they have a transfer adviser that can help you streamline the whole process.

Some states also offer significant financial grants when you go to community college so you may not need a dime even if you can't use the GI bill for that.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like you're on a pretty smart path for the next four years. Good on you. Don't forget about clubs and extracurricular projects because a degree alone won't take you far.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Also network like crazy with your peers. Make friends with people in your major as well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Windows 98 posted:

I'm doing 2 years at a community college for the credits because financially it is much less expensive than a state school. After I have the credits I'll be transferring and finishing my last 2 years at a state school.

good show OP, this was my plan exactly and it has worked swimmingly. welcome to the world of being the old guy in a class full of teenagers. frying chickens for a living is no way for a human to exist

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Throwing a kegger this weekend?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Make sure you leave your door open!!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Nooner posted:

Make sure you leave your door open!!

My back door?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Make sure you interrupt the professor every day to pipe in with your own experience. Preface every comment with "As a ..."

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
youre gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Despite being a dick in this thread, I saw this and figured I can actually offer constructive input.

momerath posted:

Clep out of the baby classes, they cost 80 bux a test and count as course equivalencies.

this is a clep:
https://clep.collegeboard.org/exam

edit: this owuld probably save you a semester or two of remedial math/college algebra.

edit 2: you're military too, you can prob clep for free.

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 11, 2015

• Locked thread