Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I am 24 and never went to college because I pursued a music career after high school that after a few years didn't pan out. Now I am going back to school for web development and I am really excited. Just had my first day and it was surreal being in a classroom again. All in all though I enjoyed it and can't wait to slay this semester and snipe a 4.0 because now that I'm not 18 I actually give a gently caress. I'm just really happy so I thought I'd share with you goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
If you are in community college, get ready for some awesome gently caress-all-these-flunkies feels when people start dropping like flies

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I'm doing 2 years at a community college for the credits because financially it is much less expensive than a state school. After I have the credits I'll be transferring and finishing my last 2 years at a state school.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
You are going to be excited but annoyed as poo poo because they will treat you like a child for a few weeks.

Keep up on your reading and make friends with your Professors.
The Professor everyone bitches about and thinks is a huge dick? He is probably your best friend, so go talk to him.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Windows 98 posted:

I'm doing 2 years at a community college for the credits because financially it is much less expensive than a state school. After I have the credits I'll be transferring and finishing my last 2 years at a state school.

A wise course of action. Good luck!

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Windows 98 posted:

Smart move.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

transfer to amherst as all the other state schools are trash

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Profondo Rosso posted:

transfer to amherst as all the other state schools are trash

I was probably going to go to Worcester State because I'll be living in Worcester and it is easier. And I am not interested in partying so who cares.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Windows 98 posted:

I am 24 and never went to college because I pursued a music career after high school that after a few years didn't pan out. Now I am going back to school for web development and I am really excited.

"Web development" is something the neighbor kid down the block does for a pittance to pay for drugs or whatever. You will make less money going down this path than you would had you stuck to music. There aren't even many jobs for Front End Developers these days because its literally a skill anybody can teach themselves in like 9 months to a year by reading books and asking questions. That major/degree path is next to useless.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Incomplete Fish posted:

"Web development" is something the neighbor kid down the block does for a pittance to pay for drugs or whatever. You will make less money going down this path than you would had you stuck to music. There aren't even many jobs for Front End Developers these days because its literally a skill anybody can teach themselves in like 9 months to a year by reading books and asking questions. That major/degree path is next to useless.

I am going for backend development / computer science. Web Design would be front end.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
have any gay experiences yet?

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

Windows 98 posted:

school for web development
lol

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Windows 98 posted:

I am going for backend development / computer science

Oh I got the impression your major was actually "web development".

Yeah do your thing goon but uhh... be flexible. A regular comp.sci. degree is not a bad investment at all.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
go to class drunk and remember "NEVER wear a rubber"

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
keep your door open

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

good job op its never too late to better your life with an education

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

logical phalluses posted:

keep your door open

My neighbor does this except she's not a college student shes a 50(or meth 40 can't tell) year old woman that everyone in the complex hates. Not as much as I hate her though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol gently caress school

get your certifications and start your career

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

watch out there are 17 year old girls of questionable morality

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

smoke weed, youll be cool

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

be sure to bring an apple for teach lest he think you a fag

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
hey windows you always assume im trolling and dont answer but im genuinely curious are you still legally able to get federal or state grants for college due to your legal history

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

extra stout posted:

hey windows you always assume im trolling and dont answer but im genuinely curious are you still legally able to get federal or state grants for college due to your legal history

lol it gets better and better

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 3 years!)

What's up non-traditional student buddy!

I went back to school last year through my community college. After this semester I transfer back to the state university to finish my bachelors. I'm going to stay there and work on my masters in business.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
when i was in college there was a weird kid in the front who said like nothing ever and one day he looked into a paper bag that i assume had his lunch in it and got really agitated about it and then got up and left in the middle of the class (this was a small class not a giant auditorium) and walked outside in the halls and since I sat next to the door I could see through the frosted glass he wound up and just chucked the entire bag down at the floor really hard

so thats college

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Incomplete Fish posted:

Haha what?

Are you like my old coworker who was insufferable to work with and developed a reputation that preceded him so bad that he had to move four states away to find work? Cos hearing him bitch that "poo poo man, nobody in town is hiring and I mean NO-BODY" was hilarious. Meanwhile my inbox is filled with offers. Hell I had a buddy txt me this morning with a job working at home that pays something like$85,000 to gently caress around with javascript frameworks and Photoshop.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Colledge sucks spend the money on drugs instead

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CuteJen96 posted:

What's up non-traditional student buddy!

I went back to school last year through my community college. After this semester I transfer back to the state university to finish my bachelors. I'm going to stay there and work on my masters in business.

:swoon: be my logistics waifu :swoon:

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

smoke weed, youll be cool

definitely don't do this, that stuff messed me up bad

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Pitdragon posted:

definitely don't do this, that stuff messed me up bad

Yeah, you shouldn't smoke weed if you're a total bitch with no willpower.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

Haha what?

Are you like my old coworker who was insufferable to work with and developed a reputation that preceded him so bad that he had to move four states away to find work? Cos hearing him bitch that "poo poo man, nobody in town is hiring and I mean NO-BODY" was hilarious. Meanwhile my inbox is filled with offers. Hell I had a buddy txt me this morning with a job working at home that pays something like$85,000 to gently caress around with javascript frameworks and Photoshop.

Nah, i'm an engineering major.
edit: my point was the entire field has historically been self taught people who did cool things on their own time and got jobs through that. If OP is getting a traditional comp.sci. degree chances he has something silly like a 90%+ job placement rate doing something, but if his degree is in anything but and he wants to do "a website" then hes wasting his time

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 10, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Incomplete Fish posted:

lol it gets better and better

he has posted about it like 8 times im not doxing anyone or whatever its called,

i actually saw a kid at community college like 2 years ago who was in the news locally for stealing all the ipads from a local store (not exactly the lufthansa heist but definitely some felonies) and i wondered if he has to pay 100 percent of his own tuition now or if they just dont care about crime as long as its not drugs

i did not ask that guy though because it wasnt on the internet when i saw him

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

extra stout posted:

he has posted about it like 8 times im not doxing anyone or whatever its called,

i actually saw a kid at community college like 2 years ago who was in the news locally for stealing all the ipads from a local store (not exactly the lufthansa heist but definitely some felonies) and i wondered if he has to pay 100 percent of his own tuition now or if they just dont care about crime as long as its not drugs

i did not ask that guy though because it wasnt on the internet when i saw him

Giving someone an education is actually a pretty good way to get people to stop committing crimes.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lol did you have a hilarious time with your friends, just like in the hit TV show "Community"?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Hobohemian posted:

Giving someone an education is actually a pretty good way to get people to stop committing crimes.

i agree, but the american government doesnt

if you are convicted of a drug related crime, even too much weed you actually legally owe the government any tuition assistance you got during/since the crime, because they are fine with educating murderers but pot dealers GET BENT FUKRRS

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

i strap ppl to a chair and force them to become educated

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

every criminal is a desperate student waiting to absorb knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

if i had only learned not to steal poo poo and shoot at ppl in a classroom from an old lady

• Locked thread