Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
"District officials say the controversial practice of tracking students — or separating them based on talent and ability — is simply wrong."

Is this really controversial? Where is this controversy happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
That's really lovely but it seems to be a distinct issue from students having different levels of ability and classes that reflect that fact

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Sure - just use a measure of the singular concept of "student ability" that isn't heavily associated with racial and socioeconomic factors, and then place students into different tracks based on that measure. Seems simple enough, really.

I'm not sure why the course of action is to pretend all students are equal because racists might abuse the system. Shouldn't the goal be to improve educational opportunities for students with these disadvantages instead?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

computer parts posted:

What if the disadvantaged students benefit from an integrated class?

That's certainly possible, but I would be skeptical of the claim that they need to be in the same class using the same curriculum, as opposed to peer tutoring or some other system. I think there is a societal interest in helping high achieving students advance as well as ensuring a quality education for all students, and I don't believe those goals are mutually exclusive.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Nessus posted:

What does "helping high achieving students advance" mean here? Like there's this artificial dichotomy between having special courses for the Saiyan elite mathletes or whatever, and having coursework in which students engage in large amounts of peer tutoring. My understanding is that from a pedagogical perspective, peer tutoring is amazing for everyone concerned, and if you're in a situation where either all thirty kids in the class can get a lot of advantage, or the four hot shots can get a WHOLE lot of advantage and everyone else gets jack poo poo, I think you go with #1.

By the phrasing of the article, it seems like the school is keeping the common algebra 1/algebra 2/geometry/precalculus setup, but they're delaying algebra 1 to 9th grade for all students. That means they won't see calculus in high school unless they are extremely motivated to make it happen. Algebra to calculus is a bigger jump than middle school pre-algebra to algebra, and anecdotally I've noticed that spending a year on calculus in high school makes it easier in college. If ~10% of students are fully ready for algebra in 8th grade and they have to wait a year, that's a wasted opportunity to get them to where they could be.

• Locked thread