Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It sounds more like they are no longer teaching a class called "Algebra" and are instead actually trying to teach the concepts at an earlier age. Moron parents see this and blurt out "where's algebra??" It's in math.

As for "super-smart kids," cry me a river. They'll be fine no matter what, and their fussbudget parents should be ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

Ok, drop the parental bullshit for a second, but do you honestly believe that someone who is taking a little more math is some rare, unique, "super-smart" kid?

No I was specifically responding to the article talking about "super-smart kids."

quote:

Moreover, they're using this philosophy to ditch honors classes, and presumably courses like AP or IB. I don't know about you, but having access to those sorts of courses really made a difference for myself, and lots of others I went to school with.

I did fine in regular classes, and generally seemed to know more than kids in IB when the subject interested me.

quote:

I'm not about to claim that I'm "super-smart", but I don't think I would have been "fine no matter what" without that sort of challenging education. Parent's are always going to be obnoxious, but do you honestly believe that having no options for more challenging work is the right way to go?

I don't think it's as important as keeping kids with fewer advantages out of cycles of failure. I have literally no concern for the kid in the article or her tiger dad.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

asdf32 posted:

Generally wrong. I'll repeat the analogy from above: math to science and engineering is like spelling to literature.

Personally I spell at probably a 4th grade level and don't know know what the word adjective means. This is largely irrelevant to my ability to write on a computer (and I write at what, 10th grade level at least).

You've got a point, and if you had spent any more time trying to spell it would have taken valuable focus away from learning how to write. You might have ended up only being able to write at an 8th grade level.

• Locked thread