Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

:frogsiren:SERVER UP OCTOBER 17th 19:00 SERVER TIME:frogsiren:

Gelkis Alliance is up and running.

Nostalrius has done what a lot of people had been clamouring from: Made a PvE server. No ganking, no world PvE without turning the tag on. Otherwise, it should be the same, Nostalrius is an already-functional server with few bugs, progression was going nicely, so this is very promising.

More Nostalrius and Vanilla WoW info on the original thread.

But for some history: Nostalrius started, before Emerald Dream imploded, there wasn't a concentrated goon effort, and we were splintered. Slowly, goons began converging to Horde for levelling (since the Alliance guild was raid-oriented, and also took in non-goons), and at some point the Alliance one shattered due to pubs, so now most of us are on Horde. Within the summer, the server operators did an interest check, putting the PvE server up for ~30 minutes, to gauge how many people would be interested. It worked (obviously), with overwhelming support for it, including a LOT of people who'd never played on a private server before. So, in September, the server is up and running, and we're on the ground floor. I don't think that goon presence will be as high as with other MMOs, but I think there's enough people to have a good mass of goons levelling and playing together.

Some info, from the very informative Desmond

quote:

For anyone wanting to know more about the server:

• It's a 1.12 patch, but that means they are up to pre-TBC gaming experience while still working on earlier versions typical of retail wow (like on the pvp realm, they are currently adding BLW, which actually came out in 1.6). See a timeline here.
  • The forums are here. This is a great resource for wowplayers.txt, true to vanilla retail.
  • How to register an account, install, configure, and play. Note that you can make more than one account, but I think there is a limit to how many accounts you can make. However, they seem to be pretty strict on dual-boxing, especially in PvP.
  • Click here for a link to 1.12.1 add-ons.
  • The server's pvp realm regularly has up to 7K people online, and it's pretty stable.

The high population (up to 7K regularly) on the PvP realm has its pros and cons. It's easy to find groups for questing and dungeons, but leveling can be tough since areas are crowded. Also, when I played on the PvP realm, goons kept going back and forth between horde and alliance. The first horde guild died out, and then alliance was popular for a while until its guild fizzled, and then horde began a new guild. It seems successful, so if you want world pvp, go there.

Nostalrius has said that the PvE server will have a queue of 2500 at start, so who knows if this is going to be a major problem or not. Other than that, we have a chance to get in at the ground floor and I think Nost is the only 1x non-pay-to-win realm that has been very stable and popular, and probably the only so far that has offered a PvE realm. That will attract a lot of players most likely, wanting to relive vanilla or just check it out if they never have, without the annoyance of bored 60s camping you while you're trying to quest. World pvp can be fun, but it's just more time-consuming than not. Anyway, the new server seems to be a good chance to play on a pretty well-known stable place and get in at the ground floor. It'd be nice if enough goons could decide early which side to play; if not, I'm cool either way.

ADDONS
Vanilla was fine and all, but even before it started showing its years, it was leaving some stuff to be desired. There's a lot of addons floating around, ranging from minor, but useful (this item vendors for this much), to almost necessary (Decursive), to "you can have SA emotes in chat!". There's a big pack of them here, but unless you know which ones you want, you might be more interested in a pre-made pack. My own one is here, and it includes Decursive (you don't need it if you're not a Mage, I think), and all of Titan, with which I'd suggest turning it all off, and going one by one, rather than disabling individual components. It does include SAMotes as well, which you either have, or you :frogout: :v:

Swork posted:

Hey guys! Are you tired of being assaulted by spam-bots whenever you walk into a trade channel?
Is your ignore list always full?
Do you want to ignore anyone who says "Trump 2015"

Well if you said yes to any of these I have the solution for you!

SPAMTHROTTLE
https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5350

Seriously this thing is great and fully customization. I don't have any other chat addons so I don't know about conflicts, but no issues so far. If you really hate chat spammers this is the addon for you. HUGE quality of life change. Instructions for use included in the thread I linked.

TRIVIA

Tanners posted:

Let it be known that 5 brave adventurers laid to rest the powerful soul of our fallen Khan.
Praise be to Uthek and his predecessors. Long Live the Gelkis

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Is there actually a date for the PvE server yet? I'd like to start up on the PvE server but I'm really conscious about nicking goons from the PvP one, I was honestly just going to start totally fresh and not play with goons just to avoid any splintering of B&T.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

landofcake posted:

Is there actually a date for the PvE server yet? I'd like to start up on the PvE server but I'm really conscious about nicking goons from the PvP one, I was honestly just going to start totally fresh and not play with goons just to avoid any splintering of B&T.

Don't know when it will be up, sorry. You're right about the splintering though, don't want to poach Tanners's goons. Personally, I'm going to play on the PvE one. I hate PvP, world PvP especially, and I know I will enjoy it. If someone wants to come, sure, but I won't post on the thread about it, unless prompted. There are points to be made in not playing with goons, but in my experience, it's better than the alternative. Being helped and helping others, that's some fun times.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'd be down to play on this server, especially if we roll Alliance. PvP was ok when I played during Wrath/Cata but PvP Nost just has so many gankers it's really turned me off. Not sure how much time I'll be able to commit for a while though.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I'm alright with alliance or horde. Note that Nostalrius has announced they are opening a PvE server soon, but have not given a date yet. People in the announcement thread have estimated October, but nobody really knows. It's good to check interest here and figure out if we have enough folks to make a guild on one side or the other.

For anyone wanting to know more about the server:

• It's a 1.12 patch, but that means they are up to pre-TBC gaming experience while still working on earlier versions typical of retail wow (like on the pvp realm, they are currently adding BLW, which actually came out in 1.6). See a timeline here.
  • The forums are here. This is a great resource for wowplayers.txt, true to vanilla retail.
  • How to register an account, install, configure, and play. Note that you can make more than one account, but I think there is a limit to how many accounts you can make. However, they seem to be pretty strict on dual-boxing, especially in PvP.
  • Click here for a link to 1.12.1 add-ons.
  • The server's pvp realm regularly has up to 7K people online, and it's pretty stable.

The high population (up to 7K regularly) on the PvP realm has its pros and cons. It's easy to find groups for questing and dungeons, but leveling can be tough since areas are crowded. Also, when I played on the PvP realm, goons kept going back and forth between horde and alliance. The first horde guild died out, and then alliance was popular for a while until its guild fizzled, and then horde began a new guild. It seems successful, so if you want world pvp, go there.

Nostalrius has said that the PvE server will have a queue of 2500 at start, so who knows if this is going to be a major problem or not. Other than that, we have a chance to get in at the ground floor and I think Nost is the only 1x non-pay-to-win realm that has been very stable and popular, and probably the only so far that has offered a PvE realm. That will attract a lot of players most likely, wanting to relive vanilla or just check it out if they never have, without the annoyance of bored 60s camping you while you're trying to quest. World pvp can be fun, but it's just more time-consuming than not. Anyway, the new server seems to be a good chance to play on a pretty well-known stable place and get in at the ground floor. It'd be nice if enough goons could decide early which side to play; if not, I'm cool either way.

Edit: Nobody's trying to "poach" goons from the pvp server, and any drama associated with that idea seems pretty manufactured, given that anyone's free to decide which type of server (pvp or pve) appeals to their playstyle. I've personally followed goons around from Rebirth to Emerald Dream (which are dead servers as far as population), and enjoy playing with them, many of whom are now on the pvp server, both alliance and horde. So my wanting to roll on the pve server is because I don't have as much time as I used to for gaming. If I have two hours at night to play and want to finish a few quests, I will get more done without being corpse-camped, which is pretty much my experience with Nost pvp. I leveled that way in retail back when I had way more time, but now it's not going to happen. Maybe it doesn't really matter, but this thread isn't some attempt to splinter goons apart; it's just that, like with retail wow, Nost is now a good stable server that is big enough to have more than one realm and attract people with different styles of playing.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 11, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Desmond posted:

Edit: Nobody's trying to "poach" goons from the pvp server, and any drama associated with that idea seems pretty manufactured, given that anyone's free to decide which type of server (pvp or pve) appeals to their playstyle. I've personally followed goons around from Rebirth to Emerald Dream (which are dead servers as far as population), and enjoy playing with them, many of whom are now on the pvp server, both alliance and horde. So my wanting to roll on the pve server is because I don't have as much time as I used to for gaming. If I have two hours at night to play and want to finish a few quests, I will get more done without being corpse-camped, which is pretty much my experience with Nost pvp. I leveled that way in retail back when I had way more time, but now it's not going to happen. Maybe it doesn't really matter, but this thread isn't some attempt to splinter goons apart; it's just that, like with retail wow, Nost is now a good stable server that is big enough to have more than one realm and attract people with different styles of playing.

Yeah the poaching is more of a joke really, nobody's actually trying. But still good to say "Don't do it please". As to levelling, I feel you, I've taken characters to the cap on PvP server and it's no fun with the ganks and all.

Also mind if I steal the text for the OP?

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'd be down to play on this server, especially if we roll Alliance. PvP was ok when I played during Wrath/Cata but PvP Nost just has so many gankers it's really turned me off. Not sure how much time I'll be able to commit for a while though.

We're not super serious players, and anything with a real time commitment is far into the future. Should I take your vote for Alliance then? :)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Yeah if we go Alliance I can reroll my main from my <Freelance Police> / <Cognitive Dissonance> days :)

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Serperoth posted:

Yeah the poaching is more of a joke really, nobody's actually trying. But still good to say "Don't do it please". As to levelling, I feel you, I've taken characters to the cap on PvP server and it's no fun with the ganks and all.

Also mind if I steal the text for the OP?
My sarcasm meter is broken! And no, I don't mind if you take some text from my post.

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003
I played on ED as a horde lock named Jizznap, I ran a guild called Gaybar. I wanna get back into some vanilla action. not sure if I should start up on this new PVE server or the other Nostalrius one. Im not even sure if this laptop can run WoW honestly. Im going to try it, though.

e: apparently this server isnt open yet? so im just going to download the client and roll on the pvp server

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

black1abel posted:

Im not even sure if this laptop can run WoW honestly.

It runs on my aaaaaaaaancient core 2 duo macbook, you can probably get it running on anything that still boots.

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

all of your troubles are dead and gone~
I only played pre-TBC WoW super briefly, but I've been feeling the MMO itch recently and this seems like a fun way to scratch it. I may check out the PvP server to test the waters but I'm not sure I have the patience for leveling with open world PvP. I was hoping this server was already up!

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I'm playing GW2 while waiting on the pve server. I hope it's not too long now!

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

That feel when lok'tar ogar.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I'd be down for this if you guys roll Alliance.

AeroCmdr
Aug 28, 2008

Come on you apes,
you wanna live forever?
I'm down for Alliance. I never got to really see that side much when I played back in the day so I'm kind of excited to.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've always had more fun on the Alliance side. I haven't played a private server in a couple years, but I'd sign up on a PvE server. Can I install everything now or would I need to wait for this server to release first?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Yeah you can install the client and try it on nost PvP :unsmigghh:

Just remember to clear the WDB folder or item descriptions will be all wrong.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Just clear it right after install? Okie doke.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
There's 35 pages of hyped pubbies waiting for them to announce when this server will be up. I really hope soon. I am kinda playing GW2 (waiting on the expansion for that), but otherwise am gameless at the moment and need my fix/downtime after work. :dogbutton:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

Just remember to clear the WDB folder or item descriptions will be all wrong.

Is clearing WDB something I have to do on a regular basis? Or should it be gone after the first time?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Just the first time. The WDB for a fresh install has all the data for items in 1.12, the server will be running on 1.4 to begin with.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

excited for this hugbox

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Desmond posted:

There's 35 pages of hyped pubbies waiting for them to announce when this server will be up. I really hope soon. I am kinda playing GW2 (waiting on the expansion for that), but otherwise am gameless at the moment and need my fix/downtime after work. :dogbutton:

I've been meaning to play back on the PvP server, but between IRL, this laptop not being the most comfortable for gaming, and needing to fix my UI, I've slacked on that. :v:

Then again I also installed GW2 and I'm only level 5 on that so it's not just WoW I'm slacking on.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

What are some basic (non class based) addons or must haves? I'm looking at this list and I can't tell what's going actually help me.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

What are some basic (non class based) addons or must haves? I'm looking at this list and I can't tell what's going actually help me.

Phone posting, but my core setup is as follows:
Luna frames, very pretty
MOB info or mob health
Bongos or bartender
Titan panel stuff for accessible information
Cartographer
Lazy pig and easy dismount for convenience
Auctioneer is a must have
Some kind of one bag addon
Omni cc is very handy
I also like elkanos buff bar and e casting bar.

Oh and prat plus the sa emotes add on. Definitely prat at least

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'll be on this when I return from vacation in mid-October. :)

I will play Alliance no matter what. I think I'll roll a Warlock for soloing easy, low downtime and doooom. As nostalgic as it would be playing a Paladin, I'm not sure I could stand it again. :P

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004
if anyone wants to preordain a leveling group I'd be down. I can arrange to poopsock for a week when it opens, irrespective of time zone or other considerations. If there's some other like-minded goons, lets plan out some roles and leveling strategy. I was thinking of playing either warrior or rogue.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Pilsner posted:

I'll be on this when I return from vacation in mid-October. :)

I will play Alliance no matter what. I think I'll roll a Warlock for soloing easy, low downtime and doooom. As nostalgic as it would be playing a Paladin, I'm not sure I could stand it again. :P

I remember when the game came out, I thought I was the coolest for leveling a holy paladin for holy shock. It was an interesting time.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Go ret paladin and never be bothered again by random pugs asking you to tank. :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Serperoth posted:

Phone posting, but my core setup is as follows:
Luna frames, very pretty
MOB info or mob health
Bongos or bartender
Titan panel stuff for accessible information
Cartographer
Lazy pig and easy dismount for convenience
Auctioneer is a must have
Some kind of one bag addon
Omni cc is very handy
I also like elkanos buff bar and e casting bar.

Oh and prat plus the sa emotes add on. Definitely prat at least

Checked my used addons now, I don't seem to be missing anything important. Just some general stuff (Stubby, Informant, SuperMacro) which are borderline useful or required for others.

Irrational Man posted:

if anyone wants to preordain a leveling group I'd be down. I can arrange to poopsock for a week when it opens, irrespective of time zone or other considerations. If there's some other like-minded goons, lets plan out some roles and leveling strategy. I was thinking of playing either warrior or rogue.

Can't poopsock with you, unfortunately. I've got uni and not as much free time as I'd like.
I mean I'm still going to clock in 12 hours in a day on my day off, but might as well try to keep up appearances :shepicide:

Alliance seems like a sure bet at this point... I like that.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

Serperoth posted:

Checked my used addons now, I don't seem to be missing anything important. Just some general stuff (Stubby, Informant, SuperMacro) which are borderline useful or required for others.

Can't poopsock with you, unfortunately. I've got uni and not as much free time as I'd like.
I mean I'm still going to clock in 12 hours in a day on my day off, but might as well try to keep up appearances :shepicide:

Alliance seems like a sure bet at this point... I like that.

I can afford to miss a week of school, muhaha. Unless of course it opens during finals :shepicide:

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
As far as addons, I usually install Bongoes, Grid, Omni threat meter, the dps meter, and buff meters, along with the ones that Seperoth mentioned.

Does anyone have an idea for a guild name? I always just liked Goon Squad. I always laughed too at Set Course for Pie.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
STVian Refugees

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I like Goon Squad, but it feels kinda... Low-effort.

At least it's not Oceanics (whatever numeral)

DICKLORD BONE
Aug 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

It runs on my aaaaaaaaancient core 2 duo macbook, you can probably get it running on anything that still boots.

its an old inspiron 5100, it can run D2 but WoW wont run due to some direct3d poo poo. I dont feel like loving with it to get it running, maybe next time.

Kms
Sep 2, 2014

cats, 69, 420, lgw, WoW sucks but I keep coming back, just payed five dollars for this
Eh... I guess i'll level my 5th paladin to 60 and help heal your lovely raids. :pcgaming: Guild should be called Catdrugs

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kms posted:

Eh... I guess i'll level my 5th paladin to 60 and help heal your lovely raids. :pcgaming: Guild should be called Catdrugs

Wow look at this scrub who levels the same class and plays something USEFUL. Time for the fifth Mage (Gnome this time I think) named Serperoth.

:catdrugs: isn't bad.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Maybe this time I'll actually get a gnome on a nightsaber mount.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I'm tempted to jump on this. You're going alliance? So many good gnome options, but I'd likely go human if I went rogue or warrior for +swords even though gnome looks 100x better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I'm having trouble deciding which class to roll. I guess everyone always needs tanks or maybe healers. I may roll a druid so I can do a little of both. Either that or a disc priest, which is what I started on the pvp server, but I only got to 40 something before everyone decided to go back to horde. My other thought is a mage, which seem to be in high demand and I could charge people to port them :colbert: I also kinda want to try a hunter but fear having to kite Drak. I have never done that and probably would be terrible at it!

• Locked thread