Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Kingtheninja posted:

I actually really like this.

Now we just need to herd the rest of these cats into the glorious new world of [WoW is a Video Game].

EDIT: Stormrage is probably going to announce it's release date later today.

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there a leveling guide addon or quest helper type addon for this version? I'm picking up all the suggested addons and just making sure I have a solid library of stuff.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
There's Questie and Joana's Guide Atlas Suite.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Stormrage is launching Malfurion (PvE) on Friday, October 9th 2015 18:00 CEST.

http://www.stormrage-project.eu/sendy/w/apPefShrt7PTlSF3TLHR892Q/GvOhakoKVMmCet89eSuIuQ/GvOhakoKVMmCet89eSuIuQ

Edit: I have no idea if Stormrage will be any good.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a leveling guide addon or quest helper type addon for this version? I'm picking up all the suggested addons and just making sure I have a solid library of stuff.

Get ShaguQuest. It's pretty good.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

vanillaguide is also pretty good.
https://code.google.com/p/vanillaguide/

It's basically just joana (horde) and brian kopp's (alliance) levelling guides in addon form.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Tanreall posted:

Edit: I have no idea if Stormrage will be any good.

If we're judging by the ratio of private servers that are fairly faithful recreations of game mechanics (Nos) to those that aren't (everything else), the odds aren't good.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I feel like so long as the PVP server for nos exists the PVE server will have a steady stream of people, and benefit from already fixed bugs. Starting a week earlier is tempting but above all i want to avoid rolling into a ghost town.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
So does this server start at 1.12 and release content progressively or are they actually releasing the game at various patches as well? So everybody starts out pre class revamps?

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Talent tree is 1.12 and the content releases progressively. It also includes old stats on certain items (such as most pieces of the scholo sets being absolute trash and green) and gives you the chance to purchase the older epic mounts without armor.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
IIRC the PvE server will start the same as the PvP server at patch 1.4, the PvP server is now at patch 1.6.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

tower time posted:

I feel like so long as the PVP server for nos exists the PVE server will have a steady stream of people, and benefit from already fixed bugs. Starting a week earlier is tempting but above all i want to avoid rolling into a ghost town.

I honestly think the "ghost town" will be pretty crowded, but I don't know if that server is going to be stable, and who knows how many will come to Nost a week later.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I am sure it will be quite busy in the opening months. After that its really hard to say. A lot of different factors go into server population and life, but nost seems like the safer bet.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
As a Hunter, is it really worth while picking up leatherworking? Or would it be better to just do skinning/mining for more money?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I made my first character last week and while I don't mind PvP servers my concern is that the pve server will split the player base into griefers and people who don't want to deal with griefers. Broadly speaking I like being in a PvP server but more as a complication to my pve. If the split leaves me with just hardcore gankers I'll switch to the pve server.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
I don't think there are any bind on pick up items in leather working that you need as a hunter.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

Jack B Nimble posted:

I made my first character last week and while I don't mind PvP servers my concern is that the pve server will split the player base into griefers and people who don't want to deal with griefers. Broadly speaking I like being in a PvP server but more as a complication to my pve. If the split leaves me with just hardcore gankers I'll switch to the pve server.

In a way, I wish they would do a PvE server but make 55+ zones PvP flagged? So you'd have, Western/Eastern Plaguelands, Burning Steppes, Blackrock Mountain, Winterspring, Silithus. So it's mainly 60 on 60 ganking or there are other high levels to play body guard if people are having trouble.

But doing a PvP and PvE split reminds me of UO Renaissance patch making a PvP and PvE half. The main reason PvP players existed were to pray on newbies and they all left for the PvE half.

I really want to roll a rogue, but the lack of solo world PvP ganking in BRM makes me sad.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

I know I'm not the only one going to the PvE server for that reason. Hell, look at the thread title. Now imagine that, out of the people who just chill and do quests and tolerate gankers, a number of them will migrate to the PvE server.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Serperoth posted:

I know I'm not the only one going to the PvE server for that reason. Hell, look at the thread title. Now imagine that, out of the people who just chill and do quests and tolerate gankers, a number of them will migrate to the PvE server.

Yes exactly. And I'm an incurable alt maker so I'll make a day 1 pve paladin, who am I kidding.

A pve server feels more sterile or theme park ish but the shine of PvP wears off fast when your a low level getting repeat ganked. It's best when you have to worry about PvP but can put up a fight. As someone who only ever dabbled in mmos I've wondered at the legacy/factors that lead to tierless, more or less unlimited PvP.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yes exactly. And I'm an incurable alt maker so I'll make a day 1 pve paladin, who am I kidding.

A pve server feels more sterile or theme park ish but the shine of PvP wears off fast when your a low level getting repeat ganked. It's best when you have to worry about PvP but can put up a fight. As someone who only ever dabbled in mmos I've wondered at the legacy/factors that lead to tierless, more or less unlimited PvP.

Personally I dislike PvP without my approval. And hey, you can turn your PvP flag on on the PvE server if you feel like it. Or join battlegrounds. It's basically just choosing about PvP rather than just having it forced on you.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I think enough will be fulfilled in BGs and you'll be doing those anyway if you care about honor points.

Do all BGs come at the start or are they weeding those in over time?

Fake edit: to summarize, what will be available at launch :
Dungeons : Ragefire Chasm, Deadmines, Wailing Caverns, Shadowfang Keep, Blackfathom Deeps, The Stockade, Gnomeregan, Scarlet Monastery, Razorfen Kraul, Uldaman, Scholomance, Razorfen Downs, Stratholme, Zul'Farrak, Temple of Atal'Hakkar, Blackrock Depths, Maraudon, Lower Black Rock Spire.
PVP : Warsong, Arathi Basin, PvP honor system
Raids : UBRS, Onyxia, Molten Core (including possible drop of [Talisman of Binding Shard]*)
* Until a player get the [Talisman of Binding Shard],

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
I never understood why they included maraudon when it wasnt around until like 1.8 or something when Thrash blade and Blackstone are a pretty big deal.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey I have a question since this is a server made to replicate a by now historical version of wow: my friend played wow at launch and he's mentioned how incomplete some things were then. He played a troll Hunter and said "I played the incomplete race as the incomplete class on the incomplete side". I think he pointed out that his village sucked and that his quests died off around 40?

Can anyone comment on wow at/near launch and if it was incomplete like that how does this 1.2 or so version compare?

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
From what I remember leveling up. A lot of times you would hit quest hubs and they would just end or you needed to be 1-2 levels higher to get the next in the chain or move on to the next area. So a lot of times you just stuck it out and ground mobs for a level or two. Either that or there were no leveling guides that were well known. Most people just played by the seat of their pants while alt-tabbing to http://www.thottbot.com/ to look up where you needed to kill poo poo for quests.

Later on they ended up adding in class specific quests, or at least finishing up the series to give you some novelty rare items. For the rogue it was a pair of boots that gave +1 to stealth level, reduced fall damage cloak and some stat helm if I remember. This was the rogue quest: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?quest=8236

Every class got a talent tree and skill workover as well to rebalance the classes. Some had minor changes (rogues from what I recall shifted a few talents around and buff some here and there) but some others got pratically a total rework on their talents. So that's probably where he said he played the "incomplete class".

As far as the "incomplete race" classes kept getting racials tweaked as well through the development. Escape artist for gnomes got changed several times. First it was instant with a very short cooldown, then it had a cast time, then they decreased the cast time and lowered the cooldown or something like that.

It seems the vanilla servers have a base 1.12 patch which already puts in the new quests, most have updated dungeon items (I guess nost doesn't until later?), updated quest rewards, gold for completing quests instead of XP when you're 60, etc.

Billy Elliot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 7, 2015

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Are there any old talent guides and calculators? I still haven't decided on class or race, but I never fully played some classes like mage, which I might be interested in doing for a change. Or I'll just roll a druid like always!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey I have a question since this is a server made to replicate a by now historical version of wow: my friend played wow at launch and he's mentioned how incomplete some things were then. He played a troll Hunter and said "I played the incomplete race as the incomplete class on the incomplete side". I think he pointed out that his village sucked and that his quests died off around 40?

Can anyone comment on wow at/near launch and if it was incomplete like that how does this 1.2 or so version compare?

Not sure what he means by "incomplete race", every race is pretty balanced in PvE. Trolls actually are the best hordeside race for hunters, thanks to the bonus weapon skill on bows.
Hunters are fine in vanilla, if anything is incomplete its the hybrids, who underperform the 'pure' classes in their tank or healer roles.
Races only have separate quests until about level 10, and even then you can walk to another races starting zone if you really want to quest there.
Quests do die off if you decide to not do dungeons, but as a hunter, grinding should have been trivial for him.
If you do most dungeons at least once, with the appropriate quests, I find you never run out of quests and actually have to start dropping them as they go green.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

He's probably referring to the troll models, which were pretty much the female worgens of vanilla.

Hunter was also the last class developed i think, and it showed with things like lacerate.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Manslaughter posted:

thanks to the bonus weapon skill on bows.

This equates to something like .2% crit. Ranged weapons cannot glance, therefore ranged weapon skill is pretty worthless.

The 5% pet damage on orc will help your leveling a lot more. I dont play orcs so i have no idea if Blood Fury is any good for hunters or how it stacks up vs Berserking, but weapon skill is just terrible for Hunter.

What he was probably trying to say is that trolls have the weakest racials horde side.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I thought berserking for the IAS was best because it scaled with the better gear you got? The attack power bonus for orcs was stronger at first but was a simple addition to your damage. We're pets a big damage? I remember they'd just get slaughtered on AoE fights too.

Was a lot of hunter damage auto attacks? I know rogues were 50/50 special/melee or something around that from my 10 year ago memory.

I hated fighting hunters as a rogue though. My worst class to go against if they knew you were coming. And a good one woukd scatter you, freeze trap, then get the distance on you then by the time you got to them it was a rinse/repeat.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Billy Elliot posted:

I thought berserking for the IAS was best because it scaled with the better gear you got? The attack power bonus for orcs was stronger at first but was a simple addition to your damage. We're pets a big damage? I remember they'd just get slaughtered on AoE fights too.

Was a lot of hunter damage auto attacks? I know rogues were 50/50 special/melee or something around that from my 10 year ago memory.

I hated fighting hunters as a rogue though. My worst class to go against if they knew you were coming. And a good one woukd scatter you, freeze trap, then get the distance on you then by the time you got to them it was a rinse/repeat.

Yeah no the pet damage is worthless in raiding i didnt mean to imply that. But its really nice for the 59 levels before raiding.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think his complaints weren't so much about mechanics as essentially about the western continent not being "done"/not seeming to have had as much time put into as the eastern continent. He's played all the MMOs so I don't want to put words in his mouth and misrepresent his arguments; he's like a good professor in that he can talk about something I don't personally have a lot of investment or knowledge in (MMOs) and keep me interested in the story he's telling.

I'll see if he can say anything in google hangouts rather than you guys having to hear everything second hand from me; though I think his troll complaint wasn't about their mechanics it's that they don't have a real the way everyone except the gnomes do. I have to draw on my own super limited wow knowledge here but everyone gets a town except the trolls and gnomes and even gnomes have this cool backstory about the fall of their town and being refugees and then they get to go on a dungeon about it or something.

Anyway, I'll try to get some actual words from him on the subject because I can't really respond to anything said about it but I'm fascinated by development/lifespan of MMOs so I like to hear him/others talk about it.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think his complaints weren't so much about mechanics as essentially about the western continent not being "done"/not seeming to have had as much time put into as the eastern continent. He's played all the MMOs so I don't want to put words in his mouth and misrepresent his arguments; he's like a good professor in that he can talk about something I don't personally have a lot of investment or knowledge in (MMOs) and keep me interested in the story he's telling.

I'll see if he can say anything in google hangouts rather than you guys having to hear everything second hand from me; though I think his troll complaint wasn't about their mechanics it's that they don't have a real the way everyone except the gnomes do. I have to draw on my own super limited wow knowledge here but everyone gets a town except the trolls and gnomes and even gnomes have this cool backstory about the fall of their town and being refugees and then they get to go on a dungeon about it or something.

Anyway, I'll try to get some actual words from him on the subject because I can't really respond to anything said about it but I'm fascinated by development/lifespan of MMOs so I like to hear him/others talk about it.

Hes right you know. One of the funniest things about WoW i ever found was that in the original user manual theres info on each of the races with prominent individuals from each. Troll has Vol'Jin obviously but after that the only other troll they could name was a guy who dies in a level 7 quest.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Your race has troubles if they are thrown from their homeland by a level 11 nonelite.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My friend hammered out a response on hangouts; It was just an IM dump so I cleaned it up a little. Spoilers for old rear end wow quests I guess.

... posted:

Lets see. okay troll racial, berserk. was terrible. it was changed like 6 months to be less terrible (but still bad). the troll village was the newbie starting area for orcs and trolls. after that, very little troll.

When the game launched there were about 5 "epic story lines" that was something like... blackrock spire (aliance continent) onyxia (aliance), the undead/crimson crusader/burning legion thing (horde. but undead. alliance continent). Those I listed were mostly complete (though the undead one was really completed with naxraamas, like 2 years later). On the horde continent (kalimdor) there was the emerald dream (not complete at launch) and the zerg/bug/anquoraj thing, neither were done at launch.

The tauren-ish story line was the emerald dream stuff (oh no, druid worry! corrupt nature!) The orc one was the 'corrupt orcs' leading to burning legion poo poo and the troll one was "uh oh, there's these weird insects infesting our areas!". So as a troll you had a slowly evolving story where you saw more and more 'zerged out' areas. those were the bugs from anquoraj. if you follow those story lines to the very southern zones, in the 40's there were whole areas of creep, with big tall spine things and tons of bugs. but no quests! So at launch the story arcs for kalimdor (and the horde) were not in the game, the troll arc (bugs) was not in.

The hunter class was the most boringest class. And the pets were 'incomplete': they had 'training points' that served no purpose and powers that were basically nothing. And each time they added gear for hunter they tried to make them more and more "just archers" and not pet based. so i picked the ultimate incomplete set.

Finally, the gnomes were half assed too, but gently caress gnomes, they were ret-conned in again after they were cut out of WC3 on purpose. the gnomes also had a story line with gnomeregon (though that didn't really matter for the big story arcs). The night elf (kalimdor) story lines were also unfinished i think, but they were all in stormwind/ironforge anyway doing the 2 (of 5) complete epic story lines

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 8, 2015

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I'm glad they ret conned gnomes. I loved playing my ankle biter.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

There are like 4 quest hubs disabled in 1.4, to the point that they barely have any quests at all. Those are Revantusk Village (H) in the Hinterlands, Thorium Point (B) in the Searing Gorge, Cenarion Hold (B) in Silithus and Light's Hope Chapel (B) in EPL.

Then again, to compensate for this, you have some very crazy poo poo in pre 1.4 days, one of which they purposefully enabled on the pvp server at the start (which was stacking the -25 cost to spells from Spirit of Aquementas and Choker of Enlightenment in order to get -50 cost off from all spells, this equated to so so SO much mp5 it was crazy).

They didn't have pre-1.4 stats for Green Whelp Armour though, even that was just way too OP for them. :smith:

Green Whelp Armour
Choker of Enlightenment
Spirit of Aquementas

Edit: Yes this does make the most spammed paladin heal absolutely and completely *free*.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 8, 2015

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Berserking is a free 10%+ haste on a 3 min cooldown. With Demonic Runes you can make that number higher more reliably. It's not exactly Mind Quickening Gem but it's free. Trolls are objectively the best PvE hunters and casters.

Bow skill doesn't matter after T1 because the best ranged weapons are crossbows, but a free +3% hit on bows isn't terrible and means you can use +7 dmg scope on Rhok'delar instead of an Accurascope.

Tanners posted:

I never understood why they included maraudon when it wasnt around until like 1.8 or something when Thrash blade and Blackstone are a pretty big deal.

Maraudon was added in 1.2.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_1.2.0

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Thank gently caress Maraudon is in, where else would I farm bosses for gold till Dire Maul?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Equilibrium posted:

Berserking is a free 10%+ haste on a 3 min cooldown. With Demonic Runes you can make that number higher more reliably. It's not exactly Mind Quickening Gem but it's free. Trolls are objectively the best PvE hunters and casters.

Bow skill doesn't matter after T1 because the best ranged weapons are crossbows, but a free +3% hit on bows isn't terrible and means you can use +7 dmg scope on Rhok'delar instead of an Accurascope.

Maraudon was added in 1.2.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_1.2.0

Wow, thats way earlier than I thought. I guess that works then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23695

Official launch time is 19:00 server time which I believe is 15:00 EST.

• Locked thread