Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I wish slashtrain.com was still around.

Kingtheninja posted:

Would it be better to hold on to stacks of materials until you near 40, then flood the AH? Or is that not a good way to "play" the AH? I was never very good at it.

Would make more sense, as higher level players have more gold when they realize they want to level up leatherworking at 40 and missed skinning up to that point.

It's not like a low big with 10s to their name is going to buy materials. Although I can see bag making being profitable early on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If anything waiting till 40 to sell banked herbs will mean not having gold on hand you shouldn't spend.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DrSeRRoD posted:

How is this even a question? Gnome all the way! /train

I feel you may be a bit biased about the question.

But so am I, I like the +10% rep, whereas I feel that +10% Int is less impressive than it sounds.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Serperoth posted:

I feel you may be a bit biased about the question.

But so am I, I like the +10% rep, whereas I feel that +10% Int is less impressive than it sounds.

Eh, I feel like an extra day of grinding a rep out of hundreds of days you might play is worth having the sweet gnome look. IMO Looks > Racials unless you are going to try and get into a mega-hardcore-#1 guild, which will require all priests to be dwarf, all tanks to be elves, all melee dps to be warrior, etc. You stare at your character for hours and hours, not at the racial. That's just me being a filthy casual though. :)

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

DrSeRRoD posted:

Eh, I feel like an extra day of grinding a rep out of hundreds of days you might play is worth having the sweet gnome look. IMO Looks > Racials unless you are going to try and get into a mega-hardcore-#1 guild, which will require all priests to be dwarf, all tanks to be elves, all melee dps to be warrior, etc. You stare at your character for hours and hours, not at the racial. That's just me being a filthy casual though. :)

The only two super relevant pve raid racials for alliance are dwarf priest fear ward and human fury war/combat rogue sword spec. If you aren't one of those, the difference is so negligible it might as well be cosmetic.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DrSeRRoD posted:

Hm, that does ring true. Gnome it is then!

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Mystery Prize posted:

The only two super relevant pve raid racials for alliance are dwarf priest fear ward and human fury war/combat rogue sword spec. If you aren't one of those, the difference is so negligible it might as well be cosmetic.

I remember back in the day doing Onyxia on horde side with no fear ward, and it's just as doable. So if I roll a night elf priest, don't kill me. I like elves :unsmith:

Speaking of raids, I have never been past MC except for a brief time maybe at the first boss in BWL and when I was over-leveled and didn't need strategy. I also did ZG, but forgot a lot of the boss dynamics. If we raid, I hope people 'splain stuff!

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
Well, overwatch beta is the 27th, so looks like I'll have time to grind out for a couple weekends. I was worried it was going to be this weekend and I'd miss the cluster gently caress of day 1.

I might just say gently caress it and roll human rogue as I know the class and there's no learning experience. But god drat it I love gnomes so much.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Desmond posted:

I remember back in the day doing Onyxia on horde side with no fear ward, and it's just as doable. So if I roll a night elf priest, don't kill me. I like elves :unsmith:

Speaking of raids, I have never been past MC except for a brief time maybe at the first boss in BWL and when I was over-leveled and didn't need strategy. I also did ZG, but forgot a lot of the boss dynamics. If we raid, I hope people 'splain stuff!

People are huge babies about fear ward and your nelfpriest will attract a huge amount of nerdrage bitching.

Its worth it though, because somersaulting renew is the best priest racial by a country miile.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Desmond posted:

The difference there is horde has tremor totem; it's obviously nowhere near as good as fear ward, but it beats nothing.

Intentionally not using fear ward or tremor totem on a fight like Nef can and will wipe your raid.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
Also UD tanks if you had them.

But you should go dwarf anyway because the smaller the race, the better.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

hit button posted:

People are huge babies about fear ward and your nelfpriest will attract a huge amount of nerdrage bitching.

Its worth it though, because somersaulting renew is the best priest racial by a country miile.

You mean wisp spirit on death! E: nerdrage bitching is amusing.

^Good point about Nef, but I never got that far in raiding so didn't know. I most likely will roll a druid anyway, since Nost will eventually upgrade to TBC.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 14, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Desmond posted:

You mean wisp spirit on death! E: nerdrage bitching is amusing.

^Good point about Nef, but I never got that far in raiding so didn't know. I most likely will roll a druid anyway, since Nost will eventually upgrade to TBC.

TBC is so far into the future it's ridiculous. If you still are playing on Nost by the time it gets to TBC, you'll probably have an alt of each race/class combo anyway. :v:

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
At least TBC leveling was quick 1-60. Even 60-70 was quick. I remember the game came out on a Tuesday and I was 70 by Sunday.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Billy Elliot posted:

At least TBC leveling was quick 1-60. Even 60-70 was quick. I remember the game came out on a Tuesday and I was 70 by Sunday.

True if you got in late. If you got in before the pre-60 change (same one that made mounts cost much much less, and dropped their level requirement), it took you a while to get to 58.

I may be slightly salty cause the pre-60 change happened AFTER I was in the 60s.

VV: It was 40/60 until the change, changed to 20/40 I think. No idea about flying at 60. I do remember druids getting Flight Form at 68? I think.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 14, 2015

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
Yeah it was 30/60 for standard and epic? Got crazier in WotLK making it 20/40 and then allowing poverty flying mounts at 60 with 150% movement. But it had always been a bummer to people above the curve when Blizzard would nerf older content.

It would seem like we killed C'Thun and a few weeks later they nerfed him after we had been beating our heads against a wall for what seemed forever.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Serperoth posted:

TBC is so far into the future it's ridiculous. If you still are playing on Nost by the time it gets to TBC, you'll probably have an alt of each race/class combo anyway. :v:

True! And I leveled a druid on ED, so I don't know. Are hunters are okay in vanilla? I remember pet pathing in instances was pretty bad.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Hunters are the easiest class to level and you have to have a few in raids for tranq shot.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Tanreall posted:

Hunters are the easiest class to level and you have to have a few in raids for tranq shot.

I dunno about easiest, but they are certainly easy. Warlock is up there too, as is Priest.

Priest is slow as hell but you're constantly 100% mana so there's no real downtime

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So I just tried out the dwarf girl and holy poo poo that voice. I want to play a dwarf hunter now; but I want to know what happens to the storm wind quests; is there any good way to move a hunter over to storm wind or is there always going to be a whole lot of walking back to iron forge for my training?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

So I just tried out the dwarf girl and holy poo poo that voice. I want to play a dwarf hunter now; but I want to know what happens to the storm wind quests; is there any good way to move a hunter over to storm wind or is there always going to be a whole lot of walking back to iron forge for my training?

The dwarven district in stormwind actually has hunter trainers, I believe

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

Mystery Prize posted:

I dunno about easiest, but they are certainly easy. Warlock is up there too, as is Priest.

Priest is slow as hell but you're constantly 100% mana so there's no real downtime

I guess easiest is a bit of a grey area. What I meant was that they're the fastest levelers as shown by it being the class of choice by speed levelers.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
It's mainly because you get a speed boost at 20 to help for the 20-39 grind without a mount I woukd guess. You also have a pet to tank mobs so you don't take a lot of damage, feign death for when you pull too much poo poo, ranged damage, traps, etc.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Tanreall posted:

I guess easiest is a bit of a grey area. What I meant was that they're the fastest levelers as shown by it being the class of choice by speed levelers.

This is probably true, especially at the beginning of the server, because hunters need fuckall gear to be relevant while leveling. BM spec makes this even easier.

The only class that might be able to compete in speed is Mage, once you can AoE grind. If you know what you're doing and can somehow avoid boring yourself to death grinding forever it's probably the fastest 1-60.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Mystery Prize posted:

The dwarven district in stormwind actually has hunter trainers, I believe

I think the Hunter trainers are in the Park.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Clitch posted:

I think the Hunter trainers are in the Park.

Theyre in the Dwarven District. Park is just druid trainers.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mystery Prize posted:

The only class that might be able to compete in speed is Mage, once you can AoE grind. If you know what you're doing and can somehow avoid boring yourself to death grinding forever it's probably the fastest 1-60.

AoE grinding is a gamble as a Mage, since it depends heavily on a lot of factors (population, gear, etc). You can most likely do great later on though, and it's definitely a great way to make money at 60, but it's much harder without Ice Barrier.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
So to set up, do I just set realm list to nost and the PvP and PvE servers will be on the server list?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Billy Elliot posted:

So to set up, do I just set realm list to nost and the PvP and PvE servers will be on the server list?

It should be the same process as with the PvP one, I think that thread has a guide in the OP.

A guide that I could copy, since there's interest...

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

You say Hunters are fast, do they have very little downtime? Or how about mana regeneration?

I have fond memories of Warlock levelling. I played my Paladin during late TBC, and rolled a Warlock alt. I was baffled: Holy moses, you can actually kill more than 3 mobs without having to sit and drink! They could just go on forever, with Dark Pact and that stuff providing mana. Just dot 4-5 mobs and continue pacting and dotting for as long as you bother. Great stuff.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Pilsner posted:

You say Hunters are fast, do they have very little downtime? Or how about mana regeneration?

I have fond memories of Warlock levelling. I played my Paladin during late TBC, and rolled a Warlock alt. I was baffled: Holy moses, you can actually kill more than 3 mobs without having to sit and drink! They could just go on forever, with Dark Pact and that stuff providing mana. Just dot 4-5 mobs and continue pacting and dotting for as long as you bother. Great stuff.

Hunters are in my opinion the easiest class to level by far. You can get away with having utterly poo poo gear from not running instances, only using quest gear and random finds (which is why Joana used hunter for her speed leveling records) because your pet is your primary damage source, and tanks for you. Your typical rotation unless you're trying to kill something quickly or have multiple mobs on you/your pet would be something like a hunter's mark, a serpent sting if you feel like it, and then autoshot and your pet hitting it until it dies. Mix in multi-shot as you want, and you'll pretty much never have to stop. They're also fun because you can solo most elite quests with clever use of your traps and your pet. You also get to do fun stuff like solo princess in Mara for the +hit ring by dismissing your pet and just kiting her in circles in her area with serpent sting on her constantly until she falls over. They also get their movement boost at level 20 which makes questing much less painful until 40, which just adds to their speed.

I mained Warlock in TBC, I can't speak for it much in vanilla but I know that the debuff limit is in full force so raiding will be mashing shadowbolt and nothing else. I played affliction in TBC so I didn't want to fall back to that, having a bunch of buttons for every mob was fun.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Warlock is a really effective leveler. Probably second or third best, but not really on the same tier as Hunter.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

imo the most important thing that makes hunters the fastest/easiest to level is that ranged physical isn't affected by mob level as much as melee or spell damage. No resists, no glancing blows, no parries. This means you can storm through an area of mobs that are a few levels higher than you, where other classes would at best be able to struggle through, or just have to travel somewhere easier. That reduces backtracking and makes it a lot easier to complete quests in an efficient way.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

rifles posted:

You also get to do fun stuff like solo princess in Mara for the +hit ring by dismissing your pet and just kiting her in circles in her area with serpent sting on her constantly until she falls over.

Sorry for sounding like an idiot but can you explain the kiting process in wow? I've never had to do it and never fully understood how it's accomplished. I just always figured the mob would eventually catch up to the person kiting.

Also what are the best pets for leveling? Just go with cats across the board or is it worth hunting down the exotic rare spawns?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Sorry for sounding like an idiot but can you explain the kiting process in wow? I've never had to do it and never fully understood how it's accomplished. I just always figured the mob would eventually catch up to the person kiting.

Also what are the best pets for leveling? Just go with cats across the board or is it worth hunting down the exotic rare spawns?

Don't know about pets (turtles I hear are good?), but kiting in general involves you running in circles while slowing the mob down a bit, and doing damage to it over time. Or, alternatively, you go faster than it, while doing damage. For Hunters, I think that's Aspect of the Cheetah for speed, plus Serpent Sting for damage. It's not exactly fast, but it should be safe.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Don't know about pets (turtles I hear are good?), but kiting in general involves you running in circles while slowing the mob down a bit, and doing damage to it over time. Or, alternatively, you go faster than it, while doing damage. For Hunters, I think that's Aspect of the Cheetah for speed, plus Serpent Sting for damage. It's not exactly fast, but it should be safe.

There's also a spinshot thing you can try to pull off to keep distance easier, I think its recommended for the class epic quest. You turn the camera real quick so it changes which way you're facing just long enough that you're able to shoot your target without losing any ground. I could never manage to pull it off but I also didn't practice much.

You can see what I'm talking about here (also just do yourself a favor and mute the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N3BlF-x-to

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
Yeah kiting is mainly done applying a slow/daze/stun while attacking at range.

If you are 10 units from a mob. You move 1 unit per second and the mob moves 2 units per second. If you're moving, the mob the has a 1 unit/s closing speed and will catch you in 10 seconds.

Hunters have a lot of instant attacks they kite with, so you can jump 180 no scope hit and turn back when you hit the ground.

Add in a daze to reduce their movement by 50% and they're not able to close the gap on you now because the delta is zero units/s.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Hunters can kite princess effecitvely since they can stay in aspect of the cheetah to move faster than her without losing much damage output.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

rifles posted:

(which is why Joana used hunter for her speed leveling records)

Going to blow your mind here but Joana is a dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Tanreall posted:

Going to blow your mind here but Joana is a dude.

I always think of Joana as the female troll, lol. Doesn't surprise me a bit it's a dude.

• Locked thread