Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

AllisonByProxy posted:

Can you recommend a hack that doesn't overly rely on shine-sparking? I always hated that mechanic.

Hyper Metroid is another good one, and it's pretty well balanced. The site for it actually lets you configure the IPS patch (or has multiple versions, I forget) depending on how different from Super Metroid you actually want it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I always preferred the Varia Suit model from Prime 2 to the Prime 1 version, personally. There are actually mods for Prime 1 to use the Prime 2 suits, but while they work for the most part, the animation rigs are different between the two games and the result is a little bit odd at times.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Did you up the video quality or something? I can't put my finger on it, but the game looks different somehow from the previous videos. Maybe it's just my imagination.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

So why didn't the Chozo... leave? The planet is beyond hosed post-meteor and they had space travel, time to bug out.

The Chozo logs (both versions of them) pretty clearly spell out that the Chozo were trying to save the planet because it was their home, and they feared what would happen if the corruption from the impact crater were to somehow spread beyond Tallon IV.

Edit: The ice shriekbats are kind of strange in that they actually don't disappear in the JP and EU Gamecube versions of the game, but they do vanish from all Wii versions of the game (which means the Wii versions are a heavy modification of the original NTSC version). The only up side is that in the Wii version, there's sort of a NG+ mode if you start a new game with a completed save file, which carries over all the scans, so you aren't totally screwed if you miss one.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 20, 2015

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sunning posted:

In the Chozo data entries, it is revealed that they ascended a higher plan of existence and became spirituality tied to the planet. The meteor impact spooked them out this state and they tried to quarantine it in fear that it would spread to other planets.

The Chozo logs are different in the US Player's Choice, EU, JP, and all Wii versions of the game. The Chozo don't actually ascend to a higher plane of existence, but the rest of that remains true.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Wait, so which version of the game has the logs I played? I liked the ones where they said their consciousness was stretching beyond time and space and even in their death they could see Samus fighting on their planet. That was weirdly cool.

Let's put it this way. This LP has the second version of the Chozo logs, wherein the Chozo do not evolve into energy beings and vanish from the planet until the meteor hits. They still talk about their expanding consciousness and having visions of the future, but it's toned down and makes a lot more sense. These are the log files present in every version of the game except for the original day one, v1.0 North American Gamecube release.

The other LP going on right now by FPzero is using the original v1.0 NTSC Gamecube release, which has the first-version log files featuring the Chozo getting all metaphysical and evolving into energy beings or something a fair amount of time before the meteor impact, which drags their spirits back to the planet. They're worded vaguely and with metaphor spread thick, such that you could carve into it with a chainsaw. No other version of the game has these log files in it; if you didn't get the game in North America at or near launch, these probably aren't the log files you're familiar with (unless by chance you happened to pick up a used v1 copy or something).

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yeah George, but I'm not sure that's possible in the Wii version though.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

George posted:

Can you still do the PAL trick in Trilogy?

In short, no.

At length, they made it so the lock-on breaks before you can get remotely close enough to the ship to jump on it, from what I recall. There's still a lot of stuff what DOES work in the Trilogy version; for instance, it's still possible (if slightly more difficult) to get around Phendrana's Edge without the grapple beam, and snag a few early items in that general area.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I just use the thing like a super missile. It costs twice as much, but it's functionally the same with a direct hit if I'm not mistaken.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Side effects include uncontrolled growth, psychosis, and radioactivity. If you begin vomiting pure phazon, discontinue use and see your doctor immediately.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

George posted:

I'm not sure whether they changed it for the Wii version, but on Gamecube Ridley's final form was piss easy with the wavebuster. It would just stunlock him until you ran out of missiles or he ran out of health. The only hard part was if you had to switch weapons while he's exposed, since he doesn't give you that much time.

I forget exactly how they changed it--I think Ridley just takes reduced damage from the Wavebuster in the Wii version--but you can't cheese him like that any more. You'll run out of missiles long before Ridley's health is depleted.

This video was masterfully done, frozentreasure. Excellent work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, FT, it was a fun ride. Narrating the final two scans yourself was a nice touch.

I agree the final boss was cool thematically, but kind of a boring fight. The Phazon Beam would've been cool to use outside the final boss room--in fact there are Action Replay codes to enable it (you switch to it by switching to Power Beam when you're already using the Power Beam), and it utterly destroys everything in the game--except for metroids outside of the final boss chamber, for whatever strange reason. Any metroids which aren't spawned by Prime during the final fight are completely immune to it, which is bizarre and makes no sense whatsoever to me. Makes me wonder if the little bastards in the core are a different enemy than those found elsewhere, in terms of game programming.

My hypothesis on Prime itself was always that the Chozo had a few metroids on Tallon IV for whatever reason--they did create the things, after all--and one of them got caught up in the impact crater when the Chozo sealed it off, and mutated over time. The instruction manual for the Trilogy version all but confirms this, but it's difficult to say if that's what Retro had in mind from the very start or if they were just making it up as they went along (as storytellers so often do).

• Locked thread