Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

General Ironicus posted:

Please do not be rude to Stone Toads.

Yo, what?

Metroid Prime was released in 2002. The first 3D adventure for genocidal giantess Samus Aran took awhile, after the creator of all games in the series prior came down with an unfortunate case of death, but was well worth the wait, as western developer Retro Studios basically made Super Metroid, complete with the awe-inspiring, atmospheric feel of exploring a new world in complete isolation, but in 3D.

On top of that, however, they included a staggering amount of flavour text! The scan visor that basically nobody used in Super Metroid is the star of Metroid Prime, with just about every single thing in the world containing some information that can be scanned. Most things are just tidbits of information, but there are a few dozen things that, when scanned, will be added to Samus' travel journal. And that's where you come in!

Huh?

When I scan something that will be added to Samus' logbook, you will get to read the entry while I keep playing, as if her suit has onboard AI that she never figured out how to disable. There are three types of scan data:

CREATURES

Everything that Samus can (and is going to) murder in cold blood self-defence. These are like encyclopaedia entries, detailing facts about the creature's biology and, usually, weaknesses.

PIRATE DATA

Space Pirates are aggressive, tenacious, and vapid bloggers. Seriously, they just don't shut up; pirate data entries are long and usually found in groups of two or three (or eight). Most of the time they're grumbling about how things suck for them because their general approach to all situations isn't really conducive to the scientific process.

CHOZO LORE

The Chozo aren't much better than the Space Pirates: the Chozo on Tallon IV were basically at the point of transcending the physical plane, and they talk exactly the way you think…while also grumbling about how the entire planet is dying. Total downer, guys.

I want to read!

Well then sign up here and I'll let you know when you've got something! All scan data has been assigned, but thanks for the support!

Sweet, let's do it!

Part 01: Forgive and Frigate
Part 02: I'm Tallon You We're Lost
Part 03: You Chozo To Ruins This Rave
Part 04: A Flaahgra-nt Misuse Of Power
Part 05: A Song Of Phendrana And Magmoor
Part 06: You Can Always Find Me In The Drifts
Part 07: Like Looking Into A Mira
Part 07: The Rave Beam
Part 08: I Don't Like You, Aether
Part 09: The Thardus-t Thing I've Had To Do
Part 10: Wavebustin' Makes Me Feel Good
Part 11: One Step Closer To Phendrana's Edge
Part 12: The Mines Reaper
Part 13: Let's Playsma
Part 14: Jerry Theatrics
Part 15: He's Called Glowing Blue Rockman In Japan
Part 16: Ridley's Believe It Or Not
Part 17: Prime Time

Bonus: The Samus Sing-a-long
Another Bonus: Kraig, the Unmotivated Space Pirate

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

JossiRossi posted:

If I get picked to do some entries :ohdear:

Currently you're a shoe-in, and pretty much everyone has had usable, if not good, submissions so far. I have 60 people signed up to read, however some have been unresponsive since they signed up a couple of months ago, and there are 115 unique logbook entries. So currently almost everyone can get two entries. You'll only be in danger if another 60 people sign up in the next couple of weeks; I'll figure something out if that happens.

This might also be a good time to mention that there's a good chance that updates on this will take awhile.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
This episode is fairly scan-heavy; this will probably be the case with the first video in each new area (doubly so since we go to two areas in this video). Things should calm down in the next couple of videos.

Part 02: I'm Tallon You We're Lost

I'll be out of town this weekend, but after I get back I'll be doing my best to get the next few videos worth of entries sorted and assigned. Thanks again to everyone who's signed up; if I survive this and do Echoes, this will be a great learning experience for how to handle everything.

Geemer posted:

Good to see you're using the (for general gameplay) superior PAL version.

Well, yes and no. Unfortunately we won't be hearing the narrator when we go to the impact crater, unless I power through the game on GC and snag the audio. I might do that, actually. The narrator is why I did the GC version to start with, in fact; I had forgotten that Trilogy included the narrator.

Aces High posted:

speaking of which, will you be contacting us as our logs come up in the recording schedule or earlier?

I'll be assigning lines as soon as I can; I could take each reader and put them on an entry, but I'd rather know which entries are upcoming and assign readers as we go along, since more people will be signing up over time.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 27, 2015

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Aumanor posted:

Oh hey, we can do this in languages other than English? I'm suddenly quite tempted.

Loco sent me that more as a joke than anything, but I ended up using it because it was better than the ones he sent me in English and I thought it would be a funny fakeout. I'm not sure how well an abundance of entries that people are required to read would be received; since you're the only other person who's expressed interest so far in doing a non-English recording, I think it would be okay to give it a try, sure.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Sorry for the delay in updating, everybody. Part of that is me misunderstanding how Skype handles messages when a contact has yet to accept a request, part of it is some people not getting back to me quickly or at all with recordings.

I really need to make this clear: if you sign up, please make sure the contact info you give me is correct, and if I then give you a line, please make sure you do either submit it to me in a timely fashion or tell me that you can't do it, so I can put someone else on that line and you on another. Because I need to wait until I can check the actual scan data to make sure the text of all the scans that I downloaded is accurate, I can't really assign lines more than a few videos ahead at a time. So every time someone signs up and then doesn't say anything, that's several days basically wasted.

I'm doing my best to get scans sorted and assigned as soon as possible to give people enough time to record them, but it's not made any easier if people don't send me readings as soon as possible. I've shortened the deadline to at least minimise time lost, but if it happens too much more, I do have another way to handle it.

Part 03: You Chozo To Ruins This Rave

Y-Hat posted:

I'm not worthy for that nugget.

I will not lie: this is genuinely going to be the hardest decision of the LP.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Okay, open call to anyone who wants to read a little extra: I need as many different readings of the artefact clues as possible. So if you'd like to help out with that, whether you're signed up already or not, whether you've already read or not, just go here and read off as many as you can or want to, then send the recording to me.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I realised what the Chozo Lore entries were missing, and I wish I'd have remembered it sooner.

Part 04: A Flaahgra-nt Misuse Of Power

Geemer posted:

From his wording it looks like he's actually using one of those and wants to make sure the text in there is what is actually in the game.

I already know that the most complete PAL logbook doesn't have all correct entries, so I do need to confirm all scan data.

George posted:

I also can't say enough about the areas themselves. They're rarely lazy or symmetrical, and show a lot of creativity that level design seldom gets.

If you watch the speedrun at one of the GDQs, where they got Zoid, a programmer on the game, to join in via Skype, he mentions that each room was designed with the consideration of where Samus would be positioned and facing; he goes into quite a lot of detail about the design process when the people on the couch aren't cutting him off to explain things that are incredibly obvious.

Lunar Suite posted:

I've PMed you with my recording, and should you want to go for flavour, I've a) a program that can 'corrupt' text to a greater or lesser degree of legibility or b) speak german, with or without a horrible accent.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I'd prefer people leave effects out of their recordings and let me handle it.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
A shorter update this time, but next time should balance it out, if my estimates are good.

Part 05: A Song Of Phendrana And Magmoor

frozentreasure posted:

Okay, open call to anyone who wants to read a little extra: I need as many different readings of the artefact clues as possible. So if you'd like to help out with that, whether you're signed up already or not, whether you've already read or not, just go here and read off as many as you can or want to, then send the recording to me.

Also this is still open, I could use a few more readings.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Carbon dioxide posted:

I believe that in Finland it's quite common to expose yourself to real cold snow right after a sauna. The Finns think it's healthy, as long as you don't do it for too long.

Yes, I remember everyone in my family doing that when we spent Christmas in Lapland. I specifically didn't do it. Partly because I was 10 and the whole thing seemed weird.

Sorry for taking so long, time got away from me.

Part 06: You Can Always Find Me In The Drifts

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 30, 2015

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Lacedaemonius posted:

The chozo lore readings are awfully loud, if possible lower the volume a bit on them for future updates please.

Are you referring to just this recent update, or all Chozo Lore readings? I feel like I've been balancing all readings fairly well to match my own volume, although I can hear I left the reading for Cipher a little loud. Are you sure you don't just have your volume up a little high? I typically compare my videos against previous ones and the videos of others to make sure the audio is around the same level, and I don't think anyone's mentioned it before.

I'm rendering out a fixed version of 06 now, the link will be updated when it's done.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Samus doesn't seem to jump all that high; a single jump can't clear most ground-crawlers, despite the general assumption that it would; I even do it in the video, when I know it won't work.

What you're probably remembering when you think of how long Phendrana is is what immediately follows getting the spoublace jump boots, and your memory is combining it into a single sequence. It's not far off.

Video has been updated; took down the Cipher audio a little, so it should hopefully be better, and fixed up a couple of other slight audio issues I missed on my first pass.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Other M is a bad Metroid game because it is, fundamentally, not a Metroid game whatsoever.

DetectiveDorian posted:

Didn't they do that in this game? Ridley sees Samus in the space station, roars at her, then fucks off to Tallon IV.

He also does that in Super Metroid. The one time he did try to fight her at the start of a game he got kicked all the way to the third-last boss of Corruption.

Anyway, here's a new Metroid Prime update.

In this Metroid Prime update of Metroid Prime, we're going to play Metroid Prime and continue exploring the Metroid Prime world Tallon IV, in Metroid Prime. I'm really liking this game Metroid Prime.

Part 07: Like Looking Into A Mira

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Wait a second! I mistakenly posted the wrong video! Guys, why didn't anyone tell me? I'm so embarrassed, I can't believe I would do something like that.

Here's the real video.

Part 07: The Rave Beam

Also, for people who have signed up: even if you haven't yet gotten a line, I do still have all of your sign-ups, and you don't need to sign up a second time. I'll be assigning another batch of lines for the next handful of videos soon, so hang tight. I hope people like being space pirates.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Happy holidays, everyone. Here's your present, courtesy of the fact that they don't stop playing Christmas songs at department stores this time of year. This is really rough, but I ran out of time putting it together.

Bonus: The Samus Sing-a-long

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Sorry for letting this LP drop off the face of the earth for awhile. I needed to take a bit of a break, but also the next video was enough of an annoyance to route that I kept avoiding recording it to begin with. The update ought to be ready within the next week, and things should hopefully be relatively smooth sailing for several videos after that point.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
In the interest of clarity, some of the pirate logs aren't in the exact locations they're being read in this video, but they are all within the research labs.

Part 08: I Don't Like You, Aether

Sorry if the commentary isn't that terrific, I felt rusty. Look forward to the next video in hopefully not as long as that.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

frozentreasure posted:

Look forward to the next video in hopefully not as long as that.

Alright, exactly as I said, here is the next video, after not as long as the last video took. The next one will be next week, because I already recorded it and the commentary after reassessing my route through the game and figuring that a 60 minute video would be a bit of a slog to watch.

Part 09: The Thardus-t Thing I've Had To Do

I had something in mind for April Fool's Day involving a game about a baby, but it's been long enough without a proper update. Also I couldn't get it done in time. Alas.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Boom, consistency, look at me go.

Part 10: Wavebustin' Makes Me Feel Good

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I don't know that I'd say Retro/Nintendo hate speedrunners or sequence breakers. If they had made the games unbreakable in the first place I doubt people would be saying that, and yet that's the ideal scenario for most developers. Even developers who are openly communicative with speedrunners want to make their games fun to speedrun while also not having bugs, glitches, and exploits in them. They just try to design the levels, upgrades, and movement systems to all be fluid to begin with. The SGDQ '15 run of Ori and the Blind Forest is a good example, if I'm remembering my marathons correctly, where the runner showed off what basically amounted to Scuttlebug Transportation, and despite him acknowledging how nice the developers were about speedrunning, the developer still asked if he'd mind them fixing that exploit.

Anyway, I managed a third whole week of quick turnaround on videos. Ain't I somethin'?

Part 11: One Step Closer To Phendrana's Edge

And I'm about to break down the next big batch of readings to send out, but, as those of you who have played the game before might imagine, there's a lot in there, so it may take a little while. Gonna get it done as fast as I can.

In the meantime, you know that scan?

You know. That scan.

Yeah.

Who said I should hold auditions for it?

Well, I'm gonna do that.

So if you want to have a go at it, go here, search for PD16, and send the file to me through a PM or something. Best one gets it in the actual video.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I might be putting up a slightly different version when I wake up, depending how I feel about it then.

Anyway, this was probably the hardest single video of the LP, so it should be fairly smooth sailing from now on. He said, a flicker of hope in his eyes.

Part 12: The Mines Reaper

Bonus B: Kraig, the Unmotivated Space Pirate

frozentreasure posted:

So if you want to have a go at it, go here, search for PD16, and send the file to me through a PM or something. Best one gets it in the actual video.

frozentreasure posted:

Both of these are still open, by the way.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 6, 2016

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Last chance for the pirate data reading, if anyone else is up for it.

Time to collect a bunch of extra missiles so we can use the wavebuster exclusively on the final boss.

Part 13: Let's Playsma

I say this often, but the next update will definitely be faster; it doesn't have any scan data for me to wait on.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 21, 2016

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Akogare Zephyr posted:

Ah, the recording stuff! I'll see if I can somehow set up to record tonight or tomorrow unless you need it right now. It's just the pirate stuff right or also the artefacts?

Both are still open; the pirate data will be ending in the next week or so.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Probably someone got called away from the game for awhile and was morphed at the time, in that specific instance.

Thanks everyone for submitting readings of that log (you know, that log), they were all really good; alas, only one two three one can be chosen in the end.

Part 14: Jerry Theatrics

Still open for artefact readings; I need at least three more readings of the artefact clues.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Geemer posted:

I discovered it because I was bragging to my friend on MSN about how I got out of bounds and if you morph ball Samus ends up falling forever. Then when I got back to the game I noticed the gun was higher up than usual and I wanted to see how high it can go.

Nailed it.

Some areas of the mines almost seem like they could be swapped with the research labs, especially with a couple of relatively random purple doors to sections, but that's just me.

Part 15: He's Called Glowing Blue Rockman In Japan

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Less than a month, I'm amazing. Also don't get all the artefacts at the end of the game when you're actually playing it.

Part 16: Ridley's Believe It Or Not

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I feel obligated to note that the Metroid Prime run is currently on at SGDQ: http://gamesdonequick.com

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Oh hey everyone what are we all doing just hanging out, chatting casually, yeah I can do thatWHABAM, new update.

Part 17: Prime Time

Thanks everyone for joining along with me for the ride. I've now learned my lesson and the next LP will just be me. Possible follow-up video to come, not sure. If not, I'll see you all when I invariably, inevitably, do another Metroid-style game in like five months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
THE OPERATION WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME 11:16

http://lparchive.org/Metroid-Prime-(by-frozentreasure)

• Locked thread