Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

jamal posted:

Hahaha what in the gently caress. "hey why am I getting a code for cam sensor plus misfires? oh well, probably bad injectors or the ecu"

I know right :v: In his defense, it didn't actually trip a cam sensor code, and the 2nd injector plug was doing a very good job of hiding. I only worked it out when I went to plug the stock injectors into the harness to see if they'd click while cranking, and one of them wouldn't plug in...

He's also putting sealant-filled heatshrink over all the bits of wire that he partially stripped for testing purposes, so I think we're cool.

I'm still probably going to take it to the other shop (the place that has a lot more ECULabs experience) once I get it back, though. Just in case. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

literally a fish posted:

It could simply be the injector driver decided to die, it has happened with older Toyota ecu's before (Soarer 1UZ ecu's come to mind)

I have never heard of this happening in a Soarer ECU, whether stock or modified, so I'm not sure why they would be used as an example.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I have never heard of this happening in a Soarer ECU, whether stock or modified, so I'm not sure why they would be used as an example.

I do actually know of one 1UZ ECU from a friend's Soarer that stopped driving injectors, but it wasn't the injector driver itself, it was just the usual capacitor death. I recapped it and it's worked fine for two years since :v:

It also didn't get all weird and flaky it just straight stopped sending injector pulses or really doing much of anything

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Ahahahahaha wow

I'm super glad you figured stuff out dude. I'm pretty amazed they didn't do any kind of hardware testing at all.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

literally a fish posted:

I know right :v: In his defense, it didn't actually trip a cam sensor code, and the 2nd injector plug was doing a very good job of hiding. I only worked it out when I went to plug the stock injectors into the harness to see if they'd click while cranking, and one of them wouldn't plug in...

He's also putting sealant-filled heatshrink over all the bits of wire that he partially stripped for testing purposes, so I think we're cool.

I'm still probably going to take it to the other shop (the place that has a lot more ECULabs experience) once I get it back, though. Just in case. :v:

what in the gently caress? He's vivisecting your harness to probe it instead of backprobing connectors or putting in test stuff properly? Please tell me he did this to the adaptor cables not the vehicle harness itself.

I can see making that mistake, and I can see why the ECU was only occasionally throwing a code for the cam sensor... subaru really likes VR type coil pickup cam/crank sensors and a high impedance injector probably looks about like one (on an ECU dumb-simple continuity check anyways) until you try and get a signal from it. It would also maybe explain why it was getting real confused and sometimes not firing the cylinders on that head and cam sensor, too. Let me guess, cylinder 3 sometimes worked, and when it worked, the ECU was also throwing a code for the cam sensor?

I don't understand blaming the ECU for this, but many mechanics do that, even people who should know better. Barring known histories and symptoms of failures (old Ford ECUs blowing their ignition driver, Subaru ECUs losing an evap solenoid driver when the wiring falls apart and shorts out, OBD1 Jeep SBEC ECUs starting to suffer from capacitor death... etc) I usually blame everything else before the ECU.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
They did do SOME hardware testing - they tested the injectors before install, and they tested for continuity, found none, ran replacement lines from the ECU, and it didn't work because it wasn't triggering properly and they weren't testing the right wires :v:

It only took me about fifteen, twenty minutes - we both worked out the problem at exactly the same time. I was kind of surprised he hadn't tried plugging the stockies into the wiring in order to check if the ECU would still fire them or not, though.

He was also midway through tearing down an Evo IX when I rocked up, I should have taken pics.

kastein posted:

what in the gently caress? He's vivisecting your harness to probe it instead of backprobing connectors or putting in test stuff properly? Please tell me he did this to the adaptor cables not the vehicle harness itself.

I can see making that mistake, and I can see why the ECU was only occasionally throwing a code for the cam sensor... subaru really likes VR type coil pickup cam/crank sensors and a high impedance injector probably looks about like one (on an ECU dumb-simple continuity check anyways) until you try and get a signal from it. It would also maybe explain why it was getting real confused and sometimes not firing the cylinders on that head and cam sensor, too. Let me guess, cylinder 3 sometimes worked, and when it worked, the ECU was also throwing a code for the cam sensor?

I don't understand blaming the ECU for this, but many mechanics do that, even people who should know better. Barring known histories and symptoms of failures (old Ford ECUs blowing their ignition driver, Subaru ECUs losing an evap solenoid driver when the wiring falls apart and shorts out, OBD1 Jeep SBEC ECUs starting to suffer from capacitor death... etc) I usually blame everything else before the ECU.

Mmhm, exactly that. Yeah, cyl3 sometimes worked. I suspect it would have been throwing a code but I didn't ask. And yeah, I'm with you on blaming everything else before the ECU, which is why I couldn't work out what the hell was happening since the old injectors were 16 ohms and the injector dynamics ones are 16.7 ohms and it worked fine when I dropped it off - I'm glad I went up to check it out...

I definitely won't be coming back to these guys in the future, but it was a relatively easy mistake to make and the cam angle sensor is pretty well hidden, if you're not checking it (which, really, you should be, if you have an injector or spark triggering issue) it's easy to overlook, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt based on this and having a chat to some of their past customers.

I wonder what the impedance of the actual cam angle sensor is?

Looked it up in the service manual - 10 ohms, so yeah, I can definitely see the ECU passing a continuity test and then going :psyduck: when it gets no waveform.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wow, that's terrible. Injector installs should be pretty straightforward. I hope they didn't gently caress up the harness. :ohdear:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It's an easy mistake to make, and it can be easily remedied by actually giving a poo poo about fixing the issue in 15 or 20 minutes of diagnostics instead of putting it off and not communicating with you for 3 months.

I'd ask for a heavy discount.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Larrymer posted:

Wow, that's terrible. Injector installs should be pretty straightforward. I hope they didn't gently caress up the harness. :ohdear:

I watched him de-pin the connector and slide a self-soldering-and-sealing bit of heatshrink over it, so we're good there :3:

Adiabatic posted:

It's an easy mistake to make, and it can be easily remedied by actually giving a poo poo about fixing the issue in 15 or 20 minutes of diagnostics instead of putting it off and not communicating with you for 3 months.

I'd ask for a heavy discount.

From the way he was talking, I wouldn't be surprised if I hardly have to pay him anything at all. I supplied all the parts myself, too, so it's only been labor on their side. Slight correction, it's only been one month, but still.

I'll deal with that once it's sitting there tuned and I have the key back in my hand.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I've personally witnessed a mid 90s Camry get towed to my old mechanic because it wouldn't turn over, even with a jump, along with a complaint of misfiring for a few weeks.

... turns out the ECU for some reason decided "one injector must stay open anytime the ignition is on", and one cylinder was full of fuel.

Replacement ECU (plus an oil change) got it running again, but I'd guess it died from leaky caps. Can't really think of anything else except water intrusion that would make an ECU do that.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
In that case it sounds like the driver for that injector (aka the big N-channel mosfet in the ECU) failed short (likely due to overheating / just old age thermal cycling) - which is another common failure mode that's easily diagnosed :v:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

literally a fish posted:

I do actually know of one 1UZ ECU from a friend's Soarer that stopped driving injectors, but it wasn't the injector driver itself, it was just the usual capacitor death. I recapped it and it's worked fine for two years since :v:

Capacitor death is pretty common on these, and usually it's the traces damaged by the electrolyte that causes issues, rather than the failed capacitors themselves.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 21, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Well now it's been a week since the last email I got from these guys again.

Getting real tired of your poo poo, Cihan Aday.

This will teach me to not go to the recommended guys, especially since now I will have to take it to them as well to make sure he hasn't done anything assfuck retarded.

I'm gonna have to drive up again aren't I

I thought these guys had just about redeemed themselves but I mean jesus loving christ how hard is it to send an email? I've got half a mind to show up with cops and demand my stolen property back.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I have the car back in my possession again and will be taking it to the guys I should have taken it to the first time (who have experience with this software etc) as soon as they have an opening (hopefully later this week).

I'd like the last two months back thanks :v:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Any update?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Still having cam angle sensor issues. Shotgunning the problem with a new sensor and replacement wiring, then testing Saturday and with any luck to the tuner soon.

New tuning place has been having some issues replying to emails (they're super busy) and asked that I call once I've sorted it so that's the plan there.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
New cam angle sensor fixed cam angle sensor problem :toot:

New problem! ECU reports that MAP sensor voltage is too low. This should not be the case, as I programmed it with the curve of the new MAP. I suspect this is what caused all the issues the tuner had, as it will under no circumstances boost above wastegate pressure right now.

On the plus side, I created a new tune file (since I wasn't sure what state the tuner had left it in) and modified it for the injectors / to make it a bit less lean in places where it was too lean, and it drives great (albeit at half boost and without sequencing onto the 2nd turbo) - it's almost like I know what I'm doing! Thanks, YouTube!

Emailed Emmanuel to see if he can work out why the software isn't behaving. Hopefully a quick firmware update will remove the voltage check and all will be well.

If that actually was the problem the whole time, I feel a tiny bit bad for the first tuning shop. Not very bad, though, as their communication still sucked donkey rear end.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If there is one universal law of modifying cars it is that 99% of "tuners" do more harm than good in the long run and if you find a good one then never go anywhere else. The second universal law is that it is always the sensors.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

BigPaddy posted:

If there is one universal law of modifying cars it is that 99% of "tuners" do more harm than good in the long run and if you find a good one then never go anywhere else. The second universal law is that it is always the sensors.

Yup. I have, in fact, found a good one now - here's a sample of their recent work; (as always, click for full-rez)

That's a Porsche Spyder shell with a high-compression NA EJ25.

and this is an STi

that has a power curve like this (red line is petrol, blue line is E85)

IIRC this STi was a stock setup running the CarBerry ECU ROM

Their facebook page is full of pics of cars and dyno sheets and happy customers - and unlike the first guys I took this thing to, they actually respond to my emails and facebook messages, and update their page /very/ often. They're also recommended by Emmanuel (the guy who makes the ECULabs ECU modification) as people who actually know how to use the ECULabs software - and I can find a couple of ECULabs'd cars posted on their FB page.

So on that front, I should be good.

BigPaddy posted:

The second universal law is that it is always the sensors.

Well in this case the MAP sensor issue turned out not to be the MAP sensor's fault at all - Emmanuel found a MAP voltage upper/lower limit in the ROM which apparently is unique to the AU market version of this ECU, because OF COURSE MY CAR IS EVEN MORE OF A UNICORN.

He's assembling a new firmware version for me right now :v:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Hah yeah I have come across that before in an R34 GTT that was originally Auto and was converted to Manual but running the original Auto ecu. Needed to play with a few Nistune maps to find one that it would even start with before starting to remap it for the boost controller, exhaust, intercooler and bigger turbo. Unicorns are fun :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
^^^ If I'd had any idea how this would go I'd just have bought an FD RX-7 from the get-go, why get stabbed once if you can get stabbed repeatedly?

Installed new calibration and a 3port BCS (along with map mods to ensure it doesn't overboost) and what do you know, now I get 1 bar of boost when I ought to!

Except for some reason it doesn't transition to twin turbo mode at 3500rpm, it's doing it at 6500rpm.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's looking at injector duration as part of its engine load calculation, as the only thing I've changed against the base map was injector scaling and the cranking / tip-in adjustments to match the new injectors.

Emmanuel is looking into it, as I don't seem to have direct access to any of the transition-determining maps (most of that is sekrit black magic that the ECU handles on its own)

I have one further trick up my sleeve.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

literally a fish posted:

^^^ If I'd had any idea how this would go I'd just have bought an FD RX-7 from the get-go,

I have one further trick up my sleeve.

Have it be vacuum actuated per the FD vacuum line diagram?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Hah, nah, I did some better datalogging and worked out it's just because it's running pig rich and the TCV/ECV duty cycle tables are all wrong. ECU waits until there's less than 2psi difference between the pre-spooled secondary and the primary before connecting the secondary's air output to the intercooler, and right now it's taking an extra 3000rpm to build that boost 'cause the fueling and duty cycles are all wrong.

Duty cycle being wrong is weird, I need to investigate whether I'm actually using the stock maps (tuner may have hosed with the original map-file), but in any case it definitely seems to be fixable through software.

In essence, it needs tuning :v: :v: :v: :v: :v:

E: I feel I should probably mention that this is just as much of a vacuum clusterfuck as the RX-7 setup, arguably moreso in fact.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 23, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
If you've been reading the chat thread you'll know already but I got new rims for the Fiesta:

(click for big)

Volvo got new tyres at the same time. And has decided that the drivers' door handle on the inside won't work so you have to roll down the window and use the outside handle. Kwality.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

literally a fish posted:

Volvo got new tyres at the same time. And has decided that the drivers' door handle on the inside won't work so you have to roll down the window and use the outside handle. Kwality.

what sort of volvo? i need to do a wreckers run and get some bits for my volvo fleet that involve pulling door trims so we could have a melgoon meet at imlachs or the kilsyth pick-a-part (if you want to hit up the north side with me there was a treasure trove of scoobarus including a few wrxs and what looked like an sti)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Unfortunately it's a bit too new for Imlach to have bits for (2004 XC70) - and I don't want to touch the horrifying CANBUS wiring nightmare that is the inside of the door cards with a ten foot pole, so I'm gonna get Voldat to sort it out.

I need to own less unicorns so I can do wrecker runs and get useful bits, like when my brother had a Magna and i had a '96 peugeot 306XT. Everything I own now is either too new or too weird to get parts for at wreckers.

On the other hand, I have significantly more turbocharger now.

I'd be down for a wrecker run in general but holy crap this weather lately has been HORSESHIT

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

literally a fish posted:

And has decided that the drivers' door handle on the inside won't work so you have to roll down the window and use the outside handle. Kwality.

Man it took my Civic 23 years to do that.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Re subie tuners, the 4gen liberty guys swear by Matt from KiDo tuning, and he offer free retunes for life. I know its an extremely different engine, but he does all Subies and he flies around to all major Au cities a few times p year.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

literally a fish posted:

Unfortunately it's a bit too new for Imlach to have bits for (2004 XC70) - and I don't want to touch the horrifying CANBUS wiring nightmare that is the inside of the door cards with a ten foot pole, so I'm gonna get Voldat to sort it out.

I need to own less unicorns so I can do wrecker runs and get useful bits, like when my brother had a Magna and i had a '96 peugeot 306XT. Everything I own now is either too new or too weird to get parts for at wreckers.

On the other hand, I have significantly more turbocharger now.

I'd be down for a wrecker run in general but holy crap this weather lately has been HORSESHIT
im pretty sure theres one at the kilsyth pick-a-part. they post all the cars that come in on facebook and i keep an eye out for volvos and a few jap cars i know i can easily flip parts off.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man it took my Civic 23 years to do that.

Yeah, but your car didn't spend overnight in a tropical rainstorm with the windows rolled down, resulting in insurance writing it off, the owners buying it back and having the entire interior replaced and re-registering the car

(it was really cheap when I bought it as a result)

fickle poofterist posted:

Re subie tuners, the 4gen liberty guys swear by Matt from KiDo tuning, and he offer free retunes for life. I know its an extremely different engine, but he does all Subies and he flies around to all major Au cities a few times p year.

Yeah, I even met a guy who works at a local parts store who has a 4gen he's tuned, and I've been trying to contact him via email, forums, and facebook since september last year and he has not replied to a single loving message so if you know how to get ahold of him please let me know

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

im pretty sure theres one at the kilsyth pick-a-part. they post all the cars that come in on facebook and i keep an eye out for volvos and a few jap cars i know i can easily flip parts off.

I just had a look at the procedure for accessing the door release cable and it looks like the exact opposite of fun

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

literally a fish posted:

Yeah, I even met a guy who works at a local parts store who has a 4gen he's tuned, and I've been trying to contact him via email, forums, and facebook since september last year and he has not replied to a single loving message so if you know how to get ahold of him please let me know

I had the exact problem! Once I tracked him down I was super happy with the results though.

Ill pm you his number

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Cheers :)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Finally got ahold of Got It Rex, taking it in on Tuesday next week unless I happen to sort something else out with KiDo before then :3:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Hey lets go out and take a look at the Subaru and measure the inside of the wheels for centre caps

oh for gently caress's sake dad must have dropped a screw on the loving driveway gently caress

these tyres have less than 300 miles on them and the screw is close enough to the sidewall that i have no clue if it will be patchable or not.

:smithicide:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

She's dead, Jim.

Hey at least they're new enough that you only have to replace one!

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

gently caress that noise

At least you will get it tuned soon. I know you wont speak to Kido because he isn't due to visit Melbs for a few months.

I was chasing a second set of wheels for my Liberty so checked out Up Garage because you mentioned it. Is there a way to navigate the website without being Japanese?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, there is - http://www.croooober.com/static/wws/?_ga=1.13897591.1747351767.1429446375

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Tyre was not patchable. $186 later...

"Why are the tyres for the subaru cheaper than the Fiesta? Hmm... Oh, they're the same as a stock tyre size for a Commodore. Mystery solved"

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

This is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

fickle poofterist posted:

This is awesome

It's actually where I got the Subaru's current wheels - I paid almost as much for shipping as the wheels but still paid under $1k all up for wheels that sell for $2500 on ebay here :3:

• Locked thread