Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

C-Euro posted:

That's funny, the "Owie Asahina" is my signature wrestling finisher (I always wondered how you pronounced "Aoi"...)

I wasn't going to listen to the English voices because ever since I could understand Japanese I've never heard a dub that didn't make me cringe, but I gave that one a listen and it's just offensive.

Seriously. Put a character of a European nationality into a game and the actors will go to great efforts to pronounce their name the native way (often without success, but still, there's effort), even if it collides with English phonology and stress patterns. Why is it with Japanese names it's always stressed the wrong way, or sometimes completely mangled like here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Simplest answer is that the VA doesn't know Japanese phonemes very well and their voice director didn't correct them, tried to and failed, or was nonexistent in the first place (such as the VA getting handed a script with directions and nothing else.)
A slightly more complicated answer is that they were trying to pronounce it right but their voice got in the way. Instead of going 'Ah-oh-ie' like you're supposed to they went 'Aow-ie.' That's my take on it.

Technically there are worse examples from European nationalities, such as Jacques being pronounced 'Jacks,' Deutsch being pronounced 'Dutch' or 'Dootsch,' and tons of butchered Russian. However those nationalities are a lot more common in the states, which means that those mistakes are more common along with their corrections.

They still happen though and they're likely as painful/hilarious to people who fully understand those languages as 'Owie Asahina' is to someone who knows Japanese.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

Simplest answer is that the VA doesn't know Japanese phonemes very well and their voice director didn't correct them, tried to and failed, or was nonexistent in the first place (such as the VA getting handed a script with directions and nothing else.)

That's a great answer for an average American, but I expect professional voice actors, especially those of them that mainly do Japanese-produced entertainment, to train their ears for accents and foreign language phonetic differences and to be able to produce a close approximation of them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

People who pronounce Japanese correctly are weeaboos.

You don't wanna be a weeaboo, do ya?

I thought so, MaKOto.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I didn't know that the pronunciation was butchered that badly on her name but now that I do I agree with orenronen. I'm surprised that for all the Japanese games NIS localizes, they couldn't get that pronunciation correct. It's like they knew the VA couldn't say it properly, leading them to nickname her Hina for the whole game.

skepsipol
Jan 1, 2013

I was born for this.
Just so I understand correctly, in this case you would want each syllable to be heard with prominence, right?

So it would be like sounding it out, but rather quickly. (ah-oh-ee)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh boy, sub/dub elitism, my favorite.
It's more likely that since almost everyone in the cast is referred to by their first name or a made up nickname, we're not gonna be hearing "Aoi" ever again so they just did the one recording. Localization work is pretty low budget so I wouldn't be surprised by that. It's a universal thing regardless of language, just try and listen to some names in French or Spanish localized dubbed games back when they still did those. And Japanese pronunciations of English names, my favorite.
Although I do remember them saying they change names and their pronunciation if it would be easier for an English audience, so it could be that, but it's unlikely.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Budget and elitism have nothing to do with it. If you're only recording it the once, what's the harm in doing a couple of takes so that you're at least pronouncing it somewhere in the ball park of correctly? I won't presume to speak for others, but I don't think people are saying that dubs are inherently bad; just that the alternative doesn't run the risk of being cringe-inducingly low-effort*. Like, y'know, Owie.

* Or at least when there's low effort it's easier to ignore

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
When I said elitism I was referring to this statement:

quote:

I wasn't going to listen to the English voices because ever since I could understand Japanese I've never heard a dub that didn't make me cringe, but I gave that one a listen and it's just offensive.
Because I've dealt with this kind of person far too often and they wouldn't know a good dub if it hit them in the face. This isn't a matter of preference so much as bias. Matter of fact there's lot of dubs just as good if not better than the originals. Just look at Nier.
Clearly this isn't one of them but there's far more problems to be addressed regarding tone or expression and so on than just "Owie". But we'll get to those later.
Honestly this is more of a personal pet peeve so apologies if it's an overreaction.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Just a heads up, Danganronpa 3 was just shown off at the Tokyo Game Show. Having watched the trailer I'm going to preemptively ask that we keep all discussion of it out of this thread because its existence will probably spoil various parts of DR1, DR2 and DR:AE. Keep it to the series megathread in Games.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: This video will take you from the start of this update to the end of the introductions.

:siren: Click here to watch the rest of the introductions! :siren:

Those four over there are the only ones left.

: I am Sakura Ogami.

: Voice Actress: Jessica Gee-George

Oh jeez, I almost asked her if she was a guy... The day I say something like that out loud is the day I get turned into a human meatball... But now I remember. She competed in a martial arts tournament in America and won, despite being a girl. She's the Ultimate Martial Artist. She's fought in over 400 matches, and never lost a single one.

That thread also said a bit more about her... Some call her Ogre; some even think she's the closest known relative to the primates--the famed missing link. "Any incoming Hope's Peak students who are reading this, let me warn you right now... If you value your life, avoid her at all costs."

Standing in front of her now, I don't think they were exaggerating about that...

: Hey, you.
: Huh? Y-Yes!?

I snapped to attention without even realizing it. Then she started to poke and prod at my body...

: Um...what are you...?

: Muscular quality and quantity is right around that of an extremely ordinary high school student...

: Hmph. What a shame. You're not at all fit to act as my training partner.

I'm not sure that's such a shame for me...

: Name's Byakuya Togami.

: Voice Actor: Jason Wishnov
: Hi, uh...nice to meet you.
: ...

That's the most half-assed introduction I've ever heard... But there isn't really anything I can do about it. Even among the ultimate students, this one is special. Byakuya Togami... He's the heir apparent of his family's massive financial conglomerate. He's already started managing business operations, and his own personal assets are, well, vast. His title of Ultimate Affluent Progeny is completely accurate. He's the definition of "exceptional." That's everything I learned about him from that Hope's Peak Academy thread online.

: We're done with introductions, right? How much longer are you going to stand there? Go away. I'm sick of looking at you.

His aura says to me, "You and I will never stand on the same level." Like a king in training...

: I'm Yasuhiro Hagakure--Hiro for short! Take it easy, yeah? I know I will!

: Voice Actor: Kaiji Tang

Yasuhiro Hagakure, known as "Supernova" in the psychic community. The trend-setting Ultimate Clairvoyant... Honestly, I don't really get all that fortune-telling stuff. It's pretty much beyond me. Still, I can't help wondering if there's any truth to it.

: Ahh... Okay, I give up.
: Huh? What happened?
: I saw it. I looked right at it... Seriously, I totally saw it!
: ...Saw what?
: A guardian angel with a crazy perm chasing after Bigfoot running off with a skyfish in its mouth. And that guardian angel...is YOUR guardian angel!

: Nah, I'm just kiddin'. But hey, we should grab some brewskis sometime and get real deep into Lemuria and its civilization.
: What? We're not allowed to drink! We're in high school!

: Oh, I'm actually 21. I've been held back a few times, see, and...well, it's a long story.

A few times...? Yeah, I bet that *is* a long story.

: I do not think we have been introduced. I am Celestia Ludenburg.

: Voice Actress: Marieve Herington
: Celestia...Luden...huh?

: Ludenburg. It is my name. But if you don't mind, I would prefer for you to call me Celeste.
: Um...you *are* Japanese, right?

: Of course. Why do you ask?
: If you don't mind...could you tell me your real name?

: Heh-heh. I don't know what you are talking about. Celestia Ludenburg *is* my real name. But as I mentioned, I would much rather you call me Celeste.

She's polite, but pretty forceful at the same time. I don't think she wants to say any more about it... I guess the rumors in that thread were right about her...

The self-styled "Celestia Ludenburg," she's the Ultimate Gambler who's never lost a bet. Other than her obvious love of gothic lolita clothes, everything about her is wrapped in a veil of lies. They say she entered an won an underground gambling tournament, earning the title "Queen of Liars." She totally cleaned out the other players, taking their life savings and laughing as she did it.

: I look forward to getting to know you better.
: Heh-heh-heh...

That smile is beyond deceptive. I'd better watch myself around her...

And with that, all the introductions are done. Hmm... Even though they're all "ultimate," they each have their own individual sort of...um...something.

: Okay, time to get down to business. This is no time to stand around making friends like a bunch of dull-eyed baboons.
: Oh, that's true. I think someone said something about a bigger problem or something? What was that about?

: Well, you see...

: Makoto, you said a bunch of stuff happened and then you were "just asleep," right? Well, the same is true for all of us.
: What? Seriously!?

: Just after each of us got to the main hall, we lost consciousness. And when we came to, we were somewhere here in the school! That's what happened to you right?
: B-But that's just...weird! That every one of us would get knocked out like that...

: Exactly! That's why we're all freakin' out!

: And that's not the only thing. You saw where all the windows in the classes and hallways were, right?

: But instead of normal glass windows, it was a bunch of big metal plates! What's that about!?

: Plus, all my stuff's missing! Even my cellphone...

: Yeah, you're right. I haven't seen my PDA anywhere, either...

: And then there's the main hall here. The front exit is completely blocked by some giant metal hatch.

: But there wasn't anything like that when I first got here...!

: What the heck!? What's it doing there!?

: Maybe we got caught up in some kinda, like, you know...crime or something?

: What, like...a kidnapping? You think maybe someone grabbed us and hauled us off and we're not actually at school?

: Come on, don't think like that. Cheer up! I bet this is all just part of the school's orientation procedure.

: Yeah, I'm sure that's it! So I'm just gonna take it easy for a little bit.

: Oh... So you think they wanted to do something to surprise us?

: Huh. Well if that's all it is, it's nap time for me.

: I was up way too late last night, so I could use a little shuteye.

I could feel everyone's tension evaporating...

But then...it began.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

Music cuts out.

: Ahem! Ahem! Testing, testing! Mike check, one two! This is a test of the school broadcast system! Am I on? Can everyone hear me? Okay, well then...!

The voice seemed totally out of place. It was so playful, so completely unconcerned... I couldn't help but feel a deep, unnerving dread at the sound of it. It was like hearing someone laugh at the scene of an accident.

: Ahh, to all incoming students! I would like to begin the entrance ceremony at...right now! Please make your way to the gymnasium at your earliest convenience. ...That's all. I'll be waiting!

: ...What. The. Hell was that just now?
: Well then, if you'll excuse me... *leaves*

: H-Hey! What, you're gonna take off just like that!?

: Ohh yeah, now I get it! This whole thing was just to get us all pumped for the entrance ceremony!
: Man, thank god it was all a joke. I'd be totally freaked if this was real!
: Alright, guess I'll head out too. Wonder what they got planned for us next... *leaves*
: drat, I was totally looking forward to that nap too. Why'd they have to go and kill the mood? *leaves*
: W-Wait for me! I wanna go with you! *leaves*
: That is that, then. I will see you all there. *leaves*
: N-Not that anyone cares, but I-I'm gonna go too... *leaves*

Everyone took off for the gym, but I was frozen where I stood. That uneasy feeling I'd had before... I couldn't get it out of my mind. And it looked like I wasn't the only one...

: This...this doesn't seem right.

: Yeah, that announcement was totally weird.

: Maybe, but just staying put doesn't mean we'll be safe. Besides, aren't you guys just a little bit curious to find out what's going on around here?

: If we do not move forward, we learn nothing. The only choice is to push ahead.

I...I guess she's right. But still... I'm kinda--no, really nervous. We don't have a choice. We have to go.

: They said to go to the gym, right?

: Alright so, now we have to make our way over to the gym. But if we want to, a few of the students are still hanging around with us in the entrance hall. We can still talk to them for a few lines from each of them. Let's see what they have to say...

: Additionally, we can examine a few things in the main hall a little bit.

It looks like the kind of thing you'd see in a secret military base or something... This *is* the same main hall I was in before, right? This door definitely wasn't here then, though...

But there's no way that's a real gun...right?

: With that, we leave the area.

: The gym is the big room in the upper left.

: While we can stop and examine the other places like this metal barred staircase, all the messages Makoto gives us basically tell us that we can't explore yet. The gym is the only place we can go.

: Let's go in.

: God, I had no idea this Hope's Peak Academy place was gonna be such a pain in my balls. It really ain't that much different from the time I spent in juvie. Hell, this place is even worse!

: And why isn't there anyone here? Walking through the halls, I didn't see a single person...

: Isn't that like, seriously not good?

: Th-They're just trying to spook us! They'll take those metal plates down later, I'm sure of it...

: All we can do now is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

: Well hell, it ain't like I'm scared or nothin'. Let's just get this over with!
: Hey! Where's whoever called us here!? *leaves*
: Mondo, stop! No running! *leaves*
: I too shall go. *leaves*
: H-Hey, wait! Don't leave me here all alone! *leaves*
: Okay, time for some more tutorial action! You can press the Triangle button to observe the room you're in. Observing will display what people and objects you can interact with. Sorry for the late notice!

: Still a few people haven't entered the gym. We'll see what they have to say in a moment but first... Observation is a very useful mechanic when in a room. When you press the Triangle button:

Everything you can interact with will become highlighted with a circle. Blue circles are objects in the room, pink circles are people you can talk to. You should make extensive use of this when in a new area so that you don't miss anything. For example, that display case is highlighted, so we can examine it further.

Of course, all the students who go here are ultimate, right? So this is probably just a tiny fraction of all their awards.

: Of course, the others have a few things to say too.

Total silence... For whatever reason, she's the only one managing to stay calm. Or maybe I'm just imagining that...

: With that, we will see what awaits us in the gym next time.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 18, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I couldn't care less about some Japanese name being mispronounced. But wasn't Sakura's gender kept ambiguous for quite a while in the original?

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

I don't recall ever being in the dark about Sakura's gender in the lp. There was a joke about Ishimaru not knowing she was a girl, but that was it as I recall.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Carbon dioxide posted:

I couldn't care less about some Japanese name being mispronounced. But wasn't Sakura's gender kept ambiguous for quite a while in the original?

No. It was pointed out she was a girl in Orenronen's LP here as well.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Alright, then I misremembered. :shobon:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

This is, by far, the worst "Ultimate" Title of the bunch.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

RickVoid posted:

This is, by far, the worst "Ultimate" Title of the bunch.

I'd argue the opposite. It is the most ridiculous, and therefore the best.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Still filled with uneasy dread, I did what the announcement said and went to the gym. And I saw what was waiting for us there...

: Oh. It really does look like an entrance ceremony...

: See? Told ya! It's totally normal entrance ceremony stuff.

Hiro was right. But in a way, that just emphasized how completely *not* normal all of us were.

Music cuts out.

???: Hey there, howdy, hello! Is everyone here? Good! Then let's get things rolling!

:siren: Click the image or here to watch a video! :siren:

(BG Music)

(Conversation)

: Huh? A teddy bear?
: I'm not a teddy bear! I...am...Monokuma! And I am this school's headmaster!

It was the strangest thing I'd ever seen. Right before my eyes, it was... What I was seeing was... It was...utterly incomprehensible.

: Voice Actor: Brian Beacock
: Nice to meet you all!

Such a bright voice and carefree attitude was completely out of place. And all that anxiety I'd been carrying with me suddenly transformed into outright fear.

: Wh--? Waaaaaah! That teddy bear can talk!

: Calm down! I'm sure there's just a speaker inside it.

: I told you already, I'm not a teddy bear...

: I'm Monokuma! And I'm your headmaster!
: Waaaaah! It moved!

: Seriously man, calm down! It's prolly just a remote control toy or somethin'.

: How dare you compare me to a child's plaything! You've cut me deep. Deeper than the Mariana Trench...

: My remote control system is so complex, even the folks at NASA can't recreate or even comprehend it!
: Ah, but don't make me say stuff that might destroy NASA's dreams. I just couldn't BEAR that!

: "Bear" that? Really? You are...unfortunate.
: Now then, moving on! We really must hurry and get started...

: Giving up already? No other stupid bear puns?
: Quiet down now, quiet down. Ah, okay, so...!

: He has abandoned the gag...
: Everyone stand at attention and bow! And...good morning!

: Good morning!!!

: Y-You don't have to s-say it back...

: Now then, let us commence with a most noteworthy and memorable entrance ceremony! First, let's talk a bit about what your school life here will be like. Now, ah, make no mistake--you few students, so full of potential, represent the hope of the world. And to protect such splendid hope...

: ...you will all live a communal life together solely within the confines of this school. Everyone will live in harmony together, and adhere to the rules and regulations of the school.

Huh...?

: Ah, now then...regarding the end date for this communal life...
: There isn't one! In other words, you'll all be here until the day you die! Such is the school life you've been assigned.

: Wh-What did he just say? Until the day we d-die...?

: Oh, but fear not! We have quite an abundant budget, so you won't lack for all the common conveniences.

: That's the least of our worries right now!

: Yeah, what the hell? You're saying I have to live here forever? You're screwing with us, right?

: I am not screwing with you! I am no liar, of that you can be 100% sure.
: Ah, and just for your information...you're completely cut off from the outside world. So you don't have to worry about that dirty dirty land beyond these walls ever again!
: Cut off...? So all those metal plates all over the school...

: They're there to keep us trapped in here?

: That's exactly what they're there for. No matter how much you may yell and scream for help...help will not come. So with all of that in mind, feel free to live out your life here with reckless abandon!

: Come on, what the hell is this? I don't care if the school or whoever else is behind it all, this is just a really bad joke.

: Yeah! Cut this poo poo out! It isn't funny anymore!

: You keep saying this is a lie, or a joke. A bunch of skeptics, all of you.

: But I guess you can't help it, huh? You all grew up in an age where you're taught to doubt your neighbor... Well you'll have plenty of time to find out whether or not what I say is true. And when that time comes, you'll see with your own eyeballs that I speak the undeniable truth.

: Having to live here forever would be...quite the problem.

: Come, now. What's the matter with all of you? You decided of your own free will to attend Hope's Peak Academy, didn't you? And now, before the entrance ceremony is even finished, you've already decided you want to leave?
: Oh but you know... I guess I did forget to mention one thing. There *is* one way for you to leave the school...
: R-Really...?

: As headmaster, I've crafted a special clause for those of you who would like to leave! I call it...the Graduation Clause!
: Now, let me tell you about this fun little rule. As I mentioned, in order to maintain an environment of harmony here, we rely on a communal lifestyle. And if someone were to disrupt that harmony, they and they alone would be allowed to leave the school. That, my students, is the Graduation Clause!

: What do you mean by "disrupt the harmony"?

: Puhuhu... Well, you know... If one person were to murder another.
: M-Murder!?
: Stabbing, strangling, bludgeoning, crushing, hacking, drowning, igniting, how you do it doesn't matter. You must kill someone if you want to leave. It's as simple as that.

: The rest is up to you. Give it your all to achieve the best outcome in the worst way possible.

A chill shot down my spine... "You must kill someone if you want to leave." As soon as I heard those words, my blood went cold.

: Puhuhu. I bet *that* got your brain juices flowing! Beats the heck out of a human catching a salmon, huh? Like I said before, you guys are the hope of the world. But you know... Taking that hope and seeing it get murdered creates a darkened shadow of despair.

: And I just find that so...darn...exciting!

: What the hell are you talking about!? To kill each other is...It's!

: To kill each other is to kill each other. I'm sure there's a dictionary here somewhere if you need it.

: We know what it means, that's not the problem! Why do we have to kill each other!?

: Yeah! Stop blabbering on with all this nonsense! Just let us go home already!
: ...Blabbering?

: Blabbering, blabbering, what do you mean blabbering!? Stop blabbering on about blabbering on! You guys just don't get it do you? "Let us go, let us go!" You keep on saying the same thing over and over and over and over...! Listen. From this moment on, this school is your home, your life, your world. Got it?

: And you can kill as much as you wanna kill! So go ahead, go on a kill-kill-killing spree!

: Alright, come on... How long are you gonna keep this up?
: Eh?
: You got us, okay? You scared the hell out of us. So you can go ahead and reveal the trick now.
: Reveal the trick...?
: Yeah, cuz I mean... Y'know, this is all some kinda trick and all, right? So uh, like...

: Dude, shut the hell up and get outta my way.

Shoving Hiro aside, Mondo placed himself in front of Monokuma, his voice rumbling like thunder.

: Listen up, rear end in a top hat! This poo poo's gone way too far! What the hell kinda joke IS this!?

: Joke? What, you mean like your hair?

: FFFUUUUUUUUUUUU--!

Mondo roared out, and then there was a sudden BOOM! It was the sound of the floorboards as he kicked off and launched himself into the air. He flew at Monokuma, fast and straight as a bullet. He'd locked on to his target...

*Crash*

(Conversation)

: Gotcha, you little piece of poo poo! I dunno if you're a toy or a stuffed animal or whatever the hell! Either way, I'm gonna rip you to fuckin' shreds!

: Waah! Violence against the headmaster is in violation of school regulations!

: Shut the gently caress up! Let me outta here, or I swear to Christ...

Music cuts out, a beeping is heard instead.

: What, no smartass comeback this time!?

Beeping is getting faster.

: Stop that goddamn beeping and SAY SOMETHING!

: Watch out! Get rid of it!

Beeping gets even faster.

: Huh...?
: Hurry up and throw it!

I dunno if her ferocity stunned him into silence or what, but without a word he did what he was told. He...threw Monokuma. And as soon as he did...!

*KABOOM!*

: The hell!? Th-That sure as poo poo wasn't a joke. It blew the hell up...

There was a painful ringing in my ears, and I could smell gunpowder. Explosions might happen all the time in movies or whatever, but when it's in real life... I'd never seen anything like it.

: But you know... This means that the teddy bear's been destroyed, right?

: I told you, I'm not a teddy bear! I'm Monokuma!

: Uwah! There's another one...?

: You son of a bitch! You seriously tried to kill me just now!

: Well, yes. I was serious about trying to kill you. You did violate one of the school regulations, after all. I'll let you off with a warning this time, but you'd better be careful from now on. Any naughty boy or girl who violates my rules won't get off with just a little swat on the butt.

: H-Hey... So does this mean there's like, a bunch more of you around here somewhere?
: Monokumas have been placed all throughout the school, yes. Plus, don't forget the surveillance cameras installed everywhere. And if you're caught breaking any rules, well... you all just saw what happened, right?
: Puhuhu... And I won't be so forgiving with my punishment next time. So don't let it happen again!

: Th-That's not even punishment. That's just...wrong...
: Now then, lastly... To commemorate your joyous entry into our school, I have a little something for you...

: This is our official student handbook! Pretty cool, huh? As you can see, it's fully digital. So naturally, we call it... The e-Handbook!

: Ahem. Yes, well, moving on... This handbook is absolutely vital to a healthy school life, so don't lose it! When you start it up, it will display your name. Always make sure you have the right one!
: Now, this is not your everyday notebook. It has so many more uses than that!
: Also, it's completely waterproof. Splash it, wash it, drown it, it'll keep on ticking! And thanks to its space-age design, it can withstand an impact force of up to ten tons. Very resistant! It contains all of our school regulations, so make sure you review them thoroughly!

: You'll hear me say this a lot, but any violation of school regulations will not be tolerated.
: Rules restrict, yes, but they also protect. Society, for example, would be utter chaos without laws.

: The same thing applies here! Which is why it's crucial we have strict punishments in place for violators. Okay, well...that brings our entrance ceremony to a close! Please enjoy your abundantly dreary school life! And...see ya!

And with that, he was gone, leaving us all in a state of shock.

: So, guys... How would you define what we just experienced?
: How...? Why...? I don't understand any of this...
: We have to l-live here forever...? Or...k-kill?

: Wh-What...? What just happened!?

: Everyone, we need to just calm down. First, let's just take a second to summarize everything we just heard. Based on what Monokuma said, we essentially have two choice. Choice number one is that we each stay here, living a "communal life" together until the day we die. And the other choice is...

: If we want to get out of here alive, we have to kill someone. Right?

: But...killing someone... That's...

: We were abducted out of nowhere and stuffed into this place meant to look like a school. And now we're supposed to start killing each other? This is...
: This is...this is just...! What IS this!?

: A lie, is what it is. All these ridiculous things we've heard... This all has to be fake!

: Right now it doesn't really matter if it's real or fake. What matters is...

: Is there anyone here who's seriously considering all this...?

Music fades out.

To that, nobody had a response... Keeping quiet myself, I looked around at the others.

They all stared at one another, trying to gauge each other's thoughts. I could almost taste the hostility. And that's when it hit me. I realized the true terror hidden within the rules Monokuma had laid out. "You must kill someone if you want to leave." Those words had planted vicious thoughts deep within each of us. Each of us became suspicious of everyone else. We were forced to wonder, "Is somebody going to betray us?"

And that was how my new school life began... This school, which had come out of nowhere to raise my hopes so high... It's *not* a school of hope.

It's...a school of despair.

:siren: Click here or the image to watch the game's real Intro! :siren:

: And we get a Present for completing the Prologue. I will explain presents at a later time.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 18, 2016

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I think the voice for Monokuma is spot on. It's a very good blend of cartoony and unsettling like the original was going for so kudos for that.

FPzero posted:

: "Bear" that? Really? You are...unfortunate.
I'm glad we're still getting bear puns. :neckbeard:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not sure I like Monokuma's voice so much. But it doesn't really matter.

Mondo sounded suspiciously like Vegeta, there. :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

A couple things I wanted to bring up now that we're done with the Prologue.

First, a quick note about the update schedule. I've been posting an update every day so far but that was mostly so I could get everyone introduced and get out of the Prologue as fast as I could. From here on out, when I post an update will depend on the size of my update backlog. The more I have ready to go, the more frequently I can post updates. Right now I have a sizable backlog (I'm writing updates for the 1st investigation right now) because I wanted to establish my workflow of capturing footage, gathering images and writing the updates. Because of that, I can keep up the daily updates for a while longer. As I deplete my backlog, updates will slow down a bit but don't worry, I'm continually working on new updates as I post these ones. Just wanted to leave a heads up that this might not be an LP updated daily forever.

Second, speaking of updates I'm working on, I've reached the first trial in terms of where my current captured footage ends. I want to record the whole trial and have the video option available for everyone to watch but I'm not sure how I want to handle each section of the trial. Would it be best for me to make one large video that shows everything I include in that update or split up the video into smaller chunks for each trial phase like the previous LP did? I'm leaning towards the former because it means less video editing that I have to do. Opinions?

edit: vvv Oh god, no I'm not making a whole trial one update, that would be a full hour+ video and huge accompanying SSLP update and I'm not subjecting myself or others to that. We'll be doing cliffhanger baiting because it's more fun that way. :)

FPzero fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 16, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If you do a full trial in one update, one video works. If you cliffhanger bait it, a video for each section would be best.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

"You must kill someone if you want to leave." My mind froze and my breath caught in my throat as I thought about that... I could feel a paralyzing fear slowly making its way through my body, dominating every last nerve. The air hung heavy on me, pressing down like a weight around my neck. It took everything I had just to endure that weight...

But for as heavy as the air felt... all it took to pierce it was her sharp words.

: So? What are you going to do now? Just stand around glaring at each other? Her pointed comment was directed at everyone in the room. It helped pull us back to reality.

: R-Right... She's right!
: Sometimes, even if you're nervous or afraid, you just have to step forward!

: To forget such a simple fact... I can't forgive myself. I'm so ashamed! Please, someone hit me! I can't forgive myself! Somebody hit me! Punish me!

: Jesus. If you have time to yell about it, you have time to DO something about it.

: Perhaps, but...what is the mission, exactly?

: Idiot! To look for a way out, duh!

: And we totally need to find out whoever was controlling that stupid bear and beat the hell out of 'em.

: ...B-But before we do all that, maybe we should take a look at the handbook... It's probably best to check out the school regulations Monokuma mentioned before doing anything else.

: True. If we stumble around with no clue what the rules are, something like that might happen again...

: poo poo...

: Fine. Then let's hurry up and check out the stupid rules already.

After turning on my e-Handbook, the first thing that appeared was my name. So just like Monokuma said, the owner's name showed up front and center. Then, from the Main Menu that popped up, I selected the School Regulations icon.

An itemized list appears on-screen. It was the school regulations. In other words, the rules being imposed on us all.

1. Students may reside only within the school. Leaving campus is an unacceptable use of time.
2. "Nighttime" is from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. Some areas are off-limits at night, so please exercise caution.
3. Sleeping anywhere other than the dormitory will be seen as sleeping in class and punished accordingly.
4. With minimal restrictions, you are free to explore Hope's Peak Academy at your discretion.
5. Violence against Headmaster Monokuma is strictly prohibited, as is destruction of surveillance cameras.
6. Anyone who kills a fellow student and becomes "blackened" will graduate, unless they are discovered.
7. Additional school regulations may be added as necessary.

Feeling a slight dizziness, I raised my face up from the screen. As I looked around, I saw the same stormy expression on everyone's faces.

: This is bullshit! What the hell kinda rules are these!? I'm not gonna let them control ME!

: Well then, why don't you wander around the school without a care in the world and see what happens? Personally, I would love to see what happens when someone breaks one of the rules.
: But if he got punished like what we saw before, I don't think there'd be a respawn waiting for him...

: I... Ever since I was a kid, I grew up with my older brother pounding this into my head... When a man makes a promise, he has to keep it, even if it kills him.

: ...So what?

: I've made a ton of promises that I still have to keep, that's "so what"!

: So I can't afford to die in here!

: None of that made much sense to me, but you are saying you will follow the regulations, is that it?

: Huh? Oh, well...yeah, I guess you're right.

: Hey, um...I have a question. For regulation number six...what do you think it means exactly?

: You're talking about the second half, right? Where it says "unless they are discovered"? I was wondering about that myself.

: It's saying that if you want to graduate, you have to kill someone without anyone finding out it was you.

: B-But why...? Why do we h-have to do that?
: I don't see any reason to worry about it. Just worry about following the rules as they've been explained to us.

: Frankly, I don't want to hear anything from someone who waits for others to decide what to do for them.

: D-Don't jab at me...
: More like a full-on stab...
: Well for now, let's forget all that silly junk about murderers or whatever.

: Now that we know the rules, let's start exploring the school!

: True. We need to find out where exactly we are. Is there any way out? What about food and supplies?
: There are tons of questions we need to answer!

: drat straight! Okay, then let's all start looking around!

: ...I'll be going alone.
: What!? Why? That's a pretty stupid idea, don't you think?

: Someone here might already have started thinking about murdering one of us. Are you saying we should stand around with them in our midst and make it that much easier for them?
: W-Wait, hold on a second. That would never--!

Music cuts out.

: Don't bother saying it couldn't happen. You can't deny the possibility. That's why you all seized up with fear when that graduation rule was made clear to you.

: Am I wrong?

: B-But......

: So, I'm simply acting in accordance with what I think is best for me.

: Hold on! Like hell I'm gonna let you run off and do whatever you want!

: Out of my way, plankton.

: Wh--!? The gently caress's that supposed to mean!?
: One tiny bit of plankton, drifting across the sea. So minuscule, so insignificant, they couldn't possibly have any kind of influence on the boundless ocean.

: I'm gonna kick your rear end!
: S-Stop it! We shouldn't fight!
: The gently caress you just say? You some kinda goody-goody little bitch?

: Who do you think you are, talkin' to me like that? You think you're my fuckin' dad or something!?
: N-No, I wasn't--!

: gently caress you!

*WHAM*

Music cuts out.

He punched me...and I flew back in a heap. It was like something straight out of a comic book. I didn't even see the punch coming. It was just suddenly right there in my face. One second I was standing there, the next I was soaring through the air. Now that I think about it, maybe I'd kinda forgotten...the kind of people I'd been trapped here with. My common sense had just...stopped functioning. Being around all these "ultimates" had blown my fuses. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised it led to something as absurd as this. But I'd just...lost track of that sense of reality. That was my last thought as my consciousness started to fade...before it finally cut out completely.

And when I finally opened my eyes again, what I saw was...

: Ng...gah... Huh? Wh-Where am I?

As if it had become part of my daily routine, I woke up in yet another room I'd never seen before.

: Okay, so... Where am I now?
: You now have access to the Handbook Menu. You can use this to check a variety of information as you play. Open the Handbook Menu by pressing the Square button. You can use this menu to check the School Regulations, and character info in the Report Card section. At certain points, Map and Truth Bullets may not be available. You can also save and load game data under the System section. Finally, press the SELECT button to review the Transcript. This records all pertinent info, so use this to review comments from everyone involved.

: This is the e-Handbook. It's our pause menu. As you can see, we can't view the Map of the area right now or the Truth Bullets section. Truth Bullets only become available when we have evidence to review at later times.

: First, we can take a look at the Presents section. Right now, there's almost nothing in here, but if we scroll way down the list we'll find...

: The School Crest that we got for completing the Prologue. It doesn't do anything in particular. Clearing a chapter gives you a Chapter-specific present. As for other presents, it's still not time to talk about them in detail.

: Next, we have the Report Card section. This section gives a little info about all of the students in the game, Makoto included.

: As you get to know the students better, more information will get filled in on their respective pages.
: We can also view the School Regulations at any time if you wish to see them again for whatever reason.
: System includes the Saving and Loading features, as well as the Options menu, a Return to Main Menu option and the Transcript. The Transcript is very useful if you forgot what someone said 5 seconds ago because it records every single piece of text that the game displays, be it spoken word, thoughts, tutorials or sound effects, and keeps a backlog of at least 100 lines, probably more. It's a very handy feature.

: Now that we've viewed the e-Handbook in detail, it's time to check out where we are. We can't progress until we check everything here, but not everything is important so I'll only show you the things of note.

I guess the school must have given one to each of us...

It must be brand-new. It's still in the shrink-wrap. I don't really need it right now, so I'll just leave it here.

"Announcement from Headmaster Monokuma: Each room's lock has been designed to completely protect against tampering or lock-picking. Remaking an individual room key is quite troublesome, so please make sure not to lose yours. Your room comes furnished with a shower, but please note that the water is turned off at nighttime. Also, the bathrooms in the girls' rooms include a lock of their own.

Finally, we've prepared a small gift for each of you. For the girls, a sewing kit. And for the boys, a toolkit. The sewing kit includes a map of the body's vital organs. One stab will do the job, girls! For the boys, we believe a strong blow to the head with any of the tools should be ample. Don't think! Just feel! And let's all enjoy ourselves!"

I crumpled up the sheet of paper and threw it in the trash.

All that's in the trash can is the paper I wadded up and threw away.

: This is a Monocoin. You can find them by examining objects in rooms. You also get a large amount of them every time you clear a chapter. They are used to buy things in the School Store.

*Rattle rattle*

: Huh? It's not opening. I guess it's locked.

My name's written on the keychain. Which means it must be mine, right? I'd better hang on to it for now.

: I think I'm starting to understand. This room must be...

This is my assigned dorm room. Someone must have carried me here after I fell unconscious. So that answers that question. The next question is...

: What's everyone else up to right now?

There's only one way to find out... And that's to get out of here.

: Next time, we go outside.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 18, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Monocoin? Not Monozeni? :v: I won't press the issue I promise oh god don't probate me I even let "blackened" lie .
Wow there are a lot of images on this page. Had to load it up in Awful so that read images didn't load to be able to read the update. Hopefully that fixes itself as the update schedule slows down.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Why would the report cards list the person's chest... measurement? What is the point of that?

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Why would the report cards list the person's chest... measurement? What is the point of that?

It could be useful in an investigation maybe! :pseudo:

Haha just messin it's because Japan.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Clearly it's so we can know exactly how fat Hifumi is.

(He is pretty fat)

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

According to the art books, Hifumi canonically has the largest bust size of anyone in the series.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Actually, I'm curious to know if I have any readers that have not seen this game before and are unspoiled by the plot and mysteries it holds. It sounds like most of the posters here so far have played it or read the previous LP.

AlphaKretin posted:

Wow there are a lot of images on this page. Had to load it up in Awful so that read images didn't load to be able to read the update. Hopefully that fixes itself as the update schedule slows down.
I've been worrying about the number of images per page bogging down load times. Hopefully once we get more into the meat of the game the updates will be better spaced out across pages because there will be more to talk about. Right now, even though we're in Chapter 1, we're still pretty much in the Introduction of the game where we're still getting a feel for everyone's character and getting the whole plot set up.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I have seen this game LPed, and will not be posting theories, but am waiting for first time reactions on pins and needles :getin:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Was around for the original LP, report my dumb rear end if I accidentally post spoilers.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

FPzero posted:

Actually, I'm curious to know if I have any readers that have not seen this game before and are unspoiled by the plot and mysteries it holds. It sounds like most of the posters here so far have played it or read the previous LP.

Read the LP, and have the limited edition of all three games.

I doubt there will be very many people who are not familiar with the story. The LP was extremely popular, and responsible for a bunch of people signing up with the forums to read it. And most people who have a Vita (so like, ten people, tops) have played it. Also, there was an anime of the game, with the English dub coming out in November.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This would be a great thread to convert to FULL SPOILERS TERRITORY so we can all talk about spoilers as we recognize them and discuss certain things we speculated on, are wondering how they will happen, and otherwise. Since this is a dub of a game that paid lowtax :10bux: x 100 to even see how it resolves

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

FPzero posted:

I've been worrying about the number of images per page bogging down load times. Hopefully once we get more into the meat of the game the updates will be better spaced out across pages because there will be more to talk about. Right now, even though we're in Chapter 1, we're still pretty much in the Introduction of the game where we're still getting a feel for everyone's character and getting the whole plot set up.

I've never seen it and know nothing about the plot, but I also could give a gently caress about a spoiler, so discuss away, doesn't bother me.

Also load times seemed normal.

I have a question about the game, in that something you said in the OP appears to conflict with the screenshots, but I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be "spoiler: you'll find out later" so I'll hold off on asking it unless the thread's spoiler policy changes.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I wonder why they went with Monokuma instead of Monobear. If I remember right it was Monokuma in Japanese, which had some mixing of the language between monochrome for English and kuma for Japanese. Maybe they're keeping it Monokuma for the same reason, it has a bit of symmetry. Still think I liked Monobear better, it feels to me like it's got more dissonance to it. Can't explain what I mean by that either!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

dscruffy1 posted:

Still think I liked Monobear better, it feels to me like it's got more dissonance to it.

I agree. Monokuma doesn't really have any feel to it, for me -- the 'mono' could very easily be standard Japanese for all I know, so it's just another foreign word. Monobear, by contrast, just feels wrong as a linguistic construct. Does the 'mono' imply the disease? If it's implying 'one', then why not 'solobear', or something else more grammatically correct? Besides, wouldn't any individual bear be a unit in its own right, and hey, we know Monobear is a whole group of different automata, so it's a lie anyway. The end result is that it is uneasy.

(Obviously, I read the other LP!)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

dscruffy1 posted:

I wonder why they went with Monokuma instead of Monobear.

I think it was a request from Spike Chunsoft to keep it Monokuma when NIS was translating it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Leif. posted:

I have a question about the game, in that something you said in the OP appears to conflict with the screenshots, but I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be "spoiler: you'll find out later" so I'll hold off on asking it unless the thread's spoiler policy changes.

Go ahead and put the question in a spoiler bar if you're unsure and I'll respond to it appropriately.

Update will be up in a few hours.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Been a while since I've looked at anything Dangan Ronpa. I've gotta say, it's still striking how effectively the music, art, and writing create a really nightmarish atmosphere right off the bat. Spoiler warning (not really): that atmosphere only gets thicker as the game goes on.

I will say, I do kind of wish someone in the group had raised the idea that the obviously batshit person who abducted a pack of teenagers, imprisoned them in a nightmarish prison of a high-school, taunts them via explosive teddy-bots, and is encouraging them to kill each other maybe shouldn't be taken at his word when he says that he'll let them out if they play his game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

One more post to push the update to the next page.

death .cab for qt posted:

This would be a great thread to convert to FULL SPOILERS TERRITORY so we can all talk about spoilers as we recognize them and discuss certain things we speculated on, are wondering how they will happen, and otherwise. Since this is a dub of a game that paid lowtax :10bux: x 100 to even see how it resolves

I'm considering this judging by how many posters are mentioning they know the game. That's why I was hoping to draw out any comments from those who are unspoiled on it. I know I enjoyed reading the game from start to finish with no knowledge of it back when the first LP happened so I wanted to be considerate of those people too. There is, however, so much I'd love to point out as we go in relation to events later in the game that I obviously can't talk about because spoilers. Additionally, when I played the english version this summer for the first time since reading the LP, I remembered key plot points but almost none of the specifics. Some of you may be the same way.

I'm thinking about at least changing the policy to black bars allowed but haven't made my final decision on it yet. Update in next post.

• Locked thread