Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXTmlWflYJA

What is Blood Bowl?
Blood Bowl is what happens when the creatures from Games Workshop's Warhammer universe put down their knives/axes/bolters/lasguns and pick up some shoulder pads and a helmet. As the coach and team manager, you put together a team of Elf/Orc/Skaven players, square off against an opponent, and prepare yourself for 16 turns of death/failure/embarassment/occasional victory.

This is also Blood Bowl.

Why Should I Blood Bowl?
Blood Bowl is a really unique mix of rugby/football, tabletop wargaming, and team management. The back and forth of trying to score past your opponent or kill their players while scoring over the corpses, while not getting scored on or murdered yourself is fun enough, but you also get to build up your team, give them skills on levelups, and allow them to start to develop strengths and roles as they rise from Rookies to Legends. Because Blood Bowl is a turn based game, it's also compared a bit to chess, but the kind of chess where you roll 2d6 to gently caress up somebody's face. Blood Bowl will make you feel like a hero as you triumph in a hard-won battle, and take everything from you the very next match as your star player eats it trying to dodge away from an innocent enemy lineman.

Cool, How Can I Start?
There are a couple ways to take part in the sport of kings.

Blood Bowl 2 - BB2 recently launched in beta, so if you preordered it you should be able to check it out now. The beta lets you play as Humans, Orcs, Skaven or Dwarves for the time being. It'll be launching on Steam, PS4 and XBox One on September 22nd.

Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition - BB:CE has been around for a couple years, and has been the standard for goon leagues and pickup matches. While it lacks the visual pinache of BB2, it has 21 (22?) races and still uses the same rules as BB2. It's available on Steam, and I'm sure there are some console versions but I heard they are straight garbage.

FUMBBL - Are you a straight up grog? Do you like your Blood Bowl fast, with no frills, efficient, and tough as nails? Want to not spend a single cent? FUMBBL might be the place for you. FUMBBL is a free site, supported by its members and built by tabletop enthusiasts, with 24(?) races, a lot more features missing from the 3D Cyanide games, and a flat, clean, 2D Java-based game client. It's available at fumbbl.com

Tabletop - Blood Bowl started as a tabletop game, presumably there are people still playing it out there? I donno.

How Do I Play With Goons?
Obviously this thread, but there is also
IRC - #tgbloodbowl on irc.synirc.org - You can use http://cgiirc.synirc.net/ to join if you don't wanna download an IRC client in TYOOL 2015

Want to join a goon BloodBowl 2 League? Of course you do! Just follow these simple instructions:
1. Find GoonleagueSA on the game server and request to join the LoserLadder.
2. Send a pm to forum user Brassherald, or an email to brassheraldsa@gmail.com, telling him your team's name as well as the SA name if you are emailing. (Don't want no pubbies in this league)
3. When he is around, he'll approve and you'll get a ticket, accept that ticket and join the rest of the losers on this ladder.

and maybe others? If there's a place where people are talking about Blood Bowl, lemme know and I'll throw it in here.
IRC is probably the best place to find goon vets willing to help/poach newbies, or likeminded new players you can swap war stories with

The Rulebook
http://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/CRP1.pdf
Here's a copy of the current rulebook, LRB6 aka CRP. It's a useful resource for checking stats, numbers, etc. I don't know if I'd recommend reading it cover to cover at the start, but it's full of great information.

So, feel free to share some amazing stories or screenshots, or just ask questions!

More importantly, tell me about BB2, I haven't played it but I've heard good and bad things

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
praise nuffle

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does BB2 have a price yet on extra teams?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

beep be-beep beep beep beep Breaking News

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but the xml files and poo poo for the game are really easily readable, and box wine over on IRC posted a list of races that were in an XML file

Human, High Elf, Dark Elf, Dwarf, Orc, Skaven, Chaos, Brettonia, Lizardmen, Wood Elf, Chaos Pact

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things has never been in a Cyanide Game and hasn't been announced

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Let the poo poo flow again.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
FUMBBL IS PRETTY GODDAMN GREAT

It's got MONKEYS

(there are more monkeys on the full roster)

Peep these sweet GRAPHICS:

Miss your dead players when they just up and disappear on Cyanide? You can TREASURE THEIR MEMORY FOREVER ON FUMBBL!

Flex your artistic muscle and SLATHER YOUR MANS IN YOUR THICK CREATIVE JUICES:

Put little notations on dudes so you know who the gently caress has DIVING TACKLE and/or SHADOWING or whatever. BB2 AINT GOT THIS poo poo SON

"AW POOP I SPUN DWARVES AGAIN!" - said noone ever ON FUMBBL WHERE YOU CAN PICK YOUR OPPONENTS (or still spin against shitheads if you're into that)

Meet new and interesting people FROM FARAWAY LANDS!

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 12, 2015

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Does bb2 have resumable league matches? This is important.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I bought this after watching twitch streams even though I really shouldn't. I'm terrible at this game but I've been playing all day.

JUST PICK UP THE BALL YOU PUTZ!

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Ok who's playing the BB2 beta? How is the AI? Any obvious bugs? Is there any reason at all to get it over BB1 and FUMBBL?

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
There's no AI to play its only mp beta. There's really no reason to get it over bb1 or fumbbl yet unless you have some raging hard on for brets.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It should be noted that Brets are a Plasmoids team and are in Fumbbl's secret league, whatever that is.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Box wine posted:

There's no AI to play its only mp beta. There's really no reason to get it over bb1 or fumbbl yet unless you have some raging hard on for brets.

This is incorrect. There is currently functional AI. You won't gain any levels or suffer injuries, it's purely for testing out teams.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

No Necromantic, no sale :colbert:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
BB2:

After playing 1 Dwarf team too many, (ie, one Dwarf team), I think I'm just going to auto-concede when playing Dwarf.

The End Turn button is conspicuously easy to click by accident.

Skills are tiny icons that don't have any direct meaning to what the skill is, and the camera keeps cutting away.

I'm sure Amazons will be :10bux: AND take 2 years to come out. And I will pay it :(

The cheerleaders look worse.

WTF is the use of the "OK?" icon when it dosn't actually stop you clicking on dodge into 4 tackle zones because the interface is not good.

And I'm still glad I pre-payed. It's blood bowl, with a much nicer league generator and play mechanic. League plays looks to be a lot better than BB1. Is there a Goon league to join? Can it ban dwarfs?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 12, 2015

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
That minotaur gif is the best poo poo ever.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I bought this game, never played before, hoping to get with sone goons and learn just hope I dont get gently caressed too hard from the start

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Willfrey posted:

I bought this game, never played before, hoping to get with sone goons and learn just hope I dont get gently caressed too hard from the start
Friendly forum tip: You can say "gently caress" on the forum. The gently caress filter is only active if you aren't logged in.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I was gonna make an effort post, but eh. Suffice it to say: I won't be buying it at launch. I will wait to find out how much they expect to charge for teams. If it is $10, I will not buy the game simply on principle, even though my favorite team is already in it. If it is $5, then I will probably pick the game up on a sale at some point.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I got the beta. Versus BBA chaos edition, BB2 is a lot prettier and more characterful, has a more intuitive UI and in my opinion plays a bit smoother. So far I like it and have no desire to go back, assuming the full set of teams get released in due course. And I'm looking forward to playing around with the Brettonians.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
I'm sure by the next summer sale they'll have the game with all the DLCs for like $15.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I'm sure by the next summer sale they'll have the game with all the DLCs for like $15.

Yeah, all one team they release by then. But, hey, at least then we'll have three different versions of loving elves, not including short hairy rat elves.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Oh absolutely. By next summer I expect we'll have 20+ teams available. That's 12 DLC teams, but by then they'll be in a bundle for all 12 DLC teams for like $20, which ain't too bad.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
How do you actually join the NRF?

e: ok it's slightly unclear but clicking on a league's shield is the wrong thing to do, you click the little "Register" button under it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Sylphosaurus posted:

Friendly forum tip: You can say "gently caress" on the forum. The gently caress filter is only active if you aren't logged in.

Friendly forum post: most regular posters from 2007 know this and use it in jest

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I was hoping to pick up BB2 and Ive never played the first one. How much of a learning curve is there?

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009

JesterOfAmerica posted:

I was hoping to pick up BB2 and Ive never played the first one. How much of a learning curve is there?

It's actually not that bad--there are some decent guides on the internet, since the board game / bb1 are pretty much the exact same game functionally.

The teams vary wildly in how you actually play them in most cases which keeps it interesting

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006
i've seen absolutely nothing to convince me this is worth getting while ever i have chaos edition in my library

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

JesterOfAmerica posted:

It's not too bad. Will take you a few hours to get the hang of things but after that you will find a pretty complex and fun squad-RPG boardgame thing.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

flamingdawg posted:

i've seen absolutely nothing to convince me this is worth getting while ever i have chaos edition in my library

Well, we're already talking about moving our SA tournaments over to BB2. I imagine BB1 will get pretty dead eventually.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JesterOfAmerica posted:

You will get completely trashed for a while by anyone good because it's a complex game of geometry and total bullshit dice. That may eventually change for you.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Funso Banjo posted:

Well, we're already talking about moving our SA tournaments over to BB2. I imagine BB1 will get pretty dead eventually.

The question isn't if people will move to BB2; they will eventually, given enough time (like, multiple years). The question is if enough people will hold out on BB2 long enough to make it untenable for the publisher so that the money dries up and we end up with half a game. I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but then again, if Cyanide and Focus weren't so poo poo, then all our doubts wouldn't be so reasonable.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

The question isn't if people will move to BB2; they will eventually, given enough time (like, multiple years). The question is if enough people will hold out on BB2 long enough to make it untenable for the publisher so that the money dries up and we end up with half a game. I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but then again, if Cyanide and Focus weren't so poo poo, then all our doubts wouldn't be so reasonable.

One of the more popular sounding requests is inclusion of Slann, which GW don't want in BB for some reason. Can have 3 - 5 flavors of Elf, but only one flavor of Lizards.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

GNU Order posted:

beep be-beep beep beep beep Breaking News

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but the xml files and poo poo for the game are really easily readable, and box wine over on IRC posted a list of races that were in an XML file

Human, High Elf, Dark Elf, Dwarf, Orc, Skaven, Chaos, Brettonia, Lizardmen, Wood Elf, Chaos Pact

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things has never been in a Cyanide Game and hasn't been announced

I hope Chaos Pact gets included so badly, I have wanted to play them in a league for a very long time and they were never included in BB1.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Funso Banjo posted:

I think only 2 of the 16 people participating in the current Goon Bowl have pre-purchased it.

I dunno who "we" are but "we" are strangely optimistic about the near-future of BB2.

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
I am playing BB2, and enjoying it, aside from all the dwarfs. Some skills like Pass Block seem to be missing,the interface is only a bit of an improvement, and some features from BB1 are missing...

But, it is extra full of the scrubbiest of scrubs, and is awesome for it.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Victor Vermis posted:

I think only 2 of the 16 people participating in the current Goon Bowl have pre-purchased it.

I dunno who "we" are but "we" are strangely optimistic about the near-future of BB2.

Some of us just have to many dota items which results in a lot of steam bucks.

Edit: I'd actually advise waiting to see how dlc will be done. Cost of it, will it be done in packs/singles, etc.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

This is incorrect. There is currently functional AI. You won't gain any levels or suffer injuries, it's purely for testing out teams.

Oh so there is I honestly just didn't see it. My mistake.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 12, 2015

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde
I've got a Blood Bowl 2 - Preview Copy.
And it has some neat improvements, and a bunch of lovely downgrades. It's a weird mishmash of good things and mostly lovely things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WhKiQF0PL8

Edit: One "good" thing I guess is that most people playing the MP beta are new coaches. So people concede a lot and it's generally pretty easy to win games unless you get diced.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

As much as I hate the elitist attitude behind using the word "consolify", there are a lot of UI/UX choices which seem like they're meant to make the game look slick and pretty and a bit simplified. Walking back on simple stuff like the pass range grid, map grid, player names, visible tackle zones, etc which was meant presumably for people who have played the game for a while, since stuff like names and the grid are turned off by default. I understand that, say, the team roster menu in CE:LE/CE:BB is pretty dense and is literally just a table, but if you know what you're looking at you can pretty easily parse what's going on.

I do like that they labeled the pitch vertically because I'm bad at counting how many squares I am from the end zone.

BTW If you path near the ball will your player try to walk over it?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

cKnoor posted:

I've got a Blood Bowl 2 - Preview Copy.
And it has some neat improvements, and a bunch of lovely downgrades. It's a weird mishmash of good things and mostly lovely things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WhKiQF0PL8

Edit: One "good" thing I guess is that most people playing the MP beta are new coaches. So people concede a lot and it's generally pretty easy to win games unless you get diced.

I hope you're going to post this on the BB fourm, because there might be a better chance of them seeing it there?

I'll have to join the The Mr Hadwick Invitational (edit, joined). Err...what are the rules for it?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Comstar posted:

I hope you're going to post this on the BB fourm, because there might be a better chance of them seeing it there?

I'll have to join the The Mr Hadwick Invitational (edit, joined). Err...what are the rules for it?

Someone already posted it on the forums,

MHI has 4 min turns, aging turned off and we allow all teams even if they are not fresh. <-- Those are literally all the options available to a league btw.

• Locked thread