Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i stopped watching it because morty's voice is fingernails on chalkboard bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i stopped watching it because morty's voice is fingernails on chalkboard bad

marty's voice is the perfect balls dropping tween boy with hormones going berzerk stage voice tho

its supposed to be nails on a chalkboard cuz it is IRL too when your voice starts cracking

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Siljmonster posted:

teenieverse

MICROVERSE!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Silver Alicorn posted:

it's nothing like family guy because it has actual jokes

someone was watching family guy during hangover time earlier. this was a "gag":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6s3jxO3eMk

one minute of a 21 minute show.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Sniep posted:

marty's voice is the perfect balls dropping tween boy with hormones going berzerk stage voice tho

its supposed to be nails on a chalkboard cuz it is IRL too when your voice starts cracking

that doesn't make it any more enjoyable

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
if it irritates you i guess then it does but it adds a specific dimension to the character and isnt just in there to be random/annoying.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the show is great because of rick's application of every scifi principle or scenario toward being a dick

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ultramiraculous posted:

someone was watching family guy during hangover time earlier. this was a "gag":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6s3jxO3eMk

one minute of a 21 minute show.

jesus christ

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

big scary monsters posted:

stymie is right, the show's ability to tackle difficult and upsetting themes sensitively, seriously and maturely is part of what makes it such a great cartoon

see? this is what i mean

the scene is unironically a scene of violent sexual assault played for laughs and yospos eagerly defends it because they enjoy child rape apparently

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i dont think it's played for laughs. that scene is upsetting and disturbing, not funny

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

king jellybean gets liquified in the end, which gives me pleasure

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 394 days!
rick and morty, forever, and ever, a hundred years, rick and morty doing stuff

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

big scary monsters posted:

i dont think it's played for laughs. that scene is upsetting and disturbing, not funny

the apologia regarding the scene from the writers makes it painfully clear that it was intended to be funny and instead succeeded in being upsetting and disturbing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
this is a good show

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Stymie posted:

the apologia regarding the scene from the writers makes it painfully clear that it was intended to be funny and instead succeeded in being upsetting and disturbing

what apology? I found this drivel:

quote:

An explanation of the Jellybean bathroom scene by R&M writer, Ryan Ridley. *
I want to clear something up in regards to the controversial Jellybean bathroom scene. Everyone assumes that King Jellybean was attempting to sexually assault Morty by penetrating him with his genitalia which explains why the reactions to it have been so strong. However, King Jellybean has no genitalia. What he was trying to do was force Morty to lick the outer surface of his jellybean body where thousands of nerve endings are concentrated. Yes, he would have derived a tremendous amount of pleasure from it, but so would Morty because of the incredible flavor. King Jellybean had become addicted to the high he received from the enzymes entering his blood stream through alien saliva. Unfortunately, the high for him became weaker and weaker with repeated engagements of the same species, so he was constantly on the look out for new ones. That's why he spent time in places like the Thirsty Stair where a diverse multitude of inter dimensional beings congregated. Morty was his first human, so he was especially aggressive with him. To Jellybean, Morty was more like a big walking crack rock than an object of sexual desire and he was desperate for a hit. Over the years, the repeated inter-species body licking caused the depletion of a key chemical in the jellybean body resulting in a loss of color which is why King Jellybean was that grayish shade instead of a normal colorful jellybean hue. This is similar to what users of MDMA experience with depleted levels of serotonin.

Now, I'm not saying what Jellybean did wasn’t wrong. He was an addict, plain and simple, and his behavior had become increasingly erratic and violent. However, we shouldn't make assumptions based on circumstantial evidence about who he was or the nature of his actions. For example, assuming that King Jellybean was a sexual predator because of his behavior in the bathroom towards Morty, the statue depicting him with a young boy, the box of photographs, etc. I’m sure everyone imagined the worst was in those pictures, but what we don't know is if the things that shock the people of Jellybean's kingdom are the same things that would shock us. Those could have been pictures of celery for all we know and the possession of pictures of celery may be illegal there. It's cultural bias. Jellybean was a good leader who needed a release from the pressures of his position and he lost control. Perhaps fans from the Toronto area can relate.

I hope this explanation helps understand the scene better and makes it less traumatizing to our viewers. Thank you.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ah I found this

quote:

[–]justinroiland 817 points 1 year ago
I can't sleep and I'm reading the comments here and just want to chime in on this. I went out of my way to make sure this scene was not animated in a way that would play for laughs. Dan, Ridley, and I also wrote it to be a serious scene. It had to feel real and be horrific, weighty, and not cartoony. You're supposed to be shocked and absolutely hate this jellybean. Pathos. Poor Morty. He went skateboarding without any padding and a creep shoved him and he fell off and hurt himself. Rick helped bandage him up. The multiverse isn't a safe place. Even Slippery Stair's colorful world.
On a side note, I really do have a lot of empathy for anyone who has had to or is dealing with anything seriously traumatizing. I'm a bleeding heart. But I also can sometimes have this strange disassociation from the reality of horrible things and that often comes out in my art. Sometime I get off on shocking/ making people uncomfortable (see "unbelievable tales" linked here somewhere) but I never intend to actually hurt or anger anyone. And often times if I feel like I just have to make something horrible that might offend a lot of people, I'll donate a bunch of money to an appropriate charity to make up for it.
Blah blah blah. Listen to me go on. I'll offend a bunch of people no matter what I do one way or another. That's just the climate these days. But this scene was handled carefully and it was very important for the episode and the characters.

lol.

we took this non sequitur rape scene in our hilarious wacky science fiction cartoon seriously guys relax

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
bold the good parts please

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Justin Rolland: "I also can sometimes have this strange disassociation from the reality of horrible things"

like wow no poo poo

the molestation poo poo in R&M is apparently dan harmon's thing, though, based on the commentaries.

Mido posted:

this one was pretty clearly a troll.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
stop responding to stymie, idiots

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
lol people actually quoted him

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:cry:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
but the strength of my argument is so great... this time i will convince stymie... this time

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Notice that the nested universes got 'larger' prefixes as you went down? Microverse -> Miniverse -> Teenieverse

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stymie posted:

see? this is what i mean

the scene is unironically a scene of violent sexual assault played for laughs and yospos eagerly defends it because they enjoy child rape apparently

don't forget the episode where a boy asks for a mind-control serum that will allow him to destroy the agency of a girl and coerce her into a sexual relationship

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
rick and morty yesssssssss! i took a sick day last week to catch up on this season (and threw in a few Bojack S1 rewatches too) :unsmith:

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

qntm posted:

both of those get toned down significantly after the pilot although they don't go away completely. give it one more episode and if it still doesn't float your boat you can probably stop

the 2nd episode is so :3:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

don't forget the episode where a boy asks for a mind-control serum that will allow him to destroy the agency of a girl and coerce her into a sexual relationship

there was a moral to that episode.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah that episode was fine

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mido posted:

yeah that episode was hilarious

idiotbitch
Jul 16, 2013
a show that reaches the 12-38 year old market. you could show up to high school lunch hour or your online forum and discuss the latest ep

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just caught the latest (tiny rick), it was a lovely episode in an otherwise awesome season.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

one of rick's catchphrases: "don't quote stymie!"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Stymie posted:

let us know when you get to the ep where morty is violently sexually assaulted

that appears to be a yospos fav

do they actually do that in the show? I've never watched it, so I'm not sure how they could possibly handle that subject in a none creepy way

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

My Linux Rig posted:

do they actually do that in the show? I've never watched it, so I'm not sure how they could possibly handle that subject in a none creepy way

a character pervs on morty and tries to rape morty, morty freaks out and beats the poo poo out of the guy. later in the episode, rick murders the character for being a shithead creep

it's definitely a hosed up scene, but it's not played for laughs

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
maybe I'll just skip that episode

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

My Linux Rig posted:

maybe I'll just skip that episode

it's season 1 episode 5, so skip away

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

My Linux Rig posted:

a character attempts and fails to molest morty in a bathroom. the gag is that it was on an adventure chosen/directed entirely by morty on a bet with rick that his would be fun and less of a disaster. rick decided to come around on the whole deal after complaining the whole time during this, morty comes back and suddenly wants to go home- rick is suspicious and kinda turns the whole adventure around to make morty feel better and succeeds.

rick gleans which character attempted to molest morty right at the end and pops back in to blow their brains out

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you guys are pretty hung up over a scene where a cartoon anthropomorphic candy in an alternate universe is a child molester.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Rick and Morty is good. The show just likes turning on a dime to make the audience uncomfortable or sad. Usually once an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Mido posted:

Mido posted:

ah I found this
lol.

we took this non sequitur rape scene in our hilarious wacky science fiction cartoon seriously guys relax

im not reading all these words about a funny cartoon with a scene that made me feel weird & gross

Fabricated posted:

Rick and Morty is good. The show just likes turning on a dime to make the audience uncomfortable or sad. Usually once an episode.

it is Good to feel Emotions

• Locked thread