Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yeah, we should get hunting together so if fishing ever stops being an option we have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Are Bob and Jacob becoming friends considering they do all their fishing and chatting together, or is Jacob just too toxic?

They cannot stand each other. It seems like two characters with a bad relationship have a greater chance of getting a negative interaction, or it could be the depression that causes it.

Even with their bad relationship, they still catch more fish together than with either of them doing it alone. Once we get the hunting gear, I will split them up and let them work alone.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is there anyone else you can partner Bob up with? I think almost anyone would be better, but then what would you do with Jacob?

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 29 – Axes of evil

We have just enough wood for the hunting gear, but I need to add one to the fire to keep it going. If I have someone gather randomly, we should get some wood and the last piece of rope we need for the hunting gear. Yuri is in good shape, so he will help explore today.

AM Tasks

Illyana – Rest

Jacob & Bob – Fish (Result –

I had to replay this day due to a technical error, and the first time through Jacob & Bob gained a whole ten fish. But I am not going to save-scum just to get a few more meals.

Winters – Harvest fruit (Result – 6x fruit)

Al & Julia – Gather randomly (Result – 6x wood, 4x rope, 4x stone, 1x herb)

Alice & Yuri – Explore (Result – 79% explored)

PM Tasks

Julia - Rest

Jacob & Bob - Chat

Al & Julia – Craft the hunting gear (Result – 24% complete)

Illyana – Research (Result – 12%)

Yuri – Cook (Result – 5x fish become 3x tasty meals, 2x regular meals)

Alice – Explore (Result – leveled up and found an ax)

I have no idea what we can use a second ax for. There is no way to lose your gathering tools, so you cannot make a new one. You cannot use it in the inventory, so it will just sit there like all those useless skulls.

Night

Alice seems to make a much better mother than Julia does. Maybe she and Julia can come to some sort of shared custody arrangement.

Current Status:

Still doing fine on the hazard front. If our bowcrafters get too fatigued, we can just give them some of our ginseng stock to keep them going.

Current Goals:

Two more days of work and we should be good to go on the hunting gear. It will probably get done in the morning, which is a shame since hunting that afternoon would let the meat spoil overnight before we can cook it.

Current Jobs-
Scavenge the Plane (1 person max)
Harvesting fruit (2 people max)
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Scavenging Wood/Rope/Stone/Herbs (2 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)
Cook (1 person max)

Current Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Psychology magazine (+5 Discussion)
Fishing Bait (+5 Fishing)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
Coffee (-10% Fatigue & Depression)
2x Medicinal Herbs (-3% Sickness)
1x Painkillers (-20% Injury)
Chocolate (-20% Depression)
2x Ancient Knowledge (+1 to all Skills)
Miracle Potion (-10% to all Hazards)
101 Sudoku (+5 Intelligence)
1x First Aid Mag. (+5 Medicine)
Empty Bottle
4x Ginseng Juice (-20% Fatigue)
3x Drugs – Cures sickness, but cannot use without the proper tech
Smelly Cheese (-20% Hunger, + 10% Sickness)
3x Bandage - Cures injury, but cannot use without the proper tech
2x Rum (+/-10% Hunger, Sickness, & Depression)
8x Soy Sprouts (decrease hunger from 1-5%)
3x Dried Meals (decrease hunger from 10-15%)
Healing Water (-20% sickness)
1x Cursed Fiance Ring (-20% Fatigue, + 10% Depression)
Fire crystal (-20% to all negative states)
1x Decoy (+5 Hunting)
3x Skull (???)
4x Happy mushrooms (-20% depression, +10% sickness)
1x Binoculars (+5 Exploration)
Camouflage Cloak (+5 stealth)
Misc crafting materials

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I smiled when I saw you had Al & Julia teaming up for the whole day. I imagine he was being really effective and not understanding her advances while she spent her time grinding against him and speaking exclusively in innuendo.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 30 – A heavy cross to bear

Alice has nearly maxed out her exploration, so I put 7 points into her constitution. The standard two wood and two fruit replenish our fire and water supply.

AM Tasks

Yuri – Rest

Al & Winters – Craft the hunting gear (Result – 50% complete)

Illyana – Research (Result – 28%)

Perfect! One for everyone.

Alice & Julia – Explore (Result – found two monkeys and a cross)

I was not expecting that. We seem to have a couple of ways to deal with this situation, so I will let you guys choose our course of action.

I want to get the hunting gear done, so I give ginseng juices to Al & Winters to keep their fatigue down and keep them crafting.

PM Tasks

Julia & Alice - Rest

Jacob & Bob – Chat

Al & Julia – Craft the hunting gear (Result – 73% complete)

Illyana – Research (Result – 36%)

Yuri – Cook (Result – 8x fish become 8x tasty meals)

Night

Another Illyana event. I am not sure why she is getting so many events, especially since she spends the whole day researching alone.

Current Status:

We have half the island explored, and our stats are all looking good. Now we can start to focus on the prophesy.

Current Goals:

One more day should finish up the hunting gear, and then we can start gathering supplies for the infirmary.

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)
Cook (1 person max)

Current Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
Empty Bottle
2x Ginseng Juice (-20% Fatigue)
1x Decoy (+5 Hunting)
3x Skull (???)
Misc crafting materials

Delvio fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 18, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Pray with the monkeys. I'm sure the Bible has nothing to say against that and the monkeys won't be weird about it.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
The two other options will destroy the scene, so do praying before either of the other two.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Update – There has been an update

The game just had a major update, so I wanted to let you guys see what will be changing next episode:

CHANGELOG 1.1

The game is now playable on MAC!

LANGUAGES:

The game is now playable in German and Russian!

English proofread and corrected (Big mega thx to Hubaloo2!)

Some small fixes

NEW FEATURES:

50 new dialogs, mostly for the endgame (day 40+)

Cook Fish & Meat at your campfire! You can now cook without the cooking pot, right from the start, at the expense of fire intensity. (click on the campfire to get the option)

Exploration now carry over the next area, so you don’t lose anymore the extra points. You can even explore several tiles at a time.

Camp stations’ condition now degrades over time! You must repair them from time to time, using resources.

Click on a camp station to “check condition” and repair it.

The station condition is indicated in the HUD by a percentage bar. BEWARE, the percentage indicates a flat multiplier on the efficiency of the station, so it’s rather important.

For example, if the fruit basket would give you 2 to 5 fruits, with its condition at 80% you will get only 1.6 to 4 fruits (80% of the 2 to 5).

The more you use a station, the more it deteriorates. The deterioration value increases over time too.

“Effects of time”: now, the longer you stay on the island, the harder it gets to do some actions:

Some camp stations give less resources.

The negative effects on states become higher. (it gets more tiring to explore the other end of the map)

The characters start getting a bit of depression overnight too.

The effects are not so visible until the very late game (at start, your characters becoming better at doing things compensate the effects of time)

Easy mode: the game getting a bit more challenging, we added an easy mode that you can activate at any time in the options menu. It just decreases the negative states increases, but doesn’t touch to anything else, so you can enjoy the game as it is.

BALANCING:

Completely reworked the balancing

The game should be a bit harder around day 10

And keep being challenging for a longer time until the end

Stealth skillchecks reworked: now they get harder over time, so that a character with 100 Stealth won’t get a 100% chance to avoid monsters anymore

There are also caps: you can’t get lower than 10%, and higher than 90% chances.

Some objects in the jungle have been tweaked: no more infinite uses, and generally less uses of specific actions (but better rewards)

Using the Talk action at the firecamp has a better chance of giving positive opinions between characters.

Don’t forget: depressed characters now have more chances to get negative opinions.

BUG FIXES & OTHER:

A dialog won’t trigger anymore if one character that is mentioned in it is dead.

Added some additional steps to camera panning with arrow keys in the camp.

Don’t forget, you can use arrows and keyboard shortcuts to navigate the game, it makes your life really easier than always drag’n’dropping characters around.

You can also right-click instead of dragging.

And you can use arrows to switch between characters in the Use Item menu and Character Sheet.

Various small fixes.

Corrected a visual bug where you could get the impression that Injury got lower after a monster fight (because the action result decreased your injury more than the fight’s increase)

Improved camp HUD: it now shows more State bars for characters at a station (not only the ones which will increase, but also the ones that will decrease)

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 31 – On the hunt

The game has been updated since last time, but most of the changes are behind the hood. The big one for us is the degradation of our stations. Here is what you can see by clicking on the stations:

All of ours start off at 100% condition, but we will need to maintain them later on to keep them in shape.

We wanted to see if we could pray with the monkies, so let's see what we get:

And we get nothing. Not even a depression reduction. I blame the soviet atheism at work here.

AM Tasks

Illyana – Rest

Al & Yuri – Craft the hunting gear (Result – 97% complete)

Good enough. Neither of them has much depression, so I will have them fish again in the afternoon.

Alice, Winters, & Julia – Explore (Result – Found an enormous marble hand and 47% complete on the next zone)

One of the other changes is in exploration. Now we can finish one location and start exploring the next in the same time period. Because of this, we can now explore with a large group and find new areas much quicker. Today, we find this weird hand and are already halfway to the next area.

Julia and Yuri leveled up in the AM, so I give Julia six constitution and six discussion, while Yuri only gets six discussion.

PM Tasks

Good, but roughly half will rot away before we can cook them tomorrow.

Al – Finish crafting the hunting gear

Now that we have this, we can have Bob and Jacob split up and work alone for a change. Hunting is a bit more consistent in supplying food, but it causes a small amount of injury each time you do it, and injury is the hardest malus to cure.

Illyana – Research (Result – 52%)

Yuri – Cook (Result – 6x fish become 6x tasty meals)

Alice, Winters, & Julia – Explore (Result – found a wooden crate and 89% complete on the next zone)

Not a major find, but we might find something good inside. The day is getting late so we will investigate it tomorrow.

Night

The plot thickens. Now that we know that Julia is interested in every man that she is not married to, we need to decide if we want to help her on her mission. If we want to, we can pair her up with one of these guys when they are working, and see if she can get closer to her target.

Current Status:

I am not sure where Yuri got that sickness from. He must have gotten a point or two a few days ago, and then it just multiplied on its own. Today he managed to contaminate Illyana and give her a few points, so it looks like I will need to pick a few more herbs to deal with it.

Current Goals:

We want to start making the infirmary, but we also have some choices about various things. We have some options to try with the hand, and we need to decide if we want to let Julia get closer to any of her targets.

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)
Cook (1 person max)

Current Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
Empty Bottle
1x Decoy (+5 Hunting)
3x Skull (???)
Misc crafting materials

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
...So Julia is a spy? No wonder she is so good at stealth.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
:psyduck: This just raises more questions.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I'd be okay with pairing her up with Jacob or Bob. Preferably Jacob. They're both pretty insufferable, and Bob isn't even that useful.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Yeah, nobody will miss Jacob, and even if it's Bob he's no Alejandro. Though I suspect that if both men get investigated and found not to be the spy Julia assumes the man left over is her mark and just goes ahead and kills him without bothering to investigate more fully. Look at Jacob but hold off on doing Bob next until we're a bit farther along in the whole getting off the island thing. Also we should sit on the palm and see what that does, hopefully with more success than monkey prayer.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I agree that we should sit on the palm, search the box, and always try white options before red. Pair Julia up with Jacob first. Keep praying until your knees bleed, there has to be some kind of reward/punishment for it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think Julia might just be losing it, you guys.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 32 - Hunting for spies

We have a couple of level-ups from yesterday to deal with, so we do the following:
Winters – She gets 11 exploration, and I give her a pair of binoculars to give her a +5 to her exploration skill so that she can help out Alice better.
Illyana – She gets 8 constitution to help her fatigue, and 6 knowledge to help her research.

Next, we send Julia out to mess around with all the neat junk we've been finding around the island. First, let's see whats up with that huge hand.

Well, she lost some fatigue and depression, but gained some injury. Not a very good deal, since injury is a lot harder to deal with.

Let's see if we can pray away those nasty injuries

Once again we get no response from the man upstairs. It seems like we will require more than faith healing for our various medical maladies.

Maybe there are some medical supplies we can use in that crate that washed ashore.

We get 1x coffee, 1x spices, 2x med plant. Spiced coffee might not cure a sunburn, but it will definitely help us get through the morning. Plus those herbs will help Yuri with that mystery bug he has.

AM Tasks

Al & Yuri – Rest

Illyana – Research (Result – 65%)

Bob – he can finally have some peace and quiet while he fishes (Result –

A decent haul, especially by himself.

Jacob & Julia – Julia seems interested in Jacob, so lets give them some dangerous weapons and send them off hunting, far away from any witnesses (Result –

Both manage to avoid any fatal “hunting accidents”, but they do get a bit of fatigue and injury.

Alice & Winters – Explore (Result – found a trap)

I am not sure what we can use for bait, but I guess we could give it a shot tomorrow.

Before the afternoon session, I give Yuri the spices we just found to boost his cooking, and 3x medicinal plants to get rid of that lingering sickness. I also give Illyana an herb to clear out the sniffles she caught last night. Julia gets the decoy we have been saving to boost her hunting so that she can better hunt Jacob hunt with Jacob.

PM Tasks

Illyana – Research (Result – 75%)

Yuri – Cook (Result – 6x meat and 6x fish become 6x tasty meals and 6x regular meals, with one fish uncooked)

Everyone else – Our depression is getting a bit high, so the afternoon will be a chat session.

This is definitely great. Al is good at crafting, harvesting fruit, and scavenging, so this will allow him to do all of that without breaking a sweat.

Night

Instead of a thrilling spy adventure, we get therapy and a fortune cookie. Maybe a couple more days of of Jacob and Julia hunting the most dangerous game and we might have something to talk about.

Current Status:

With all the food today, we finally have full stomachs for the first time in over a month.

Our sickness is gone, and our skills are up thanks to all the items that we gave away.

Current Goals:

We still need to find “Artie” to get the next piece of the prophecy, and we also need materials for the infirmary.

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)
Hunting (2 people max)
Cook (1 person max)

Current Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
1x Coffee (-10% Fatigue & Depression)
1x Medicinal Herbs (-3% Sickness)
Empty Bottle
Decoy (+5 Hunting)
3x Skull (???)
Binoculars (+5 Exploration)
Misc crafting materials

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 33 - Reruns

We found a trap yesterday, so lets see if we can catch anything.

It seems like we need something to bait the trap with, so it looks like we will need to hold off on trapping till later.

AM Tasks

Winter & Yuri – Chat

Illyana – Research (Result – 87% complete)

Bob – Fish (Result – 2x fish)

This is a poor showing, so we will try to use some of it for baiting the trap we found.

Al – Gather wood (gained 4x wood and leveled up)

Al is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, so I give him 4 constitution, 3 scavenging, 3 crafting so that he is a bit better at everything.

Alice , Jacob, & Julia – Explore (Result – found seaweed, fish, and a treasure chest)

Same seaweed as before. Maybe this time we can see if it is edible.

Same fish as before. We can use it to decrease our depression, fish, or search it out. Although I really should go back and check to see how the update changed the old fishing spot we found a while back.

Same chest as before. How dull. Treasure chests are cool and all, but once you have seen catholic monkeys, you tend to get a bit jaded.

We have a couple of fish now, so we might be able to bait the trap now.

Nope. I guess it needs to be something else.

I want to keep our hunger to a minimum, so let's see if we can hunt something in the jungle.

Remember this little guy?

Only Jacob is heartless enough to take down this little fellow.

And it looks like Jacom managed to outfox this fox.

He sure was a plump little guy. This will make sure that most of our crew is fully fed tonight.

PM Tasks

Julia - Rest

Illyana – Research (Result – 99% complete)

So close. Illyana is getting a bit tired, so she might want to rest up and let someone else finish up the last 1%.

Yuri – Cook (Result – 2x fish and 5x meat become 6x tasty meals, 1x regular meal)

Al & Winters – Gather wood (Result – gained 11x wood)

Alice, Bob, Jacob – Explore (98% complete)

I guess it took more time because they were trying to explore a more difficult location this time. Well, we have plenty of other places to explore tomorrow, so this is not a problem.

Night

Crud. The only healing item we have is one herb. The drugs we found can cure sickness, but we need to complete the infirmary before we can use them. I guess I will need to have people gather some herbs tomorrow before the sickness starts to spread.

Current Status:

Aside from the sickness, we also need to watch out for Jacob and Julia's injuries. We still have some painkillers, and there is the strange fountain out in the jungle, but those are both limited use.

Current Goals:

We need quite a bit of stuff for the infirmary, and we also have a few options with all the stuff we found on the beach. If you guys have any options you want to see then just let me know.

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)
Hunting (2 people max)
Cook (1 person max)

Current Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
Empty Bottle
Decoy (+5 Hunting)
3x Skull (???)
Misc crafting materials

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Dang, sounds like we really need the infirmary. Also uhh c'mon now how is it ever an option to not play fake pirate.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why not just throw the dice and give the kid Rum?

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 34 – Rum, pirates, and one wild woman

To deal with our new sickness problem, we turn to the medicinal power of alcohol. We have two bottles of rum, with a chance of +-10% of hunger, sickness, and depression. We can deal with hunger and depression easily, so it looks like we are going to cure Illyana by having her down two bottles of alcohol right after she wakes up this morning.

Bottoms up!

Ok, she downed the first bottle without much effect, but I bet she starts feeling it after the next one.

It looks like she inherited Yuri's capacity for alcohol. Two whole bottles of rum and the only negative is that she is a little bit peckish.

Let's see if Julia has as good of a time playing pirate with the chest we found yesterday.

This trip is off to a bad start.

Maybe we can find some painkillers in the chest.

Not the painkiller I was talking about, but it will do. Pirate's Grog decreases injury by 20% and increases hunger by 10%. These will be perfect for fixing up Julia and Jacob after hunting.

Now that we have grog, we are now fully prepared to play pirate.

Julia is cheered up by this and loses a good chunk of her depression.

AM Tasks

Illyana – Rest

Winters – Research (Result – discovered drugs)

We have found some of these lying around in the jungle before. We could use them to cure Illyana's sickness, but we would need to finish the infirmary first. They are easy enough to create, and from renewable herbs, but we should have enough drugs without needing to make anymore.

Jacob & Julia – Hunt (Result – 10x meat, and Jacob levels up)

Al & Yuri – Gather randomly (gained 6x wood, 5x rope, 4x herbs)

Alice & Bob – Explore (Result – found drying clothes and a daring wild woman)

Another repeat. We can swipe the clothes, or salvage them for materials. But maybe we should look for their owner?

Maybe this is her. Let's get a closer look.

Unfortunately, it looks like her pets are a bit overprotective.

I suppose it would be safer to talk to her from a distance. Let's just give her the other egg and get out of here.

I don't think that Julia is the best choice for a contest of strength. In fact, the only one on the island weaker than her is Illyana. I think this is a chance for Yuri to show his stuff.

Ok, we will just consider that a warm-up. On to round 2!

I hope she is talking about the sleeping lion that we found before. It would suck if we had to search every narcoleptic feline on this island.

Well, we had better start with the first one. Or is this the eleventh one? I hope there aren't ten more out there.

We are definitly going with the stealthy option here.

She could put her hunting skills to good use, but it is a bit risky. Plus, who could resist such a big old kitty cat. I think we will call him Elevenses.

It looks like Elevenses likes tummy rubs. We could reach into a lion's slimy mouth filled with dozens of pointy teeth, but I think that petting him seems to be a much more plesant option.

It looks like slacking off and playing with cats is the way to sucess in life. Hopefully Artie is ok with our pacifist run.

It seems she is cool with it. I am starting to get curious about all these weirdos, so I think we should ask about her tribe.

Not a lot of info, but we did get another fire crystal.

PM Tasks

Julia, Alice, Jacob – Rest

Illyana – Research (Result – 7% completed)

Yuri – Cook (Result – 10x meat become 1x tasty meals, 8x regular meal, 1x barely edible meal)

Al & Winters – Gather wood (Result – gained 7x wood)

Bob – Explore (38% complete)

Night

I guess if Julia has her choice, I suppose going after Al is a lot more better than pursuing Jacob.

Current Status:

Our skills are up, and our hunger and sickness are nearly gone. We have a bit of depression and fatigue, but those are easy to manage. The real sticking point is the injuries that Julia and Jacob have been getting, but with the grog we found, we should be able to endure it for a while.

I am not sure how anyone could swallow this thing, but it is ours now.

Current Goals:

We still need to collect a lot of materials for our infirmary, but we may be able to get some from jungle events.

Pollo is in the northeast, so we might be able to find him soon if we are lucky in our explorations.

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)
Hunting (2 people max)
Cook (1 person max)

Current Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
Empty Bottle
1x Fire crystal (-20% to all negative states)[/s]
3x Pirate Grog (-20% injury, +10% hunger)
Decoy (+5 Hunting)
3x Skull (???)
Misc crafting materials

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, that injury treating station looks more and more useful.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh, so that's what's going on here. Pretty sure Gilligan never bumbled across a group of immortal exiles, though.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 35 – All downhill from here

I haven't been reporting all of the fruit I have been juicing and wood I have been burning for routine upkeep. We are out of fruit, and we are starting to run low on water, so I will need to send someone to start harvesting again. We have been gathering wood for the infirmary, so we have plenty to feed the fire.

AM Tasks

Al, Yuri, & Illyana – Rest

Jacob & Bob – Depression is easier to cure than injuries, and we are doing fine on hunger, so we will fish instead of hunt today (Result – 3x fish)

Winters – Harvest fruit (Result - 3x)

Alice & Julia – Explore (Result – found a stone cairn)

It looks like we can search the cairn without destroying it, so we will do that first.

It looks like this is a knowledge check, so Illyana is our girl for this. Thankfully, she also has a pretty decent stealth skill, so she has a good chance of avoiding any monster attacks.

And she manages to sneak on by. It looks like stepmom Julia is rubbing off on her.

Unfortunately, it looks like she picked up on more than stealth from Julia. It seems like she is also becoming a bone collector as well. We may come back later to scavenge or offer plants, but I am not sure why we would want to mark our territory here.

PM Tasks

Bob & Jacob – Chat

Illyana – Research (Result – 15% completed)

Yuri – Cook (Result – 3x fish become 3x tasty meals)

Al & Winters – Harvest fruit (Result – 5x fruit)

Alice & Julia – Explore (Result – found a marble chest)

There is only one option here, so we might as well open our Christmas present a little bit early.

And it pays off. We get two of the best healing items in the game out of it. These will probably be saved for Julia and Jacob in case their injuries get too bad from hunting.

Night

It looks like Illyana has also began copying Julia's sharp tongue. She did have quite a bit of fun doing it though.

Current Status:

We are still good on hunger, but we may need to have another chat session to bring down the depression that is creeping over the camp. We will also need to keep an eye on Jacob and Julia's injuries to make sure they do not get too bad.

Current Goals:

We need to find Pollo, and also get the infirmary tent made. We have enough water to last for a while, so Al and Winters can go back to collecting materials for the construction.

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)
Hunting (2 people max)
Cook (1 person max)

Current Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
Empty Bottle
3x Fire crystal (-20% to all negative states)
Decoy (+5 Hunting)
4x Skull (???)
Misc crafting materials

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
You know, we've spent so much time talking with immortal blue-skinned people and puzzling out mythological feats like retrieving a carved horn from a lion's stomach that finding an ancient gravesite and a giant ivory chest with two of the better consumables in the game almost seems distressingly normal by comparison.

I'm also still amused that the infirmary takes so goddamned much material; it seems useful, but unless there's some pretty serious endurance challenges coming up, it almost feels like one could just soldier on without it and save the trouble.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wait...
Hanged man...
Lion...
Two eggs, fit for a king...
These some Tarot Card references!
The Hanged Man card is 12 in the deck. XII is 12, and was sewn on the Hanged Man's shirt.
The Strength card features a lion, and is 11th in the deck. XI =11.
3 and 4 are the Emperor and Empress respectively. "Fit for a King", anyone? III = 3, IV = 4.
The monkey cross had a V on it. V = 5. The fifth card is the Heirophant, which is a kind of priest.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is moving base camp a mechanic in this game? It seems like you'd want to relocate deeper inland now that you're exploring farther away.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

Glazius posted:

Is moving base camp a mechanic in this game? It seems like you'd want to relocate deeper inland now that you're exploring farther away.

You are stuck with the starting camp location, but the explorations do not get that much harder. Even a location on the other side of the island will only take a half a day or so for a good exploration team.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Yeah, you mentioned a patch note that claimed the game was tweaked to be much harder post-day 10, have you felt that at all or have the foundations you built pre-update kept things smooth?

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 36 – Pollo loco

tomanton posted:

Yeah, you mentioned a patch note that claimed the game was tweaked to be much harder post-day 10, have you felt that at all or have the foundations you built pre-update kept things smooth?

The main impact of the updates seems to be the degrading structures, which we will deal with today. With enough water to last for a while, we can start back up with other things. I am not sure if we will pursue the infirmary or just save our materials, but we will continue collecting materials for the time being.

AM Tasks

Winters & Julia – Rest

Illyana – Research (Result – 25% completed)

Jacob & Bob – Fish (Result – 6x fish)

Al & Yuri – Scavenge wood (Result - 7x wood)

Alice – Explore (Result – Found an ancient column)

We only have one option, so we might as well have Julia take it.

Are rocks that scarce on the island that we need to travel halfway across the island and destroy ancient ruins for a single one? Or is Julia just that bad of a scavenger?

We might as well put that rock to good use, and start to repair some of our degraded workstations. Our stations are degraded enough that it is getting harder to perform tasks, plus we will not be wasting any of the repair materials by trying to go over 100%.

That fixed it up well. Hopefully the rest of the repairs go as smoothly.

Not too bad. We might need to repair this after we get the materials for the infirmary.

Somehow we only got 4% repaired. We only have one research project left, so it does not really matter if it gets degraded, so I will leave it as-is.

I may repair this again tomorrow, but it will do for now.

PM Tasks

Bob & Jacob – Chat

Illyana – Research (Result – 36% completed)

Al & Winters – Scavenge wood (Result – 6x wood)

Alice & Julia – Explore (Result – Found a good looking blue guy)

I guess this is Pollo. First we had better search him.

Sweet! (pun intended) This will help out with our depression issues. Now let's see what he has to say.

I am pretty sure he was supposed to know about the prophesy, so we we should definitely ask him about it.

Another fetch quest. At least this time it should be close by.

Night

Why on earth did these two get hitched in the first place?

Current Status:

Depression is a little high, and Julia/Jacob may want to avoid hunting too much to keep those injuries down.

Skills are looking good. I may switch Winters over to assist in exploration since her skill is so high.

Al is getting pretty close to Julia, so I may have her assist him in scavenging for materials.

Illyana has average ratings with most people, so she can assist any of them when she finishes this last research project.

I have no idea why he hates Illyana so much, but he may be able to help explore with Alice.

She likes most people, but she really fits in with Alice and Al. She will contine to assist them in exploring and scavenging.

He has pretty good opinions of everyone, but he mostly cooks, which is a one person job.

She will probably stick with helping scavenging or hunting, since she is one of the few people who likes/tolerates Jacob.

Too bad he does not get along with Jacob, otherwise the fishing trips would go a lot better.

Alice loves most everybody, so anyone should be able to help her explore the rest of the island.

Current Goals:

We have most of the wood we need for the infirmary, so we may start gathering rope and stone.

We need to find a Golden Apple, but it should be fairly close to where we found Pollo (the red exclamation mark).

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)
Hunting (2 people max)
Cook (1 person max)

Current Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
3x Chocolate (-20% Depression)
Empty Bottle
Decoy (+5 Hunting)
4x Skull (???)
Misc crafting materials

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Ah, the golden apple. As I recall, three people/gods fought for that, but right now we've only met one person looking for it.

e: Not in this game of course, the Greek myth.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 37 – Day of rest

People are starting to get a bit depressed, so this morning will be mostly R&R. First we will need to make their beds. Quite literally in this case.

It took quite a bit of wood, but it looks like we are ready to rest.

AM Tasks

Illyana & Julia – Rest

Al, Yuri, Alice, Winters – Chat

Sigh. I guess that means that you two are going out on an adventure today.

This looks like a good fishing spot. Nice and sunny, plenty of rocks to sit on, and relatively few monsters.

I did say “relatively few” monsters, and not “monster free”.

Thankfully, Bob has a lot of built in padding, so he is not too badly hurt.

He does manage to get a good haul after scaring off the local wildlife, so he has earned an afternoon break.

PM Tasks

Bob & Jacob – Chat

Illyana – Research (Result – 42% completed)

Winters – Gather fruit (Result – 3x fruit)

Al – Scavenge wood (Result – 5x wood)

Alice & Julia – Explore (Result – found a hollow tree)

I think the last hollow tree only had a skull in it, so hopefully this one will have something better.

I guess that is better than just the skull, although not by a whole lot.

Night

It looks like Al and Alice both enjoyed that session of meddling. I feel like Winters would not have been so pleased with Alice if she were on the receiving end.

Current Status:

Depression is down, but we still need to keep an eye on our injuries.

Current Goals:

Right now, we will focus on finding that golden apple, and we will possible go back and ransack the different jungle sites for materials for the infirmary.

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)
Hunting (2 people max)
Cook (1 person max)

Current Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
Empty Bottle
10x Soy Sprouts (decrease hunger from 1-5%)
Decoy (+5 Hunting)
4x Skull (???)
Misc crafting materials

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Given how aggressively snarky and stand-offish both Julia and Jacob are, I guess it's not a surprise the game has them being close to each other and almost no one else.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Bob really shouldn't have very much padding left by this point. I understand it would be too much work to draw everyone differently as time went on though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess this degradation is something to worry about, but it doesn't seem to have put a very big dent in supplies. Though I bet you have to do more gathering in the late game to do upkeep.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 38 – An apple a day

Not much to talk about this morning. A few pieces of wood go onto the fire, and then it is off to work.

AM Tasks

Yuri– Rest

Illyana – Research (Result – 51% completed)

Al & Winters – Scavenge wood (Result – 7x wood)

Excellent! No need to feed one of you to the monsters today.

Alice & Julia – Explore (Result – found an apple tree)

This looks too easy. Let's see what characteristics are highlighted on the character select screen.

Illyana has a better agility than Julia, but is worse in stealth and fighting. I think we will stick with Julia, since she has more experience in the jungle.

Not a difficult choice to make.

Onward and upward.

How tall is this tree exactly? Maybe Julia is just afraid of heights.

Let's take the suggestion and hightail it to Pollo.

Since Julia got the apple, it is only fair to let her deliver it.

We are already pretty far east, so we may be able to find Athena pretty soon. Who wants to bet if she has a fetch quest for us as well.

PM Tasks

Al, Alice, & Julia - Rest

Bob & Jacob – Chat

Illyana – Research (Result – 60% completed)

Winters – Scavenge stone (Result – 1x stone)

Night

Maybe Yuri's comments make more sense in Russian, because I have no clue what he is talking about here.

Current Status:

Still pretty much the same as yesterday. It is hard to keep Alice's hunger down due to her bulimia trait, but we are managing due to Yuri cooking up all our food for us in the afternoon.

Current Goals:

With feeding the fire and repairing the camp, we are still pretty far from the infirmary. It looks like we will need to scavenge the jungle events to gather the materials we need. While Julia is the best for the Jungle events, she is currently helping Alice with exploring, so we can either play it slow and safe and build the infirmary, or we can blitz through the jungle and hope we do not get too injured while doing so.

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)
Hunting (2 people max)
Cook (1 person max)

Current Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
Empty Bottle
Decoy (+5 Hunting)
4x Skull (???)
Misc crafting materials

Delvio fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 15, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think Yuri just tossed off a Dad Proverb, kind of desperately, and hoped it would stick.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
To be fair, that is literally what being a dad is like.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
Day 39 – Don't go chasing waterfalls

I check our stations, and the library and gathering tools are getting worn down. I spend 2 rope on the gathering station to get it back in shape, but Illyana is so close to discovering the final research item that it is not worth it.

AM Tasks

Winters & Yuri – Chat

Illyana – Research (Result – 68% completed)

Al – Scavenge randomly (Result – 3x wood, 1 rope, 1 herb)

That should be enough to tide us over for today.

Alice & Julia – I want to find Athena ASAP, so I send them to explore a new patch in the east, instead of the partially explored central beach location (Result – 64% explored)

PM Tasks

Illyana – Research (Result – 78% completed)

Jacob & Bob – Fish (Result – 5x fish)

I didn't actually mean for them to go fishing, but I forgot to move them to a different station (and also forgot the screenshot). It did work out well though, so we will have a head-start on tomorrow's dinner.

Al & Winters – Scavenge wood (Result – 10x wood)

Alice & Julia – Explore (Result – found a waterfall)

It seems to be a bit oddly-colored, but Julia has probably worked up a thirst with all that exploring.

It shows quite a few different maluses on the character select screen, so hopefully this will reduce her injury stat.

I do not get any messages after this, so I do not know if anything actually changed with Julia.

Since nothing bad seems to happened to her, lets gather some up and take it back to the others.

Ten units of water is roughly three fruits worth, so this does save us a bit of gathering time.

Night

That seems rather ominous. Hopefully nothing comes of this.

Current Status:

I don't see any real change on Julia's stats, so I guess the waterfall was either just flavor text, or it tried to reduce her sickness (which has been at zero for quite some time).

Current Goals:

We have finally gotten enough wood for the infirmary, so now we just need to get the stone and rope before all of it gets used up in the fire.

We also have access to quite a few jungle spots spots on the eastern side of the island, so we have plenty of prime Athena hunting spots to choose from.

Current Jobs-
Craft (2 people max)
Research (2 people max)
Rest (3 people max)
Chat (no max)
Explore (3 people max)
Fishing (2 people max)
Hunting (2 people max)
Cook (1 person max)

Current Items-
Toolbox (+5 Crafting)
Spices (+5 Cooking)
Empty Bottle
Decoy (+5 Hunting)
4x Skull (???)
Misc crafting materials

Delvio fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I wonder at the things these events hint at, like, will russian lady try to kill the 3 men? Will the lunatic go after the girl?

• Locked thread