Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
So how is Corbyn perceived in the UK generally? Obviously a legitimate grassroots movement got him in and after Milliband's complete nothing burger on austerity he's kind of a logical step, and obviously David Cameron and Tony Blair think he'll destroy Labour/the country (don't care), but from all of this I've yet to get a sense of how popular he is with general public (like a favorability rating, or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatninja187
Oct 4, 2013

Beware the ninja

Benny Harvey posted:

Cameron is even more of a oval office anyway,

Didn't think it was possible but by god he tries his best

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I'd like him a lot more if he just admitted the IRA are terrorists also.

In America the IRA are considered terrorists.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The worst thing about the IRA is how they botched their hit attempt on Thatcher

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Can't wait for Labor to read the writing on the wall and to start actively recruiting fringe islamists in order to keep their party afloat.

Finally they will be considered terrorists.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

The Taint Reaper posted:

Why do they call it the Labor Party? It's false advertising because they do anything but actual labor.

they labor to uphold the rights of people who labor so actually it should probably be called the laborers laboring for laborers party

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
leaving nato would be extremely super loving dumb

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

The Landstander posted:

So how is Corbyn perceived in the UK generally? Obviously a legitimate grassroots movement got him in and after Milliband's complete nothing burger on austerity he's kind of a logical step, and obviously David Cameron and Tony Blair think he'll destroy Labour/the country (don't care), but from all of this I've yet to get a sense of how popular he is with general public (like a favorability rating, or something).

In the run-up weeks 100,000 people joined the Labour party (ie payed membership) just so they could elect Corbyn

In the 24 hrs since he was voted in, 20,000 people have joined as well.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
corbyn and bernie sittin in a tree
s o c i a l i s m

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

gender illusionist posted:

leaving nato would be extremely super loving dumb

invade NATO countries and liberate their people from the yoke of the fortune 500 imo

fatninja187
Oct 4, 2013

Beware the ninja

SirEvelynTremble posted:

In the run-up weeks 100,000 people joined the Labour party (ie payed membership) just so they could elect Corbyn

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/26/labour-leadership-election-party-to-check-voting-history-of-new-supporters

Obviously these people were voting wrong and their votes should be discounted!

I mean its obviously a conservative plot, no way would people vote for a left wing politician right?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

New Labour is dead. Full communism now.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
New Labour is dead, long live Old Labour!

Thank Christ, now if he'll only quit with the pro-Russia stuff, but I suspect that disappear before the next election, right? He's got time

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Blair : oh god this guy wants to set us back 35 years in progress

*supports new cold war with russia

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

prinneh posted:

New Labour is dead, long live Old Labour!

Thank Christ, now if he'll only quit with the pro-Russia stuff, but I suspect that disappear before the next election, right? He's got time

Literally everybody in the UK who didn't vote for him hates him, he won't make it to 2020.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Constant Hamprince posted:

Literally everybody in the UK who didn't vote for him hates him, he won't make it to 2020.

36% didn't vote in the general election, mainly bc there was no party worth voting for. Now that displaced 36% jave someone interesting to vote for

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

SirEvelynTremble posted:

36% didn't vote in the general election, mainly bc there was no party worth voting for. Now that displaced 36% jave someone interesting to vote for

This is what Corbyn supporters actually believe.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Landstander posted:

I genuinely have no loving clue because I live in a London bubble where everyone I meet loves him but the papers and establishment absolutely despise him.

the comments under every article about him are a clean split between messiah and commie scum.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 13, 2015

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
i voted for him and he seems cool, but i'd give it a year or two alongside some volunteering of my own before passing judgement, hth

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

SirEvelynTremble posted:

Well yeah, it seems like a common theme is that Corbyn will reignite enthusiasm and bring the disengaged back into the fold. This is usually a risky gamble, but after Milliband it makes enough sense to try - and the enthusiasm does appear to be a real thing. Also worth noting that this is one of Bernie Sanders' pitch lines, as well.

...but I'm still kinda confused as to how he's viewed amongst the whole population, though. Maybe that won't be relevant until a few months into being the opposition leader. I did find that at least some of his positions which the establishment would probably consider wacky are actually kind of popular. v0v

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Corbyn actually does well across the board having secured higher support statistics than the other 3 candidates in polls conducted among self-identified UKIP, Green and Lib Dem voters. Only Tory voters rated Burham higher overall. Also if you dont realise that the vast majority of that non-voting part of the population is left-leaning then you've really got to get your head out your rear end.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Makes more sense than trying to attract Tory voters by being another Tory party.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
corbyn and bernie gonna form a political superfriends

fatninja187
Oct 4, 2013

Beware the ninja

Moridin920 posted:

corbyn and bernie gonna form a political superfriends

And usher in a star trek style communist utopia

Sure a few rich old white guys might have to die but it will be totally worth it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fatninja187 posted:

Sure a few rich old white guys might have to die but it will be totally worth it

even if some good ones die gently caress it the lord'll sort em

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

fatninja187 posted:

lol yeah corbyn and bernie sure gonna do something about those old white dudes

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

lol yeah corbyn and bernie sure gonna do something about those old white dudes

they are race traitors imo, both of them

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

So Camcunt is turning more and more into a totalitarian dictator backed by the US and the opposition party are treacherous commie bastards. Politics in the UK is fun again :cheers:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So Cameron is having a forums meltdown basically, as far as I can tell

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

SirEvelynTremble posted:

So Camcunt is turning more and more into a totalitarian dictator backed by the US and the opposition party are treacherous commie bastards. Politics in the UK is fun again :cheers:

gee thanks for drone striking my tables jerk :mad:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

SirEvelynTremble posted:

if thats the case shouldnt cameron order drone strikes on labour hq

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

SirEvelynTremble posted:

i'm guessing plenty of britons do this every day anyway but someone just needs to tweet "eat poo poo" @ him

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Feranon posted:

i'm guessing plenty of britons do this every day anyway but someone just needs to tweet "eat poo poo" @ him

click on the tweet and yeah, that's been pretty well covered so far

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

lorn Wayne posted:

click on the tweet and yeah, that's been pretty well covered so far

im clicking and nothing is happening!!

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Im editing the special relationship page on wikipedia, RIP UK

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

don't kill them, just ship them off to Australia

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

SirEvelynTremble posted:

sounds pretty crazy, im pretty sure capitalism has a track record of always winning though, corbyn will be marketed as evil and bernie can't possibly even be skewed into evil so they'll just discourage talking about him

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Calling it now, Cameron is caught asking MI5 to bug Labour.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

happyhippy posted:

i dont believe this hasnt already happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

happyhippy posted:

mission impossible probably bugged the labour party before the 5th movie, all of them involve giving a ton of gadgets and airplanes and poo poo to a white male

• Locked thread