Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
The world needs more Jake Buesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Wulfolme posted:

when I was a lad watching starship troopers on VHS i 100% unironically thought it was the raddest poo poo in the universe

i was a deeply flawed child

It's ok, that's not necessarily true just because you liked Starship Troopers. Most kids don't develop critical thinking to the degree it would take to understand the satire behind it. I was 11 when I saw this, and while I would've told you it's not as good as Terminator 2, I still wouldn't have been able to discern the nationalistic insanity aspect until a few years later.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked the uniforms designed by future Hugo Boss

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

agreed, but NPH and his crew had the best future boss.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

more movies need to have dick and vagina monsters

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

etalian posted:

more movies need to have yogurt drooling dick and vagina monsters

ftfy

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Heinlein is just regular bad. Really generic military-fetish bad.

The Puppet Masters wasn't bad, but, yeah, he wrote a lot of poo poo.

Starship Troopers is a bad rear end film. gently caress the book.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
coed shower scene ftw

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

etalian posted:

Hugo Boss didn't design the German WWII uniforms. He had his company produce uniforms, designed by others, for nazi political organizations. Some of his factories later did produce army uniforms as well, but yeah not designed by Hugo Boss.

e: The German uniforms of WWII were an evolution of the German army uniforms of late WWI (in the early stages the different German states had different uniforms for their regiments), and in had reached the "iconic" nazi look during the Weimar Republic.

e2: Starship Troopers is an amazing movie. I find one of the best and most absurd parts to be that it's pretty much a very banal high school romance triangle crossed with a war movie.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 14, 2015

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Any film you can enjoy with your racist uncle for entirely different reasons is a gift to awkward childhood christmas gatherings across the world

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

ChickenWyngz posted:

Roughneck chronicles was the best

I would say this, but they kinda forgot the ending which is bad.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

Point conceded.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Every one fights. No one quits.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

etalian posted:

This is basically america right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys

thank you for your service

Hey, "A Good day to Die" is a pretty catchy tune. Where can I get the 45?

I wonder, can Donald Trump sing worth a drat? Sure and he'd love to do a cover of "America, gently caress Yeah!".
I'd buy that for a dollar.
Throw in the scantily-clad "Trump Dancers" kick-line troupe = ratings gold!
I predict. Life imitates bad art.

I'd love to see that. Trumpy screaming " AMERICA gently caress YEAH! out of tune at the top of his lungs.
It'd scare the hell out of the Iranians.
And everyone else.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 14, 2015

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

ChickenWyngz posted:

Roughneck chronicles was the best

I agree. Good writing, exploration of the themes, pretty good CGI for the times.
But the name...

Where there Smoothnecks?
Yah know, the recruits that were too wimpy,weak,or gayfruitwimpfag to be Roughnecks?

SMOOTHNECKS!
We do the cooking and mopping up the blood. And butt duty.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
lol its been 50 years and heinlin is still trolling weepy crybabies

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

InterFaced posted:

Yes, it does.
And the world also needs MORE COWBELL.

COWBELL!

Christopher Walken should have played Zim.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

same

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

Reported.

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNhYJgDdCu4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Volume posted:

great sound track too

The sound track is loving amazing. I get goose bumps every time the Klendathu Drop song comes on. Uhhhhnnnngg.....

drat, I just watched the movie for the 50th time or so last month. Might have to watch it again tonight.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Hey OP, Denis Richards is hot and this is why this movie is the best.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Dizzy tits

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
While the OP is right to nominate a Verhoeven film for "greatest movie of the 20th century", Robocop is better than Starship Troopers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdZqKVcI9m8

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

God I loved Dizzy. Rico was so gay.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

InterFaced posted:

This is a true statement.

Ace Levy: Sir, I don't understand. Who needs a knife in a nuke fight anyway? All you gotta do is push a button, sir.

Career Sergeant Zim: Cease fire. Put your hand on that wall trooper. PUT YOUR HAND ON THAT WALL!

Career Sergeant Zim: The enemy can not push a button... if you disable his hand.

Medic!

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Novo posted:

i mean, bugs shooting things out their asses at escape velocity, which then travel across the galaxy to hit rio or buenos aires or w/e? and we send infantry to fight them?

It was an asteroid that hit buenos aires and the bugs didn't seem capable of any kind of space anything except for those ButtSAMs you're talking about. i think this is meant to imply we hit ourselves with an asteroid to jingo up the blood and conquer some habitable planets on the cheap

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Out of the Heinlein books that I liked at one point, this is probably the one I'm most ok with someone going a different direction with. The only one I think I could read again is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
i was gonna read heinlein then i just looked up erotic stories on the internet i think i made the right choice

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Did GBS see the really bad straight to DVD Starship Troopers movies?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
This movie came out at the same time as the original Fallout, but I think it has aged much better.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

huskarl_marx posted:

It was an asteroid that hit buenos aires and the bugs didn't seem capable of any kind of space anything except for those ButtSAMs you're talking about. i think this is meant to imply we hit ourselves with an asteroid to jingo up the blood and conquer some habitable planets on the cheap

I've never been quite clear about this but obviously they had some form of interplanetary colonization, most likely interstellar too.

Frankly, I find the idea of a bug that thinks offensive.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RanchoRube posted:

Out of the Heinlein books that I liked at one point, this is probably the one I'm most ok with someone going a different direction with. The only one I think I could read again is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Probably one of his best works, if not the best.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Also, this is unironically one of my favorite movies. I saw it in the theaters when I was maybe 14 or so and I can't say that it didn't play a part in me joining the Marines. I was probably a military fetishist dumbass kid at the time. I didn't understand satire or anything like that. It was just "Oh cool, guns, boobs, death, explosions, yay!"

This movie is so great because now I love it for the exact opposite reasons. It's a satire of everything I thought I liked at the time and have now grown older and deeply despise the war machine.

Perfect.

I still like boobs though.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's a lot of his novellas geared directly toward young adults that I really enjoyed. "Double Star" and "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" are definitely great juvenile fantasies. There was another that I'm almost sure was by Heinlein about telepathic pairs of twins that do the first explorations of other stars that I enjoyed as well.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I like boobs and starship troopers too.
The movie, I know its goon cannon these days but I thought the book was boring too.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I Will Fear no Evil kind of made me wary of picking up another. Also, I always seem to forget about Job, but that was a great book too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't remember this part.

• Locked thread