Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Starship Troopers vs The 5th Element, hard choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That Robot posted:

thanks for posting a lot of poo poo out if context without captions

regardless i love my dead gay military SF

The Indian Nazis with turbans are from the Free India Legion. A volunteer Waffen-SS group.

The African Nazis and the Arab Nazis are probably from the Free Arabian Legion. A group created by Amin al-Husseini, the grand Mufti of Jerusalem, to aid the Nazi conquest of North-Africa. They were technically a branch of the Wermacht.

The Nazis with the fezzes are Bosnian volunteers of the 13th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Handschar (1st Croatian). They're pretty drat white but would still probably be considered to be subhuman and not Aryan by many NSDAP members since they are Slavic.

Not sure about the Asian Nazis. Could be Japanese or Chinese or maybe even Mongolians.

So numerous instances of non-Aryans fighting in the Waffen-SS and/or Wermacht.

e:
I mean I guess you could claim that the Indian dudes are probably far more Aryan than any German but according to NDSAP dogma Indians used to be whiter and purely Aryan millenia ago but had become degenerated due to race mixing.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 15, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

12gaugelobotomy posted:

Book is far better. Movie gets alot wrong. Rico is philipino. And dizzy is a guy.

E. Sort of like the writers saw the book read the back cover and said "this will make a great movie!" As they tossed it aside never to be read again and wrote something different.

Also NPH's character dies on pluto.

I know the book and movie are totally different, but I don't care. The movie is still really good and its political and military themes and messages are great.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

Uziduke posted:

Hey OP, Denis Richards is hot and this is why this movie is the best.

Charlie sheen is an idiot.

The director of starship troopers directed the shower scene naked, otherwise they never would have shot it.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
My mom absolutely refused to let me rent this movie from Hollywood Video, on multiple occasions. I had to wait until I stayed at my dad's to watch it.

I remember it being loving awesome, and it took me years later to recognize the satire. I still get sad when the big bug is afraid.

And somehow the cgi holds up, which doesn't seem possible.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Uziduke posted:

Starship Troopers vs The 5th Element, hard choice.

Troopers wins for me, but that is only because you cannot deny the double power of Clancy Brown and Michael Ironside.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Hooded Reptile posted:

The director of starship troopers directed the shower scene naked, otherwise they never would have shot it.

Is this real?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EngineerSean posted:

Is this real?

Yes the whole cast refused the do the shower scene unless he was also nude.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

etalian posted:

Yes the whole cast refused the do the shower scene unless he was also nude.

the internet says it so it must be true

After watching the shower scene again I have no idea why Casper Van Dien didn't become the 20th century Chris Helmsworth

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

EngineerSean posted:

the internet says it so it must be true

After watching the shower scene again I have no idea why Casper Van Dien didn't become the 20th century Chris Helmsworth

He did a lot of those Christian world thriller TBN films, the Omega Code series and maybe some left behind. At one point he was following me on Twitter for some reason (didn't understand Twitter maybe?) and it made my week.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

A Winner is Jew posted:

While the OP is right to nominate a Verhoeven film for "greatest movie of the 20th century", Robocop is better than Starship Troopers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdZqKVcI9m8

Robocop is a perfect movie

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Nothing beats Total Recall.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Michael ironside dies

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Commando was better, they even accounted for when the chick shot one of the rockets out of the 4 armed rocket launcher.

Also, i told you i'd kill you last, i lied.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hooded Reptile posted:

Commando was better, they even accounted for when the chick shot one of the rockets out of the 4 armed rocket launcher.

Also, i told you i'd kill you last, i lied.

Commando had no layers, man! Total Recall was loving existential. :350:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Commando had no layers, man! Total Recall was loving existential. :350:

let off some steam

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Bruce Kison posted:

Robocop is a perfect movie

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUnMF7dV86k

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hooded Reptile posted:

let off some steam

I want to watch like every Schwarzenegger action film right now. :smith:

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A pity they are not combined into a 3 hour amazing clip on youtube where you cut the fluff and just get the peaks of his awesome.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

A Winner is Jew posted:

While the OP is right to nominate a Verhoeven film for "greatest movie of the 20th century", Robocop is better than Starship Troopers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdZqKVcI9m8

robocop is set in detroit, and no one wants to go there

ppl do want to go to space tho

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Indian Nazis with turbans are from the Free India Legion. A volunteer Waffen-SS group.

The African Nazis and the Arab Nazis are probably from the Free Arabian Legion. A group created by Amin al-Husseini, the grand Mufti of Jerusalem, to aid the Nazi conquest of North-Africa. They were technically a branch of the Wermacht.

The Nazis with the fezzes are Bosnian volunteers of the 13th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Handschar (1st Croatian). They're pretty drat white but would still probably be considered to be subhuman and not Aryan by many NSDAP members since they are Slavic.

Not sure about the Asian Nazis. Could be Japanese or Chinese or maybe even Mongolians.

So numerous instances of non-Aryans fighting in the Waffen-SS and/or Wermacht.

e:
I mean I guess you could claim that the Indian dudes are probably far more Aryan than any German but according to NDSAP dogma Indians used to be whiter and purely Aryan millenia ago but had become degenerated due to race mixing.

Did they have these guys on the Homefront in Germany during the war? Don't think so.

Their ideology was diametrically opposed to any level of tolerance and multiculturalism.

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZNZYOQ_tt8

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

That Robot posted:

Did they have these guys on the Homefront in Germany during the war? Don't think so.

Their ideology was diametrically opposed to any level of tolerance and multiculturalism.

there were some koreans holding the beaches on the atlantic coast at the end of the war which is pretty lol

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

TEAYCHES posted:

there were some koreans holding the beaches on the atlantic coast at the end of the war which is pretty lol

Seriously? That sounds insane and hilarious

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

That Robot posted:

heres a good short example of how this kind of poo poo happens:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Kyoungjong

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That Robot posted:

There's a badass story of a Korean who was conscripted by japan, then russia and finally nazi germany:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

etalian posted:

There's a badass story of a Korean who was conscripted by japan, then russia and finally nazi germany:

fuckin owned

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jesse Owens was treated better and faced far less discrimination in Nazi Germany than in the USA. The Germans had some ideas about completely banning Jews from competing but a bunch of countries threatened to boycott the games if such rules were put in place.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh you're not getting away form me yet thread. It's on Netflix so I'm going to watch it now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What I never noticed the first 10 times I saw this movie was Sergeant Zim out of focus in the background of training scenes observing Rico and his behavior. How did I miss that part?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

cheerfullydrab posted:

What I never noticed the first 10 times I saw this movie was Sergeant Zim out of focus in the background of training scenes observing Rico and his behavior. How did I miss that part?

I actually JUST noticed this as well. I'm at the boot camp scenes now and he's standing in the background while Busey tries to cut in line and Rico puts him in his place. Probably why Zim gets a soft spot for him and wants to salvage him later on.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

People on tiger themed football teams scoring with insane flips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqLmJ-lDHEQ

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I actually JUST noticed this as well. I'm at the boot camp scenes now and he's standing in the background while Busey tries to cut in line and Rico puts him in his place. Probably why Zim gets a soft spot for him and wants to salvage him later on.

That was the "holy poo poo" moment I had when I first noticed it, but I think he's slightly blurry in the background in at least one or two other scenes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's picking up!

:ohdear:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh god. The Klendathu Drop song......... goosebumps.... tears..... It's..... it's beautiful.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Michael Ironside has never had a bad role ever

ChickenWyngz posted:

Roughneck chronicles was the best

White Noise Marine posted:

I would say this, but they kinda forgot the ending which is bad.
I agree with these posts.

Remember how the pilot to Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy basically stole the uniforms and the concept from Starship Troopers?

Remember that good Starship Troopers game? Me neither.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I very much wanted there to be a good Starship Troopers game. I remember seeing as or reviews for it in print magazines I used to get when I was young. The reviews were.... less than stellar. It's be nice if they would make a new one but there is no sort of market for it.

Well poo poo, this is an odd statement, but I wouldn't mind if they remade this movie just to drum up more appreciation for it. They'd probably gently caress it up though and there would be no satire whatsoever that Paul Verhoeven does so loving perfectly. On second thought, scratch that idea. Point: Robocop remake.

Edit - Those helmets look like they took them from the Starship Troopers wardrobe. Actually... I think they are. Exactly. :confused:

• Locked thread