Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keegles
Aug 24, 2013
Well ive lurked for quite a few years, then I bought an account, then I lurked for a few more years. ANYWAY since I haven't seen much driftng/240sx/retards with stickers, I finally decided to post and feel important yay.

So without spending 3 pages posting my 2011-2015 expierences
-240s suck
-240s break and catch on fire
-I have too many 240s
-sr20/ca18/ka-t/rb, done them all.
-coilovers are just for spinning down so far that you can't drive the car right?

Anyway, I currently have 2, one s13 hatch, and one s13 coupe. The hatch is called peppermint, due to its red/white nature, and the coupe is just "that loving coupe thats too loud for old people"
Then we have all my friends, who all have 240s, and Ive helped build over the years.

My picasa web album is hosed, so while I fix that and type my life out, here you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Love is in danger

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Chriskory posted:

Love is in danger

It is gonna die

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Not gonna lie, pretty excited to see where this goes :v:

keegles
Aug 24, 2013
I REFUSE to get into my high school modding life, because 2010-2011 was... weird (neon pink wheels, intercoolers, blowoff valves, open downpipe) but thats when I met my now best friend, Brad. I got him into dsms, and we spent a year wasting thousands of dollars on transfer cases/motors/safcs/alcohol. He finally got smart and we both sold all our mistakes. He bought a (at the time) reasonably $3500 240sx hatch with wheels, 5 speed swap, coils. we hadn't even heard about drifting or anything, it was just low and kinda cool.

So he drives it around, and it works allright. I buy a retardo hatch, for 1000, with a new motor and trans, but otherwise pretty lovely. Being 19, we didn't give 2 shits besides sweet 2 door manual cars that drove. Mine was a piece, and for some reason after 20 minutes of driving, it would loose fuel pressure and eventually die, but restart later. I didn't know anything at the time so whatever, I just drove it short distances.

A good while later, his develops rod knock, and mine isn't running any better. So whatever, I give him my motor setup, and sell the shell to a friend for something like $50
We have a great time kinda ruining my car in the process, and I tell myself "man 240s are stupid, ill never own another one again...

So I bought a del sol which was a pretty decent car for commuting, (and later ended up being the beginning to my 4 year long 28+ car flipping spree that I still do to this day)
So Brad gets this idea in his head that the army is the place for him, and next thing I know my best friend is off to Basic. Well while at basic, he lets a mutual friend use the car, and eventually when he finishes all that, he comes back for a week before deployment. The car is returned with 0 oil pressure, oil pan is quite smashed, head/motor is rattling its rear end off (obviously) and it looks kinda boned. So as a farewell kinda thing, he rattle cans the car white, and hands me the title. I had no idea what to do, and being an average broke 20 year old, I decide, WELL WHAT ELSE COULD GO WRONG? Jump the dead battery, confirm the lack of oil pressure, and drive the car 20 MILES to my job. Remove and bang out the oil pan, throw some rotella in it, and start it up. Perfect oil pressure, motor runs great. Laugh my rear end off at what appears completely illogical, and drive/beat on the car for a year without an issue.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love these cars so I'm all in.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Always wanted a 240 hatch, pretty excited to see where your story leads.

keegles
Aug 24, 2013
Anyway so this is more or less the starting point or a never ending "lets spend all the money on stupid stuff".
So I got bored with the extremely reliable single cam that appeared to never want to quit, and decided to rebuild a ka24de, then attach a bunch of stupid turbo stuff to it. If you have ever been interested in 240s, you'll know most people will end up asking if they should go ka-t, which is a aftermarket turbocharged version of the ka24de, or sr20det, which does pull a premium before race wars. Everyone will bash a ka-t car saying they aren't reliable, but are faster. Some will listen and go sr20, some will not and go ka-t. I went ka-t. DO NOT DO THIS. THIS IS THE WORST IDEA EVER AND IT WILL BLOW UP REPEATEDLY. I literally spent more time replacing head gaskets and bent rods than I did driving the car, which was quite the bummer.

This is the only picture you will ever see with the popup headlights down. It looks like a 944 and it bothers me

Detonation, blown headgaskets, bent rods, more bent rods, more blown headgaskets. I eventually got so mad I just removed the thermostat and let the head lift when it was in boost. Overtorqued the srp head studs and drove it like that for 3 months somehow.

The car sat for while at work, while brad sent me money to buy and build him a new 240(the black one) while the red one was another friends who needed some oil leaks or something taken care of

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Obligatory swap in an LSx suggestion.

keegles
Aug 24, 2013
So screw ka-t cars. Car was getting worse obviously, and I was just not driving it anymore. So a friend of a friend who I met once or something is in a pinch, and calls me around tax return season, and says "come get this hatch shell, with a rb20 sitting in it for 1,000 bucks, I need it gone tonnight" I immediately leave work, get some money, head to the kinda ghetto. I am greeted by Myles (red coupe in previous post, with his dads suburban and a tow strap. PLOT TWIST, when he said shell, I wasnt aware he meant literally a bare drat shell, with some skyline motor stuffed in it. The only way I could get that particular vehicle that night, was by pulling it, however it had no brakes, and the ebrake barely locked up even one side, no seats, no seat belts, no lights, 2 doughnuts, 2 normal wheels on wires missing a lot of wheel bolts, half flat tires. Made it 11 miles home, including a horrifying .5 mile highway section. 10/10 would do again.

Pure luck it made it home. Pulled the rb out of it that night, sold the shell as is, with a blown single cam motor out of yet another roomates project for $500 the next day. Parted the ka-t crap out to 2 friends and made about 1300, so currently on a $800 profit for going rb.

Dropped the motor straight into my car, added a questionable skid plate (motor sits somewhat low) changed the oil, coolant lines, and spark plugs, been driving it ever since. Somewhere along the way the car was sanded down and painted white again too.

Meanwhile brad had aero, wheels, suspension bits, and a JAYDEEFUCKINM sr20 sent to my job, so I attached all of that to his hatch and cool yet another 240 to add to the collection

Typically this is how the house looks, luckily we have super cool neighbors and haven't had any issues, which we try and be respectful, and don't get rowdy/rev at night or anything

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I loving love that RB20 240. That skidplate is pure class, almost did that with a roadsign I smacked in my old Blazer once :v:

keegles
Aug 24, 2013
What do you do when you have a well running s13? You buy another one because financial mistakes are radical. I liked the relatively simple nature of my hatch, and felt that it didn't need to change cosmetically, aside of some dent removal. I wanted to build the typical us spec JDM TYTE I WATCHED INITIAL D 8 TIMES 240. Again, tax returns, again, other friends looking to pawn off failed projects.

So I bought this thing, kinda ran ok somehow, again with some wheels that were from 1996, with what felt like 1996 tires. Drove it an hour home, with a license plate the guy found in his truck bed. White knuckled the whole way. Clutch was slipping and it was open downpipe. Immediately threw used tires, left over coilovers, and wheel spacers on it the next day. Oh and it has a ca18det, which is just as jdm as the sr20, but will hold power better, is iron block, and doesn't have rocker arms that fall off. In europe they had a different variation, and theirs was lovely. It blew up a lot and they got all butthurt.

So I gave it the 240sx starter kit, which involved things laying around the garage, coilovers, adjustable suspension, subframe risers, aero, blah blah blah. I pulled the motor and installed a s15 ball bearing t28 deal, did a timing belt, water pump, rod bearings (because if you buy a ca18, you do rod bearings no exceptions) and modify the crankcase system. Back in with a new clutch, radiator, WORKING AC, and some other stupid stuff.

Once I heard it start back up, I got all excited and instead of using misc parts I had, I actually went and bought nice things, like a trust intercooler, fancy 2 way lsd, greddy oil cooler kit, apexi power fc (rare for ca18 engines) Some extremely rare 4x114 face 2 volk gt-c wheels (apparently only 11 sets ever made)

Then I ruined it. I bought front fenders, sold front fenders, bought a bodykit, lowered it into the ground, put various straight pipe exhausts on it, drove it around half taken apart, things that may be illegal in other states but this is texas sooo

Police love me I swear.

Put a seat, harness, a bunch of leds, stickers, nardi suede wheel, tall shiftknob, ricey stuff because down here that old 2001 style is coming back

Then I decided the car might actually not look so bad if I put the fenders and wing on, and maybe painted it one color.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
you would fit right in here

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I want a 240 you sold me on it

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
TIL that 240 guys are as batshit as early watercooled VW guys.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
So how good is a 240 at delivering tofu?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I was thinking this thread was going to be stupid ricer bullshit, but you've surprised me by seeming to know what the gently caress you're doing, and doing your own work. Neat.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Where in Texas are you?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sweet, someone on here to share my joy and (mostly) miseries with!

Im putting a GTX2863R in mine this weekend.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Almost makes me want to put a motor back in my 240. Almost. Bought the car for $1500, sold the SR20DET, Buddy Club wheels, and trans for $2000, bought a Ford 5.0 and T5 and associated swap parts for $700, then sold the Ford stuff for $1200. It's been languishing under a shed since 2011.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

wallaka posted:

Almost makes me want to put a motor back in my 240. Almost. Bought the car for $1500, sold the SR20DET, Buddy Club wheels, and trans for $2000, bought a Ford 5.0 and T5 and associated swap parts for $700, then sold the Ford stuff for $1200. It's been languishing under a shed since 2011.

Do ittttt

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I thought this was going to be some stupid ricer bullshit, but you know what you're doing and seem to have a sense of humour about it.

Carry on, stickerbomb the poo poo out of it.

keegles
Aug 24, 2013
t2 turbos are gay. I happened to not have the whole issue with my turbo falling off the manifold, like a lot of people do, because I am an adult, and working for Audi gives me access to neat copper lock nuts designed for turbo things. But who likes moderately responsive turbo setups? Not anyone from texas duh. Ill get to the whole thing Im currently doing in a minute, but I might as well spam it up with all the other 240s ive built/helped build

Oh and this fucky 5.0 t5 volvo

Brads car became this, then he stupidly sold it.

This hunk of poo poo sr20 car that ran like crap until we went e85 with everything except the intake manifold upgraded, z32 trans, z32 brakes, built motor, cams, gtx3071
And our roommates e46 m3, thats apart right now getting some sort of fully built high compression race gas s54

Jr and me pieced together a ka-t s14 then he flipped it

lsjuan s14
high comp e85 ls motor with a dogbox type of thing

Na ka sileighty, z31, sr20 sileighty

If you were wondering, YES we do have basically every 240sx within a 30 mile radius of dallas. No joke.

There was another one but I cant find it, it was a little street beater drifty coupe

keegles fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 15, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The purple on that car that he sold is gogeous. I can't decide what I like more, that or the teal you have

keegles
Aug 24, 2013

Nodoze posted:

The purple on that car that he sold is gogeous. I can't decide what I like more, that or the teal you have

It was a $300 macco paint job, and my car was only rattle canned. Its really all in the prep/finishing that makes it look decent and last

mariooncrack posted:

So how good is a 240 at delivering tofu?
They drive allright, but your tofu would be upside down on the floorboard by the time its delivered

Mr-Spain posted:

Where in Texas are you?

Around the dallas area

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Tell me about these copper turbo lock-nuts.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Man. Some good threads on the go. It's amazing seeing 240s that are rust like up here. Also I remember the first time I read about a sileighty down in AU.

Oem bmw lock nut for manifold to exhaust pipe on m50s are copper as well.

keegles
Aug 24, 2013
Well my day to day job is working for Audi currently as a tech, been doing it for about 4 years, and I'm getting a little tired of the flat rate tech lifestyle, its a bit stressful. But working there does mean I get access to lifts and ship facility 24/7, and cool misc. parts. The copper nut is awesome, because every engine since 04 or so uses them, and I always have a decent amount. The cool part about them is theyre oval shaped, so unlike a round nut, they aren't prone to vibration issues, and while copper is softer, the expansion rate is faster than steel, so they will clamp harder before the manifold itself starts to expand from heat.

I think we charge customers $7 a nut or something insane like that.
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES276297/

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I bought some of those after I had issues keeping nuts on the downpipe of my celica (the old 3S is a shakey bastard), they work a treat, never had an issue after switching and they don't get seized up like normal steel nuts either.

keegles
Aug 24, 2013
My car got shared from a worldwide meet thing I went to back in June :3

*efame boner intensifies*

keegles
Aug 24, 2013
The t28 setup was quick spooling for the most part, but it also was slow.
So I hit up a friend who imports from japan and he scored me a Greddy 18g + hks wastegate with some sketchy fencepost exhaust section. Since it was for sr20, I built a new manifold, and threw it in.

Threw a quick tune on the power fc and we were goin fast, Made boost at about 4k, scared the piss out of me and held boost until 7800.

Then that blew up. The compressor wheel backed off the turbine shaft and tried to get sucked up. I cried for 1 hour.

Then I decided to be awesome and the next day I bought a Greddy 20g, more lag, more boost, more fun

gently caress ITS SCARY FAST

Now my power fc is reporting %100 duty cycle on my 450cc injectors, so I'm ordering 850s tonight. Also picked up a billet 70mm throttle body, so port, port, boost

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
"My turbo done blewed up, put a bigger turbo on, dadgum it" ~ literally everyone with a turbo car ever.

Awesome.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

"My turbo done blewed up, put a bigger turbo on, dadgum it" ~ literally everyone with a turbo car ever.

Awesome.

Well if you have to pull the old one out you may as well put a bigger one in.

it was $100 difference for me to get a GTX2863 instead of the factory GT2560.

keegles
Aug 24, 2013
I want to feel bad about myself because I bought another car, but this one is from JAPAN therefore

Right
Hand
loving
Drive

Could have paid off my credit card instead but meh

e: oh and its not legal for import until 7/2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
That looks extremely clean. I'm jealous man.

Where is the car now and what are you going to with it until then?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

New favorite thread in AI

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Nodoze posted:

New favorite thread in AI

:boom:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Hmmm...

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/5226235735.html

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I like the tuna here.

Are those real Watanabes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Ughhhhh, I hate living in Wisconsin so much! We have no cheap race cars to speak of whatsoever.

• Locked thread