Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I'm so glad Barcelona had the foresight to install break-away trees when Vin Diesel came.

OK, so that applies to just about every open world game with driving, but it's hilarious how many trees you can drive into without seriously damaging the car. Video game trees have no mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
"Is It A Bird?" is the achievement for doing a certain number of airjacks.

I wonder if the gang leaders are so caught up in their rivalries that they automatically assume anything bad that befalls them must be the fault of another gang? They don't even bother investigating the events, they just say "The So-and-Sos did it! Payback!"

No wonder Vin is manipulating them so easily.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Quiet Python posted:

I wonder if the gang leaders are so caught up in their rivalries that they automatically assume anything bad that befalls them must be the fault of another gang? They don't even bother investigating the events, they just say "The So-and-Sos did it! Payback!"

No wonder Vin is manipulating them so easily.

This will get... "cleared up" in the next episode. I'm hoping to put it online on Sunday to make up for the small lull between previous two episodes.

Xenoveritas posted:

I'm so glad Barcelona had the foresight to install break-away trees when Vin Diesel came.

OK, so that applies to just about every open world game with driving, but it's hilarious how many trees you can drive into without seriously damaging the car. Video game trees have no mass.

Most of the games I've played had toothpick streetlamps and trees made out of unobtainium. I was genuinely surprised you could break down the trees here (although different types require a different minimum driving speed).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You see, you getting stuck that second time just goes to show you, you need to be cool in the face of danger. Like Vin Diesel.

Also what I meant by that suggestion is that gang leaders are so ridiculously stupid that they believe anything Milo tells them because that seems to be the way he began working for them in the first place. Or they were dazzled by his amazing witticisms.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 16: He Killed Pepe!

Time to eliminate two out of three major gangs! And of course, it's not a dramatic subversive action story without a shootout in a church.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Oh boy, that came sooner than I expected!

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 17: The Fast and the Careful

Twists! Tragedy! Tension! Testosterone! The game is setting up its epic finale.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pick up Lumi from the pavement when you are ready.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Say what you want about driving across town from mission to mission it's better than when the game sends you to one small area for everything. I just started replaying San Andreas and I've become intimately familiar with Idlewood.

OldManMarsh
Sep 25, 2013

leeeettsss play
Oh wow, the end of that video with Lumi just... dropping out on the road. Good.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Someone needs to GIF that.

If I can stop being lazy maybe I'll even do it.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: FINALE: Chekhov's Ramp

And that brings to a close the story of how one young Vin grew up to become a real Wheelman. Thanks for joining the ride.

Next thing will probably be Resident Evil 0 Remake in January, but we might have something interesting before that.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
-Game: Hey guess what? Gallo is a dick.
-Me: Duh.

-Game: Hey guess what? The briefcase is something that can kill thousands.
-Me: Wait, what?

-Game: Hey guess what? Vin Diesel and his bosses knew all along that Gallo was dirty and did all this anyway just to get proof so they could kill him, instead of simply benching him pending an investigation and subsequent arrest.
-Me: :psypop:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh yeah, that's why I didn't like this game in the end.

Wheelman is basically a game that runs out of ideas a quarter of the way into the game. It doesn't challenge you at all, just throws more enemies at you for you to use the cyclone more on repeatedly and never really goes over the top enough for its limited mechanics to really shine.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was one hell of a monologue.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I kept waiting for Vin to say something like "Stop calling me!" or "Hmmm? Sorry, I wasn't listening."

You're right. Pulling the "real bad guy" out at the end of the story after having had almost no interactions with that character really kills any impact the reveal or final chase might have had.

But now things like air-jacking are showing up in better games, and that's a good thing.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Yeah, the best thing about this game is other games nicking the good ideas. Considering how many publishers and developers were involved (Ubisoft, Midway and Tigon Studios), I'm not surprised the latter half of the game became such a mess.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Man this game is a glittering turd, there's a lot of good ideas here e.g. air jacking, explosion cam (which is not even original), etc. But most of it's just crap, shoehorned shooting sections and blatant rubberbanding being the big offender. I thank you for entertaining us with this lp but this game should go the way of Shaqfu collected in mass and burned.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Wait when was the last time Gallo turned up? I guess he was your handler but when did he turn up last? What did the gangs have to do with anything apart from that second-in-charge of the Red Gang being in the Heist Gang? This game could of been done in 6 missions.
But I do love how it's just Vin Diesel as Vin Diesel not even really trying to pretend that he's being some other guy. :allears: Sad more Vin Diesel games haven't really happened.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Gallo turns up on four occasions: start of the game, when you chase after Lumi and he pulls his car over, when you talk to him in the park for a debrief, and at the end of the game. So that's 4 times, of which one contributes literally nothing to the game. To be fair, we interact with several NPCs who seem like they'll be important and just never appear again.

Also, Vin Diesel announced a new Riddick movie and TV show, so there might easily be video game tie-ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
And the LP is now on the Archive: http://lparchive.org/Wheelman/

Next LP project in January, after the Holidays.

• Locked thread