Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

ArbitraryC posted:

I don't really understand how this explains the stat. If a burgler broke into 60 cars and 60 people reported him, that's still 60 criminal acts. If the criminal broke into 1 car and 60 people reported him, I guess that would skew the # of reported crimes vs the # of actual crimes, but I would imagine that the police already lump together reports of the same crime as they receive them and wouldn't count it as multiple reported crimes cause that would just be dumb.

Sorry, I gave a very bad example.

An actual example that is more relevant is how drug crimes are reported. If you find out that a dealer sends out a mass e-mail to all his customers offering drugs, you can charge him with attempting to sell drugs. Ooooor, you could multiply it with each recipient of the e-mail, and charge him with 150 counts of attempting to sell drugs. Since it's a simple crime to prove, you just solved 150 drug-related crimes, and your results look great. The criminal gets the same sentence, but you solved 150 times as many crimes.

Another example that got a bit of publicity was a man who harassed a woman through text messages last year. Instead of booking him for one count of harassment, the police made a report for every single of the 390 messages. It was simple to tie him to the crime, and the 390 reported crime were cleared up. Reported crimes soared so much that this single event had an impact on the national reported crime numbers for sexual harassment, but at the same time the police precinct could show a 100% clear-up rate for 390 reported crimes, not bad.

This type of dividing reports of crimes has grown more common (and critizised) around here, which is a reason why it's hard to get anything meaningful out of the number of reported crimes over time. The victims, however, stays the same, and the number of people convicted as well, so those numbers are more useful when comparing the amount of crimes occuring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

lilljonas posted:

I loving love stats, can we make this a stat thread?

Anyway, the radical increase of victims of violence during the last decades:

Notice the huge increase of victims when you go from the 90's to 2013. It's like, whoa.

this graph is of responses to victimisation surveys. it doesn't show a fall in the actual number of victims, it shows a fall in those willing to report being exposed to violent crime from the sample of people called up by some organisation in sweden. i actually don't know how they're regarded in academic crime literature and whether they are a good proxy for the actual number of victims.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 14, 2015

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

ArmZ posted:

confirmed as minnesota is the best state

Woo! Swedish ancestry!

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

TheIllestVillain posted:

what is swedish food anyway, like cold fish and potatos or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ualADPgmk

Historieätarna Is actually a really good show, change the subtitles to english or something. They eat food and get naked a lot.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 14, 2015

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

what about Sweden it didn't start any world wars (or even participate)!!!

i am talking about europe in general. europe has done a lot of wars and more than a few of them went global. frankly, i think it's time we do something about europeans

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i am talking about europe in general. europe has done a lot of wars and more than a few of them went global. frankly, i think it's time we do something about europeans

europeans agree

we're hella into hating (other) europeans

they're the worst

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

Sorry, I gave a very bad example.

An actual example that is more relevant is how drug crimes are reported. If you find out that a dealer sends out a mass e-mail to all his customers offering drugs, you can charge him with attempting to sell drugs. Ooooor, you could multiply it with each recipient of the e-mail, and charge him with 150 counts of attempting to sell drugs. Since it's a simple crime to prove, you just solved 150 drug-related crimes, and your results look great. The criminal gets the same sentence, but you solved 150 times as many crimes.

Another example that got a bit of publicity was a man who harassed a woman through text messages last year. Instead of booking him for one count of harassment, the police made a report for every single of the 390 messages. It was simple to tie him to the crime, and the 390 reported crime were cleared up. Reported crimes soared so much that this single event had an impact on the national reported crime numbers for sexual harassment, but at the same time the police precinct could show a 100% clear-up rate for 390 reported crimes, not bad.

This type of dividing reports of crimes has grown more common (and critizised) around here, which is a reason why it's hard to get anything meaningful out of the number of reported crimes over time. The victims, however, stays the same, and the number of people convicted as well, so those numbers are more useful when comparing the amount of crimes occuring

That makes more sense, thanks for clearing that up. The first example just didn't jive with me cause I was like 'of course those are still separate crimes' but what you're saying is like if someone stole your speakers, your stereo, and your gps from your car, it'd be reported as 3 crimes even though that's essentially 1 crime with 1 victim.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Moridin920 posted:

lutefisk

get a cod, clean it, salt it, hang it out to dry for a few weeks, then soak in lye until it's like jello.

It gets worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haw_YDC_zo

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nooner posted:

:synpa:

We laugh now but within the next 3 years there will be serious pushes going on in Germany to ban German culture and customs because it is "offensive" to the muslim refugees
german's already doing the same to the rest of europe and have been for a century or longer. just desserts are just desserts

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

I don't believe the man with an undercut in the salmon tank top when he says he has the worst gag reflex.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Neurosis posted:

this is based on victimisation surveys. i actually don't know how they're regarded in academic crime literature.

Yeah, it's a good idea to not consider them alone, but also include statistics for numbers of suspects:

and convicted of battery/assault:

Both show a similar development with a small hump peaking at 2008-10. Hardly a picture of a rapidly increasing crime spree.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 14, 2015

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Roger Craig posted:

It gets worse

yeah see a few hundred thousand smelly muslims ain't nothing to us

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
I am the Mot man in the suspect graph

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
There's nothing about this situation that can't be fixed with cheap and economical napalm.
Lots of napalm.
Killem with fire, I says.

It's what they deserve. FUCKEM.
Uncivilized, psychotic and verminous human locusts to the last man.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 14, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

This Jacket Is Me posted:

You beat up 8 000 people in a single year?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

This Jacket Is Me posted:

im the mot bam

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
It's tough work, but seeing the look on my family's face after a long day makes it worth it.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Behavior rewarded is behavior repeated.
So stop giving these cockroaches food and shelter, give them PAIN. FIRE. BULLETS.
Only then they will stop coming.
It will come to that. They are not refugees, they are an invading army of enemy vermin.
Yes, I am a bastard.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 14, 2015

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
well in that case im the Hot crime in that earlier graph the swede posted

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

sweden's dark secrets finally coming out in this thread.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Hot crime mot man?

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

kikkelivelho posted:

sweden's dark secrets finally coming out in this thread.

Yeah, they were Vikings at one point.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I'd sooner have the US declare war on Sweden over Syria, as the former is centuries overdue for a royal asswhooping

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

One white dude moves into a poor neighborhood and sets up a bikeshop/cafe/record shop, it's terrible gentrification and destroying the rich culture and demographics of that neighborhood. 2 million poor starving muslims show up on Germany's doorstep, it's ehh, there's plenty of room.

Make up your mind people, is it ok to move places or not?

when whites leave its terrible awful racist white flight and when they move in its terrible awful racist gentrification.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I guess America lucked out in that most of its browns are Christians

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

zimboe posted:

There's nothing about this situation that can't be fixed with cheap and economical napalm.
Lots of napalm.
Killem with fire, I says.

It's what they deserve. FUCKEM.
Uncivilized, psychotic and verminous human locusts to the last man.

:agreed: send B-52s to Sweden now

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Please rename thread to 'Sweden still open and cultureless'

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Scania delenda est

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Take this to its logical end. Refugees, immigrants, and everything else aside, what (criminals aside) is the point of restricting the movement of people other than desire to preserve wealth and local culture? If neither of those matter, why not just allow anyone to enter?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

:agreed: send B-52s to Sweden now

Come at me bro

No.6: the point is to not get brown people across your border, pretty much. Because people are scared of them.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
ship the refugees to america. you know, the country responsible for destabilizing the region for a decade

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

pictured: the entirety of sweden's armed forces

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Das Butterbrot posted:

ship the refugees to america. you know, the country responsible for destabilizing the region for a decade

as opposed to the europeans who destabilized them for centuries prior, dumbass

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

pictured: the entirety of sweden's armed forces

Actually half of them are Estonian extras that we borrowed. We need some proper battled hardened Syrians ASAP. I heard Germany had some to spare?

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

lol

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Das Butterbrot posted:

sounds good it'll be like a sports team trade, we'll send you all our eastern europeans

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

lilljonas posted:

Come at me bro

No.6: the point is to not get brown people across your border, pretty much. Because people are scared of them.

I'm pretty sure a US carrier group could stop almost any European country's military by itself at this point, with the exceptions being France, Germany and Poland

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Hell Yeah posted:

it was a good book store :rip:

i bought sim city 2000 at a borders in 1995. it gave me good times when i was a young lad.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

as opposed to the europeans who destabilized them for centuries prior, dumbass
all those centuries between 1920 and 1950

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Agag posted:

11th hour European racism cannot halt the march of history. These refugees will still make their way into Europe, and together with their brothers and sisters already living in the West they will inherit Europe.

screw eurabia

• Locked thread