Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

J.A.B.C. posted:

Also, skeleton dating simulator of the year.

I know right? Finally someone that shares my passion of spaghetti. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm likely to try this multiple times in different ways to see what happens, but I have heard that actions in one playthrough have consequences in subsequent ones. Can I lock myself out of seeing anything interesting if I do this in some particular order, and, if so, would simply deleting the save file allow me to regain access to what I missed? I ask because some games go overboard in name of making your choices Matter, and I don't want a moment's caprice to donk up my leisure activity.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

f'ed up how u heckle a snowdrakes hopes and dreams

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm likely to try this multiple times in different ways to see what happens, but I have heard that actions in one playthrough have consequences in subsequent ones. Can I lock myself out of seeing anything interesting if I do this in some particular order, and, if so, would simply deleting the save file allow me to regain access to what I missed? I ask because some games go overboard in name of making your choices Matter, and I don't want a moment's caprice to donk up my leisure activity.

Not sure about the full game, but in the Demo, if you Kill Toriel on accident, then go back and save her, you'd get a different reaction than just going through the first time. Same for the other way around.

You may have to delete a save file, as the game has one of it's best mechanics being reacting to your saves as a sort of time-travel that you get called out on by an observer. That's part of the draw of the game: going through the first time, then trying it again by re-loading and seeing how the dev took that into account.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mostly I am worried about, for instance, permanently changing text that I hadn't read the first time around into chilling comments that are more powerful and spooky if you know what they said originally.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Oh my god. (Still early in the game) The flower knows that I reset my game to save Toriel. It knows.

edit:

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, the game's manual spelled this out for you. Maybe you missed it the first time? Check the last page.

Are you trying to make a joke or something? There's no manual in the Steam version, only a single exe file.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 15, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

Oh my god. (Still early in the game) The flower knows that I reset my game to save Toriel. It knows.

Yeah, the game's manual spelled this out for you. Maybe you missed it the first time? Check the last page.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I put the umbrella on a statue and it's playing a song I assume goes with the piano, but I've tried sounding out the first 8 notes like it says and nothing happens.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Holy mother of god, the section where you date Papyrus.

"WH-WHAT? FLIRTING WITH ME? WELL I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW, I'M A SKELETON WITH VERY HIGH STANDARDS!!"

"I can make spaghetti."

"OH NO! YOU'RE MEETING ALL MY STANDARDS!"

e: His "cool outfit" is making me lose my poo poo. Nice basketballs. How could I ever do an evil playthrough if I would have to murder my love :negative:

e2: I just got super friendzoned by a skeleton. Papyrus, why. :saddowns:

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 15, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

Are you trying to make a joke or something? There's no manual in the Steam version, only a single exe file.

I guess that only applies to the demo. Flowey vandalizes the manual based on how you played through to the Toriel fight. Unless you killed everyone, in which case every single page is replaced with the line "THAT WAS FUN. LET'S FINISH THE JOB" over and over again, ending with a picture of Flowey with his face blacked out.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Holy poo poo, watch the gently caress out for Papyrus, hope you get blue attacks down.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

axelsoar posted:

Holy poo poo, watch the gently caress out for Papyrus, hope you get blue attacks down.

That boss fight is actually really challenging, which is probably why he doesn't actually kill you. I had to eat a lot of cinnamon buns.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Beekeeping and You posted:

That boss fight is actually really challenging, which is probably why he doesn't actually kill you. I had to eat a lot of cinnamon buns.

I know it drags the fight out longer, but I like the efficiency of bisicles.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Don't forget the ultra secret ending of kill everything and everyone that has really bizarre and terrifying implications, especially when you check the knife block and the mirror.

Theres also an ending of killing touriel , reloading and doing it over and over. Flowey comments on you being bloodthirsty

The dev even predicted things you could do even outside the game. There was a message in the homepage's source code telling not to look where you shouldnt, and if you decompiled the game and opened it in game maker, there was a message asking you not to spoil anything or mod the game until its released.

I kinda want to buy this not just to play it, but to rip it apart and see what secrets are inside(and the dev is likely expecting it)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Oxxidation posted:

I guess that only applies to the demo. Flowey vandalizes the manual based on how you played through to the Toriel fight. Unless you killed everyone, in which case every single page is replaced with the line "THAT WAS FUN. LET'S FINISH THE JOB" over and over again, ending with a picture of Flowey with his face blacked out.

That's awesome and I hope it gets introduced to the full game in a patch.

Glenn565
Aug 1, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

The Game Maker devs patched the ability to edit external files out due to possible security vulnerabilities. It was a neat feature, but c'est la vie.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

this friendship minigame is too powerful

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Man, the second Papyrus encounter is brutal to my hurt, please come back to me.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I found Temmie Village :stare:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Tengames posted:

I kinda want to buy this not just to play it, but to rip it apart and see what secrets are inside(and the dev is likely expecting it)

He probably left you a kindly worded note to take care with his creation. He put a lot of work and love into it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

What is everybody's plans for their first run? I was thinking mostly pacifist until I run up to some rear end in a top hat. From the demo this might be one of those rare games where the evil run is actually interesting.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

DrManiac posted:

What is everybody's plans for their first run? I was thinking mostly pacifist until I run up to some rear end in a top hat. From the demo this might be one of those rare games where the evil run is actually interesting.

Full pacifist for now, some of the fights seem a little rough without the ability to level up, but I am doing ok so far.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Full pacifist so far, but we'll see.

Oh my god, the Lesser Dog. :3:

"There is no way to stop this madness".

e: Jesus Christ, it never ends.

"Perhaps mankind was not meant to pet this much."

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 15, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I played this game a whole bunch and it's really good. I'm glad it's out and everyone else should now play it and then tell me how to open that door.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Wow undyne is no joke.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hotland OWNS. Jamming music, constant texts from Alphys, tsundere airplanes, it has it all :allears:

Beekeeping and You posted:

Wow undyne is no joke.

Have you figured out the trick yet?

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I played this game a whole bunch and it's really good. I'm glad it's out and everyone else should now play it and then tell me how to open that door.
Haha, ditto!

Yeah, it's really nice seeing people enjoying the game so much, having fun experiences and reactions. I had an absolute blast playing through Undertale with my usual ~try everything I can think of~ gaming style, there's so much good stuff in it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Just got to the first real town and I can only think of how brutal a kill only run is going to be.

The game is charming as gently caress (easily the most charming of this year for me) and it's pretty much the perfect game to play after Lisa the joyful

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Hotland OWNS. Jamming music, constant texts from Alphys, tsundere airplanes, it has it all :allears:

Have you figured out the trick yet?

You mean Pleading with her like halfway through the battle? I only figured that out AFTER finishing her last green-heart attack and wondering why mercy wasn't doing anything anymore :v:

e: Oh, you just... okay, that makes sense. Sorry Undyne.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 15, 2015

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I've be looking forward to this for years but can't get it because of my financial situation.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

For those of you who got up to the piano puzzle, the tune is N, up, right, N, down, N, down, right.

Though the reward is... certainly something. I'm not sure what I was expecting. Anybody figure out how to get past that mysterious door?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

How do you get into the toadstool-surrounded door before Snowdin or is that something that's revealed later?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

subpar anachronism posted:

How do you get into the toadstool-surrounded door before Snowdin or is that something that's revealed later?

Good question!

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
How do I finish mercy'ing Undyne I am running low on Nicecream.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Whatever, OP. Is it free?

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

axelsoar posted:

How do I finish mercy'ing Undyne I am running low on Nicecream.

Some folks refuse sparing to the last. Is there some other merciful option you could take?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This new song is throwing me for a loop jeez

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I went into this blind today based on others' recommendations. Only two hours in.

I killed Toriel by accident and thought that was the only solution. I'm so sad over that, that I didn't kill anyone else in the game :( Too far into the game to reload my save too

If this game keeps it up, it might end up my GOTY instead of Snakebird...

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Everdraed posted:

Some folks refuse sparing to the last. Is there some other merciful option you could take?

Gah, of course, could I have done that the entire time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

axelsoar posted:

Gah, of course, could I have done that the entire time?

Boss spoilers don't look!!

Yes, she tells you that you can't run when your heart is green so when she turns it red....

• Locked thread