Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Supercar Gautier posted:

You shouldn't have to do a full playthrough. Just load your save and go do the stuff.

I'm uncertain about this, but I think the True Ending sequence might not actually be triggerable until after you've already seen a "fake" ending on your file.

I went and did the stuff. What stuff I did I'm not 100% sure but at any rate I'm in the True Laboratory and this poo poo's all new to me so I think I figured it out. Date everyone, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Ok, so I'm at Nightmare Flowey, and I've been completely pacifist so far.

Am I on the right track by Knocking down his health to the last bit, then letting him kill me? I mean, the text keeps changing, but I'm not sure if it's right...

EDIT: Just to clarify, first run through.

EDIT TWO: Now it's off to make some friends! Advice like this can't be wrong at all, can it?!

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 16, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I managed to somehow get true pacifist ending as my second ending (missed a sidequest first time), and like. Wow.

How am I supposed to bring myself to play this game ever again after that message? How? On the plus side, that final boss music is PHENOMENAL.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hace posted:

I've been doing a casual mixed run, but I'm having regrets now and I'm wondering if I should have gone pacifist :(

Same but I played too long to restart without seeing at least one ending.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

J.A.B.C. posted:

Ok, so I'm at Nightmare Flowey, and I've been completely pacifist so far.

Am I on the right track by Knocking down his health to the last bit, then letting him kill me? I mean, the text keeps changing, but I'm not sure if it's right...

EDIT: Just to clarify, first run through.

Nope. Just finish him off, you'll get a chance to show mercy.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
TRUE END GET

THAT WAS ANIME AS BALLS. And now I have a True Reset. I don't want to do it but I know I'm going to.

Welp, time to murder everyone!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Variant_Eris posted:

At the end of the game, you meet back up with Flowey. He reminisces about his past a bit. Through some silent interaction, he becomes scared by you and runs away. You fight Sans in a hallway leading up to the throne room (took me 20-30 tries) and meet up with the King. You kill the King guy in one shot, but before you can finish him off, Flowey swoops in with the kill steal (courtesy of FPS's and Mastercard). He begs you to spare him, but you end up knifing Flowey into plant fertilizer. Once all that is over and done with, the spirit within your character talks to you for a bit and gives you a choice between erasing your data and holding onto it. If you choose to hold onto your save data, the main character's eyes pop out in black squares and knifes the screen, presumably killing you.

So it's the other way besides True Ending of resetting all 'memories'? What happens afterward if you don't choose the reset? I wouldn't put it past the insane Toby Fox to have it create a registy entry that prevents you from playing the game again even if you reinstall it.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

TRUE PEACE ENDING SPOILERS:

Go back to the flower garden in the very beginning of the game. There's someone special waiting for you there.

Also, Go back and talk with everyone. Even the Temmies. Even the shopkeepers. All of the dialog is different. Also, Almagam Dog is back with his family. Commence Level One Happiness Froth.

And another! Check every cheese.

One more! Check your phone. Toriel now has the ability to text.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 16, 2015

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow Just did the end boss of the neutral route. If the dev was trying to invoke the giyas fight he sure did hit the nail on the head. The asagore + flowery fight was literally the most hyped I got in a game this year.

I'm going to do a evil run before my pacifist because I know that one's going to make me feel real bad and I want to end the game on a high note.

[e] I normally don't care about spoilers but I'm really glad I didn't get spoiled on anything in this game.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Everdraed posted:

I can't speak for Toby, but I totally understand where he's coming from and appreciate you doing that. There's a joy to secrets, to ancillary content or details that take effort to find or seem utterly mysterious, both for consumers and creators.

I was considering posting a link on twitter last night and checked tobyfox's twitter out of curiosity. Dude was just ecstatic that everyone loved the game and responding to everyone and having a blast, even replying a half hour after he said he was going to sleep. After seeing that I just felt like an rear end in a top hat and made the video private, guy at least deserves some time to celebrate on getting the game out.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

This past fortnight has given me two games that I think are absolute classics: MGS5 & Undertale.

I loved MGS5 to bits, but I do have a long list of things that I think could be improved about it, thinks that could be changed, bits of cut content the game feels incomplete without, etc etc.

I would change absolutely nothing about Undertale. Nothing at all.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
After getting the true ending, I'm not sure I actually want to do a murderer playthrough. I'd have to kill Papyrus, and an Undertale without Papyrus is a sad, sad thing.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Finished the game. Loved the credits. I can't stop you, but...Let (PC) be happy.

I am glad I bought some copies for my friends. People need to know about this game.

Also, to Everdraed: gently caress that nightmarish thing to the depths of the Abyss. I am not going to be able to sleep for the next week because of that monstrosity Good job.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 16, 2015

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So re-murder everything run I heard you have to kill all the random encounters in a area to do it, how do you know when they're all dead?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

DrManiac posted:

So re-murder everything run I heard you have to kill all the random encounters in a area to do it, how do you know when they're all dead?

i think save points tell you.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Amalgam Dog is the greatest.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

DrManiac posted:

You'll know because you'll receive a random encounter only to see "But nobody came" followed by the music becoming spooky.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I don't think I can Make myself reset everything just to kill everyone :smith: god drat you flowey.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

BiggerJ posted:

What happens afterward if you don't choose the reset? I wouldn't put it past the insane Toby Fox to have it create a registy entry that prevents you from playing the game again even if you reinstall it.

My game boots up with a black screen every time I try to launch it.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 16, 2015

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Just a reminder (and a few minutes of replacing all the previous image embeds since minus.com is being a real crumb bum) that the

is going on! Best piece of fresh goon fanart depicting characters or scenes from the free demo or trailer posted in this thread by 8PM EST tonight will get an Undertale steam key, and tomorrow at 8PM EST another two best f'arts will score keys. These don't have to be moany lisas, sketches or simple things are cool in my book!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Just did a pacifist run and spoiler follows:

I'm a bit confused. So does my character have a different name than the one I gave them? What's that weird voice that speaks to me what I die? Why do I get this feeling that a lot of these questions can only be answered in a murder route? I really don't want to kill them :smith:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Just did a pacifist run and spoiler follows:

I'm a bit confused. So does my character have a different name than the one I gave them? What's that weird voice that speaks to me what I die? Why do I get this feeling that a lot of these questions can only be answered in a murder route? I really don't want to kill them :smith:

Remember at the start of the game, you were asked to name the fallen child? The game didn't mean the fallen child you're playing as. The one you name was the original fallen child that started all this by dying.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Slime posted:

Remember at the start of the game, you were asked to name the fallen child? The game didn't mean the fallen child you're playing as. The one you name was the original fallen child that started all this by dying.

:stare:

So wait, that's the voice that's speaking to me when I die?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

RadicalR posted:

:stare:

So wait, that's the voice that's speaking to me when I die?

Notice the sound of the speaker's voice. It'll sound really familiar to you if you've beaten the game.

The sound of a desperate monarch, looking to save his people by doing something horrible.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Everdraed posted:

Just a reminder (and a few minutes of replacing all the previous image embeds since minus.com is being a real crumb bum) that the

is going on! Best piece of fresh goon fanart depicting characters or scenes from the free demo or trailer posted in this thread by 8PM EST tonight will get an Undertale steam key, and tomorrow at 8PM EST another two best f'arts will score keys. These don't have to be moany lisas, sketches or simple things are cool in my book!

e:

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 16, 2015

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Whoa, that's a greedy child! it's a good thing the keys aren't being kept in child-accessible bowls or they'd probably be strewn all over the ground with gross kids like that around. But right now it's looking like he's going to bully somebody into giving him one!

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Everdraed posted:

Whoa, that's a greedy child! it's a good thing the keys aren't being kept in child-accessible bowls or they'd probably be strewn all over the ground with gross kids like that around. But right now it's looking like he's going to bully somebody into giving him one!

I promised my friend I'd get her a copy and i intend on taking no prisoners

e: !!!!

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 16, 2015

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Not related to the contest, but I gave away my extra copy for some flowey words over in the Steam Gifting thread:

Princey posted:

It's time for ~FLOWEY'S POETRY CORNER~!

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Somebody is dead
Because of you.

The cup and the wand,
The coin and the sword,
You murdered your friend
Because you were bored.

The butcher, the baker
The farmer, his wife,
With that backstabbing stunt
You could only be Knife

The heroes, the prophets,
They make the world turn,
But you and me, kid,
We'll watch the world burn.

I think it was well deserved.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Cleared a genocidal playthrough.

Sans was some real loving poo poo, like Omega Flowey was loving nightmarish but wasn't actually that hard to beat, Sans is absolutely not loving around. And in the end, my reward was I literally destroyed the universe and now the game boots into a black screen with faint wind noises. Nothing more, granted it was completely worth it because this game never ever stops topping itself with that loving Sans fight.

This is about as good a note to stop playing as any, at least until somebody figures out how to open that loving door.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

This is about as good a note to stop playing as any, at least until somebody figures out how to open that loving door.

speculation is you can't touch any of the special credits from the true end

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Wait a sec if you go the shanky route and get the black screen bootup, how can you continue to play the game? Delete and reinstall?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Magres posted:

Wait a sec if you go the shanky route and get the black screen bootup, how can you continue to play the game? Delete and reinstall?

Unless there is some more fuckery around, all save data is stored in C:\Users\yourusernamehere\AppData\Local\UNDERTALE - deleting that folder should be a total reset.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 16, 2015

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
I can't draw for poo poo but what the gently caress right?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

speculation is you can't touch any of the special credits from the true end

Confirmed for not speculation, that's the real method.

i so cannot be hosed to do that myself right now

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Original Character Design, do not steal

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

haha yeah, i'll just wait for it on youtube if that's the case.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Holy poo poo, no wonder Tony said it's nothing but grief.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

If you Unzip the game (you can literally right-click the executable and choose "extract here" with winzip), there's a credits.txt included in the game. What if you chopped that sucker down to size?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Magres posted:

If you Unzip the game (you can literally right-click the executable and choose "extract here" with winzip), there's a credits.txt included in the game. What if you chopped that sucker down to size?

Have no idea, try it and put the game back together and see if that helps any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Magres posted:

ymgve posted:

Unless there is some more fuckery around, all save data is stored in C:\Users\yourusernamehere\AppData\Local\UNDERTALE - deleting that folder should be a total reset.

Uninstalling-Reinstalling does nothing. Deleting the folder does nothing either.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 16, 2015

• Locked thread