Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
If you hated Undertale's ending you'd hate Gurren Lagann's. :kamina:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
solving everyone's problems forever through the power of acting is really gay and unsatisfying, though. Just pretend the box can't be fixed because there might be a sequel one day.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Normal Adult Human posted:

solving everyone's problems forever through the power of acting is really gay

That's literally mettaton's entire gimmick

E: I'd prefer to trade Alphys's life for goat boy's, because one is adorable and the other is likely to be hired by russia to create bioweaponry asap

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

His point is that there's no soul left to put back in, and the only experimentations with bringing people who've lost their souls back to life via souls and determination were a huge failure. The game makes it clear that, without a soul, you can't live, except for Flowey whose lack of a soul is the whole reason he is alive in the first place. So it wouldn't really make sense in the game's world for it to just spontaneously happen in the name of a happier ending.

This makes me think...Flowey can't feel because he lacks a soul and he knows this, so why doesn't Asgore ever attempt to give him one of the human souls in an attempt to fix it? I mean, Flowey says that he's never been able to get Asgore to show him where the human souls are in any timeline. That implies that, even in timelines where Flowey tells Asgore who he is, Asgore never once backs down from his promise to break the barrier in an attempt to see if he can maybe give his partially resurrected son back his ability to feel and care again. He's as bad of a father as he is a ruler, it seems.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
They were selling Frisk pillows at the mall

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ahhhh yeah, that's the stuff.

Inexplicably swole Frisk is the best interpretation of the character. Now someone needs to combine it with Undyne's tendency to pick the kid up like they don't weigh anything.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Floodkiller posted:

This makes me think...Flowey can't feel because he lacks a soul and he knows this, so why doesn't Asgore ever attempt to give him one of the human souls in an attempt to fix it? I mean, Flowey says that he's never been able to get Asgore to show him where the human souls are in any timeline. That implies that, even in timelines where Flowey tells Asgore who he is, Asgore never once backs down from his promise to break the barrier in an attempt to see if he can maybe give his partially resurrected son back his ability to feel and care again. He's as bad of a father as he is a ruler, it seems.
Because souls aren't interchangeable, at least in that sense. The neutral ending shows this when things spiral out of control, and in the pacifist ending calling out to the lost soul reveals their personality. Sharing Chara's soul meant sharing bodies, and Asriel literally had to fight them over control of his own body. Having a soul is considered a fundamental part of what makes a person a person, and Flowey is practically an abomination against nature because he lacks one.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chibs posted:

that anime owns

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GeneX posted:

That's literally mettaton's entire gimmick

E: I'd prefer to trade Alphys's life for goat boy's, because one is adorable and the other is likely to be hired by russia to create bioweaponry asap

METTATON is cool and strong and makes the best king, actually.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

kw0134 posted:

Because souls aren't interchangeable, at least in that sense. The neutral ending shows this when things spiral out of control, and in the pacifist ending calling out to the lost soul reveals their personality. Sharing Chara's soul meant sharing bodies, and Asriel literally had to fight them over control of his own body. Having a soul is considered a fundamental part of what makes a person a person, and Flowey is practically an abomination against nature because he lacks one.

Yes, but only Flowey knows that this can happen, and he still goes through with the plan to absorb six human souls anyway in the Neutral end, which implies he thinks he could control it anyway. My question was, what's stopping Asgore from trying to help once he knows Flowey is his son, without any of this knowledge? What stops him from ever showing Flowey the souls?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Normal Adult Human posted:

METTATON is cool and strong and makes the best king, actually.

that's the dog, actually

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

GeneX posted:

it's pretty bad that in a game about using the scientifically extricable power of the human soul to do impossible poo poo, you still can't save an innocent goat child

it's one of the few bad decisions in the game, imo; it feels like a punch in the gut for, at best, minimal thematic gain, and at worse, a promise of false hope that if you play it enough, you'll find a way to manage it.

I wish there was a way to play the game like 5 times and vary enough stuff in each run to gently caress with sans' time cop powers to break spacetime and just fix it by changing the past

sorry that the game doesn't give you a perfect ending, and is therefore...bad?

also lol at your argument that a game all about not stressing about minmaxing it to experience all the content should have some super-obscure secret goodest option if you do a bunch of hardcore stuff

like, did you miss literally everything the game was trying to tell you on a metanarrative level

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Chibs posted:

I loved Undertale's ending and hated Gurren Lagann's. :colbert:

Floodkiller posted:

My question was, what's stopping Asgore from trying to help once he knows Flowey is his son, without any of this knowledge? What stops him from ever showing Flowey the souls?

What makes you think that Flowey ever told Asgore that? I don't recall it ever being said (though it's been a while since I've run through it).

Pi In The Sky fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 6, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Floodkiller posted:

he gets 6 human souls and it doesn't make a difference. Human souls are made of determination, not love and compassion like monster souls. He needs a monster soul to feel again.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cleretic posted:

Something I only realized when the comments of a video I was watching yesterday pointed it out: there actually is one instance of a monster surviving through determination.

It's the reason Undyne becomes Undying in the genocide run, and why she melts after you kill her again.

Undyne basically does the main-character-gaining-the-hopes-and-dreams-of-everyone-to-power-up-before-fighting-the-final-boss bit on you and it's completely cool.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Toxxupation posted:

sorry that the game doesn't give you a perfect ending, and is therefore...bad?

also lol at your argument that a game all about not stressing about minmaxing it to experience all the content should have some super-obscure secret goodest option if you do a bunch of hardcore stuff

like, did you miss literally everything the game was trying to tell you on a metanarrative level

every post I make is a combination of hyperbole, sincerity, and sarcasm

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Flowey probably reset when he realised he couldn't feel the love his parents had for him. Manipulating this feeling to obtain the human souls wouldn't have occurred to Flowey because he is literally incapable of understanding love and compassion.

The scenario simply never came up. That's the simplest explanation.

I 100% believe that Asgore would happily die and give Asriel his soul if he thought it would do any good (and this might actually work). But with that soul, Asriel would never allow it, and would simply reset to undo that. Hence the catch 22.

The ending is fine, it's about respecting Asriel's sacrifice.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 6, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GeneX posted:

every post I make is a combination of hyperbole, sincerity, and sarcasm

You two should get along famously.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Pi In The Sky posted:

What makes you think that Flowey ever told Asgore that? I don't recall it ever being said (though it's been a while since I've run through it).
https://youtu.be/iFqwJwH9AUo?t=224

Fangz posted:

The scenario simply never came up. That's the simplest explanation.

Fair enough. I'm not disrespecting the ending, as much as I wish it could be different; I definitely think the story wouldn't have the same impact if you could make everything perfect in the end. I just wanted to think of a reason why Asgore couldn't try more to help with what he had.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hello oxxidation how is life

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
do you think even the worst person can change...? that everybody can be a good person, if they just try?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

McFrugal posted:

do you think even the worst person can change...? that everybody can be a good person, if they just try?

it depends on whether you're talking consequentialist, deontolgical, or aretaic ethics

now let me show you my 200 page dissertation on the meaning of "good" as it pertains to the actions you take in a video game

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

McFrugal posted:

That's funny, your brother asked me the same question. o'u'o

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Ah, that'd explain it. Haven't done a geno yet. Though even if I did, I'd just reset after the Sans fight, considering that and the Undyne fight are the only things that tempt me.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Floodkiller posted:

Fair enough. I'm not disrespecting the ending, as much as I wish it could be different; I definitely think the story wouldn't have the same impact if you could make everything perfect in the end. I just wanted to think of a reason why Asgore couldn't try more to help with what he had.
Another tack is that they did try, and it didn't work or caused some unfortunate things to occur; Flowey's said he's done everything until you show up. I think the story is tight enough that it can be taken as reasonable that any other situation that wasn't explicitly conceived or addressed by the author should be discarded as being a narrative dead-end.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

is oxxidation frisk and toxxupation chara because they both have the same avatar and I AM SO CONFUSED

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

https://youtu.be/iFqwJwH9AUo?t=224

I think this is a problem more on Asgore's end. The guy's terrible at anything close to resembling leadership or decision-making. Hell, he doesn't even absorb the 6 souls in the genocide ending, despite ample warning.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

is oxxidation frisk and toxxupation chara because they both have the same avatar and I AM SO CONFUSED

This is a good setup for someone willing to post the landerig chart

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno man. He outright states that he's gonna turn back into Flowey and start doing poo poo again.

Back into the numb, mind-blind flower thing, not back into the terrified, trapped goat kid hurling himself against the walls of his prison to feel ANYTHING PLEASE GOD HELP.

He's not some pitiable immortal freak doomed to sit in that cave forevermore, he can unmake himself just fine. He was just too twisted up in the aftermath of his tragedy and eventual spiral into crazy to not undo his deaths by reflex. Now that everyone's free and he's had some perspective hugged back into his head, he can repent and let himself fade away into the night without touching that RESET lever anymore. He's done.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

this is a post, to be sure

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

this is a post, to be sure

Totally inaccurate, though.

Everyone knows Toxx is the weird emotional one and I'm the malevolent goblin puppeteering his every thought

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't think a game like Undertale can really support creepypasta. Between Flowey, the genocide run, and Gaster, there isn't anything you could add that would be creepier than what the game already has.

The big scare in most creepypasta stories is when the game address the player instead of the player character. Undertale already does this.

Instead of creepypasta it's just gonna have a bunch of rumors on secret ways to save Asriel like we're back in the age of FF7.

Chara too while we're at it

And the other six souls.

Gaster can hop right in on this as well.

Panic Attack
Oct 29, 2012

Float like a bulldozer
Trying to catch a butterfly

Oxxidation posted:

Everyone knows Toxx is the weird emotional one and I'm the malevolent goblin puppeteering his every thought

I didn't know that

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

hello oxxidation how is life

oh my god

how long have you two had the same avatar

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looper posted:

oh my god

how long have you two had the same avatar

A while back someone switched their avatars, making things even more confusing for a while, before they were switched back, and now Toxx has Oxx's again. It's some sort of running thing now.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation posted:

yes, let's figure out our undertalesonas, yes. let's really dig deep into this. i have so many unanswered questions. i need to know, oxx. spare no detail, we need to hash this poo poo out

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Toxxupation posted:

yes, let's figure out our undertalesonas, yes. let's really dig deep into this. i have so many unanswered questions. i need to know, oxx. spare no detail, we need to hash this poo poo out

im spaghettikin

E: So as to not shitpost more than I already am, I'm honestly curious what people like about the game. I know I'm a humongous fan of the characters, music, and humor, and I really appreciate the semi-hidden narrative involving time travel and quasi-extant skeleton scientists.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the fights, and I think the graphics could be better, or at least more varied.

Why do you guys like (or dislike) about the game?

Jen X fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 6, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fangz posted:

I 100% believe that Asgore would happily die and give Asriel his soul if he thought it would do any good (and this might actually work). But with that soul, Asriel would never allow it, and would simply reset to undo that.

Since this is almost literally how boss monsters having kids in the game works (having a kid dooms your own soul to eventual destruction), I think it's pretty obvious he would yeah.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I'm personally a big fan of the good stuff, not so hot about the average bits, and if I have one serious problem with this game, it's definitely the bad parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

having a kid dooms your own soul to eventual destruction

Monsters: Not so different from humans after all.

And because we all need a little bit of light, hope and determination in this thread:

http://serain.tumblr.com/post/136327233097/seeing-all-the-great-undertale-fanart-it-fills

This may have been posted before, but it's getting harder to find good stuff. There's a rising tide of weirdness out there right now.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 6, 2016

• Locked thread