Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Everdraed posted:

Woo, lots of great entries for the

Just 5ish more hours for the first key give away to the best (though it looks like it might be a pretty narrow 'best' at this point!) Undertale fanart!

Once again, the best piece of fresh goon fanart depicting characters or scenes from the free demo or trailer posted in this thread by 8PM EST tonight will get an Undertale steam key, and tomorrow at 8PM EST another two best f'arts will score keys. Thanks to everybody who's submitted so far!

Alright, this is literally based on two minutes watching a youtube video of someone playing the demo (since I want to go in blind), so I don't know if this actually represents the game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Everdraed posted:

I'll shoot you a PM with a key and, uh, maybe you can tell me if it's just the game as I assume? I have no idea, as it seems a knowing dog is too tied up by all sorts of strange attentions.

Thanks a lot!

(Yes, it's just the game as you assume.)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm not saying he's a total monster or that he didn't mean well for everyone, monster and human, I'm just saying the dude is so wracked with indecision that his path of least resistance involves killing innocent children if one of the previous six humans is concerned.

Enh, they are probably just jerks that lacked Determination.

Finished the game, woo. And gotten the happy perfect ending, woo.

Now to never do the Genocide route.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Dang, so I did miss out on the post-game scene with Asriel. Does anyone know where I can find that?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

During the post-game, go all the way back to the beginning. The Ruins have been opened now.

That's what I assumed, but it seems like it doesn't work if you've already seen the ending credits. I guess Asriel is home now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Zerilan posted:

I hope that comic ends up being a shonen manga style comic starring Undyne.

It needs to be a shoujo manga about everyone going doki doki for Papyrus, obviously.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

The thing about that is the Fallen is absolutely one of those "as long as there is evil" non-corporeal things. It can't be fought or killed because it's the abstract representation of the need to fight and kill stuff. The best you can hope for is to repress its temptation through pacifism.

The real way to achieve victory over it would be to somehow bring Asriel back. His unhappiness and eventual reversion to Flowey is the one tiny triumph the Fallen still manages to pull out in a True Pacifist run. By returning Asriel's SOUL, the Fallen wouldn't just have utterly lost, its schemes would have inadvertently reunited humans and monsters and brought about the kind of peace that would make its wicked DETERMINATION near-impossible to return.

On that topic it would be good instead to have you go back to talk to Flowey after the True Ending, so that he wouldn't have to be alone. And maybe if he couldn't get a soul he could be made into an amalgam or something? That might be a step up.

Or just toss him in the Determination extractor so that he could have some peace at last.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 21, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

RealSovietBear posted:

I've heard this too. I hope this gets fixed :/ I couldn't walk all the way back because it was like 3AM when I finished the game.

I don't think it's a bug. Asriel disappears so that no one will worry about him and be sad. :smith:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Thanks! That clears up some parts.

I am still a bit curious about the player naming the fallen and how the game sorta treats it as Frisk's name/identity until beating Asriel. It mostly confuses me in terms of whose perspective we are playing for most of it, or if Frisk has their own personality/agency being reflected in either routes.

Another note, was Asriel's body after returning from the human village one of the subjects for the lab experiments? The notes about one particular candidate being a surprise for Asgore and being related to the golden flowers, etc. lead me to believe it might be the case.

Sorry if my readings of the situation are off; only just beat it a few hours ago and it's impossible to go back to re-read text with this one.

For the empty soulless vessel experiment Alphys used a flower that grew from the dust Asriel turned into after he died.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The thing that got me about that boss is the variety of attacks, yeah. It took me ages to figure out you could shoot the disco balls to switch the lasers. That and the ratings mechanic would induce a sense of panic because of numbers ticking down.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Dolash posted:

It doesn't stop, even if you win. I tried reopening the game and there's the flower, telling me everyone's happy in the best ending and resetting the timeline to play again is exactly the sort of playing god I was fighting against. Looks like I can never play this game again, then! What, uninstall it? Manually delete saves? Are you crazy? Now I've got to carry this save around for the rest of my life!

It stings a little that he's right when he says when Asriel stops fighting you and trying to destroy everyone, you run out of reasons to keep 'playing' and have to let them go. It's always seemed ironic to me that a hero decisively defeating a villain actually dooms the world, because it ends the story and the characters can only 'live' while there's story to tell. Of the two extreme endings, the genocide one is probably closer to true, since you've purged the game world and can leave it a barren husk if you want, while the best ending doesn't actually mean all the characters are off being happy somewhere.

The characters live on... in your heart. :love:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ironically, I named my fallen child Lisa.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

On the topic of naming, I read this article just before playing, which I thought was apropos.

https://heterogenoustasks.wordpress.com/2015/05/28/enter-your-name/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well said.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I tend to give Sans the voice of Bob Ross.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

Rocketlex' talk kinda made me think. He does have a point and the game in fact acknowledges it in that fighting enemies until they want to run away and you just have to let them is a legitimate option even for a true pacifist run. But the thing is, it's just about never THE solution.

Back in the demo, the only way to spare Vegetoid was to fight them until their health was low and then spare them and I kinda wonder if changing it so everyone has an [ACT] option for sparing might have been a mistake? Demo Vegetoid made it so that not only was there a point to fighting even in a pacifist run, more importantly it made it so there was a point to not hit at full power. I actually made it a point to avoid the center of the fight bar just because I wanted Vegetoid to leave me alone, but I didn't want to kill them. After all, if you're acting in self defense you ideally want to disable your opponent, not murder them.

So I kinda wonder if the full version lost something the demo had going. I get the point of making it so that you never have to resort to violence except when you do, but on the other hand it strongly de-emphasised acting in self defense but holding back and without the intent to kill.

Enh, I actually wonder the opposite - whether the 'beat them down to low HP, then spare them' mechanic should have been removed entirely. I mean, in a realistic context that's a weird sort of morality. It's not actually self defense, it's actively being violent in a scenario that you can fairly easily escape from, motivated by the fact that doing this instead of running away means that you 'win' and obtain monetary reward from the victim. You're less like a peace-lover defending yourself here, and more a sort of mugger!

Perhaps it would be better if it were changed so that it merely raises Flee probabilities, and not enable Spare at all. I think the vegetoid decision is wise because it means the distinction between Fight and Act is that Fight is explicitly a hostile and destructive approach, while Act involves trying to engage with the social situation. So act encompasses things like fake-hitting, eating the vegetoid in a non-hostile way (??), insults and picking on them, etc. Even when you are shooting bullets at Metaton, the fact that you aren't doing it inside of FIGHT signifies that you are really playing along with his TV show, not actually trying to kill him.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 22, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Doesn't eating the vegetoid give you XP?

I mean the Dinner command. Never got any EXP for that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

I don't think there's much of a gimmick to it. The only thing I know you can do is talk to him and tell him how many times he's killed you so far. It lowers some of his stats for a turn I think. Use "Check" to confirm. Also, eating the pie Torriel gave you affects him too but slim chance you still have that.

It lowers his stats permanently. So the cheap way to win is to just lose to him repeatedly and keep guilt tripping him until that doesn't work any more.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Meis posted:

Apparently Toriel's name is a pun? I don't get it though????? can someone??????????? explain the pun?????????????????????? to me??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Tutoriel

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Extreme0 posted:

Oh god, I want the Papyrus wacky emoticon but it's not even on the market and I bet if it was...it cost over £10.

There really needs to be a winking Sans smilie.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Serenade posted:

I think it has a similar appeal to horror on a conceptual level. It's terrible and painful at times but you're free at any moment to stop, which means you can regroup to push though at your own pace and there's no dire consequences for curiosity. Anecdotes about rubbernecking at car crashes comes to mind.

One of the unique parts of Undertale is how mass murder has more meaningful consequences than other games. If you slaughter everyone you can in Skyrim, nothing particularly bad happens. Maybe you get a bounty that you can pay off, maybe you have to fight some guards, but nothing really changes. Do that in Dishonored and I think the ending cutscene changes and nothing else. In Undertale, if you kill a character, they're gone and other characters may not be happy about that. Go too far and some characters will go out of their way to deal with you.

I generally agree.

I'm reminded of how I heard a dev say recently that their rule of thumb for immersion in their rpg game world will be allowing people to kill everyone and still complete the main plotline and get the best ending. Which made me facepalm intensely. I kinda feel like the industry has attached itself too closely to this model, ostensibly in the name of player choice. But what you are really saying is that you are taking away consequences from the player, you're saying that the conclusion of your grand quest to save the world is essentially unconnected to whether the player sociopathically slaughters everyone within it. That's ludicrous to any idea of an emotionally resonant narrative. What compounds this is that too many games make almost all of your methods of interacting with people that of well, killing them. It's great that Undertale has a mechanically satisfying system for non-violent resolutions.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

I think some monsters are just ghosts, like Blooky and the dummy brothers. It's sort of like how Papyrus and Sans are skeletons without actually being dead people.

Maybe humans are just some horrible hybrid of skeletons, ghosts and.... dogs?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tenasscity posted:

Do you have, the DETERMINATION?

I'd like to see a final chapter. But I totally understand if Toby doesn't. I don't want the game to jump the comical shark themed monster.

Yeah, no. The point of completionism being in conflict with empathy with respect to the narrative is thematically important. Asking for a real-ultimate-100%-happy ending up-ends the entire message of the game. Ultimately the solution to Asriel is to respect HIS determination to not spoil everyone's happy ending.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, I'm seeing good fan art from artists I like so fandom giveth also I guess.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tetracube posted:

What triggers the npc at the ruins in postgame? I went back and there's nobody here.

I'm afraid you have to go see it before you see the ending credits. Once you reload the game after talking to Flowey he is no longer there.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Frog Fractions 2 will be Undertale 2.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Countblanc posted:

its weird how many characters are willing to date a human child

I feel like a lot of these monsters don't necessarily know what dating is.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Yes? Again, he reconfigured the core under Alphys' nose and hired a pile of mercenaries to kill you in there. He clearly has some capacity for underhandedness and deception, and he only confronts you directly when you are literally steps away from the castle.

I don't think Metatton would do it if it didn't involve either (a) entertaining the viewing audience, or (b) making Alphys look good by having her help you. I don't think he's actually really genuinely interested in killing you. So I don't really think what happened with Muffet was his doing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Man, someone *should* make Undertale: The Musical.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

Okay so umm. I... finished? The game for the first time.

I killed Asgore, had the big fight with weird photoshop Flowery, and the save takes me back to before Asgore. Do I have to do something from there or do I start the game over for other playthrough stuff?

Did you get any EXP?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think it's wrong to assume the other humans are other Frisks, and not well, rather closer in nature to Flowey. And even for Frisk, a lot of his benevolence is owed to the actions of Toriel. Imagine just falling down into the garbage heap and no one tells you can ACT, and your first encounters are Mad Dummy and Flowey. Or just running away from Toriel in the Ruins, hurting yourself on the traps, and killing some monsters because you need to level up.

Nobody ever talks about how nice the other six humans were, and the people who are most friendly are exactly the ones who know the least about them. Stuff like the 'fallen down' monsters in the True Lab suggests a lot of monsters got killed around the same time that a human got taken down - I don't think that's coincidental. And of monsters have absorbed human culture, they'd know that humans in their media like to kill monsters.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

this is what's going to happen, fwiw

it's the most "early 2000's game forum" site I've seen in a long time. you can't even use avatars on that site by default

All you need is for people to become convinced that the retro-ness is part of the Gaster ARG, then bam.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SereneCrimson posted:

So I've been stuck for like 4 days on the <---- Sans ---> fight.

Set your determination level to whatever you feel is appropriate.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

No one's even bought a smilie yet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

That's not even what I mean, I think in a vacuum isolated from the context of a genocide run that boss fight is still totally fair. Hard=/=unfair.

I think this is a silly pedantic argument, but Sans pretty blatantly cheats in terms of the mechanics of the game as presented, so in that sense it's an unfair fight - but that's the point.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

So I definitely hosed up, uh?

You'll still get the neutral ending, but you'll have to restart to get the True one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I thought the neutral boss was fine because the game had already been escalating the meta-ness at that point, what with the reveal of what EXP and LOVE was, and ASGORE directly attacking your Mercy button. It seemed a reasonable end point of that. Also there were noticeable hints of Flowey's activities throughout the game, see e.g. Papyrus talking to a flower etc. Once I go through New Home, a mirror of Toriel's place, walk into the throne room and see a field of yellow flowers, I totally expected to see Flowey again.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 30, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

As far as I remember, that boss only crashed the game once for me. (And that's at the very start.) So yeah...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The encounter with Muffet is noticeably different from the other encounters because Alphys doesn't even know what happened, and in my playthrough at least, you survive only due to the lucky chance arrival of the telegram, not through your ACTions.

Given the lack of cameras in the Ruins, it doesn't make sense that Mettaton would really even know about the spiders there enough to make stuff up about you abusing them. And the transformation of Mettaton to his EX form only happens once and seems permanent, so Muffet describing him as such requires a rather contrived combination of not having ever watched TV, and Mettaton choosing to demo his transformation directly in front of her.

Also it totally fits in with Flowey's MO throughout the game - feed people lies to make them do stuff. It doesn't fit Mettaton's motive (to teach Alphys a lesson) to have the Human just disappear into a cave and never come out.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Does anyone know what Alphys's name is a reference to? That's the one name I don't really get...

• Locked thread