Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

these days i just work off the premise that anything i really like must be shameful garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

But how else are we supposed to compensate for being ugly on the inside?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Flowey is a shadow entity beyond monster society and Mettaton is a TV mogul. Who do you think has more dosh to offer?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

UT made the finals, loving lol

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Sounds like a spaghetti western :tem:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Do they polish the fraud off the vote tallies before or after the match is resolved? 176 thousand votes total seems a little unreal for a single battle.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I click on "Undertale" in these things because this thing is legit something special

truthfully though, I mainly click on the poll links in the first place because it might make a lovely person squirm somewhere

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Avocados posted:

Ive owned this game for a month now and I've only put 10 minutes into it. Help me get into this goons :smith:

toriel's battle theme is pretty boss, surely you can clamber that far

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

how me a frog posted:

Is it actually true that Undertale is a game about being nice and non-conflicty? I thought the bad time one was canon.

I think it's safe to say that the rainbows-and-gumdrops ending is the "true" one while the Final Solution path is more like post-epilogue content

e: the neutral path clues you to try harder to save everybody, the pacifist run reveals most of the plot and genocide gives more context to the shithead kid that comes up during the second one

scamtank fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 16, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

After you get the happy ending, even Flowey mentions that the only way the timeline is getting reset anymore is if you specifically start loving with it again. He's found his peace, the loop's done.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

how the gently caress did this turn into a debate

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Makes sense that Muffet would be the weird one outside normal monster society, being a Kickstarter initiative and all

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah. I can imagine that he was such an internally ruined pushover after The Incident that once the rage and grief evaporated, he didn't have the rocks to go and do the hunting himself anymore. Given what Chara can read from his diary, these days the dude seems to be investing most of his time, energy and floor space into putting on a brave face.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Playing games good and putting out good commentary at the same time is loving hard.

Why he couldn't shut up for one minute to focus on the game, that I can't explain.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Danaru posted:

dumb loveable goat nerd

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That sounds like it makes sense, but didn't Asriel himself say that he retook the wheel and aborted the plan at the last minute only because he caught a mental glimpse of the massive murder boner the kid was harboring?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Task list
  • OPEN CRATE
  • :petdog:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The GIG posted:

My current favorite joke theory I've read is the dialogue choices on the left are Frisk's and the ones on the right are Chara's and I say this because it gives me an excuse to post this.

I don't know which one's the funnier path, going balls-out Tumblr on her or being totally straightlaced and serious and just watching her reach critical mass without any help

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

despite every channel recommendation on YouTube screaming Undertale streams at me, the most contact I'd had before playing was "man the music behind this robot quiz thing is rad as gently caress" and then after I had a weird deja-vu experience from seeing the Undertale thread pop up again the same as it was several years ago I just sort of mooshed Buy without really knowing why

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

If Alphys was a human wouldn't we make fun of them for being super goony and not endearing at all?

we've developed a pretty instant understanding that people being really into the animes is a red flag that they're real ugly on the inside

the jury's still out for yellow triceratops things, and that small difference is enough that she still gets a fair shake at winning you over

scamtank fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 27, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

I'm a bit more forgiving of Alphys' manipulations, considering that she knows that the human child is headed for a confrontation with Asgore, and she knows that can only end with one of them dead. Alphys cares about the human, and she cares about Asgore, so it's not hard to understand that she does some bad things to keep them from meeting.

I felt a little less betrayed when I learned that she just kicks down the hoops she's set up if you really start struggling

she's a sadbrain who's so desperate to get out of the mire she's in that she slips a harness around you without asking, not a narcissist who throws lives in the fire to avoid feeling bad

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Alphys didn't actually deliberately drop you into the lab, did she?

flowey is definitely loving with the elevators on the way out, not a far stretch to assume that he burns that bridge too

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Before I knew anything about this Gaster dude, I had thought that Sans was the previous royal scientist who designed the DT machine. It seemed plausible given what he seems to know about advanced science (monitoring spacetime, his quantum physics book, later his secret lab), time travel and Determination, his skull beam cannon attacks (which I now know are called "Gaster Blasters"). I wonder what the relationship between Sans and Gaster is... I kinda find the whole Gaster thing weird and hard to fit into anything, like maybe there was a reason he was cut? Or is he a confirmed part of the game, if only accessible through weird ini file tweaks?

I like to imagine that Gaster went the way of U-235 and split into the two skeletons we know. The few remaining shreds we can find of the guy are the released energy, protons and other crap.

e: how do we know that he got annihilated in the Core, anyway? yeah he totally got sucked into the DT extractor, the machine "extracted" whatever it interpreted as determination, the output stuff coalesced into Papyrus and Sans is the remainder half which totally works because monsters are just blobs of magic anyway

scamtank fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 27, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

same, except his little boy-type talking is delivered by Earl Boen

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hahaha let me tell you about YouTube,

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

having a few monsters' worth of blood on my hands in my first run, getting slapped with the "But there was nothing left to say." response when talking freed me from those sorts of delusions pretty quick

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

hey has anyone said "requiem for a Dreemurr" yet

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

I don't think my buddy is getting the message of Genocide yet.

Remember the dying knight near the start of Dark Souls who gives you the healing flask? There's people who just stomp him and scream OOOOWWWWNEEDDDDDDDDDDDDD loving OWNED

I guess what I'm asking is are you friends with DarkSydePhil

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

Now imagine a dumpy lizard whos dtf 24/7.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Would Undyne be Raiden?

the monster kid is better at operating swords with their teeth and feet

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

his mind is taking an adorable quest to hug random strangers as some sort brain-crashing eldritch geometry

this rules

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

JerryLee posted:

I guess if I heard someone say "Man, I don't even recognize Undertale as a game," I would assume it was a rhetorical way of expressing how much they feel it and its success subvert all the usual expectations, and not BEEP BOOP CANNOT IDENTIFY UNDERTALE AS GAME, ABORT/RETRY/FAIL?

given that the rest of the context is him being so absolutely baffled by this thing the kids are into these days that there's no room for anything else, uh

I can understand giving any dogpiled guy the benefit of the doubt but this guy has an established history of being his sincere self, for better or worse

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Rarargh internet man don't like game aargh

ya but in doing so hes falling over tangled in his own shoelaces whilst farting

this amuses us

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Maybe I can recommend some? My favourite Undertale fanfiction is Tove Jansson's Moomin series.

ugh don't even mention that sjw poo poo

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

it's refreshing to see toriel portrayed more like a battleaxe tbh

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

splitting video game player cretins into categories based on what they get out of games is like a 25-year-old art at this point

the basic dichotomy was something like explorers, socializers, overachievers and playerkillers

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Alphys is the exact person to let's play Undertale for the undernet but being too afraid of mean comments to give it a proper go without some dry practice first

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

quote:

Lithromantic (also known as akoi(ne)romantic or apromantic) is a romantic orientation on the aromantic spectrum. Somebody who is lithromantic can feel romantic attraction towards others and also enjoy being in romantic relationships but only in theory.

but a triumph in spelling makes mad dummy there court microcline, i guess

and aroflux I suppose means rolling all over the aromantic spectrum, but the first result on Google says everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

do they have a label yet for someone who can only relax enough to maintain human contact with someone that is definable by at least this many identifiers

the way I figure that should get some severe mileage

• Locked thread