Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Jetamo posted:

Maybe I've missed something, but what was the deal with (true pacifist)the phonecall you get after turning the power back on in the True Lab?

(True Pacifist Spoilers) It's Flowey/Asriel calling to gloat about how you have all the souls in one place so he can ascend into his weird power fantasy form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

opaopa13 posted:

Alright, something that's been bothering me. True Final Golden Ending spoilers:

I still can't reconcile Asgore and Toriel loving Chara like their own child, Asriel loving them like a sibling, wanting nothing more in their final moments of their boss battle to not lose Chara again, being willing to relive everything just to have more time with Chara, etc., with Chara ALSO being an abusive sociopath who was willing to commit suicide just to have a shot at destroying the human race. I kinda get it, if you assume Chara was skilled enough at manipulation to dupe the entire Dreemurr family, it just doesn't sit right. Especially not with Asriel right at the end going, "Oh yeah, I guess Chara was pure evil, my impulse to slaughter that village must have been them all along." Maybe absorbing the collective souls of an entire civilization gives you that kind of perspective??

It feels like the only way the final moments of the final battle make sense are if Asriel is able to confuse Frisk with Chara, which is weird if Frisk is 100% genuinely peaceful and Chara wanted to see the world burn. I'm able to just go with it, but I wish I could make just a little more sense of it.

Hm.

I think you can read it with Chara being troubled-but-not-completely-insane. A Chara who is a little suicidal, who has a hate on for humans because of whatever unhappy reason sent them to the mountain where people disappear, and who wants to take down the barrier to let the monsters out and (probably) restart the war is... sympathetic, if not exactly /good/, and consistent with basically everything except the last part of No Mercy. (I don't think you can square that except by suggesting that 'well, okay, maybe a couple centuries sitting soulless in a grave doesn't do good things for your psyche')

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Oxyclean posted:

Somewhere late into my run, I was expecting the game to have some big secret reason or twist for why going on a genocide run might be a thing to do. That there was some dark secret that wasn't being revealed, and most of everyone was nowhere as good as they seemed, and releasing the monsters upon the world would be a bad thing. I guess I was just expecting the game to prove Flowey right at some point, particularly after sparing him and him telling me to go without gaining any EXP. I was super worried that everything would go bad and he'd mock me for where my friendship got me.

Well, to be fair, he does! on a neutral pacifist he'll lament that you didn't get a better ending, even though you saved everyone. In the True Pacifist ending, he grabs literally everyone's souls because they all showed up to support you. I mean, Anime Being Real and all that, you still manage to save him, too, but he's manipulating you into it and it's obvious why.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

As a Millennial I posted:

Is there a consensus on why he gives you the hint about the good ending? I know some have said it's so that you'll bring him everyone's soul, but my first impression (maybe just out of naivety :shobon:) was that he was helping me because I spared him. Though if he remembers stuff across resets, so much for that...

He makes it pretty explicit in the true ending proper that he does it so that you'll gather everyone together so that he can eat them, I seem to recall, with his sudden switch from 'I can't believe this!' to 'You're all so STUPID, all your souls are mine'

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Seyser Koze posted:

So i did the neutral route, then the evil route, then the good route planning to then reset/delete data, do the best ending last, and end on a high note.

So.

Is it true that if you have the Steam version it's impossible to erase the Bad Thing and start fresh? Because if so then drat.

Not /impossible/, but more difficult, since you have to break the Steam Cloud version of the save/Bad Thing File before you can remove your own. There should be a guide or two online by now.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

BillmasterCozb posted:

Hey Everdraed, is it ok to use that Sans salt shaker gif as an avatar? If yes, could you please post the gif, as I can't find it?

Hm. It probably doesn't qualify as a spoiler absent the knowledge that it relates to a final boss... You might be able to compress it down a little using an editing tool.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Urban Wizard posted:

I don't know what it is about this game, but some people seem incapable of grasping how to play it. I mean, I struggled with the concept of sparing monsters until I got to Toriel, but I'm talking about people incapable of beating boss battles because they won't bring healing items like your friend. Someone I know started playing it today and they got held up by the colored switch puzzle in the ruins. And the leaf path puzzle in the ruins. Like, I don't think these are hard concepts??? :confused:

Apparently the leaf path used to have another pair of turns, but that was removed.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Augus posted:

If I want to show a family member this game, is there an easy way to reset the game so that all of the multiple route interactions are gone and they could start completely fresh? Obviously it's be weird if my brother started a new game and right off the bat was being accused of murder

C:\Users\SomeGoon\AppData\Local\UNDERTALE is the save directory -- deleting/moving all files in this folder will fully reset the game unless you have completed a genocide run.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

toanoradian posted:

Is Tem Armor worth it? I don't think I'll get any exp because I'm sparing everyone (except Jerry, who I don't think is sparable?) and as such I'm stuck with 20 hp and I'm already struggling to survive a combo of either Woshua+Moldbygg or Double Davis.

Tem Armor's price goes down as you die -- just keep playing, if you ever get to a point where it wouldn't be a ton of effort to buy the tem armor, consider it. Otherwise, just remember to bring lots of bicicles to boss fights, and you should do okay.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Ometeotl posted:

I mean, Toriel treats Frisk like they are basically a toddler.

On the other hand, other characters see nothing wrong with Frisk dating, so who knows.

Well, Toriel is Toriel.

And other characters probably don't have a great notion of what human development looks like, especially given the human history they do know.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Oxyclean posted:

Nah, I think the whole point is XP makes the game easier. Also keep in mind a neutral run is even just 1 EXP.

Although, On a pacifist run, talking to Asgore 3 times will lower his ATK/DEF, but with a single point of EXP you'll just get "But there was nothing to say" after telling him how many times he's killed you. That's really the only thing I can think of being harder.

Undyne's bullets default to faster or slower depending on how much you've pissed her off (murder level is part of this -- also stuff like saving mkid)

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Zamujasa posted:

I thought that "the plan" was Fallen offs themselves, Asriel absorbs soul to pass through barrier, Fallen gets to re-experience the world they left.

Except that Fallen/Asriel had split control over the body, and Fallen revealed true intentions by picking up their dead (real) body and carrying it out with them, then going to the village they came from, intentionally enraging the village with intent to murder them all. Asriel specifically pulls away from that and forces themselves back into the Underground, before expiring.
The game makes it out like they were misled about what was happening and became an unwilling partner in all of this.

The bit about "controlling all of space/time by absorbing all SOULs" is also revealed to just be a plot not to control everyone, but to rewind time, possibly to before Fallen did anything. Remember, at that point, Asriel still thinks that you (player) are them (Fallen).

This game is a mess.

e:f;b

No, the plan is to go through and kill six humans for their souls to break the barrier. Asriel has the line 'Six, right? We just have to get six...' in one of the videos. Whether Chara also planned at that time to become god and murder everything is left ambiguous. Asriel refused to murder the humans for their souls.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

the wildest rear end posted:

What can The Fallen even do against humans? Humans aren't hurt by MURDEROUS INTENT and hitting people with a torn up notebook wont really accomplish much

This is probably Why The Fallen prizes the Real Knife so very, very much.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

If there's one thing I'm a little sad about regarding the full game versus the demo, it's that the instruction manual bits had to be removed. Those were great.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

distactedOne posted:

I mean, I know you can't gain EXP that way in the final game, I'm talking specifically about the demo here.

It was true in the demo, as far as I remember.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

GeneX posted:

You can, but I do think that adding two alternate endings (stay in the ruins, let Asgore take your soul) would be nice.

I'm sure someone's already justified the lack of that stuff as part of the deep themes of undertale, but really, I do think that they should exist. For much the same reasons that the Genocide and Pacifist runs exist, actually: the "choice" (whether explicitly "yes/no" or implicit, as in continuing on the path the game forces you on) is meaningless without knowing the alternative.

Eeeh. I could see a cute Golden Sun-Esque stay in the ruins option that gave you maybe a short cutscene and a non-standard game over, but as far as the other, Flowey has absolutely no reason to let Asgore live, given what he's trying to push you towards.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

8-Bit Scholar posted:

None of the videos showed me, can you say what it does?

It changes the true pacifist ending's post-credits scene. If you don't go with Toriel, the photo has Frisk's face swapped for Chara's, and all the other faces on the photo have red Xs over them. If you do go with Toriel, after she drops the pie off and leaves, Chara wakes up and laughs evilly. Both of these also change the music to one of the genocide run super-slowed down songs.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Oxxidation posted:

I think that some of the hidden file tampering this game does is illicit on consoles, especially the crap they pull at the end of Genocide. It's not likely.

Is a system data file that rare? That's all the persistence really needs -- you wouldn't need the fancy shenanigans as much on consoles, would you?

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Spiritus Nox posted:

While we're talking about Chara, it's worth noting that Chara is explicitly not the player. They're fairly self-aware and willing to act as the player's avatar to a point, but they are explicitly not you, simply a vessel which you inhabit as you enter the fictional space of Undertale; possibly one that is shaped by you, but also one that explicitly rejects your control at the end of the genocide run.

Well, it's a little weird, in that the Fallen Kid/Chara is directly called out as the player in that little post True-Pacifist stinger. For a character with about 30 seconds of screentime they're rather overloaded, considering that they serve the role of a player avatar, a major character in the tragic backstory of the underground, and the patron demon of RPG grinding, who comes whenever their name is called by being entered at a character naming screen. These don't really mesh, and the True Pacifist and Genocide treatments of them seem to directly conflict with each other.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

McFrugal posted:

When you examine Alphys' anime collection, it's described as "not historically accurate" or something like that.

What's wrong with the graphics, music, etc? Undertale is a relatively small game, compared to say, FF6.

Actually, rather the opposite. The entire ROM of Final Fantasy III, containing everything your SNES needs to play it... is about 3 Megabytes. By contrast, steam reports that undertale's disk usage is 149 Megabytes -- So it's about 50 times larger.

I suspect a lot of that is using .OGG for the music rather than actual chiptunes using the SNES' sound.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I wonder how much of that is just Photoshop Flowey assets.

I'm not sure what we're supposed to spoil in this thread or not anymore.

The various graphical assets are about 30MB when extracted from everything, it looks like. This includes the neutral final boss. Music/sound is definitely the big spender, the giant collection of OGG files is just shy of 90MB

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

BillmasterCozb posted:

the point of the game is that you will do anything the game tells you to because it is a videogame and you are playing it, and then shows you "but what if the poo poo we tell you to do turns out to have negative effects on everyone in the game?"

I think this was done way better by Shadow of the Colossus. It's a lot more effective when It's not the disembodied system message telling you to do the terrible, but the obviously sinister Dark God directing you via the sword of GPS and a few bits of dialogue.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

The Croc posted:

I believe there is

Not quite.

There IS an ending for the Annoying Dog becoming King of the Underworld, but that's for only killing the four characters who /can/ become ruler. (Toriel, Papyrus, Mettaton, Asgore) and absolutely noone else.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Dreggon posted:

i wonder if there is a fast and easy way to set up saves for all the fun encounters (boss fights, dates)

let me see if i can list them

1. napstablook
2. toriel
maybe not the guard dogs, there's too many of them
3. papyrus
4. papyrus date
5. sans date 1
6. undyne
7. undyne date
8. alphys date
9. mettaton's encounters? there's a lot, but the news and cooking sections were both fun
10. the two royal guards
11. sans date 2
12. mettaton
13. sans date 3, if you know what i mean
14. asgore
15. after asgore
16. after after asgore
17. pacifist completion

am i missing any?

You're missing the Heroine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

ThePutty posted:

i watched the pacifist ending and i thought it was just schmaltz, all your friends come back and cheer you on and you beat the main boss through the power of love and he's actually a little kid who talks to you and loves you and ugh

also the EXP/LOVE subversion was dumb and really forced, they couldn't even fit the E into level of violence properly

Did you only watch the last battle and ending? If so, you missed most of the content driving that reveal and that character, which... makes it quite a bit less saccharine, in retrospect.

• Locked thread