Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought the ending for the genocide run was pretty interesting.

I find it tends to fall flat when games just tell you you did I bad thing. Yeah I did choose to take the obviously morally incorrect option you gave me, so what. But Undertale doesn't do that - it puts you directly into the shoes of a villain by showing that you'll go on a methodical rampage and sever any emotional attachment you had to the characters just because there's nothing else left to do. It's a good explanation of Flowey's motives and a meta-message on completionism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think the game ever makes any moral criticism of you. Sans is certainly saying "gently caress you" from his perspective as an in-game character but he never says you're a bad person - he just points out the absurdity of what you are doing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

UberJew posted:

It's Flowey who criticizes you for watching rather than killing yourself. I don't think Flowey is actually a vehicle for toby's opinion :v:
If anything I think what the genocide run is trying to do is justify Flowey being a redeemable character in the pacifism route.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The second room of Hell in Cave Story is frustrating but I don't think it's legitimately unfair in the same way that the genocide boss is.

e: I was thinking about the second one, not the first.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

I don't think Sans is unfair at all.
It is intentionally unfair. Eg the initial attack and the things that change between runs to trick you. He's certainly beatable, but he's designed to be frustrating.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's a Steam thread OP with grey people listed. Maybe it's missing some info but at least it's readable.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=520337707

I saw some rumblings in the thread that maybe it's a system time related puzzle since Gaster is scattered in time, which would kindof make sense. Maybe it's just intended for a future patch though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Money didn't seem that important in the pacifist run - you don't need weapons and your tiny HP pool means you don't need expensive food either.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Speaking of Sans:
There's something lying around in his secret room that looks a bit like a code. I haven't seen anyone mention it before, do people already know what it means?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoxUZmuZr8M

I'm seeing Japanese characters in it but that's probably wrong.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's what your character says, but looks a lot like a sequence of four symbols rather than blueprints to me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

People are still figuring its blueprints and somehow tied to Gaster, and or Sans' time travelling ability. I can't remember if the game outright says the machine under the tarp is a time machine or if that's just what everyone is figuring. Also IIRC the lab logs state that Alphy made the Determination machine from blueprints that weren't hers.
I guess, but the text for them does say "you can't read the symbols they're written in... or maybe it's just the handwriting", which reinforces the idea that it's some kind of code. This seems like a reasonable in-game Gaster lead.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean if you want total immersion from a game you're probably not going to get it out of a game that constantly makes jokes about genre conventions and game mechanics.

Flowey does feel rather out of left-field at the end of a neutral run though - I felt the save/load metaplot didn't fit that well at that point. He has a bit more setup if you've gone straight to pacifist.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

This game is confusing me. I kill Papyrus in my first run and Undyne is, unsurprisingly, not very happy with me. I don't kill him in my second run and she doesn't even care. In fact, her intro had her being more angry. :pwn:

I now understand why she's so anime though.
She isn't angry at you personally this time, she just really wants that seventh soul.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You have to clear each area before fighting its boss to stay on the route.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 1, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I found a Reddit post with transcripts of most neutral endings. The not-quite-genocide one is especially interesting.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Undertale/comments/3mq3bg/spoilers_how_about_a_compilation_of_all_of_the/

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

How did Flowey absorb all the monster souls, again? Human souls yeah, but the others? Does he not count as a monster?
Flowey has an actual physical body from the surface rather than a magical monster one, so he probably doesn't. I think the idea is that the flower can absorb souls through its roots (it initially gained Asriel's because it was growing on his grave, and I guess Asriel's soul got to stick around because he absorbed a human one).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Iretep posted:

I just realised why Undyne makes you send a letter to Alphys. Alphys lives in the molten area so Undyne cant go there herself. Basically she isnt being shy, she literally just cant take the message to Alphys herself. Alphys is making their relationship harder by living in a place Undyne cant go to.
Speaking of which I think Alphys had a note in her bin saying "I KNOW WHAT YOU DID" in the scene before the lab, who was supposed to have sent that?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The elevators basically take you back to the boatman from MTT. The only time I had a problem with backtracking was getting back to the start of the ruins at the end of the game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The sign on the wall explicitly tells you it's the first 8. I solved the piano puzzle by literally humming out loud, I think it's harder to remember tunes than people think.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

https://soundcloud.com/dragonxvi/bones-to-pick-undertale-boss-medley

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I find it funny how personally people take being owned by a cartoon plant

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

This is amazing!

Did you make this? I've been trying to work out a lot of the music in this game to play on the piano, especially the Papyrus and Undyne themes. I don't have a very good ear so I was having some trouble figuring out the notes. Do you think you could share like a midi (or however you made this, I'm not up on modern music sequencing) for this or at least the Papyrus song, so that I can see the notes? Though the description says its not accurate, it sounds pretty darn accurate to me. Thanks! Uh, and I'm not planning on releasing any of my own music, I just play around for fun and love this game's music.
Nah I didn't make it, someone just linked it to me and I thought it was neat.

Pollyanna posted:

God, that entire loving sequence creeps me the hell out. I don't know whether it's because of the low-fi nature of it or how it just keeps going, but the very last bit of the Genocide ending left me with a pit in my stomach. It might be because everything else you "attack" just kinda fades away with the same sprite all the time, but with this one you can actually see your target literally getting beaten to a pulp while showing one gently caress of an expression.

Flowey might have the greatest number of unique sprites in the game. Also, Uboa-Fallen legit gave me nightmares.

I think it's because the game has legitimately proved that you are equivalent to the main villain in the other route. That's something you lose if you just watch it on Youtube IMO.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That doesn't actually screw it up, you can still go back and kill stuff. You only leave the route if you fight a boss before you've grinded the kills out (or if you spare someone).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The genocide route is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. On the genocide route you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the genocide route motto, for example, that's how laid back it is. Play it if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to do it is if you want to hang out with friends.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

For real I don't think the ending lands properly if you don't play through it yourself.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You have to really go out of your way to get a genocide ending, is the point.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

In what sense is he cheating? The only way I could see that being argued is for getting dunked on, but that's funny enough that it doesn't matter and also it comes before the actually hard part of the fight. Stuff like putting the moving bones on the menus is just adding additional fight mechanics.
After a few attempts, 4 lasers appear in places that do not correspond to the Gaster heads during the first attack. It is pretty clear that the fight is intended to be unfair on some level (it's still fun).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Neutral/Pacifist: I don't think this game really judges you particularly harshly. Like the only thing you get judged for outside of genocide really is killing Papyrus, and he a) is, as he openly states, never trying to kill you and b) surrenders when defeated so that's completely fair. The idea is more that it requires more effort and strength to understand and work with your enemies, I think.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

The point in the game that kind of irked me was (not sure if a spoiler it's early-game in the ruins)when Toriel stops you from leaving the ruins after telling her you wanted to go home. She bars the player from leaving with a vague explanation then physically attacks you and can apparently even kill you. That raised an eyebrow from me. Still love her though, just caught me off guard when I played it. Exchange Toriel with Asgore for that situation and it could change the mood I'd think.
She actually stops firing at you if you go low on health, she's certainly not trying to kill you. Her aim is presumably to try and scare you off. It is possible to die but only if you really screw up a pattern.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mettaton is a true hero and I will not hear otherwise.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah the random encounter system is entirely necessary for genocide to work.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think that crash part is the only time my game ever closed cleanly, so I knew something was up

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Comic Sans and Papyrus are famously bad fonts though. I wouldn't recognize many other fonts by name but I do know those.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Speaking of OCs there was a $1000 tier reward stating "Your fantroll will become canon in UnderTale". Is that Undyne? I assume So Sorry and Muffet were from the $500 "FIGHTABLE MONSTER" tier.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

SS and Muffet were the $1000 tier.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1002143342/undertale/description
There's only one $1000 tier reward, and two $500 ones.

e: so he made two guys instead?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Undertale's morality system is the best because it acknowledges that doing bad things in games is generally a result of boredom rather than being a bad person

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Secret tech: If you don't like what people are saying about something you can ignore it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I meant more with regards to fans "ruining" the game. If it's retroactively affecting your experience you can just stop seeking out fans of the game

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah there definitely could have been a lot more divergence, especially with regards to killing Undyne and Mettaton. Then again that would potentially require you to grind through the same scenes a lot of times to see all the content, I kindof appreciate that you only really have to play the game twice and it's very different on those two times.

Turtlicious posted:

instead it's going to be like "oh hey it's that furry loving children game."

I don't want it to be known as that.
Sorry about your lovely friends I guess?

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 11, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having a proper "choice map" helps a lot (the example that comes to mind for me is Virtue's Last Reward) but that wouldn't really work in Undertale due to the SAVE gimmick and the RPG elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the important thing is that all the random encounters have a little bit of personality and charm.

• Locked thread