Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
What's the exact trigger for the True Pacifist ending corruption? I hit Alt-Enter to unfullscreen instead of F4 so I accidentally answered "No" to Chara at the end of my Genocide run, but I closed the window before they could finish speaking and kill me; I also was able to start up the game normally afterwards and load up from my save before Sans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

buffybot posted:

This seems like a bug. There should be a file that prevents you from loading into the game normally. Nevermind, that flag is probably triggered after the game crashes on you after that. But, to answer your question it's after you sell your soul.

It could've been a bug; I've read that during the conversation you can't close the game without using the Task Manager, but the close button worked for me. Then again, I found that on the Undertale wiki, so who knows how accurate that tidbit is.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

LibbyM posted:

I've just started playing this. I know sparing bosses is obviously a plot affecting thing, and from the first little section in the snowy forest I know that the unique enemies (like the married dogs) showed up again at the Grill later. I was curious if anything changes at all from killing the random encounter enemies that you see several of the same enemy with? (Other than going or the pure pacifist or whatever it's called ending)

Killing the Snowdrake will spur a later boss to mention something along the lines of you having indiscriminately killed a teenage comedian.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Raserys posted:

"Undertale took the internet by storm when it appeared on the scene in late 2015,but did you know it holds a dark secret known only to few? A character named W.D Gaster-"

I was disappointed when I turned the light switch off and left the room a few times in the room Toriel gives you and didn't see Uboa.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

AzureRequiem posted:

Did I miss the part where we talk about the best character?

It's Chara.

Fucker creeped me out more than anything else so far. I'm eager to see what mindfucks await me on the True Pacifist route.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Top Hats Monthly posted:

So here is a question (Genocide)

The motif among monsters in the genocide route is their eye. Undyne the Undying drops the eyepatch and has spears jutting from her eye, Sans has his blue shining eye, and Mettaton has his opaque eye. Maybe this is a coincidence but Sans and Undyne have their eye on the right (their left), but...Mettaton NEO's is the opposite, his eye is on your left (his right). Is this supposed to be something or is this a neat coincidence?

The differentiation could be symbolic of Mettaton being a pushover boss fight unlike the other two; you could even say that his opaque eye makes him half-blind and thus defenseless to your attacks whereas Undyne and Sans have heightened awareness to your attacks and are able to block/dodge them accordingly. Left is also "sinister", so it's also possible Mettaton's eye quirk being on the right indicates not having the heart to stop you... although technically you're the sinister one and Undyne's and Sans' intentions to defeat you are good, so that idea doesn't hold as much water as the other one.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Just beat a True Pacifist run, got an uncorrupted ending. Didn't do a True Reset.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

It does feel good; feels like I beat Chara at his own game by saying DO NOT and then closing the program before he got a chance to stab me.

Part of the reason why I went Neutral -> Genocide -> Pacifist was because I originally thought a Pacifist run would be the hardest to complete. I was hilariously wrong, but it was a good choice considering it made the Pacifist run super easy, especially since the Temmie Armor was only 750 G from all of the bad times I had.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Archenteron posted:

I really feel like more people who've played Undertale should play LISA for... almost entirely unrelated reasons.

More people should play LISA in general; it feels really close to film in atmosphere, even if you're just wandering around.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Man, if Sans died before Papyrus, Papyrus would never even figure out what happened thanks to Sans refusing to straight-up tell his brother about the concept of death.

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 9, 2016

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Fates End posted:

The only thing it changes is what you see after the credits in the True Pacifist run.

Even then, it's entirely possible to wuss out at the last moment to avoid this.

Keep the task manager open during the final sequence, and when you're given a choice in what is definitely the very end of the run, end Undertale's process. You can even end the process if you make the choice by accident, but that's dicey. If the game closes on its own from your choice, it's too late for you to get a true happy ending.

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 10, 2016

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

I pretty much didn't feel any regret or guilt killing any of the bosses in the Genocide run, but now I don't know if I could cut down Papyrus again.

I also arguably was more of a monster in my Neutral run since I decided the Tsunderplane is an abomination and must be destroyed on sight.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Angry Avocado posted:

(Also, I see those avatars a lot on this forum, what's the story behind them?)

They're the current newbie avatar.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

you're special because you're the protagonist.

That's debatable. Either Frisk or Chara is the protagonist depending on the run, and you're clearly disconnected from them.

WHO SAID YOU WERE THE ONE IN CONTROL

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

I completely forgot about Onionsan after my first playthrough, and when I was reminded of him in my True Pacifist playthrough I thought, "oh hey, it's the worst character."

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

MakeWarHarmlesser posted:

So I learned something new about this game tonight (Genocie spoilers):
I thought I'd be slick and keep my save file right before Mettaton Neo with one monster left, because I have 0 confidence in my ability to actually beat Sans and would've liked the ability to go back to the neutral ending if I wanted. However it turns out the game autosaves in the elevator after Mettaton so you're really 100% locked in after that point it seems.

Stick it out; Sans is a super-fun fight that will probably constitute 75% of the time you spend playing the Genocide run. Also, that's really neat and a subtle way to reduce the control of the player in that run.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

Actually the correct voice is Murray.

I thought about this idea the other day but forgot to post it, maybe because I picture Papyrus generally talking faster than Murray and I can't imagine Murray saying "OH NO! YOU'RE MEETING ALL OF MY STANDARDS!"

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

CJacobs posted:

The music in that entire segment is the most :gbsmith: part of the whole game imo

I snuck a peek at the names of a couple of upcoming tracks from that section before I went to the Capital and thought, "oh man, all kinds of crazy poo poo is going to be revealed soon" when I saw the title of that one.

I wasn't disappointed; New Home on a Neutral run is my favorite part of the game.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

i like to drink ketchup
...and smoke the weed

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Zephyrine posted:

This is kind if embarrassing but was his name yellow? I may have killed him. :saddowns:

He was one of the friendly Froggits, not one of the random encounter runs.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

I know half my posts in the thread have advocated the Neutral -> Aborted Genocide -> True Pacifist route, but Zephyrine might actually benefit from following such a path considering Genocide forces you to get good at dodging. The downside is that some of the plot twists of the Geno path are confusing/not as effective without finishing a True Pacifist run first.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

I hope that in the next patch you'll be able to pay for grad school so Temmie can make you the Temmie Sword.

^ahahaha holy poo poo

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

I can totally relate to not remembering the name of Mettaton's EX form since it took a while to commit that one to memory. I also agree in that the soundtrack's main issue is how repetitive its usage of motifs is, although I don't mind it too much considering how creatively they get worked into tracks to the point where some motifs aren't 100% apparent at first, like Your Best Friend being featured in Hopes and Dreams.

Compare Undertale's usage of motifs to Mother 3's, where uncreative Pig Army variations make up half of the 200-something tracks.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

The very beginning is based off/a continuation of Bergentruckung, and even that leads into a Heartache-esque segment before going into Heartache's main melody. Took me a while to figure out the Castlevania-esque part is Determination, too, and I have musical training.

I get the chills just thinking about the part of the song that's mainly based around Heartache.

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 21, 2016

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Justin_Brett posted:

I dunno if you can say Bratty and Catty are completely straight either, since Mettaton seems capable of attracting almost anyone.

That says more about everyone else's orientations than Bratty and Catty's, though. Catty did mention finding Burgerpants cute because she has no standards.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Ormi posted:

That puzzle and the unusual difficulty most people seemed to have in actually finishing it pushed me toward discovering I have absolute pitch. I've never played an instrument in my life. Thanks, Undertale!

I have good relative pitch, but I also had no idea you had to put the umbrella on the statue to hear the melody :(

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Farg posted:

what's exact pitch

Exact pitch, perfect pitch, absolute pitch, etc. is the concept of being able to identify the pitch of a note/chord/melody through hearing it without any accompaniment. People without this capability need a reference to identify pitches - unless they're tone deaf, in which case pitch recognition is impossible.

Pitch recognition is more of an inborn trait than anything; you can't really "train your ear" to be more receptive to the identity of notes. edit: I was wrong on that front

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 21, 2016

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Tollymain posted:

STEAK TRUCK FOOTBALL BLOWJOB

My face tastes delicious!

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Isn't Toby Fox a composer first and a game designer second? That would probably explain how intricate the tracks are for the game are, even for unpolished first runs.

Any idea if he has formal education in music composition? Or just self-taught?

In terms of dedication to his craft, he's a composer first and game designer second; his experiments in game design predate his composition work in Homestuck work et al. by a few years back when he made EarthBound ROM hacks. Megalovania is significant because it was the first ROM hack track he composed that he was pleased with.

He used to nearly exclusively work in C Minor in the early Homestuck days; about maybe 3 tracks of the Undertale soundtrack are in that key.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Don't know about the patch, but for whatever reason the game's audio files for Undertale are way faster (and thus higher pitched) than in-game or on the soundtrack.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Just realized the Tem Shop theme isn't a take on the ordinary shop theme so much as it is one on the Battle/Dogsong motif.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

I love Flowey's Opera Beam.

Something I thought of today: the change in pitch between the in-game/OST version of Undertale and the sound files the song is divided into is possibly a way of urging people who extracted the files without purchasing the OST to plunk down some cash on the album.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Let's look at interesting fanart, instead!

This guy's doing N64/PSX-style 3D models for the whole cast.

He's apparently working on Omega Flowey right now.

I'm glad somebody out there is working in this style; you see homages to 8/16-bit sprite art all the time, but there isn't enough nostalgia for early 3D.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

I can't figure out who Gobby is supposed to be. Who could possibly be TOO GOOPY??

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

For the next patch, Toby should put Song That Might Play When You Fight Sans in the data files... and still leave it completely unused.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Asgore Dreemur - Sage or Murderer

Asriel Dreemur - Serial Murderer

Toriel Dreemur - Murderer Toiler

^Nah, Chara's more of a Cheney and Asriel is Bush.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

After Sans spares you and you try to attack him, Sans has a chance of saying "Please don't tell the other Sans-es, okay?"

I recall running into that line in my (pre-patch) Geno run, but I could be wrong.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Endogeny is both incredibly unsettling and hilarious. That fight's audio is spread across three files, two of which are labeled "woofenstein". It's meant to be a take on Frankenstein, but it just makes me think of Wolfenstein. Now I want to see a take on Wolfenstein where you play as the Greater Dog and the music is that one Spear of Destiny track labeled "Evil Incarnate", but the marching sound is replaced by rhythmic panting and the order of recovery in the health powerups is reversed.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Not Operator posted:

So if I've got an Undertale-shaped hole in my heart, and I've never played Earthbound or Mother 3, should I?

More specifically, are they full of bullshit old RPG design decisions that will ruin my enjoyment of them?

They both don't have random encounters, which makes EarthBound more modern than most JRPGs from that period. Play them, they're great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Looper posted:

okay now explain pyrope

Let me tell you about Homestuck.

• Locked thread