Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I am a child who still thinks Space Jam remixes are funny, so here you go (spoilers for Bad Time path).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

GlyphGryph posted:

You still haven't gotten any sort of ending yet. Keep going, then restart if you want to.
The neutral ending is still an "ending", it's just less enlightening than the others. (It does have a bunch of variations of its own, but they only affect the phone call you get.)

Speaking of which: if you actually do manage to run your first playthrough without killing anyone, do you fight Omega Flowey before you go back for the true pacifist stuff? On my pacifist run, the six souls came out and Flowey said something like "oh, get on with it" and just gave up.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

a cartoon duck posted:

You can't, I assume Incoherence has done a different run before doing a pacifist run.
Correct: my first playthrough was a neutral run, and then I did a regular reset (not a True Reset) and did a pacifist run.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Macaluso posted:

I uh uhh buh wu buhhh buhhhh :psyduck:
This is basically how you should react to Undertale in general.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

atomicthumbs posted:

Do not click to the rest of thiks blog to find more undertale art. Do not click it at all
Several people obviously did not take your advice and had a bad time.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I killed Toriel the first time I played, thinking there was no other way out of that fight.
The whole mechanic where you do more damage to low-health bosses seems specifically designed to elicit the oh poo poo goatmom what did I do reaction. One of many reasons that new people should play the first time through blind.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Dominic White posted:

Keep on at it! Believe in yourself!

You only have to survive for a little while. Any progress you make carries over between deaths.
I think it only carries over each "segment" you complete, but those are each pretty short and it's not a huge leap in difficulty over the rest of the game.

quote:

I managed to nail it all on my first try and I have no idea how.
I get the impression that the fight is scripted to look somewhat harder than it actually is, because of your DETERMINATION.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Oxyclean posted:

Maybe you ran into a bug? I only remember one or two "crashes." One at the start/before the fight, as a gut punch to follow the twist...so that he could do the fuckery when you start up the game again, and then maybe once more during the fight? Honestly its been so long since I did the fight.
He crashes the game every time you die, as far as I recall.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Genocyber posted:

Crashing a game purposefully is cool and should be done a bit more (in the right context, of course, not just willy nilly).
It makes sense here to help illustrate that you (the player) and Flowey are the two most powerful things in the game's universe, since you control the timeline itself.

It's also pretty obvious in context that it's done intentionally.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay I'm stumped.

Finished my pacifist run. Got absolutely no new info about Flowey. All that happended was he popped up at the end, basically said "LOL you don't get a good ending" and then went away. Which didn't really matter since it still seemed like I got a nice ending relative to my last one but I DIDN'T get any sort of closure about who that annoying bastard is. I mean I have vague ideas but nothing that's really been said by the game. And its really frustrating since that first ending still feels dumb when Flowey is just this vague jerk.

I don't get what I did wrong. I gained no love or exp so isn't that pacifism?
Did you make friends with Papyrus (the date) and Undyne? If so, reload the save and backtrack until you get a phone call.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Cicadalek posted:

So I just got this and I'm wondering, do I lock myself out of something if I kill enemies? I find it enjoyable to do the non-lethal stuff, but only having 20 hp is a pain and causing me to die a lot.
Undertale is designed to be played multiple times, so even if you screw up it's not a big deal because you can just fix it on the next playthrough.

Well, unless you have a bad time, but it's difficult to do that by accident.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Toriel also specifically takes a ton more damage once you reduce her to a little under half health and kills her immediately, when I'm willing to bet the baseline that most people are going for to test that is like 25% health. It catches you super off guard.
I'm pretty sure this is true of all the bosses, although I think it's more true of Toriel just to ensure that the gut punch hits the maximum number of people.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kaubocks posted:

piano puzzle was extremely easy

that's my hot take on the matter
I didn't have too much trouble with it once I figured out where the tune was, but I've also been playing music for most of my life.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

SynthOrange posted:

Plus there's one utterly evil irredeemable character in the game

It's you
The whole reason Flowey tries to talk you out of playing again after the true pacifist ending is that you are the biggest threat to the game's world: you alone have the power to take the happy ending you created and rip it away from the characters, or even worse do that and then kill them all just because you want to see what happens.

So you can "redeem" yourself, but the way to do so is to not play the game again (or, I guess, replay the game only to run true pacifist again).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Dominic White posted:

Okay, I lied, one last Undertale link.

Just click the music bit at top. It's small, it's silly and I nearly died laughing.

My bones have been thoroughly trousled.
"Eh, okay, this is just Bonetrousled on piano... oh dear. :tem: :tem: :tem:"

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

SynthOrange posted:

Precisely for that reason. You skip a lot of dialogue because people are dead/gone.
A genocide speed run would be mostly grinding, though, which is also not particularly entertaining. I'd rather see a True Reset Pacifist run, although that's probably too long for a GDQ.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

BlackFrost posted:

Does adorable ghost buddy Napstablook come back at all after the fight with him? I really hope he's a recurring character. :allears:
You can go hang out at his house later on.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Erata posted:

It's been weird. Steel your whole self for the head cannons.
On the plus side, the majority of fanart has been perfect in every way.
"Head cannons" is a pun that's gone so far that it's ceased to be a pun, sort of like how no one remembers which of "couldn't care less" and "could care less" is supposed to be sarcastic.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Fat and Useless posted:

Question why does Sans bleed if he's a skeleman?
Ketchup.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah he really doesn't seem to have any major complaints other than all the gripes he makes stemming from "HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT???". He refers to sparing them as the most obtuse secret, a "mystery switch" that just turns on, rather than being worn down after many turns and proving a point about conviction and determination.
"I tried something and then gave up. This game sucks."
The problem is, like someone said above, that the author is thinking too hard about it: he's trying to "play the game as it wants to be played" but doesn't understand that "failing" the Toriel fight is an intentional part of the game's metanarrative. You are supposed to make mistakes and feel bad about them. The game will continue to provide content for you almost no matter what you do.

The metanarrative is sort of a weakness of the game, but only in the sense that you don't want Undertale to be someone's first RPG: the game's criticism of achievement-hunting and obsessive completionism doesn't land if the player isn't trying to do the exact things the game is trying to critique, and the game relies on players having a certain level of familiarity with RPG tropes. (Not to mention the opera scene from FF6.)

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Alabaster White posted:

I actually was looking around to answer this question, and the highest score I can see is 83 for Super Mario Maker. Everything else released recently has shockingly low scores (70-50) range because all the reviews are unnecessarily harsh, and reading a few user comments reveals that apparently this site intentionally gives everything noticably low scores as part of a clickbait scam! :thumbsup:
In theory I have no problem with game reviewers deciding to use their entire score range instead of giving 80%+ scores to anything remotely competent; yes, Metacritic will handle it poorly but Metacritic should really introduce some kind of calibration factor for each source in that case.

That review is bad for separate reasons.

vaguely posted:

nah undertale is about hugging and being nice to each other, and has several instances of The Gay
it is the SJW Agenda incarnate
Also the game studiously avoids assigning a gender to the player character at all.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 13, 2015

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Pomp posted:

What monsters do you NOT have crushes on, goons?
Jerry. No one likes Jerry.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Baal posted:

Hahahaa oh man, he just loving wrecked me
Like he said: you are going to have an unenjoyable period of your day.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The tempo matching on this one is off and it's driving me crazy.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I love how Toby is so humble that the hosts can't quite believe it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Panic Attack posted:

Mm, it was when a friend mentioned that he was sad that a really fun gameplay idea was 'stuck in a game he can't bring himself to play again' that the thought occurred to me. I've probably said this mutliple times in the thread already, but interaction during your attacking and defending phases in an RPG is brilliant, and i'm surprised not to have seen it executed as well as Undertale has before now. (Or at least, if it was, i've not heard of it.)
Super Mario RPG is probably the best-known example, although Undertale's bullet hell sections are a lot more intricate than SMRPG's timed defense.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
This is... out of this world? :tem:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Alabaster White posted:

The real problem with Undertale's advertising is... well, what else would you put there? It's truthful, but comes across badly because we're jaded from all the other games that tried the same things and failed. Also, all the really cool stuff to advertise is enormous spoilers and would ruin the surprise.
Yeah, you can't really put any of the actual plot points in the game without spoiling something, but the point of "you can date a skeleton and pet dogs" is to sort of put you in the right frame of mind for the game's humor. I guess Toby could have put some endorsements that actually praised the game's humor instead of ironically taking the least complimentary line of each one as pull quotes, but even that's a similar sort of humor frame of reference (like Coffee Stain putting the number of hilarious physics bugs in Goat Simulator as a feature).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I think I mentioned this like 50 pages ago, but the only major fault I have with Undertale is that it's an RPG about RPGs: sort of the video game equivalent of those Oscar-bait movies that everyone rolls their eyes at. A lot of the game relies on you having preconceived notions about RPGs and knowing at least some of the references (the opera scene was the funniest goddamn thing for me but it's entirely possible that someone hasn't played the game it came from and it turns into Mettaton wasting your time with a musical number for no reason). This is why I'm sort of okay with it not being the highest-rated game of all time; it's still really loving good but it relies on prior knowledge in a way that isn't true of a lot of the other "top N games of all time".

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
hOI! get Temd on!

:tem:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
All Hail Temmie.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

bucksmash posted:

So I just got to the end of the game and...I thought it crashed.

Oh god.

No it didn't.
I sort of wonder how many people got to that point and never restarted the game.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

bucksmash posted:

So I beat the neutral path not too long after that post and I just now finished the true pacifist. This game :unsmith: I even explored everything, so I got quite a surprise going back to the ruins, finding Asriel and then getting a huge plot dump about the other human (which I'm guessing is an allusion to the genocide path?)
I'm guessing you didn't see the home movies in the True Lab?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Ranzear posted:

OOT just has zero engagement in the first two hours for me now. The "Where do I go? Why do I care?" effect is off the fuckin' charts and the constant progress gating is just horrendous. I say this of it now because I'll admit the irony of needing gamefaqs to get through most of the temples as a kid, so I didn't memorize the first half of the game like I figure those who can ignore all that did.

I'm not saying it's a poo poo game, just that it's the only game some people played as a kid, so they ignore every flaw.
It's a tutorial section. If you know what you're doing you can just blitz through it, but if this is your first 3D Zelda (hint: it was everyone's first 3D Zelda when it came out), it allows the game to start out simple before it dumps you into a big item-gated overworld.

Part of it is that a lot of what was new about OoT then feels well-worn now: the later 3D Zeldas are all pretty similar mechanically but more inventive plot-wise (because OoT covered one of the straightforward paths), with mixed degrees of success. Judging novelty on a game that's been out for 20 years is hard.

Megaspel posted:

Woah, I never realized you could burn the web. I always just climbed to the top and jumped off into it.
Different puzzle: the web you burn by rolling on it is in the basement. The only reason I remember this is because of the speedruns at GDQ events.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Stefan Prodan posted:

like on mobas and poo poo if you get brutally one shot you just got dunked. There's even a champ in league of legends that yells "geeeeet dunked" when she ults you so I mean I still really feel that phrase fits better since that's exactly what just happened when you see the message
If you "get dunked" you are the ball. If you "get dunked on" you are the defender.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

scamtank posted:

After you get the happy ending, even Flowey mentions that the only way the timeline is getting reset anymore is if you specifically start loving with it again. He's found his peace, the loop's done.
Yeah, I think the intended canonical ending is that you do the true pacifist ending and then stop playing. Or you do the No Mercy run and stop playing.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is information that you get later, isn't it? Couldn't it be as simple as the player character viewing it as equal to the other Snowdrake-shaped thing he's seen so far?
I think Snowdrake's dad (in the hotel) says something about how Snowdrake's mother is missing, so it might be possible to piece it together.

That said, none of the other amalgamations are identifiable as other characters (more so than just monster types), so I could see it either way.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Top Hats Monthly posted:

edit: Holy poo poo, genocide spoilers I just realized when you cut undyne trying to murder monster kid...her sprite starts sliding apart. :stonk:
Have you seen what happens when you kill Undyne in a neutral path?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

BiggerJ posted:

I've just realized something: in Genocide, when Chara destroys the world and eventually moves on to another version of it, it's a metaphor for a player beating a game, uninstalling it and reinstalling it later.
This is the flip side of the "best ending", which is where you free all the monsters on the true pacifist route and then stop playing the game, because you, the player, are the only thing standing in the way of everyone living happily ever after. This one's a bit more obvious because of the conversation with Flowey after you reopen the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Internet Kraken posted:

There's zero reason not to spare everything on your first playthrough and not doing so will make the game significantly less satisfying depending on what you kill.
There's enough there to justify letting people do their first playthrough blind without telling them what their actions mean. You are unlikely to accidentally have a bad time.

ZeeBoi: suffice it to say that you will be fine no matter what you do.

• Locked thread