Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Zereth posted:

What the gently caress is that thing?

EDIT: Does that receipt say it costs 1,100 pounds? :staredog:

It appears to be a a burger with gold leaf, caviar, and foie gras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Tenebrais posted:

I like to see it as Chara only becoming as evil when you do a violence. You're the one that leads them to seeing existence as a struggle for power. If you only show compassion, they can see the value in it. The only point of no return is the Genocide route. Once you've murdered everyone you'll never not really see them as just objects.

It's pretty clear that they wanted to exterminate all of humanity even back when they were alive.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Schwarzwald posted:

It really isn't. All we know is that they intended to kill some number of other humans. Maybe they did want to kill everyone. Maybe they would have turned back after collecting the seventh soul. We don't know, and the game doesn't tell us.

We know they deliberately climbed a mountain that nobody comes back from.
We know from Asriel that they were really kinda mean.
We know they became a shambling psychopathic killing machine after gaining power from just the monsters in the ruins.
It's not that far of a leap to assume they'd be going off the deep end and restart the Human-Monster war with the god-like power of 7 human souls.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Tollymain posted:

if frisk is a sweetheart, they find some measure of redemption before presumably going wherever it is the shades of the dead go in this world.

Even on a pacifist play-through they're still pretty cruel. Just look at the heckle text for amalgamate Snowdrake.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I can't tell if that's supposed to be baby Asgore or Asriel + 1 Human Soul.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Missing "Killed 7 Times" 3/10

quote:

Is there any chance someone could make an avatar-sized version of this with just Chara and the dolls?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Why do so many people talk like killing Toriel is the most obvious thing to do? Sure, when she told me to prove my strength I attacked her a couple times, but when I noticed that all of her attacks were deliberately aimed away form me my response was :what:. Then I just glared at her until she got tired of shooting fireballs ten feet to my left and let me through.

I totally killed Undyne, though. If she wasn't going to accept that I'm stronger than her and give up before she runs out of HP, that's not my fault. Made that phone call from Papyrus after super awkward though.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I don't remember them ever saying that in the game, but if that's the case, then it would make sense.

There's definitely someone or something that mentions that robots are made from a mixture of science and magic.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

YES bread posted:

the game still lets you kill papyrus. there are no "but thou must" moments

The game does not allow you to just let Asgore kill you and take your soul.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Endings posted:

Eeeh. I could see a cute Golden Sun-Esque stay in the ruins option that gave you maybe a short cutscene and a non-standard game over, but as far as the other, Flowey has absolutely no reason to let Asgore live, given what he's trying to push you towards.

Yeah but if Flowey was capable of killing Asgore without you weakening him first, wouldn't he have done that already?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Evilreaver posted:

And this is my favorite :3: vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le-FLQfmKis (some spoilers)

You fucker.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

FuhrerHat posted:

The game should seriously discourage or even prohibit you from doing a pacifist run as your first playthrough.
Because how am I supposed to go back and hurt anyone now :(

They are fictional characters. Nothing but pixels on a screen. Their lives are not real. Their feelings are not real. Why shouldn't you end them?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
You know, if Asgore was just nice to all the humans that fell and served them tea and didn't talk about killing them and taking their soul, eventually they'd die of old age and he could take their soul then. And any that aren't content to spend the rest of their lives underground and try to kill him, well, killing them is just self-defense. Even if there's a strong pressure to break the barrier as soon as possible, there's no sense in murdering any humans until the 7th one falls down. So Asgore is just a murderer who is terrible at everything he does.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Normal Adult Human posted:

this is what he does. he never attacks you, he just stands by the barrier.

He gives his royal guard a standing order to kill all humans on sight.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

spincube posted:

I've finished! I think my final question is is the not-so-happy route going to tear my still-beating heart from my chest and stamp all over it

Do you know how to tell the difference between reality and fiction? If so you'll be fine.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Looper posted:

up until i realized the texts were a thing, i thought sans and toriel were cool platonic buds, but then i saw the texts

Wait, what texts?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
If the kill counter doesn't go up when you kill sans, it's because you, the player, don't actually deliver the killing blow any more than you do for Flowey. By that point you are no longer the one in control.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

GunnerJ posted:

Which, of course, is the point of a genocide run: the only real challenge when you can always reload your save is a game that isn't fun to play.

I don't know about you, but I had lots of fun with the bad time bosses.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sometimes I worry that the true pacifist ending enables and encourages people who can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

E: No one playing the game is going to literally take the characters as real, astral or otherwise, save for a very few Chris-chan Sonichu types who are extremely far and few between.

That they are relatively few (and given the Internet's propensity to bring all such people together, 'relatively few' is still a fair number of people) does not mean they do not exist or that they don't matter. These are the people I worry about, the ones who genuinely believe sans is their husband or whatever. I fear the Flowey's speech will make them that much less likely to ever overcome their delusions.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

People who would be set off by Undertale would be set off by any other number of media if Undertale did not exist. That doesn't mean things like Undertale shouldn't be made for fear of setting them off.

I have never played another game that directly addresses the player saying "Video game characters are real." If you can point me to others I'd be interested to see how it's done there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

GunnerJ posted:

The character Flowey addressing the player and asking them not to reset the game isn't some radical dangerous thinning of the barrier between fantasy and reality. It's just breaking the 4th wall. I don't know what the special relevance of a video game breaking the 4th wall is vs. any other media but I kinda think "oh man what if this reinforces the delusions of otherkin" is a bit of a fringe concern to hang criticism of a game or peoples' enjoyment of it on.

1. Who said anything about hanging anyone's enjoyment of the game on? This thread is over 700 pages long, fringe is all we've got left at this point.

2. Breaking the fourth wall is typically done as characters acknowledging in some way that they exist in a work of fiction. Flowey's speech is a sort of reverse of that, asserting that the characters are real and exist outside the bounds of the fiction.

But maybe I'm just annoyed about the game scolding me for wanting to see the holes in it's story filled in.

• Locked thread