Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is the whole Jenner thing really that big a deal outside of the internet? I literally never heard of Bruce Jenner and my first exposure was when she was on the cover of a magazine. 99% of what I've seen regarding it was people on social media complaining about that hero award she won.

My boss lives in Malibu, often complains of Kardashian encounters, and the day of the Vanity Fair cover was a miserable day at work. "I don't care if he does it I just don't want to be forced to see it :byodame:

So, basically, five rich trust fund kids care.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Does anybody else think Kyle's award and ride with Jenner should have been at the end of last episode? Would have cut some fat and redeemed it. They still could have shoehorned her into this one.

Also, that's totally Trump, even though a mass exodus from the Harper government would be totally justified.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

precision posted:

I thought it was supposed to be the crazy mayor of Toronto personally though now that people have mentioned it, yeah, it "was" Trump.

Rob Ford weighs about 300 pounds, if not more. He would also be displayed smoking crack and being racist.

With PC principal, I guess that could happen!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Flatscan posted:

Cartman murdered a kids parents, made chilli from their bodies and fed it to the kid.

Which is actually a direct adaptation from a story in Herodotus's Histories, except in the original version a man was fed his two sons. :eng101:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And then the Church of Scientology killed Isaac Hayes for allowing the Xenu episode to happen. Quitting the show was too little too late :tinfoil:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Active666 posted:

Just found today that Denver Aiport has a CtPaTown...

http://www.citywok.com/Locations

This is getting too real.

For the lazy, their menu includes:

City Chicken
City Beef
City Shrimp
Just Broccoli
City Curry Rice
Chinese Burrito

"People CRAVE City Wok!"

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I unironically want to get a chinese burrito and/or pad thai (?!) at city wok, only because I can.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's happening.

Trip report incoming.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The meat is raw-ish at bd's, right? There's an independent Mongolian bbq I go to sometimes, but their meat is all shaved and frozen and I've never gotten sick there. I actually lived off that stuff for a term when I had night classes. I thought bd's was a midwest thing.

Anyway, no, I was talking about the City Wok from the Denver airport that was linked to on this page.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

WillieWestwood posted:

Ahh, okay. Just saw the complete menu at City Wok's site. I haven't eaten there, but I remember the admin at South Park Studios 12 or 13 years ago posting how much Trey loved the place and would go to the one in Sherman Oaks. Since then a new admin has taken over, and the Sherman Oaks City Wok is long gone.

Sure, it's now in Studio City :haw:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

CtPaTown was authentic from start to finish, complete with a strip mall featuring a Ralph's and Rite Aid with overpriced studio apartments lining the way back to the 101. It took coming here to remember that I looked for an apartment in this neighborhood when I moved to LA. It would have cost more than my current place for half the square footage and ...

carpeted flooring

:frogout:

Authenticity.

Apologies for the city photography, by the way. I was using my phone and actually slightly hungry.

When we sat down, we were greeted by a pretty young white girl. She explained that her job interview involved the manager asking her about South Park and explaining that Matt and Trey actually did come to eat here when they lived in California, so that much made sense. She had a great sense of humor about the city nature of everything, and as my friend and I looked about the place, it was obvious that just about everybody there was eating for the sense of irony.

You know a selfie when you see it, right?

There was also a Chinese family eating behind us, and the Mandarin we overheard confirmed the ridiculous nature of things. At this point I'd recommend googling the Buzzfeed video of Chinese people eating Panda Express, because it's not dissimilar.

I will make no apologies for demanding hot and sour soup, since I'm kind of a sucker for the stuff, but when I look at this photo next to the CtPaTown ad, it looks disturbingly similar.

Okay, okay, here are choice bits of menu:

And without further ado:

Mongolian Beef (it was tasty!)

Firecracker Chicken (it was okay!)

And.

Of course.

CITY BEEF.

(again, apologies for photo quality)

It was crispy and deep fried and nommy, but you gotta hand it to them, when you isolate a single piece of it...

...it looks city.

So, clearly, between the two of us, we couldn't finish all that.

And the takeout boxes are a stark reminder of the one-child policy.

So there you have it. Decide for yourself whether I'm going to be sick today, and refer to s01e04 "Death" if you need a clearer mental image.

I honestly can't complain. It did what it said on the tin. My only regret is not having inquired about the Kale of the Day.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I agree, as a bachelor Trader Joes frozen food is awesome, as well as a few other things they have that mean I don't have to spend a half hour cooking for myself (so ronery). I also like their booze and cheese selections; they genuinely have good stuff for half of what you'd pay at Whole Foods.

Seriously, 2-3 bucks for a meal is reasonable.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nichael posted:

Yeah, "organic" is kind of nonsense and not really based in any scientific research. And free range meat is pretty ridiculous to me, because as a vegetarian, I figure if you care about animal welfare, just don't eat them. Like I said in my previous post, it really is unnerving how willing stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are in pushing an irrational and unscientific agenda that is masked in "liberalism". This was covered well though in the gluten episode last year. And speaking of that, was Randy's beer in the beginning of the episode gluten free? It seems like the South Park's newfound continuity is restricted to just within the season, and not necessarily from season to season.

I do think that PBR was indeed gluten-free, but you're missing the point.

Whole Foods is indeed bullshit. They sell homeopathy as a science and organic turnips as a religion. Yoga bunnies posing as kept women in Santa Monica and Aspen do it, but nobody else should bother.

Trader Joes does fall victim to some of that imagery, but does in fact sell good food for pretty cheap; one just needs to be discerning. So, go there for poo poo like frozen food and wine and... please tell me I'm not the only person who digs dill popcorn and inca nuts, because that poo poo rules (and is still affordable).

What I'm saying is, taking any vaguely off-kilter natural-branded grocer and pelting them with the Whole Foods garbage is just as bad as saying Kroger is killing migrant workers in Qatar. Go ahead and be critical, but be careful of going too far in the other direction.

Basically, screw your drat head on before you go grocery shopping.

Posted from this user's Villa at Historic Kenny's House

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Trader Joe's has some amazing pumpkin pancake mix, and it's just a 15-minute drive from my home (depending on traffic of course).

It used to be a Borders, too, so I feel a bit nostalgic whenever I go there. :smith:

Tell me about it. I was born in Ann Arbor, and I grew up hearing the tale of The First Borders every time I drove by one with my dad :smith:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Ack, sorry for doubleposting but-

Sir Lemming posted:

I don't drive myself crazy over it, but I do think healthier animals yield better/healthier food. Seems logical enough.
And of course, anything where growth hormones are involved... It's kind of a no-brainer that there could be some unwanted side effects in the food.

Obviously some companies are gonna lie about complying with these principles, but they're good principles.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nah, meat tastes like meat.

I disagree completely. Meat is the one place where I will come out and say that going organic makes a gigantic difference. Unlike fruits and veggies where, oh look, they're smaller and a slightly different color and oh is that a worm?, meat looks and tastes distinctly different when it's organic. I can't afford to do it very often, but when I can treat myself to organic meat I don't feel even remotely bad about it, and I miss living in a situation where there was an independent, organic farm shop just down the road (and for those of you in Ontario, Rowe Farms is the best).

With veg, I will advocate for GMO because we simply need it to get the yield necessary to feed everybody at a reasonable cost. To that end, I can understand factory farming, even though it makes me sad. But where possible, getting organic meat is absolutely and completely worth it, on all levels.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The real life lovely Wok is in a complex with a Ralph's, so there you go.

In case you forgot, Ralph's is where John Goodman sourced the Folger's tin for Donny's ashes in Big Lebowski :eng101:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

quote:

Cartman is the latest victim of body shaming

good

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Now that I think of it, Zoe Quinn would be an amazing South Park character. I think she and Cartman could be lovely friends.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

My Q-Face posted:

I personally thought that episode was hilarious, best of the season so far, many many laugh out loud moments. And the D&D crowd's reaction in here is even funnier. :lol: if you think M&T are mad, or that this PC poo poo on the internet doesn't bleed over into real life. :lol: even more if you're on Somethingawful.com and get offended at people saying mean things on the internet.

All I can say as a :corsair: is I could see this coming 15-20 years ago when my young cousins were dressed up in five pounds of protective gear just to ride their bicycles to the newly installed completely rounded plastic playground with its spongy play surface. just :lol:

Oh thank christ.

This episode was okay-to-good. I giggled. The Sally Struthers ads were great, but it seems like a missed opportunity that they didn't bring Sally Struthers in on the fat-shamed bandwagon. Starvin Marvin also would have worked well.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

VagueRant posted:

I thought this was the jokesiest episode of the season so far. Cartman crying, Steven Seagal stuff, Randy at Whole Foods, I thought that was all pretty good. Oh and Kyle taking the detention - loved that.

That said, while I usually like South Park being preachy, having an Waluigi-esque anthropomorphic personification of Reality get up on a stage with a microphone to spell out their message was a little much. Not sure the ending was particularly funny, satisfying or interesting.

I also have mixed feelings about calling the bizarre tidal wave of verbal abuse that exists online as "reality". I don't think people should be protected from all criticism and negativity, but internet comments are...something else altogether.

The reality personification was bizarre, but the Broadway musical number was also bizarre. Weakest part of the episode, but the visceral, public death of Reality was so strange and ironic and on the nose, I don't even know what to make of it. It almost just felt like M&T going crazy ala the last minute or so of Don Hertzfeld going crazy in Rejected.

That said though, the internet abuse kind of is reality. Letting people hide behind their computers allows them to speak their minds without fears of repercussion, right? If the point is that a morbidly obese person can't post a topless picture and call themselves sexy without getting made fun of, I have to agree because it's dumbfuck behavior and deserves to be mocked.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 22, 2015

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

LividLiquid posted:

With few but notable exceptions, South Park used to attack the powerful.

This whole season, it's leaning on attacking the powerless.

Kind of disappointing. Super easy to joke about safe spaces being ridiculous when you're rich and white and straight, etc. and every space is safe for you.

I'm not offended. I'm just not entertained, either. It's not fun watching rich people mock poor people, for instance. That isn't a joke. It's like Family Guy after a certain point. Instead of using shocking humor to make a good point, that show started saying poo poo like "aren't Asian people just terrible?" and that's not actually a joke. It's lazy. South Park, when it criticized Family Guy, actually made a joke.

Now they're not making jokes. They're pointing fingers at people asking not to be treated like poo poo, and blaming them for poo poo that way isn't their fault, and it isn't offensive, like they want me to think it is. It just isn't fun for me. They want me to be this big straw-man liberal arts college PC douche, but I really just don't think what they're doing is funny.

HAHA POOR PEOPLE and HAHA BLACK PEOPLE is the very comedy they railed against previously, and now they're doing it.

If you can't see why an affluent white guy feeling attacked at Whole Foods is funny, I don't know what to tell you.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 22, 2015

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Sir Lemming posted:

Or it was just continuity for continuity's sake. It's hard to tell because they only gave it one brief mention. Certainly didn't really explore the issue at all.

Kyle giving Cartman explicit grief for avoiding negative reviews of himself on the very website where he lords the threat of negative reviews in order to get free/more food would have been unfunny and bad.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This thread basically is a cartoon.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Harry Joe posted:

He's gonna become president, of course.

To be fair, he was singlehandedly responsible for the exciting new urban housing developments of SoDoSoPa.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The only time I've ever felt bad about rejecting the donation was at Petco.

Then again, my mom actively deals with feral kitties by hand, and the only pets I've ever had are rescues.

Also, my current rescue kitty is a fatass. The owner who abandoned her last basically demanded that I feed her the organic dry food that's basically only available at Petco, but I took her in to the clinic last week and the vet prescribed her a wet food diet so I get to grab her poo poo at Food 4 Less along with my own.

I'm not sure if I should be in Pet Island right now. Is Pet Island a safe space? Will you guys quote me and post shame me in this thread?!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

LostRook posted:

So then whenever anybody doesn't like a show they can just invade a thread and accuse everyone that does like it of being gamergater/white supremacist/etc and shut down the discussion?

That seems like a bad idea.

Nah, so when a thread turns to poo poo the people making GBS threads it up get to take a chill pill and perhaps even get mod warnings. It would be warranted here.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Tenzarin posted:

The person causing all the problems was the government. The government was the bad guy, wow deep. Canadian land being a nes rpg was great.

Canada was the single best part of that game, which was a good game overall, but I would totally play Canada: the NES South Park RPG.

*gets evil ideas*

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I didn't use the ... magic system in battle at any point ever over the course of two playthroughs, and the parts where you can get stuck on the tutorials was incredibly annoying (at least on PC, apparently it was easier with controllers.

Still a great game though. Stoked for the next one.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Waltzing Along posted:

Combat was terrible. Slow, repetitive and boring. If you made a game that was just 100% SoT combat, it would be horrendous.

It was a JRPG, and I thought some of the specials were fun. It could have been much worse.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Butters is OP and it's hard to justify using anybody else very often. I'd bring Jimmy and Kyle in every once in a while, but that was about it. Kenny always just ended up loving combos up and getting murdered by rats.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Small White Dragon posted:

What's perhaps worse is there's a fan wiki that categories all the combinations so far:

Ikyle.

Nope.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hay guys, I went down the Rick and Morty rabbithole, and thought you might appreciate some hot cosbys!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I completely adore the decrepit and abandoned nature of SoDoSoPa in deference to Shi Tpa Tao. Amazing.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I didn't want it before, but I kind of do now. Because stupid or not I've always found this song hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykWPyaqbebo

Yeah, I don't know why but I find that little ditty absolutely hilarious. I even lingered at the part in Stick of Truth where it plays in the background.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ChesterJT posted:

Watching Caitlyn run over people always makes my heart warm.

BUCKLE UP, BUCKAROOS :haw:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Congratulations: you have found the interesting questions that show raised before it realized that was way too hard a set of questions to answer and just made the show about literal christian angels instead.

Ronald D. Moore is supermormon extraordinaire. It was a religious allegory from the get go, unfortunately.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Flatscan posted:

No, that was Glen Larson who created the original. I'm pretty sure Ron Moore is an atheist.

Quorum of the 12? Lost 13th tribe? Kobol/Kolob? It's mormony from the first, sorry if I mixed up the dude responsible.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

My neighborhood doesn't even have a Whole Foods*, and rent has gone up from 150-300%

Thank christ for rent control.

*but we have a new yoga studio, some bullshit place called Pop Physique, a vegan brunch spot, and two vinyl stores, all within the last year or so :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Waltzing Along posted:

How long have you been in the city?

2.5 years :gonk:

• Locked thread