Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean, there's no reason that the episodic format has to come at the cost of progression. It's not an and/or situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Rinkles posted:

I like them, but not if they completely abandon any kind of progression.

Slayers is episodic in the same way that each weekend session of a long Dungeons and Dragons campaign is. Each episode wraps up a little adventure, but there's still progression towards a larger quest/plot. It's not completely disjointed standalone episodes like, I dunno, South Park or something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
yeah i had something like inspector gadget in mind when i wrote that (i don't actually know if there ever was any closure)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

AlternateNu posted:

Dirty Pair Flash
Escaflowne
Slayers

And I'm going to throw Boogiepop Phantom on there despite it technically being 2000. Same with Great Teacher Onizuka (1999-2000).

I remember reading years ago that there's, like, two different versions of Escaflowne, one more Shonen, and one more Shoujo. Is that correct, or did I hallucinate that diving too deep into Tvtropes or something?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Those are the manga adaptations, although there was allegedly an attempt to make a FoxKids version which turned Van into more the main character and reduced Hitomi's role but it never got past the pilot stage iirc

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

That's the manga adaptations, although there was allegedly an attempt to make a FoxKids version which turned Van into more the main character and reduced Hitomi's role but it never got past the pilot stage iirc

Had to double-check but it actually exists in totality... kinda. It's partially lost media, as there's parts of two episodes missing, but otherwise it had a full 23-episode run (some were skipped altogether). Also the same VA's as the "proper" English dub by Ocean, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZXbrqPjKM

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 24, 2024