Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I had always assumed that his Southampton appearance was a one-off thing he did as a kind of joke. Now I can't tell whether he actually thought he was good enough to be a professional footballer or if this was some elaborate scheme he cooked up to make a few bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

straight up brolic posted:

The journalism here is good, Muller's backstory is cute.

I wish that people would just create a lexicon to discuss movement/intelligence rather than masturbating over the concept of space and 'arriving at just the right time' like every single football article that's been released in the past few years (including a few of mine) it's not like a spiritual or mysterious occurrence. People do the same poo poo when they talk about Ozil as though he's some loving incredible disappearing magician.

I think people are drawn to writing about football because it has an atmosphere of romanticism and mystery and they can say whatever the gently caress they want because the game hasn't been completely quantified, but it has gotten out of hand.

This hit its peak in triangles era Barca and has been unbearable ever since.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sweek0 posted:

Daniel Taylor is good at these things. FC United of Manchester: how the togetherness turned into disharmony
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/31/fc-united-manchester-broadhurst-park

Holy crap this club sounds absolutely awful. It's Timbers-esque.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Same. I expected him to be well into his 30's?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

That guy is the worst "soccer writer" in American media.

I’m not going to tell you that Christian Pulisic’s performance in today’s Borussia Dortmund-AC Milan friendly—in which he conjured two assists, won a penalty, and eeled his way past famously big and bad Serie A defenders more times than you could count—means that the Wonderteen is primed to take the leap from solid and promising young prospect to legitimate and inarguable superstar this year, nor that his impending breakout 20 goals and 20 assists will make him a shock inclusion on the next Ballon d’Or podium, and definitely not that, behind this silky American’s talents, Dortmund are practically a lock for the league-cup-Champions League treble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
This was posted in the feral footballers thread and it's good

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...paign=editorial

• Locked thread