Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pretty good. Will read again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Elukka posted:

Any idea what Two-Fisted Fantasy stuff we might expect to see in the future? Could we see more material from Two-Fisted Steve's archives once (if) Gilganixon's finances recover? A re-release of one of the books would be amazing but I have no idea how feasible that is.

What was the name of the two fisted fantasy Sci-fi Detective Line? If i remember it was some kind of Film Noir robot detective thing a ma bob?

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
LONG LIVE THE KING!

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Great thread. :perfect:

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Awesome thread.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gilganixon posted:

Two-Fisted Steve (who I'm still not convinced isn't you) hasn't sent me the book that I've now paid several hundred dollars for...

Well I'm not saying I AM Two-Fisted Steve, but if I were, I'd be hesitant to supply the books anyways, seeing as how you're effectively giving away copies online. At the very least, I'd have charged you more... if I were him.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Thanks for the kind words y'all.

Elukka posted:

Any idea what Two-Fisted Fantasy stuff we might expect to see in the future? Could we see more material from Two-Fisted Steve's archives once (if) Gilganixon's finances recover? A re-release of one of the books would be amazing but I have no idea how feasible that is.

The next thing is a full re-release of Void Racers. It's a great/terrible book but needs to be modernised a bit. The hundreds of paragraphs the author included about the work ethic of the Irish and the plot line about the Yellow Peril probably need to be reworked, for instance. Hoping for a re-release some time next year.

After that probably Sword of the Bastard Elf.

djwetmouse posted:

What was the name of the two fisted fantasy Sci-fi Detective Line? If i remember it was some kind of Film Noir robot detective thing a ma bob?

The phone system was called 2FISTS but it instantly got sued out of existence by one of the Fighting Fantasy co-creators who was running a very similiar phone game called FISTS. I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back. That was some sleazy sci-fi noir schlock that included one of the plotlines from a book called "Codename: CyberFISTS" and it cost something like £1 a minute which was a dizzying amount at the time. I was one of the very few callers and by god was my bank account sore by the time they pulled the plug on that one.

I tried to patch the thread together into a PDF but it didn't really add anything the second post and the Photoshop Phriday isn't already covering pretty well. Instead I'm working on a memento which I'll have up here tomorrow.

By the way if anyone's interested in helping out with the Void Racers book I'm going to need playtesters and things like that. I'll post some more details with tomorrow's update.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gilganixon posted:

The next thing is a full re-release of Void Racers. It's a great/terrible book but needs to be modernised a bit. The hundreds of paragraphs the author included about the work ethic of the Irish and the plot line about the Yellow Peril probably need to be reworked, for instance. Hoping for a re-release some time next year.

The phone system was called 2FISTS but it instantly got sued out of existence by one of the Fighting Fantasy co-creators who was running a very similiar phone game called FISTS. I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back. That was some sleazy sci-fi noir schlock that included one of the plotlines from a book called "Codename: CyberFISTS" and it cost something like £1 a minute which was a dizzying amount at the time. I was one of the very few callers and by god was my bank account sore by the time they pulled the plug on that one.

I tried to patch the thread together into a PDF but it didn't really add anything the second post and the Photoshop Phriday isn't already covering pretty well. Instead I'm working on a memento which I'll have up here tomorrow.

By the way if anyone's interested in helping out with the Void Racers book I'm going to need playtesters and things like that. I'll post some more details with tomorrow's update.

I'd be honored to help playtest the rerelease.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gilganixon posted:

Oh GOD, yes. Dibs! :flashfap:

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I'm in

Paste
Aug 26, 2007

Well chaps, this thread has been an unforgettable experience. Thank you all for sharing this chapter of my life with me.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Eyes glues to this thread...well, moreso than usual.
Wanna be part of that playtest. :allears:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Edit: gently caress, double post.

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

What great, hilarious worldbuilding. I checked this thread every day for Caimen antics and was never disappointed. Can't wait to see what you do next!

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
This was an enjoyable adventure, but I think the bastard elf one was better. For the most part this was too impersonal, we never really got involved in the role of a protagonist. Sure there was a lot of cool stuff going on but I didn't really connect with the captain like we connected with the half elf in sword of the bastard elf.

Its pretty clear Herman was tired with this last book he wrote.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Thank you gilganixon for the awesome adventure. Thank you Applewhite for helping out. I wish you good luck on any future endeavors you do. Also, I'd totally be interested in helping with the playtesting.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
I can't believe how amazing this thread was!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Microwaves Mom posted:

This was an enjoyable adventure, but I think the bastard elf one was better. For the most part this was too impersonal, we never really got involved in the role of a protagonist. Sure there was a lot of cool stuff going on but I didn't really connect with the captain like we connected with the half elf in sword of the bastard elf.

Its pretty clear Herman was tired with this last book he wrote.

Yeah, the elf was a much simpler adventure but it was easier to get into the mindset of the elf. In this one it's not really clear whether you're the captain, the ship or the crew so you never quite get to know any of them all that well. In a lot of ways it's probably easier to think of Void Racers as a boardgame but with a book instead of a board.

It's also why I'm working on the manuscript for Elf at the same time.

Rainbow Bells
Oct 10, 2010

You Cussin' with Me?
This was amazing, thanks for putting in all the work to keep us entertained. Looking forward to more of your CYOAs they're some of the best things on SA.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Gilganixon posted:

I'm in.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Thanks for all the kind words. I wanted to wrap things up with a final post.

Like I said before I wanted to put everything into a pdf for a souvenir like I did with Bastard Elf, but because of the expansions and my failure to upload all the rules that'd be even more impossible to play through than the Elf book was. Here are the extra pages I was going to include:

Instead I put this together for anyone who wants it:

Click for full size, about 4mb:

It aint much but thanks for playing.

Here are our cheevos for this run:

Aliens recruited: 3 (Spudfinder, Mois and Hugh Mann) of 4 possible
Blood Feasts: 1 of 3 possible
Alien worlds destroyed: 2
Alien starships obliterated: 4 (inc. Haldus)
Alien civilisations enslaved: 2 (Haldians and Bijoux) of 4 possible
Revolutions crushed: 1
AIs ejected: 1
Crew at start: 23 (included captain)
Of those crew, at end:
Healthy: 6
Mutated: 1
Permanently mauled: 2
Dead: 14
Casualty rate: 74%

It'll be a little while until my next CYOA I think. For some reason I thought I could get this done in three weeks - it was intended to be shorter than the Sword of the Bastard Elf. That didn't work out. We accounted for about 430 entries in this run alone (about 40 of those were in the "expansions" alone).

Anyway I will finally plug my Patreon - you can pre-order the e-book of Void Racers from there by pledging $5 or more (for the book, not per month) for a while. It's cheap because it's a long way off. As the publication date comes closer there'll be a kickstarter for the physical book as well. They will have good illustrations (because I won't be doing all of them, and not at 2am) and good writing (Applewhite is going to co-author a good chunk of it).

You can follow happenings on:
https://www.patreon.com/hermitskull
or on the facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/twofistedfantasy/
or on the Two-Fisted Fantasy webpage (actual design and "forums" coming soon:
http://twofistedfantasy.com

Thank y'all very much, I had a good time with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Gilganixon posted:

good writing

Gilganixon posted:

(Applewhite is going to co-author a good chunk of it).

But there is a contradiction?
I mean the bijou world was the most lackluster of all of them so yeah.

• Locked thread