Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Spend the time on the fueling and kit.

But go full tilt Count of Monte Croco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
How many days will we have spent on this planet when all is said and done?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Applewhite posted:

How many days will we have spent on this planet when all is said and done?

Wouldn't it be 4 days since we got here if we both refuel and make a repair kit?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Wouldn't it be 4 days since we got here if we both refuel and make a repair kit?

cool then we have time to jump to Thuban!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Honestly we should just make a straight path for the Human space federation and inform them of the threat that is comin this way. So they can blast the living poo poo out of it. Let's be honest from what I remember about the humans is they're religious zealots armed to the teeth with guns.

As long as we praise whatever space jesus they worship and tell them the other guys are space islamists we'll be okay.

BadgerSeat
Feb 28, 2006

Would you like to see where I keep my severed heads?
Refuel, make kit, pre jump procedure, jump to the next area.

What's the downside to getting rid of a crew members during a jump?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Also arrange an... :airquote:accident:airquote: for Chubbs.

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

replace chubbs with two haldian slaves in a trenchcoat

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

fancy sauces posted:

replace chubbs with two haldian slaves in a trenchcoat

I think we should just replace chubbs with a skink. Odds are they're more competent.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Skinks aren't allowed to take officer positions on Caiman ships but I think there was some way to do the trench coat thing with skinks and fool the caimans into thinking it's one of them?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Elukka posted:

Skinks aren't allowed to take officer positions on Caiman ships but I think there was some way to do the trench coat thing with skinks and fool the caimans into thinking it's one of them?

We just have him pay a visit to the shut in guy. Who I am convinced is dead and being puppeted around by skinks.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Nation posted:

Take everything but spend the downtime bribing the crew

If you're particularly worried about crapulence you can "bribe" caimans not to cause trouble by spending 10* their crapulence level of the cap'ns energy. It's an all or nothing thing - to stop Ghengis acting up you spend 40 energy and he doesn't contribute his crapulence score to the check that happens in the jump. Obviously you can't do this constantly because the captain isn't all that energetic and if you get to 0 energy you die, but you can always eat a valet to restore the energy if needed (and then you risk running out of valets - we start with five in the deck I think). The captain is currently on 60 energy after his away mission.

BadgerSeat posted:

Refuel, make kit, pre jump procedure, jump to the next area.

What's the downside to getting rid of a crew members during a jump?

Basically the captain and the valet hatch a Jeeves and Wooster style scheme to embarrass the crew member you want to get rid of. The valet does all the work naturally. The croc is automatically kicked out of the post (you remove him from play) and replace but you roll 1D6. If it's equal to or below the croc's current crapulence level the valet is eaten in the process, just like in Jeeves and Wooster. So you run a risk of losing a valet and you can only do this once per jump.

After the first jump the pre-jump checks are automatically assumed to take place.

Elukka posted:

This is true but the captain is as much of an rear end in a top hat about this as anyone else on board. He'd probably face a mutiny if he didn't respect the Caiman class system (but yeah there are a few non-Caimans in the deck and an expansion pack added a few more, happy to scan those crew into the mix as well if you want to use them).

Al Borland posted:

We just have him pay a visit to the shut in guy. Who I am convinced is dead and being puppeted around by skinks.

We can do that at any time by summoning him to the bridge - there's a little episode that plays out if we turn to 132:

Update:

We're sitting in the now uninhabited Haldus system, minding our own business. We've refueled and constructed spare hull plating and our gunner is recovering in sick bay - he will soon be available for duty. The star date is 2047-259, 5 star days after the destruction of the Caiman homeworld.

Hull plating:

Time to move on (443):

While this tells us where we can go, the short descriptions about each location are at the bottom of the page. This has been helpfully torn off by Two-Fisted Steve once again. Anyway, have a think about it. I know that if you want to go to Castula you need to go via Thuban and to get to Arich you need to go via Becrux. We're currently on the right course for Aludra.

Which place do we want to go to, and how much ship's energy do we give to the navigator? Reminder that we can spend up to 10* the navigator's expertise (9 in this case), and each 10 energy spent reduces the journey by 1 day.

Here's the adventure sheet:

E: We're in the red system:

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 22, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I say we jump to Aludra and burn 60 energy to get there faster so we can spend the whole five days in that sector.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it looks like in this play thru with the caimans we should avoid fighting unless we greatly outclass the enemy. Don't plan on using much energy for fighting, spend it all on getting from place to place as quickly as possible.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Yeah it looks like in this play thru with the caimans we should avoid fighting unless we greatly outclass the enemy. Don't plan on using much energy for fighting, spend it all on getting from place to place as quickly as possible.

The ship is pretty good and your guys can put up a decent fight on board the ship, but outside the ship against a decent opponent they're not good. The average human has 7 or 8 weapon skill for instance. In other words we're this guy not this guy

E:vvvv this book came out in '87 so possibly if it's something from the first series. The author supposedly didn't own a TV or have any actual interest in sci fi though so it's hard to tell for sure.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 22, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Correct me if I'm wrong but 442 is a TNG reference? I vaguely remember an episode where that happened.

Also Becrux

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
When this is over I would genuinely enjoy playing as another race and seeing how it shakes out. Your cyoas have been amazing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

When this is over I would genuinely enjoy playing as another race and seeing how it shakes out. Your cyoas have been amazing.

:agreed:
Breaking Keyfabe for a moment, I wanted to say that the storytelling and art have been so convincing that it's easy to forget momentarily that this isn't a real gamebook where we can go back and play as each and every race, which is exactly what I would do if I could.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
my vote is to go to thuban to end up in castula. we should give our mentat all sorts of energy

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Becrux. We should burn energy to get there faster in hopes of avoiding any Disco Alliance ships and finding the hidden shipyard before they do. Of course if we run into DA ships we can use the cloacaing device or have a dance-off for rights to travel through the system

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Claven666 posted:

Becrux. We should burn energy to get there faster in hopes of avoiding any Disco Alliance ships and finding the hidden shipyard before they do. Of course if we run into DA ships we can use the cloacaing device or have a dance-off for rights to travel through the system

If all else fails, we should be able to escape into The Forge. I remember playing as DA and heading there thinking I could get some sweet upgrades given the name. I was wrong. It's basically the hardest path for DA to go through there.

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

Thuban and Castula because Castula sounds like a floating castle solar system, which is neat and castles tend to have gold in them.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

If all else fails, we should be able to escape into The Forge. I remember playing as DA and heading there thinking I could get some sweet upgrades given the name. I was wrong. It's basically the hardest path for DA to go through there.

oh, that could gently caress with us pretty hard too. it just fucks with the Alliance way worse

i don't remember all of the "going through a spacial disturbance" table but it was somehting like

for every day spent exploring a Spacial Anomaly, roll 1d20 on the following table

Note: If you are playing as the Disco Alliance, you must add 4 to every roll. If your result is greater than 20, subtract 20 from the result.
If you are playing as the United States of Humanity and your result involves Space Madness, please roll on the Insanity and Altered Consciousness table.
If you are playing as the Catte Empire and your result is negative, increase your "Mutiny" score by 2.
If you are playing as the Caiman Republic and your result involves a fluctuation in "Energy" levels, please roll on the Genetic Damage and Mutations chart.

1-3: Nothing happens.

4-6: Your ship and weapons are recharged. Reset your "Energy" level to the maximum score and reset all cool-downs to zero days.

7-9: Your ship takes minor electrical damage. Lose 50 Energy.

10-12: Strange visions afflict the crew. Make an immediate Space Madness check.

12-14: Your ship takes major electrical damage. Lose 100 Energy.

14-16: Your ship and weapons are supercharged. Reset your energy level to the maximum score +50 energy. All of your weapons and special weapons fire automatically, but all cool-downs reset to zero.

17-19: Roll twice on the table. Both results apply.

20: I forget

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

minor update:

Here are our choices:

So far I count

3 for Becrux (in the Disco Alliance's path)
2 for Thuban (in the humans' path)
1 for Aludra in the next sector.

I'll count again later on.

Claven666 posted:

oh, that could gently caress with us pretty hard too. it just fucks with the Alliance way worse

i don't remember all of the "going through a spacial disturbance" table but it was somehting like

for every day spent exploring a Spacial Anomaly, roll 1d20 on the following table

Note: If you are playing as the Disco Alliance, you must add 4 to every roll. If your result is greater than 20, subtract 20 from the result.
If you are playing as the United States of Humanity and your result involves Space Madness, please roll on the Insanity and Altered Consciousness table.
If you are playing as the Catte Empire and your result is negative, increase your "Mutiny" score by 2.
If you are playing as the Caiman Republic and your result involves a fluctuation in "Energy" levels, please roll on the Genetic Damage and Mutations chart.

1-3: Nothing happens.

4-6: Your ship and weapons are recharged. Reset your "Energy" level to the maximum score and reset all cool-downs to zero days.

7-9: Your ship takes minor electrical damage. Lose 50 Energy.

10-12: Strange visions afflict the crew. Make an immediate Space Madness check.

12-14: Your ship takes major electrical damage. Lose 100 Energy.

14-16: Your ship and weapons are supercharged. Reset your energy level to the maximum score +50 energy. All of your weapons and special weapons fire automatically, but all cool-downs reset to zero.

17-19: Roll twice on the table. Both results apply.

20: I forget

Yeah it's something like that but it's on 3D6, because these games are all about probability curves. I'll scan it in if we get exposed to the radiation. It's very bad for the crocs but only if you care about your crew, which seems unlikely.

Applewhite posted:

Breaking Keyfabe for a moment, I wanted to say that the storytelling and art have been so convincing that it's easy to forget momentarily that this isn't a real gamebook where we can go back and play as each and every race, which is exactly what I would do if I could.

Thanks, that means a lot to me. This time round I'm going to build it out to a finished game with what we're playing through here as the rough. When it's done all four races plus at least one "secret" race should be playable from beginning to end. It's why I've focused on the rules so much on this playthrough.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
I think we should avoid confronting the other races too early. So I vote to go to Aldura.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Gilganixon posted:

Yeah it's something like that but it's on 3D6, because these games are all about probability curves. I'll scan it in if we get exposed to the radiation. It's very bad for the crocs but only if you care about your crew, which seems unlikely.

ah, right, it's 17-18: roll twice and 20 never existed, which is good because my stupid brain made me think it was 20: all results happen in order which would be just plain nuts

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Becrux i want space madness

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gilganixon posted:

minor update:

Here are our choices:

So far I count

3 for Becrux (in the Disco Alliance's path)
2 for Thuban (in the humans' path)
1 for Aludra in the next sector.

I'll count again later on.

Count me as a vote for Thuban. Also:

quote:

Thanks, that means a lot to me. This time round I'm going to build it out to a finished game with what we're playing through here as the rough. When it's done all four races plus at least one "secret" race should be playable from beginning to end. It's why I've focused on the rules so much on this playthrough.

:krad:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nation posted:

Becrux i want space madness

I think we need to harvest some sweet ancient space-tech from the forge.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Every single croc on this ship is just slowing SuGABA down.

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

Gilganixon posted:

Does this mean I could one day finally give you money for these insane creations, you mad brilliant bastard?!

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Alright Becrux but at warned: The robots will try to data assimilate us , or as they funkadelically try to abbreviate it: datass. what ever the cost we must stop them from getting datass. So I suggest we use the cloacaing device.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Looks as though we're heading to Becrux, and I'm going to guess we want to do as fast as possible.

Since we're entering the warp we have a Crapulence check to perform. You get to attempt "adjustments" to the crew before this check so let's look at our situation and options.

I don't think I explained what Crapulence does - it's a check against leadership. You roll leadership + FISTS - if your roll is above the CRAPULENCE level you pass, if equal to or less than you fail. If you fail you are directed to turn to a certain page where something fairly horrible happens. We've had bad luck and had a couple of big increases so we can conceivably start failing these checks soon.

We've got two problem officers - Chubbs McKenzie, the critically wounded weapons officer, and Ghengis Rex, the crappy and crapulent engineer. Either is a good candidate for spacing.

We have two real options that will prevent us from dying at this early stage.

Option 1: Use 70 energy to get to Becrux in one day. Send your valet to get rid of Chubbs, with a 50% chance of that Valet being eaten. Either way we'll get a new weapons officer. Since this is a LP and not the actual game we can pick the officer and not just draw him randomly from the deck like the rules say we should.

Option 2: Use 60 energy to get to Becrux in two days, allowing your weapons officer to recover. Spend 10 energy on the medbay treatment he needs to get to as close to full health as possible. Send the valet to get rid of Ghengis Rex (he has a 1 in 3 chance of being eaten). We will wind up with a better engineer this way.

You might be able to think of something else. Getting rid of either of these two means the Crapulence check will auto pass, which it should at this stage in the game.

If you think we can do better we can summon the security officer (shields guy), as suspected there's something fishy about him. - although we could wait until later to do that if you guys want since he's not that bad.

There's going to be a short delay before I can scan in the pages for Becrux - it'll probably be roughly this time tomorrow. In the meantime let's resolve matters on the ship. I hope you guys like angry robots and radiation because that's the Forge for you!

fancy sauces posted:

Does this mean I could one day finally give you money for these insane creations, you mad brilliant bastard?!

I intend for the pdf and probably the vidja game versions of this to be free/donationware when completed. If I can get it together to kickstart the box set it'll cost money which you can spend for this thing if you are so inclined.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Every single croc on this ship is just slowing SuGABA down.

This is true and SuGaBA is keenly aware of it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Summon Ironjaw.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Applewhite posted:

:monocle:
It appears that I am quite the fool! Brilliant work, Gilganixon. Or I'm just an idiot.

Also, Page 132, please. Tell Ironjaw to get his rear end up here.

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 23, 2015

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Option 2. This one give us the smallest chance of our valet being eaten.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
option 2, we can always send chubbs on a suicide away mission later

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

comedyblissoption posted:

Summon Ironjaw.

Also how could you guys not go to Deneb? We should be running towards the humans and making these aliens their problems too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Obscil posted:

Option 2. This one give us the smallest chance of our valet being eaten.

Voting for this one, too.

Although, now that I think of it, is there an option to use the medical bay to fuse two Haldian slaves into a single fake-Croc that we could replace a crewman with? A mind-controlled chimeric abomination would probably be about as good as a regular Croc crewman, and could give us an edge in crapulence rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Voting for this one, too.

Although, now that I think of it, is there an option to use the medical bay to fuse two Haldian slaves into a single fake-Croc that we could replace a crewman with? A mind-controlled chimeric abomination would probably be about as good as a regular Croc crewman, and could give us an edge in crapulence rolls.

Won't be able to do that until The Forge and the results are interesting since they can come out with stats only available to other species, but all of their stats are random.

• Locked thread