Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Blue Star Error posted:

BSEs foolproof guide to being a cool knowledgeable Arsenal fan.

Step 1: Agree with everything Wenger says and does

wenger is a past it stubborn old gently caress but i love him all the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Blue Star Error posted:

I got out my advanced stats machine to look at the state of play with coefficients and I still think its possible for Italy to overtake England this season.

Italy currently only need to obtain 2 more coefficient points than England from this point on, there's a lot of permutations but it would likely be achieved if 3 Italian teams can make it 1 round further than all the English teams (or 1 Italian team gets 3 rounds further and so on).

Do the Europa League teams have much of an effect? Can a Napoli win and a Liverpool loss make the difference?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Blue Star Error posted:

He doesn't know which country he's from

lol

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

The X-man cometh posted:

Do the Europa League teams have much of an effect? Can a Napoli win and a Liverpool loss make the difference?

They have the same impact on coefficients that CL games do.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The Europa league teams from Serie A are much better than the CL teams.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

The X-man cometh posted:

A win in either competition is worth 2 points, a draw is worth 1. Champions League however has more scope for bonus points, you get 4 points per team in the group stage, 4 points per team in the knockout stage, plus 1 point per team in each stage beyond. In the Europa League you only get 1 bonus point per team per round from the quarter finals onwards.

The points are then divided by the number of teams that country had in Europe so for example a win for an Italian team is worth 0.33 (2 / 6) while a win for an English team is worth 0.25 (2 / 8).

So yeah Europa League could have a big impact if one country's team's takes it more seriously than the other.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
How close is England to actually losing a CL spot?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

blue footed boobie posted:

How close is England to actually losing a CL spot?

For it to happen this season, Italian teams have to win about 5/6 more matches than English teams from this point onwards, maybe more, maybe less depending on various outcomes. So unlikely but by no means impossible.

Next year 11/12 drops out of contention which is a season where England had a 4 point lead on Italy, which will almost certainly give Italy a 2-4 point lead going to the season.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Blue Star Error posted:

For it to happen this season, Italian teams have to win about 5/6 more matches than English teams from this point onwards, maybe more, maybe less depending on various outcomes. So unlikely but by no means impossible.

Next year 11/12 drops out of contention which is a season where England had a 4 point lead on Italy, which will almost certainly give Italy a 2-4 point lead going to the season.

So basically finishing 4th next season means Europa league.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

So basically finishing 4th next season means Europa league.

Possible, but it seems more likely to be the season after.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Blue Star Error posted:

Possible, but it seems more likely to be the season after.

This should really light a fire under Liverpool and Spurs to take the Europa League seriously.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Dont' bet on the Italian teams doing anything in the CL, Roma will get smashed by whatever team they draw on their current form and Juve will struggle to get through more than the next round, if that.

The EL teams have a good chance to do well but Napoli and Fiorentina are all well in the hunt for a domestic title (if Fiorentina doesn't cock up today, which is a big if) and Lazio is starting to fall apart, so who knows. I think it's plausible next year because of the yearly drop, but this year would be difficult.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arsenal will finish fourth, but Wengy's going to win the CL and retain England's fourth CL spot and ride into the sunset as the ultimate master of the 4th place trophy.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

blue footed boobie posted:

Arsenal will finish fourth, but Wengy's going to win the CL and retain England's fourth CL spot and ride into the sunset as the ultimate master of the 4th place trophy.

Arsenal will get bummed by anyone who isn't Wolfsburg or Zenit. Will finish the league second, no trophies.

This is my prediction.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

T Bowl posted:

Arsenal will get bummed by anyone who isn't Wolfsburg or Zenit. Will finish the league second, no trophies.

This is my prediction.

Yeah this is more likely

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Gigi Galli posted:

Roma will get smashed by whatever team they draw on their current form

i want them to draw bayern for maximum comedy, this season's already in the bin so might as well have a few laughs

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Ah yes, another Bayern Arsenal match zzz. I hope Platini or whoever is in charge nowadays doesn't microwave the draw balls, I'd like some new matches. Real Madrid - Arsenal could be tasty and Bernabeu would chant Özils name ftw. Man City - PSG for the Emirates showdown and Chelsea- Juve pls

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

arsenal can't draw bayern this round

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hegay posted:

Ah yes, another Bayern Arsenal match zzz.

you'll never recover from this

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Homework Explainer posted:

i want them to draw bayern for maximum comedy, this season's already in the bin so might as well have a few laughs

first team to make it to the knockouts after conceding 16 goals....first team to go out of the knockouts after conceding 16 goals?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gigi Galli posted:

first team to make it to the knockouts after conceding 16 goals....first team to go out of the knockouts after conceding 16 goals?

Thats not a funny number!!!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

straight up brolic posted:

haha sick burn now please stop talking about basketball and leave this forum

Lol

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Hegay posted:

Ah yes, another Bayern Arsenal match zzz. I hope Platini or whoever is in charge nowadays doesn't microwave the draw balls, I'd like some new matches. Real Madrid - Arsenal could be tasty and Bernabeu would chant Özils name ftw. Man City - PSG for the Emirates showdown and Chelsea- Juve pls

ephex posted:

you'll never recover from this

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Thats not a funny number!!!

Yes but it's real and that makes it the funniest number of all.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

apoel nicosia have reached the quarter finals of the champions league more often than arsenal in the past 5 seasons

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Gigi Galli posted:

Yes but it's real and that makes it the funniest number of all.

I'm pretty sure if all the real numbers were funny numbers modern cryptography would cease to work

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

I think Bayern are currently entering their "Bayerndrama" mode, everyone is fearing that Pep will say goodbye and they will come out of the winter break half as good as they went into it for whatever reason. Somehow they'll botch the cup again and get out of the CL in the semi finals against Barca.

With the local league title in their pockets but nothing else left to win and 10 games left to play, the team will enter gently caress-all mode and Pep will have a Schmelzrunter and leave for Chelsea.

Löw will be happy though.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Juventus will take Pep please

quiet enjoyment
May 11, 2009
Dreaming about Arsenal winning the CL this year... Just like Giroud's heavy touch on my body it will never happen.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

quiet enjoyment posted:

Dreaming about Arsenal winning the CL this year... Just like Giroud's heavy touch on my body it will never happen.

One of those things could happen....

http://m.costumecraze.com/product.html?prod_sku=CNDY21

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Giroud's touch owns tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

EC10 posted:

Giroud's touch owns tho

hmmm, sounds like you're thinking instead of feeling. educate yourself

the coolest person alive posted:

I found a great quote when I, without any goal, just lazily googled around (which I too often do). Do you want to hear? No? I'll tell it anyway, and I do it with joy: "This world is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel".

Why is it good? Why has the British writer Horace Walpole, who has been dead for a couple of hundred years, managed to capture my interest? Because the quote rings true. At least for me. The more I think, the easier I have to see the humor in Arsène Wenger's nervousness. The more I feel, the easier I become annoyed with those who see the humor in Arsene Wenger's nervousness.

Football and love are two areas where I more often feel rather than think, where I take strange decision, and reach emotional states that I didn’t know I had. This means that I suffer when I watch my Arsenal, with other people who don’t care as much as I do. Those who think instead of feel. Those who laughs when Per Mertesacker slip, those who mock Mikel Arteta perfect hairstyle. Right there and then, I hate these people enormously.

I think I have come to the realization that there will always be this way: that I will always be an emotional wreck when Arsenal play. I don’t know if it is always healthy, but I have a feeling that it sometimes can be useful to switch between emotions - to exploit the full emotional spectrum, which can often be severely underutilized in human beings. When the match is over, the grieving process begins, but during the game all feelings are allowed. Even crying (when Thierry Henry made his comeback for Arsenal in January 2012 and scored against Leeds in the FA Cup tears came, totally unexpected, which I don’t seem entirely comfortable with telling you guys, so therefore it pops up in this parenthesis rather than in the real text).

I know how non-football people, "normal" people, look at this. They think I'm ridiculous. But I think like this: if you have children, you understand how other parents are feeling. Right? And when your child, a little bit clumsy, walks into a door and starts crying, you obviously don’t laugh even though you from on an intellectual viewpoint can see the humor in the situation (and perhaps wish that you had captured the incident on video and could send it to one of these bloopers shows on TV). It works exactly the same way with football supporters. And I don’t mean supporters like my brother that once every six months watch a match with Liverpool, and only discuss them when they are playing like they did the spring 2014. He’s a non-committed dad in that way. He doesn’t care about the team's development, crises, all the interesting stuff that only one who looks really carefully can see – he just want to be part of the fun when there is fun to be part of. He isn’t like many of us who have daily contact with our children, i.e. our favorite club; we who update us about injuries, and watch all sorts of interviews to get a better feel for how the atmosphere is among the players. We, the committed parents (I really don’t think I can stretch this analogy further now…).

How you relate to football are obviously individually and as Buddha said: “Nothing is better or worse than the other”. But I always try to argue for friends, family, and really every person I encounter, the interesting thing that happens when you truly surrenders to a team; to this strange emotional roller coaster, where you let a bunch of strangers decide how you will feel in the near future. I know how that sounds, it sounds so drat irrational.

But that's also the beauty of loving a team: to decide that at least once a week to feel rather than think; not to reflect or ridicule the feelings that arise, but just dive into the sensations that occur when Olivier Giroud receive the ball with a too heavy touch and see where they take you.

• Locked thread