Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
The Ravenholm level with the Slavic priest was cool.

Naughty Dog should just make their own game about Slavic priests imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
try Stalker

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Xaris posted:

HL2 was really good at the time and Orange Box pretty much coincided with steam not being poo poo and huge pc gaming revival. 2003-2007ish was pretty dark times with the worst lovely pc ports (If they ever came out), overbloomed garbage and bad controls with almsot no options.

it's pretty dated now though, both graphically and dumb physucks gimmicky stuff.

I don't know. 2004 was probably one of the best years ever for PC gaming: Half-Life 2, World of Warcraft, Far Cry, Doom 3. But there was definitely a dark period of a few years around the release of the PS3 and Xbox 360 where the PC was becoming an afterthought and Steam changed that and revived PC gaming. It didn't help that pretty much every PC gamer was pouring all of their money and time into World of Warcraft during this period and ignoring all other games.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
naughty dog??? naughty DON'T

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd be happy if they just made loving Episode 3 already

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Valve could have just released a decent 6 hour Episode 3 in 2009 or something and just ended all this poo poo. They have noone to blame but themselves.

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 16, 2015

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Agag posted:

The Ravenholm level with the Slavic priest was cool.

Naughty Dog should just make their own game about Slavic priests imo.
i have around 21 hours in hl2 and a good 8 of them are me trying to figure out what the hell to do in ravenholm

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I'd prefer Naughty Dog brings us Way of The Warrior 2: Revenge of Shaky Jake.

god damnit I came here to post this

way of the warrior was so terrible but so great

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Thread needs more Alyx:

HL3 engine looking great.

Gabe said they just need to tighten up the graphics on level 3.

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.
The only way I can see HL3 being released is as an exclusive to the steam box (At least for a good while, or until the hacked PC version comes out). Might push a lot of people to buy the drat things before they get their disappointment.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Gabe is probably saving Half Life 3 for whenever he wants to get into the console biz for realsies. Not a dumb steambox or whatever they call it, a legit console with exclusives when he wants to throw down against Microsoft and Sony on their own turf.

Probably just sitting on his steam money printer waiting for his medium sized fortune to grow into astronomical sizes so his company can stand the colossal financial hit it'll take for him to survive a system cycle or two, the same way Gates did with his first few xboxes before he ever turned a profit.

That's it for my tin foil hat theories, have a nice day.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

AMPLITUDE should make HL3

invest in crowbar tech early on IMO

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Valve realized it can just ride on Steam sales, TF2 hats, and DOTA cosmetics, and let its playerbase develop content for the latter two.

Maybe in like 20 years when Valve is bankrupt and Gaben died a long time ago to a heart attack, a desperate Valve employee with start a Kickstarter for Half-Life 3...

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Bro Dad posted:

the actual reason it will never be made is that valve has a real fuckin dumb management structure (no job titles! disrupt!) which has turned into cliquish working groups with no direction while gaben plays dota in his office

The Ion Storm theory. Gabe Newell's about make you his bitch.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The PC port of Halo is and will always be Gearbox's best game.

Halo PC is the most disappointing port I ever came across. They half-assed the online multiplayer and it runs worse than any mainstream fps in existence. 343 improved it ever so slightly with MCC on the Xbone, but it's still awful and MCC has it's own host of problems. It's a shame that Halo 1 will never get a proper online experience. It's such a good multiplayer game. If I were rich, I would indulge in some human trafficking and LAN blood gulch with people I purchased.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
They had a teaser with source 2 images using left 4 dead. Also what the hell is Dota and why are the nerds in my programming classes have shirts with the logo like it's a sports team?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bro Dad posted:

the actual reason it will never be made is that valve has a real fuckin dumb management structure (no job titles! disrupt!) which has turned into cliquish working groups with no direction while gaben plays dota in his office
there's literally no way to carry the story forward, teasing the plot of the sequel within the game itself was dumb poo poo

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Robo Reagan posted:

try Stalker

my favourite moment in stalker was walking past a group of dudes and they all said "HEY BRO" in a Russian accent at the same time and it lagged my game

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
at this point it's just intellectually lazy, finish the loving story you started you assholes

it's like lost all over again, gently caress you lindelof you hack

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Gordon was dead the whole time...

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

ArtIsResistance posted:

my favourite moment in stalker was walking past a group of dudes and they all said "HEY BRO" in a Russian accent at the same time and it lagged my game

Dont just stand there, come in!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

rabble rabble posted:

at this point it's just intellectually lazy, finish the loving story you started you assholes

it's like lost all over again, gently caress you lindelof you hack

They should just make some e-comic and sell it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Edgar posted:

They had a teaser with source 2 images using left 4 dead. Also what the hell is Dota and why are the nerds in my programming classes have shirts with the logo like it's a sports team?

dota is a Warcraft 3 mod that got way too popular and spawned its own genre. At this point it pretty much is a sport as laughable as that sounds.

GreatPhoenix
Nov 9, 2004

Woah, you just wrinkled my brain!

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I'd prefer Naughty Dog brings us Way of The Warrior 2: Revenge of Shaky Jake.

Oh my God I've been trying to find this game for years! I didn't buy game magazines often as a kid, so I would reread the issue of one I had with Mortal Kombat 2 secrets several times and it also had several pages devoted to Way of the Warrior, and I could remember wanting to play it because it just looked so ridiculous but so fascinating.

love my preemies!
Sep 26, 2004

New hl3 idea : whenever gordon gets hit by a missile, he shouts "the next one better be filled with cum!"

New hl3 idea : alyx is constantly drunk, staggers around with no shirt on and a bottle of whiskey.

New hl3 idea : gman reveals his name (Gary Mann) and reveals his privates in public right after. He gets arrested. You have break him out.

New hl3 idea : HEV suit replaced with HIV suit. Alyx almost give gordon a hug but freaks out and says "aw gently caress that"

New hl3 idea : dog gets killed by a giant combine robot that looks like a mailman.

I think I'd make the best half life game. :madmax:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

release half-life 3, except a few minutes in it starts to slowly become a frog fractions sequel

GewuerzKahn
Jan 7, 2014

My opposable nipples are hurting me.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Valve realized it can just ride on Steam sales, TF2 hats, and DOTA cosmetics, and let its playerbase develop content for the latter two.

I hate gamers. gently caress all of them.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

yo should i play episode 2?

i hear episode 1 is a stinker.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
half life 1 owned

half life 2 is the most overhyped piece of bullshit game ive ever played. doom 3 was better

those are my opinions

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Valve basically has a license to print money with steam, I doubt we'll see or hear anything of HL3 until they either get desperate or the game's gone through a dozen reworks ala TF2

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
The way valve employees work is they work on whatever the hell they want to work on, so HL3 is gonna be a while

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Fonzarelli posted:

yo should i play episode 2?

i hear episode 1 is a stinker.

ep1 was good imo, it had the things i liked in hl2 with none of the things i disliked ie loads of shooting and no vehicle stuff. ep2 is loads of vehicle stuff so it sucks

also the ending of ep2 tied in with portal and that was so stupid that it prob contributed to ep3 never being made

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

actually portal is cool and fun, portal 2 was even cooler because stephen merchant, so combing two good things can only make an even cooler thing, so

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

plrtal is fine, a portal hl crossover is dumb poo poo that belongs in a deviantart page

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

hey everybody that dang ol gravity gun plumb broke on us we should mosey on over to two fort town where our old pal the engineer will fix er up quick as a jiffy yeeeeehaw

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No. 6 posted:

HL good
HL2 great

Any other opinion is wrong and trash.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
dota 2 is still hillariously unfinished and valve only cares about it in so much as it lets them make money off virtual hats. and the recent reborn update broken at least two game modes entirely and has had bugs that range from annoying to hilariously ruining tournament games. it's like they don't care.

half life 3 would be a disappointment on a massive scale because valve has just kind of stopped making games and doesn't do much beyond the bare minimum for the ones they still support.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
or like when they suddenly came out and said that dota 2 was out of beta despite not being feature complete, missing heroes, etc just so they could stop working on it as much. but what else are people going to do? play HOTS or LOL?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

cs:go is a fun game

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

when people say they play counterstrike i check to make sure i wasn't somehow transported to the 90's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UouPQK6Jryw

• Locked thread