Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's been so long since his rise. Few alive remember it now clearly. It is not the first time. He was weaker, before. Just a man. At least, we tell ourselves that. We may never know for sure. He has taken so much from us. Even a century ago, many had forgotten how to read, or never learned. They say that even three centuries ago, everyone could read, in as many languages as there were nations in the world. But I say that's hogwash. A dream, and nothing more. Keep yourself safe, child. Burn any books you find, or he will come to burn them for you.

Varethax of the Ash like Snow, his minions call him. Varethax of the Burning. To you, he is Varethax the Destroyer. The Burner of Books. Varethax the Betrayer, who took their trust and ruined them with it.

He is a man, perhaps six feet tall at most. But his eyes glow like embers. His clothing is exquisite, a shining beacon in the black ash he leaves in his wake. If you saw him from behind, it would be hard to call him terrifying - just a rich man in a world where there are so few left. But at his beck and call, they come. Every move he makes is power and menace. At his word, the books burned, so long ago. At his command, the great forces of the world trembled and cities fell.

He did not explain himself. When he came at first, all he said was 'I am searching.' And when he left, he gave no explanation. He said only this: 'Kill the scholars. Burn the books. Leave only ash.'

And his forces did. Sometimes, he would spare a city - but never a book. Never a library. Never a scholar, unless they swore themselves to him forever.

But all hope is not yet lost. While even among those lands that resist, literacy is rare and books rarer, there are those who stand against the Betrayer and his forces. They have chosen their best and brightest - those who have the only hope of defeating the Burner of Books. The only hope before all knowledge is lost in his mad quest for...something. Something that no one seems to understand.

You are the chosen. The Fellowship. The only hope.

You can find the playbooks here, posted with Gnome's permission.
You can back the Kickstarter here for the full book.

What I want out of potential players is this: Choose your playbook and tell me something. If you want options that aren't yet detailed, pick 'em anyway. We'll figure something out, even if I have to bug Gnome a little and make him wish he hadn't let me post the playbooks. Then, tell me about yourself! If nothing else, I want to know:

Who are you, and why did you want to join the Fellowship?

Why did your people choose you to join the Fellowship, and what have they lost to the Betrayer?

What will you protect from the Betrayer, no matter what?

I'll be answering any questions here in the thread or, if required, on #persona or #swampthings in SynIRC. I will post my Overlord playbook once picks are made. I'm looking for four to six people for PBP here, and apps will be open...uh, at least a week, possibly a bit more?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And here I thought I'd have to wait until April to play this! Definitely whipping up something, maybe a squire.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have this super good idea for some horrible things this guy could have done, holy poo poo. I am so in.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Exciting! Going to app a Halfling Dwarf once I get my head around the rules.

edit: dwarf and halfling already got, maybe I'll try an elf

edit 2:

quote:

My people have seen tyrants rise many times.

Since the Old Days, the Mist Days, the days after the Star Fall when the cities of my people fell from the skies and came to this world. First, the City of Glass by the sea. Bannos, the Shaped Forest. And my home, Cohlkuz, the City of Basalt.

In all this time, however, no tyrant has lasted so long and has burned such a swath on the world. Upon the kingdoms of men, upon the deephalls of the dwarves, upon the freeholds of the halflings, there has never been such a scourge, such a burning brand of tyranny and ignorance as the Betrayer.

And so my people awaken, the oldest people, the Children of the Stars. We have begun to stir once more, reading the omens in the heavens that were once our homes. We have once again stoked the engines that even we barely understand anymore and gird ourselves with the weapons crafted worlds away. Our soldiers and our creatures of war, altered from those of this world so many years ago, stand ready to aid those of this world in war.

quote:

My name is Parlabane, of Cohlkuz, one of the Great Cities of the Oldest People. I am a hunter and envoy, experienced in diplomacy and battle. I wished to join this Fellowship because unlike many of my people, I have spent much of my life outside of the Great Cities and have known many people of the Younger Peoples. These people cannot be left to their own devices. While my people make decisions and preparations, I wish to act sooner. We cannot wait for the schedule of the stars.

quote:

Why did your people choose you to join the Fellowship...

I was chosen for my experience with the outside and the Younger Peoples I have gained in my time as envoy. I have travelled far and seen much of the world outside.

quote:

...and what have they lost to the Betrayer?

Our cities are few: unlike the Younger Peoples, we have never spread out over the world and made it ours. Our cities, aside from Second, the New City, remain those that fell from the skies in the Old Days.
That is why the loss of Barqa, the City of Memory, struck us so deeply, so keenly. One of the Great Cities falling to the Betrayer was an act of violence to the Star-Children unlike anything in our remembered history. A crime. A blasphemy.
Unforgivable.

quote:

Another Great City cannot fall to the Betrayer. We will not bow our heads, not we who are so old, and we will not burn, not before going to war as we have never before.

Parlabane, the Elf

Look: Indigo skin, sharp features, black eyes, white hair, spindly body, robes

Blood +0
Courage +1
Grace +2
Sense +2
Wisdom -1

Agenda: Elven Superiority- It is your duty to protect the lesser creatures

Elf Core

Elder Arts
When you call upon the elven power that humans sometimes call magic, choose a spell from below, then mark it. You cannot use a spell while it is marked. When you Fill Your Belly, remove a mark from one spell. When you Recover, remove all marks on your spells.

•Camouflage: Becomes invisible and undetectable This lasts until you attack or decide to make yourself known.
•Keen Sense: Ask a single question about your surroundings, and immediately receive a truthful answer.
•Sense Magic: Immediately know what here is magical and where it is. If nothing here is magical here, you do not mark this spell
•Whisper on the Wind: Send a message to anyone you have a Bond with. They will hear it whispered in their ears moments after you send it, and can reply of up to five words.
This move cannot be Shared.

Touch the World Lightly
You can safely walk on top of snow, across thin tree branches,
along precarious ledges, or on top of held weaponry. You can also runs along walls, ups trees, or across treacherous surfaces safely, although only for shorts distances Yous do not needs to roll to Overcome when performing these feats, although you may still needs to roll to Get Away.

What is an Elf?
Star Elf
Your people come from beyond the skies and your technology is highly advanced. You start with High-Tech Gizmos (2 Uses, Useful, Elf-Made) in your Gear.
Instead of burning any non-elf who holds them, Elf-Made items electrocute any non-elf attempting to use them without proper training, causing them to pass out where they stand.

Elven Custom

Elfsight
Your eyes are unnaturally good, and ou can see fine detail even through the darkest night or densest fog. When you Look Closely, you may study any location you can see, no matter how distant, as if you were standing right there.

Way With Words
When you Speak Softly to someone who respects or fears you, you may roll at +Grace instead of +Wisdom or +Sense. When you Speak Softly, you may also ask, “What do they desire most?” regardless of the result of your roll.

Elven Gear
Elven bread (Food, 4 uses)
Hunter’s bow (Ranged, Elf-Made, 3 ammo)
Puzzle-Pyramid (2 Uses, Useful, Elf-Made)
Traveling Obelisk (Twelve, A Mind of it's Own, Mobile Cover)
Beyonderhawk (Kuree, Go For the Eyes, Eagle Eye)
Knife of star-metal (Melee, Elf-Made) and an extra quiver (3 ammo)
Starheart (1 use, Elf-Made). You can Use this item to remove a mark from one of your Elder Arts.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 16, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, upon reading this I pretty much immediately had a Harbinger idea and now I have to app. Will try to get that written soon.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Expressing a definite interest here - going Squire. I'll be boring and call his People human for now. It may change depending on the final Fellowship selections.

pre:
Name: Kay 
Look: Nice hat, peasant's clothes, determined eyes, thin body.
Agenda:Be Brave, Take Risks; Tell Us Of Your People; Improve The World Around You; They Need Me

Stats:
Blood:   -1 [ ]
Courage: +2 [ ]
Grace:   +1 [ ]
Sense:   +2 [ ]
Wisdom:  +0 [ ] 

quote:

Squire Core:

Fast Friends
When you spend a scene by someone's side, or Speak Softly with them, you may gain a Bond with them immediately.
You can have an unlimited amount of Bonds with anybody. People who you have Bonds with do not become Companions. You do not have enough pull with the Fellowship to just recruit people. Those you have Bonds with think well of you, and will not try to harm you if they can help it, regardless of their feelings for the rest of the Fellowship.

Please, Just Listen
When you Talk Sense to someone, you may erase a Bond with them instead of making a strong argument, or instead of paying a price for them on a 7-9

It's Dangerous To Go Alone
When you follow someone into danger and keep your eyes peeled for trouble, roll +Sense.
On a 10+, gain 2 Safety points.
On a 7-9, you gain 1 Safety point. You can spend 1 point of safety to protect them from harm - shove them out of the way, warn them just in time, block an attack, that sort of thing.
On a 6-, you gain 1 Safety anyway, but when you spend it, you take the harm they avoided.
You lose all Safety points as soon as you get through the danger or they choose to stop moving forward.

What Is Your Purpose?

Keep Them Safe
You are here to make sure they come back home after this is all over, no matter what.
When you are with someone you have a bond with and they take harm, you may take that harm in their place.

Squire Custom

Apprentice
When you work alongside someone you have a Bond with, you can dedicate yourself to making them look good.
They are filled with Hope for all rolls as long as you stick right by their side, but whenever they pay a price or roll a 6-, you must pay a price as well.

Power of Friendship
Your Bonds have the tags Precious and Useful, and you can Use them by erasing them.

Advancement

Bonds

Your People
Humans

Squire's Gear

Food (5 Uses, Food) [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Traveller's Gear (3 Uses, Useful) [ ] [ ] [ ]
A Simple Sword (Melee)
Under-Armor (1 Use, Armor) [ ]
Bandages (1 Use, Healing, Slow) [ ]
Some Extra Food (4 Uses, Food) [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
The Overlord's Weakness

I don't know why you're asking me - I'm no one, really. The Fellowship's got warriors and scholars and strange people like I've never even seen before. <Other character> brought me along to help, and I'm way out of my depth. It's not that I don't want to help, it's that I have no idea how; everyone here's so incredible.

Why did your people choose you to join the Fellowship, and what have they lost to the Betrayer?
The Fellowship is like nothing else we've ever seen. The idea of The Betrayer gone, it's almost too good to be true. But seeing the Fellowship, such great and powerful people working together, you can't help but believe it's possible. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that? They say there's scholars in secret, that some of the rich folk even learned to read. That's never been an option for the little people; we can't run or hide from the Betrayer, so we've always just submitted. I didn't even know what a book was until my tenth summer. What have we lost? We've lost the ability to even learn what we've lost.

The Fellowship. At the end of the day, they're the best the world has to offer - the smartest, the strongest, the wisest, the most important. They've brought hope to me and my people, and I'll do whatever it takes to keep that alive. If I have to trade my life for one of their's, it's a trade worth making. I just hope I don't have to...

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 17, 2015

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
That is some excellent timing Mors. Apping a radical bibliophile Orc.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Dvalin, son of Dain

I am Dvalin. My father is Dain, the Lord of Khazul-dan and Warden of the Memories. Since I was born, my life has been duty, service, determination. The dwarves wage a war in the darkness, far beneath the feet of the halflings and elves of the sunlit lands. We fight to preserve our records, the memories of our ancestors. We fight to ensure that topsiders aren't outflanked and destroyed. We fight because we have always fought.

When the Betrayer rose, the dwarves retreated into their fortresses, warrens of stone and silence. At their height, they were places of grandeur, lit by the light of ten thousand lamps refracted through countless gemstones, until the night beneath the earth shone like noontime. Dwarves were born, labored, and died beneath the earth, never seeing the sun, for who needed it? We had our Memories, the great edifices of crystal engraved with the knowledge of the ancients; our knowledge was writ in stone, not paper. What had we to fear from the Betrayer?

On the Night of Breaking, we learned.

Agents of the Betrayer, awful creatures of the subterranean night, rose and overwhelmed our defenders. First one Stonehold, then another fell to the unstoppable tide. Lamps were extinguished forever, for his minions do not need light to see. Blood coursed through the canals and waterfalls of Ghan-haran, most beautiful of the dwarven cities. And in each Stonehold, the Memories were shattered. Knowledge beyond accounting was lost forever. It is said the ancient dwarves came from somewhere far away, and the tale of their journey was scattered across the Memories. We will never know, now.

Only a bare few of the dwarven cities remain. Their kingdom is lost. Only one Stonehold remains: Khazul-dan, the Shield in the Darkness. It is a martial place, spartan and cold. Only the elaborate carvings show the beauty the dwarves are capable of; they have little time for luxury now. Every dwarf spends a period of time in the military, defending the last extant Memories and the few Remembrancers still trained to read them. There are other dwarven settlements, even further behind the lines-- outposts, mining facilities, even a small city or two-- but if Khazul-dan falls, they will not be far behind. The line is drawn here, and it is drawn in stone, not sand. The dwarves will stand. We have always done so. But... the time has come to admit that we cannot stand alone.

My father, Dain, knew this. He sent me, his only son, to join this "Fellowship," for only I have the authority to speak in his name, and he could not be spared. The night-war continues, even now, and dwarves are dying in darkness while we speak. But if we did nothing, their deaths would be in vain. If this Fellowship has any hope of bringing down the Betrayer, then it has my axe and my Thunderer, my will and my blood. The Memories of my people lie but a day's journey from the front lines of this war. It must be ended before they are broken, or the dwarves will have lost their ancestors forever.

Dhuran kharag. I will not permit it.

My people are engineers and warriors of the highest quality. We build engines of steel and flame to illuminate the subterranean gloom with their thundering. We craft weapons capable of cleaving stone, if wielded in capable hands. I am trained in battle, yes, but also in the secrets of turaghaz, black powder. I have much to offer the Fellowship. And I look forward to learning from it.
pre:
Name: Dvalin, son of Dain, the Lord of Khazul-dan and Warden of the Memories
Look: Hard eyes, braided beard, pale skin, soldier's armor
Agenda: Be Brave, Take Risks; Tell Us Of Your People; Improve The World Around You; The Dwarven Craft
Stats:
	Blood      +2 [   ]
	Courage  +0 [   ]
	Grace      -1  [   ]
	Sense       +1 [   ]
	Wisdom  +1 [   ]
	*Iron       +2 [   ]

quote:

Moves:
- People of Stone: Overcome through sheer stubbornness or tenacity by rolling +Iron.
- Unbreakable: Heal Iron stat by Filling Your Belly.
- Clear The Path (Iron): Charge through something standing between you and your destination, rolling +Iron. 7+, you charge through and leave a path for others. 7-9, your charge
causes problems: you go alone, or leave yourself open to danger, or damage something important.
- All That Glitters: When you enter a place and something doesn't feel right, ask the Overseer if there is a trap or ambush here. They will answer honestly.
- Let Me See That: Take a few moments to handle or examine an interesting item, vehicle or architecture, and ask the Overlord two of these questions:
  • Who made this, and why should I care about them?
  • What was this made to do, and how do I use it or break it?
  • What's wrong with this, and how might I fix it?
What Is A Dwarf?
- Deepdelve. When the Burner began his rampage across the world, the Dwarves retreated into the depths of the earth, building great fortresses of stone and silence. They thought they would be safe there. But Varethax's minions found their way into the passages between dwarven holds, and the deep-folk have been locked in a deadly struggle for survival ever since. Add a Secret (2 Uses) to Gear. You can use this Secret to Look Closely as if you rolled a 10+, or to provide a strong argument to Talk Sense with, as long as you whisper it into their ear.

Gear:
- Dwarven hardtack (food, 5 uses) [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
- Secret (2 uses) [ ][ ]
- A set of gleaming, strangely light armor engraved with dwarven runes (1 use, Armor) [ ]
- Weapon: Fine axe, gilded and engraved (Melee, Dwarf-Made)
- Dwarven Thunderer [Rifle]: (Ranged, Reload, Dwarf-Made)
- A bag of gems (2 uses, Precious) [ ][ ]
- Dwarven Defender, Ankhag the Stout (1 Bond) (can be swapped for Berserker)
- Dwarven Gunner, Bhelan of the One Eyebrow (1 Bond) (can be swapped for Blacksmith)
- An ancient dwarven memory core: a chunk of clear, flawless gemstone, with fragments of lore engraved within, such that a different line of script or image catches the light depending on the time of day, the quality of the light, and the angle at which the core is held. Can be consulted for guidance on a topic (1 Use) to allow Command Lore on that topic as though it were part of your culture.

Bonds (4 +2 for companions):

Quorum fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 15, 2015

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Rose Blossom
Halfling

Halflings have always been tellers of tales. Perhaps that's why, as far as the book burnings go, we were among the least affected by Varethax. Much of our lore has been passed down through tales told at campfires for generations, and most of our education through apprenticeships, even before the great burnings began. Sure it was still a loss, but there are plenty of halflings left to share the tales of old heroes or the story of how Old James Bellows put together his forge. Granted there may be some minor embellishments, but in these times you're probably not going to find anything more accurate outside of some wizard's secret cache.

Now, outside of the books, we weren't so lucky. You see, the definition of a scholar can be pretty wide, and halflings do have a love of their oral tradition, so at the beginning Varethax comes down, declares most halflings to be scholars, and starts...exterminating us for a time. Needless to say, we are not pleased, and have not forgotten what happened to the likes of our former largest town, Barren Barrows. It was an ironic name to be sure, as the lands were actually quite fertile. But that's what was so amusing about the name and half of why people lived there! But anyway...it is actually fairly barren now. The entire surrounding area was burned, the fields were salted, stones were rolled over the barrows, and the townsfolk were all ripped apart finger by finger. Quite gruesome sight if you were there, I'm sure.

It wasn't just a killing though. It was a message. And of course we spread the message. There isn't a halfling alive who hasn't heard the tales of Varethax's depravity. But you know, that only made us all the more determined to keep telling our stories. When things happen, you have to remember, and stories, they live again every time someone speaks them out. You can bet that as long as we halflings live, we'll keep the legends alive. And that's why I am here. First, to forge a story of my own along with all of you, and second to make sure that everyone else's stories will live as long as possible.

I am one of the wandering storytellers. I make my living on stories, whether it is others' or my own. This one could be a story for the ages.

I was chosen partly because I am already used to travel and taking care of myself, and partly because I am one of the halflings that makes it my business (as opposed to the usual hobby) to collect knowledge of the type Varethax destroys. After a fashion anyway. The halfling population was decimated at the hands of Varethax before he toned down his campaign of genocide, and none of us will be truly safe to live as we want as long as Varethax is alive.

What remains of the world's knowledge and lore. If not in books, then at least in some other fashion.

quote:

4th Agenda: Get Some Recognition

Twinkling eyes, clean cut, travel clothes, wiry body.

Blood -1
Courage +2
Grace +2
Sense +1
Wisdom 0

Halfling Core
The Little Folk
When you do something clever or sneaky while no one is looking, roll +Courage. On a 7+, you do it, and no one will notice what you did until later. On a 10+, they won't even think to blame you for it unless they know you quite well, or you personally tell them you did it

Sting Like a Bee
When you Keep Them Busy by getting in close and get a 7+, choose one. You can only Sting Like A Bee against those who are larger than you. • They are stunned and distracted. They'll only be out for a moment, but they won't get in anyone's way for that moment. • You steal something small from them in the confusion. • You get up on top of them, riding them around and roughly controlling their movements for as long as you Keep Them Busy

What is a halfling?
Clever Storyteller
Your people love to collect stories from afar, and they love to share. You know just how to get someone to tell you what you want to hear. When you Speak Softly over stories and games, you may take the 7-9 result without rolling. If you also used Halfling Pipeleaf, take the 10+ result instead.

Gear:
Dagger
Halfling Packed Lunch (2 uses, feeds 3 people)
Poultices (2 uses, healing, slow)
Riding spear and riding dog
Address book of family friends (1 use)

Halfling pipeleaf (2 uses)
When you share your pipeleaf with another (1 Use), Speak Softly with them as if you rolled a 7-9.

Halfling Customs
Lived in a Shoe
You can change size at will, shrinking down to the size of an apple or growing as tall as The Dwarf, but you usually stay at a happy medium you're comfortable in

Courage of Halflings
You are never in Despair when rolling Courage, even if it is damaged. This move cannot be Shared.

Companions
Padfoot the Riding Dog. Loyal friend with a good nose.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 16, 2015

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

"Lore Of The World"

They call be Lore of the World, because that is what I will bear upon my flesh. I was given this name by Stargazer of my tribe, who said that it was my destiny to leave and record the histories of the world to bring it back to the scattered Orc Tribes of the world. Such a task would invoke the wrath of the Betrayer himself, and I am ready to shove my sword through his lying face if necessary.

My people were one of the first to be completely destroyed by the Betrayer. He came to us and demanded to see our writings and paintings. We offered to share them with him, but that was not enough. He demanded that we burn them and refused. So he burned us to make an example of those who defy him.

Few of my people remained, and those who survived were forever changed. We embraced the fire and swore revenge. With the memories of our history burned away we took our swords, heated it in our burning homes, and with the red hot steel marked what little they remembered on their skin. And we kept writing, and writing. Wood can be broken. Leather can be burned. Stone can be toppled. But our skins are with us until the day we die.

Why, nothing. If the Betrayer wants my stories, he can read them off my flesh. If he wants them for himself, he will have to skin it off my cold dead corpse!

pre:
Name: Lore
Look: Dark Eyes, Damaged Body, Patchwork Armor, Intricate Brands
Agenda: Born Rebel
Stats:
Blood +2   [ ]
Courage +1 [ ]
Grace -1   [ ]
Sense =0   [ ]
Wisdom +2  [ ]

quote:

Moves:
The Fires of Industry
As long as you have enough time and destroy something in the process, you can always craft an orc-made weapon of your own design. Orc-Made weapons are Clumsy in any hands but an Orc's, and they are ugly to all but Orcs. The weapon is Melee. Weapons you make are not added to your gear - they are temporary and must be replaced if lost or damaged.

Dishonor Before Death
When you strike out against an equal with intent to kill, you may roll to Finish Them without holding an advantage over them. If you do, break your weapon.

I Smell Fear
When you Look Closely at a person, so closely it makes them uncomfortable, intimidated, or upset, you may ask questions from both the Speak Softly and Look Closely lists, and you can ask one more question than your roll would normally allow.

Charred Stomach (Iron Stomach)
You can eat even raw ash. When you Fill your Belly, you may spend Uses from anything as if they had the Food tag.

Shaman
When you draw upon the hidden power of the orcs, choose a spell from below, then mark it. You cannot use a spell while it is marked. When you Fill Your Belly, you may use 1 extra Food to remove a mark from one spell. When you Recover, remove all marks on your spells.
  • Seance: Ask a single question about anything, and immidiately receive two answers - one is true, one is false, and you know not which is which.
  • Smell Danger: Use this when you become ambushed or surprised to react just before that happens.
  • Bound by Fire: Leave a brand upon someone else's skin. You can remove that mark at any time to appear at their side instantly, leaping out of the mark. (Bound by Blood)

What Is An Orc?
Children of Fire
Your people are forged in flame, and have more in common with coal and ash than flesh and blood. You never take damage from fire and heat, and you burn anything you touch for longer than a moment.

Gear:
Orc-Made Weapons - Count: 2
Ash Biscuit (Food, 3 Uses) [_][_][_]
Something you found over there somewhere (2 Uses, Useful) [_][_]
A Wolf to hunt with - Pack Hunter [_] Loyal [_]
Some Loot (1 Use, Precious) [_]
Cunning as can be (2 Uses) - Instantly Look Closely without rolling, asking two question from the list.

Bonds (4): +1 for the wolf

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 17, 2015

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

Lemme see if I can get an Heir together tonight. I'm looking forward to this game!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I'm also apping a Heir, probably.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kylra posted:

I'm curious about Small Target, Bottomless Belly or Courage of Halfings. I dunno about the rest fitting well for this character.

The link above is updated with full playbooks. The moves in question are:

Small Target
When you Overcome a threat by getting out of the way, on a 7+ you manage to get completely out of sight - your attacker loses track of you, although you must still pay a price on a 7-9 result. On a 12+, everyone loses track of you - tell us where you went, and you're there.

Bottomless Belly
Whenever you Fill Your Belly, you may Use as much food as you like, and you heal an equal amount of damage. Anyone trying to compete with you can also Use extra food to heal an extra point of damage.

The Courage of Halflings
You are never in Despair when rolling Courage, even if it is damaged. This Move cannot be Shared.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Looks like the Heir is really popular, but I'm not gonna let that stop me. Still trying to come up with a name for my people, though.

I am Appolonius of Legends, soon to be ruler of my people, and I am here to make certain that the Betrayer and his ilk are wiped from existence. ...And also I feel the need to right past wrongs, for it was my own people that gave the Betrayer his start, and his name. We are warriors first and foremost, why would we care if a few books were burned?

In order to prevent needless bloodshed, my people long ago created a complex system of gladiatorial games to decided who has the right to rule or claim power for themselves. All important positions, even in matters of trade, are owned by champions. However, many of the ancient rules to the fabled Games of Old are now lost, possibly forever. Every year, my people descend further into chaos, but I hope to change that. I have won the honor of carrying the Blade of Champions, and as such I am my people's champion and last hope. I cannot fail, for if I do, no one will remember me or my people.

The Blade of Champions is not just a sword, nor is it just a symbol of my people's trust in me. Every single ruler, champion, and hero among my people have their stories recorded on this blade, and one need only to hold it to learn of their exploits. It is how we have not lost everything, for when is a book not a book? When it is a sword, of course. I will never allow anyone or anything, especially not the Betrayer, to ever ruin the Blade of Champions.

pre:
Name: Appolonius of Legends
Look: Scruffy Hair, Scarred Face, Determined Eyes, Practical Uniform (well, practical for his people, anyway)

Stats:
Blood +0
Courage +2
Grace -1
Sense +1
Wisdom +2

Agenda: But What Of My Kingdom?

What is The Heir?
The Stalwart Defenders: Your kingdom is all that has stood between the Overlord and the rest of the
world for centuries, locking them away. Stopping them now falls squarely on your shoulders. When
you take action against the Overlord, you pay half as much as anyone else would, rounded down.
For example, if there are three Threats to the World stopping you, you only pay a price once to take
action, not three times, as anyone else would.

Gear:
Blade of Champions (Melee, Precious)
Drink (2 uses, Healing, Drunk: Grace)
Food (4 uses, Food)
Fine Food (4 uses, Food)
Poultices (2 uses, Healing, Slow)
Symbol of Royalty (1 use)
Throwing Knives (Ranged, 2 Ammo)

Cassius, Advisor (Consultancy)
Diomedes, Sibling (Noble Bearing, Just As Good As You Are)
Agrippa, Warhorse (Mounted Combat, Run Like The Wind)

Core Moves:

Royal Treatment: When you visit the ruler of a place and introduce yourself, you and your friends
are all given a room for the night and a hot meal to Fill Your Belly, free of charge.

Yes, My Liege (Wisdom): When you give an order to non-hostile NPCs, roll +Wisdom. On a
10+, they obey you to the best of their ability before they can even think about
it. On a 7-9, the Overlord chooses one:

* They do it, but not very well, or exactly how you wanted.
* They offer you something they think you wanted instead.
* They stop what they are doing and turn their attention to you instead.

Custom Moves:

Foraging (Wisdom): When you forage for herbs or food, roll +Wisdom. On a 10+, you gain
some healing herbs (2 uses, Healing, Slow), or some berries and meat (3 uses,
food), your choice. On a 7-9, choose one:
* Supplies are scarce - gain only 1 use of herbs or food.
* The supplies are a little poisonous - they gain the Drunk tag, in two stats
of the Overlord's choice.

Parry! Counter! Thrust!: When you fight an enemy one on one in melee, you may Keep Them
Busy as if you rolled a 10+.

Strike True: When you could Finish Them in combat, instead of rolling, you may
strike a decisive blow. Choose one, and tell us how you do it:
* Beaten Down: They cannot cause further harm.
* Pinned Down: They cannot give chase.
* Taken Down: Choose one of their already-damaged stats. Remove it -
they no longer have that stat, nor any moves associated with it.

Astus fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 16, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Marking with interest. Might make a harbinger

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Looks cool. I'll make an elf of some kind.

Will Merfolk have a lot of trouble just existing in this setting?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

The link above is updated with full playbooks. The moves in question are:
The Courage of Halflings
You are never in Despair when rolling Courage, even if it is damaged. This Move cannot be Shared.
Think I'll go with this one.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Looks cool. I'll make an elf of some kind.

Will Merfolk have a lot of trouble just existing in this setting?

Don't see why. I mean, if you use stone tablets, the Betrayer is happy to break those. You might want to have a Throne to travel around on if you don't have legs, though.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Don't see why. I mean, if you use stone tablets, the Betrayer is happy to break those. You might want to have a Throne to travel around on if you don't have legs, though.

Basically the first thing that came to mind was Abe Sapien.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Entirely viable. The fun thing is that if you take a playbook and get picked, what your race is like is pretty much entirely determined by you! You are in control of their background, culture and nature. (Shared, in the case of the Squire.)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Welp, Mushorc coming up after dinner.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Marking Interest Backed the kickstarter and would love to play

Ioa, Reclaimer #5995

Theme Song/Lyrics

I am Ioa, the five thousand nine hundred ninety fifth memeber of the Reclaimer caste. As the name implies it is the duty of of all Reclaimers to seek knowledge and spread it throughout the world. As the Book-Burner either hoards or destroys information he is the natural enemy of any person seeking enlightenment through study. I volunteered as a representative of the Elves out of a wish to see the world and record my experiences without the stifling restrictions of the Chroniclers.

The Elves would have been happy to hid in the mushroom rings that we call home. However at the Grand Moot I publicly argued that our hiding only serves to hasten the destruction of knowledge instead of being a measure to preserve it. To cement my point I reminded the Moot that the Betrayer's foot soldiers are modifications on the golems that we once made ourselves to assist all the people of the world agriculturally. So I argued if this one peaceful implement of our people could be turned into a weapon of mass destruction, what could an Elven theory craft do when applied through the Betrayer's mind? It was our responsibility to ensure that the crafts we create work towards the benefits of all that live our beautiful world.

My wolf, Teol. He is my soul and my ever present companion. When young Elves come of age they must prove their ability to commune with the world. The are sent into the wilderness and cannot not return until they have bonded with an animal. Whatever animal one returns with determine your caste. These companions bear half an Elf's soul if the Betrayer ever got his hands on Teol, I shudder at the evil and torture he would suffer just as an attempt to harm me.
pre:
Name: Ioa, Reclaimer #5995
Look: Piecing Eyes, Long Hair, Fancy Cloak, Tiny Body
Agenda: Be Brave Take Risks, Tell Us of You People, Improve the World Around You, Elven Superoity

Stats:
Blood:   +2 [ ]
Courage: +1 [ ]
Grace:   +2 [ ]
Sense:   +0 [ ]
Wisdom:  -1 [ ] 

quote:

Elf Core

Elder Arts
When you call upon the elven power that humans sometimes call magic, choose a spell form below, then mark it. You cannot use a spell while it is marked. When you Fill Your Belly, remove a mark form one spell. When you Recover, remove all marks on your spells.
  • [ ]Camouflage:Becomes invisible and undetectable This lasts until
    you attack or decides to make yourself known.
  • [ ]Keen Sense: Ask a single question about your surroundings, and immediately receive a truthful answer.
  • [ ]Sense Magic: Immediately know what here is magical and where is. If nothing here is magical here, you do not mark this spell
  • [ ]Whisper on the Wind: Send a message to anyone you have a Bond with. They will hear it whispered in their ears moments after you send it, and can reply of up to 5 words.
This move cannot be Shared.

Touch the World Lightly
You can safely walk on top of snow, across thin tree branches,
along precarious ledges, or on top of held weaponry. You can also
runs along walls, ups trees, or across treacherous surfaces safely,
although only for shorts distances Yous do not needs to roll to
Overcome when performing these feats, although you may still needs
to roll to Get Away.

What is an Elf
Merfolk
Your people are When you immediately dive for cover at the first sign of trouble, you use the Camouflage Elder Art without marking it.

Elf Custom
Elfsight
Your eyes are unnaturally good, and you can see fine detail even through the night or densest fog. When you you Look Closely, you may study any location you can see, no matter how distant, as if you were standing right there.

Special Stardust
Add the following Elder Art list:
[ ] Sleep Tight: You put someone straight to sleep. It is a normal sleep, and they are woken up by anything that would awaken a sleeping person.

Gear
Elven Bread (food,4 uses)
Hunter's Bow (Ranged, Elf-Made, 3 Ammo)

A fine sword (Melee, Elf-Made)

A Wolf Companion (2 Bonds)

A ring signifying your membership in a secret organization (1 Use) You can use this item to identify another member of this organization instantly gaining a Bond with them.

JesterOfAmerica fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 23, 2015

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Liara of the Storm, Heir to the Deep Realms

I could tell you six thousand tales, once upon a time. Once, my kingdom was far away, separated from your Earth by dirt, and stone, and the World-Wall that binds places that are not meant to be apart from each other. Once, my people lived in freedom, under the Earth, in our native rock and flame, and it is true that many do. In those days, we were free from the Flame-Quencher. Our land was free of the seas and ocean he brings, and water only lay where it must for us to live. We were allowed to exist in peace, as we try to futily even now. But now is not that time. I am Liara of the Storm, the first daughter of Baal the Swift. She is the ruler of my land, but she is old. Weak. She isn't capable of facing the threat of the Quencher, not while keeping our land stable. No. She may rule domestic matters- it is her time for that. I must honor her in a different fashion. I am called the Storm because of the oath I took when the Quencher extinguished the first great lake of Lifeblood. I stepped into the great storm of dust and lightning- not a storm as you would call it above, but a great cloud of dirt, filled with the thunder of the gods. For four days and four nights I hardened my resolve, buffeted by wind and ash and lightning.

"I would rather die in this storm than see the Quencher continue. If I survive, as I will, I will ride out and find a way, find something- I cannot let him drown out our knowledge. I cannot let him drown out our world."

As you may have assumed, I survived.

The world wall's fall brought many wonders to us- it let us mingle with the races of Above, and share in their learning, It gave us friends, and allies, but it also gave us enemies, those who would bring misfortune down upon us. Varethax the Quencher. I do not know why he has set upon this quest, but I do know that I can't allow him to continue. He has destroyed countless tomes of knowledge, quenched the frozen flame that keeps them together. And thus in days, we lost the accumulated knowledge of years. Not all, of course. But far, far more than I'm comfortable with , for certain. And so, I rode out. I shall leave the governance of the Below to my mother, for now.

Now is a time of action. The betrayer has destroyed our texts, our tales, and quenched the lakes of Lifeblood- that that mortals call Magma- that fuels the planet, fuels the land we stand on. Where there is no lifeblood, many of the plants and creatures my people depend on for survival cannot thrive, or... well, as you would say, they would be dead. I may not know many of your customs, but I intend to learn. We shall suffer together and fight together. The Demons offer their support to your lands, and I with them.

I have sworn my oath, and I will not rescind it.

(Sheet and questions coming later.)

quote:

Name: Liara Of The Storm
Look: Luscious Hair, Serene Face, Royal Garb
Agendas: Be Brave/Take Risks, Tell Us Of Your People, Improve The World Around You, Judge, Jury, and Executioner.

Stats:
Wisdom +2
Grace-1
Sense +2
Blood +1
Courage 0

Core Moves:

Royal Treatment: When you visit the ruler of a place and introduce yourself, you and your friends
are all given a room for the night and a hot meal to Fill Your Belly, free of charge.

* They do it, but not very well, or exactly how you wanted.
* They offer you something they think you wanted instead.
* They stop what they are doing and turn their attention to you instead.

The Fires Of Industry(Orc, via Foreign Exchange): As long as you have enough time and destroy something in the process, you can always craft an Orc Made weapon of your design. Orc made weapons are clumsy in anyone's hands but an Orc (Or, presumably, a non-orc with this move), and they are ugly to all but Orcs. The weapons you make are melee, and do not count as part of your gear- if they're destroyed, they're gone.

Custom Moves:
Noble Bearing: Your commanding presence is second to none. When one of your companions stats would be damaged, you may damage one of your stats instead. Once per scene, when you are in dire need, you may erase one of your bonds to have the person listed in that bond appear at your side.

Foreign Exchange It's the 'grab another race's core move' move.

Parry! Counter! Thurst! When you take an enemy on one on one in melee, you make Keep Them Busy as if you rolled 10+.

What /is/ the Heir?: Liara is from a Forgotten Land, below the ground and through the barrier between worlds, a world lit by flame and magma, and dark where those do not lie. Very, very dark. Due to this, Her people have many strange features, but the most useful is their eyes. Rather than proper eyes, they are wells of solid light- they glow softly, and brightly in the dark, lighting their way through underground and otherwise darkened areas. They can be dimmed for use in bright light, of course. In dire times, they can even be brought bright enough to briefly blind people with a flash- though they'll be rather dark for a while after.

Gear:
Food (4 uses)
Poultices (2 uses, healing, slow)
My old Warhorse Great Burrower, named Trombe. you would recognize it as a large, wormlike creature, with a gaping maw. It can travel both atop and under land at great speed, though it's... Difficult to ride when underground. You have to sit inside it's mouth, and this requires special equipment and special training. Still, Trombe is a fine steed, and I appreciate it's help in all my matters. (Stats: []Tactical Burrowing, []Wiggle Like The Wind)

My Regal Armor, an elegant dress- made of the stone of the Underworld, molded into an outfit, both flexible and strong, by some of the magics of another people I have encountered- the great Orcs, who first received my people when we arrived on the surface. They taught my people of their strange tricks, and together we learned to create many things- and they created many things for us. This outfit shows many things- both my status as a warrior and as a Que- A princess, I suppose. (1 use, Armor) Ah well.

As well, I have three weapons. Well, really two, and... something else. The first I bring from my home, the Entombed Citadel, the seat of rulership of my lands. There, for many generations, there has been a ceremonial weapon. A hammer, of silver and gold. As is custom, when I was supposed to take the throne, before I stood down and left my mother there, I took the weapon. Each Queen or King makes their own change to it- attaching a trinket, engraving a new design upon it. My change was simple. I replaced the ornate handle with a simple stone one- one that /won't/ break upon the first swing. The name I gave it, as each ruler before me has, is Protector. That is it's purpose- whatever I use it for, will be to protect what knowledge we have left. (Melee, Precious)

My second weapon is named Crusher. Yes. I recognize it's entirely silly, but it's true. IT's a simple mace. It was made as a weapon. Not as an ornament, as Protector was. No. I shall use this to defend myself, and to attack those that have transgressed upon my lands. (Melee)

The last, is me. When I walked into the storm, the lightning wracked my body, but it did not destroy it. No, it /infused/ it. The lightning resides within me, within my body, and I may extend it out as I may any other part of my body, though I must refuel it at times. (Ranged, 2 ammo)

I brought loads of gems and metals from my land- common there, they're valuable here, and I shall need something to trade for the resources my people dearly need. (2 uses, Precious.)

And of course, I still have access to the greatest community of my people- the Entombed Citadel, deep within a cave of the Underworld. It once was the Free Citadel, standing proud and tall- until a war crashed much of the stone roof above it onto the citadel. However, the citadel held strong, and much of the debris remains above, providing the citadel with a protective barrier.

Nea fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 5, 2015

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Oy! Pleasure to meet ya! Don't mind Max here, he's a real sweetheart. Anyway, it's gettin' late, but think you got time to share a pipe with a fellow traveler?

Fantastic!

What am I doing out here, wanderin' the wastes? Well, I could ask you that yourself! But, honestly, I thought everyone knew that we halflin's have taken to the roads ever since he torched our homes, all while he looking for some magic doodad or another. He never found what he was lookin' for, but I reckon that's some cold comfort for us. Especially since he seems to have set up shop there for good.

It's something we talk about, you know. Getting all the scattered clans back together and taking our home back, I mean. Personally, I don't think we'll ever do it until we get rid of him for good, but no point in spreadin' that idea 'round, ya see? People gotta have some hope that things are gonna go back to they way they were, or else it won't ever happen!

It's why I'm on the road like this. Heard some mighty interestin' stories 'bout some people with the same idea. 'Course, it may be nothing more than poppycock. Or it may be a bunch of greybeards blue skyin', and I'll just have to keep on looking for something with a good idea on what to do..

Or, well, we may all end up face down and dead in a ditch! Ha!

But, can't ever let it get ya down, don't ya know! I've seen too many down faces on my travels, and like I said, that's how he really wins! No, we just have to keep the old stories alive, even if we can't quite remember exactly how they went. And maybe we should make some new stories worth telling while we're at it!

quote:

Name: Robard Goldworthy
Look: Large eyes, on a clean cut face, all dressed up in my Sunday best, which is perfectly cut for my wiry body.

Stats
Blood: 0
Courage: +2
Grace: +2
Sense: +1
Wisdom: -1

Halfling Core
The Little Folk (Courage)
When you do something clever or sneaky while no one is looking, roll +Courage. On a 7+, you do it, and no one will notice what you did until later. On a 10+, they won't even think to blame you for it unless they know you quite well, or you personally tell them you did it.

Sting Like A Bee
When you Keep Them Busy by getting in close and get a 7+, choose one. You can only Sting Like A Bee against those who are larger than you.
  • They are stunned and distracted. They'll only be out for a moment, but they won't get in anyone's way for that moment.
  • You steal something small from them in the confusion.
  • You get up on top of them, riding them around and roughly controlling their movements for as long as you Keep Them Busy.

What is a Halfling?
Determined Survivors
Your people have suffered many setbacks and tragedies, and they have never stopped you yet. You know exactly when to stand your ground and exactly when to bail. When you Get Away or Keep Them Busy and get a 6-, you can instead use the other move as if you rolled a 7-9.

Halfling Customs
A Friendly Face
You are small and easily trusted. So long as you show a friendly face, anyone not already actively hostile towards you will treat you as a friend, until proven otherwise.

Talk Nonsense (Courage)
When you use an unreasonable argument to get someone to do something for you, roll +Courage. An unreasonable argument is one they cannot deal with, either because it is something they never expected to hear, too impossible to be believed, or it strikes at something they hold dear.
  • On a 7+, you must make them a promise - they'll tell you what - and then they'll do as you ask.
  • On a 7-9, the promise alone is not enough: you must also pay a price for them, right here, right now

Halfling Gear
  • Trusty human pocket knife (Melee)
  • A halfling packed lunch (2 uses, feeds three people)
  • Burglar's gear (2 uses, useful)
  • A riding spear (Melee)
  • Halfling pipeleaf (2 Uses, Slow, Drunk: Blood)
    When you share your pipeleaf with another (1 Use), Speak Softly with them as if you rolled a 7-9.
  • An Address book, filled with family friends (1 Use).
    You can Use this item to find a friend in any town you go to - you have a Bond with them

Halfling Agenda
Have fun!
Everyone else is so gloomy all the time! Make sure they lighten up a bit

Bonds
_____________ really enjoys the finer things in life.
I was caught trying to steal from ____________
_____________ overlooks my stature and treats me as an equal
_____________ dragged me from home and on the road to adventure
I've had Max, my Riding Dog, since he was born.
  • Loyal Friend
  • Good Nose

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 17, 2015

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Dirge Songheart, the Orc

I am Dirge Songheart, and I am the last untainted Orc. You do not know us, but we have Sung beneath even you, Dwarf, for millenia. We would Sing there still, if not for your Betrayer.

We will join your fellowship, for we have lost something even more precious to us than your books are to you: our Voices. I do not know how the Betrayer learned of us, but when he did, he arrived like an earthquake: without warning and without mercy. We had no use for writing, down in the deepest dark, so we Sang our stories, our warnings, our ancient magic and oldest histories. He took that from us. He slaughtered thousands, and cursed those that survived to toil in silence for eternity. Many of us have lost the will to fight, without our Songs of War and Courage. Not I.

He will never take the Song in my heart. I do not know why I alone was spared from the curse that ruined my people, but I will make the Betrayer pay for what he has done.

I am still not sure how pbta games work in play-by-post, but I am too excited about Fellowship to justify not submitting an app.
e: now with original art

Astro Ambulance fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 17, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Name: Raliin Coalface
Look: Very Small Eyes, Mucled Body, Darkened Face.
Extra Agenda: Born Rebel
What is an Orc?: Daughters of Chaos
Gear:
Strange jerky (3 uses, Food)
2 Orc-Made Weapons (a spear and an axe)
Junk Cannon (Ranged, Orc-Made, 0 ammo)
Some Loot (1 Use, Precious)
Orcish Moonshine (2 uses, Food for Orcs, Drunk: Grace+Wisdom, Vigor:Blood+Sense. If you stuff a rag in it it becomes Ranged and Dangerous instead.

Strong as an ox: 2 uses to smash through walls or doors.
Tough as nails: 2 uses as Armor
Cunning as can be: 2 uses to instantly Looking Closely without rolling, answering two questions.

Orc Customs:

The Sweat of Your Brow
Self-Orctualize
Brutally Cunning

Blood:+2
Courage:+2
Grace:-1
Sense:+1
Wisdom:+0

My name is Raliin Coalface, and I join this Fellowship with the intent to collect on the debt the Betrayer has with the Orcish people. Because no shaman, no engineer would bend the knee to his destructive rules, and no orc strong enough to hold a lance would allow him to drag their friends and family away in chains, we have been decimated. For every adult that died defending his elders, for every child that died because there were no herb-books to tell us how to cure them, one of his dies.
The elders of the Coalface tribe tell us of a great mural, a gigantic painting describing the history of the orcs since their creation at the hands of the Grim Father and the Green Mother since the Pact of the Tribes. They tell us of its many colors, some impossible to recreate with pigments to this day, of its characters so realistic, one would expect them to step out of the mural and talk; they tell us of how the cave where it was located was constantly swarming with visitors and pilgrims from all over the world to see it.
They tell us of how the Ashmaker’s warriors came; of a ferocious but ultimately useless defense, of how now there is only a charred wall up to the ceiling of the cave.
Since then, my people have been chained, chained by ignorance and poverty; my tribe has lost the right to use their real name and must mark our faces with charcoal to show our sorrow and our failings. But there is a saying amongst orcs: “balg-or-erab”. In your language, it means, “chains are death”. Orcs are meant to be free; a chained orc is an orc that is dying.
I am the chief of the most disgraced of tribes, and I say that chains- both ours and those of our neighbors- are made to be broken.
When I was declared champion of the Orcish tribes, the Coalface elders gifted me a flat piece of rock, of a clear blue color with a bit of white on the side. A surviving bit of the Great Mural. They revealed to me that two other ones have been saved by the Betrayer’s handiwork, and have been put somewhere safe. I will not allow that monster to destroy this last remnant of my people’s glory.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 17, 2015

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I'm totally bringing a halfling to this table.

paradoxGentleman posted:

E: I couldn't help but notice that people keep picking two customs, when the books tell us to pick three. Why's that?

The number of customs each playbook gets differs. Orc gets three, Halfling gets two, etc.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Interested, certainly. Will app a Dwarf tomorrow.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Miha of Pebbles, along with her most trusted friend Ilya of Flowers

Hi! I'm Miha, and that's Ilya. We're definitely not lost, uh, we just wanted to make sure we didn't get turned around, yeah. We're both Nomads, which you probably already knew because you keep having to look down at me. Huh? Ilya's still pretty small, I mean, sure she's almost as big as you, but... Weh! That's not important, anyways!

Oh! Well, yeah, the Nomads don't really go around much anymore. We don't really know where most of them are, it's hard to tell. You just kind of run into someone every once in a while. We used to pass letters around all the time apparently, and even if we were spread pretty thin we all knew everything that was happening all the time. But that was before I was born. I didn't really get to learn how to write, and even when we run into each other us Nomads don't really know what's happening anymore. Kind of a bummer, huh?

Why go to Leighshill? Why not? Has something bad happened there? Me and Ilya have to get there as soon as we can since Ilya has a lett- uh, le... luh... lettuce field of family there! Why are you giving me that look, Ilya? It's, uh, a weird Nomad saying, you know. Definitely. Hm? What? Betrayer? I dunno anything about that, right Ilya? Ilya you're supposed to nod, just... c'mon help me out here. Ahem! Uh, well, if Leighshill is really as bad as you're saying it is, we can always just figure something else out, but coming all this way just to turn around now is a definite no-go. Yup, absolutely sure. We are definitely going there.

Our horses? No, they didn't run away. We don't have any. Uh, no, no goats. I don't even know what a parchemast is. Our carriage can go without any animals, and those would all be too heavy to keep inside of it for sure. How does it go? Uh, well, Ilya knows. She made it, and she makes sure it keeps running. All we need is enough fuel to keep it going, like what you use in lanterns. If I was lying then how would we have gotten it here? The Flowers developed and wrote all abo-www, Ilya! Um. She, uh, she says I should really stop telling made up stories like that.

Oh, she can't really talk, but she can make motions with her hands to tell me things. What's she saying now that she looks super mad about? Uh, well. Ilya I super doubt it's that big of a deal, this is just some nothing mountain village, just lemme work my magic. What fire? Oh. Uh, what's going on over, uh, there? A, uh, a scholar got found out, huh? Oh... So you said right then left, through the pines? O-kay bye it was nice meeting you all byeee~ yeah no okay let's go Ilya.

And so Miha and Ilya ride further into the Betrayer's domain, a clueless thief and a silenced scholar from a dying people. Doubtless the other Nomads would help, but without their letters they remain the scattered remains of a technological revolution. Ilya holds one last letter bound for the Fellowship, and all that matters to Miha is that she doesn't have her best friend taken from her for good by the Betrayer and his Hands. That she can use this as an excuse to explore the world with Ilya is a nice bonus.

quote:

The Halfling (Miha The Burglar and Ilya The Scholar)

Look: Twinkling Eyes, Short and Ribboned, Travel Clothes, Wiry Body

Agenda: The Usual, and Have Fun

Stats: Blood -1, Courage +2, Grace +2, Sense +1, Wisdom +0

Origin: Travelling Nomads
Your people are travelers, never sticking in one place for long. When picking your Gear, choose one more option from each list - you came prepared for anything.

Moves:

The Little Folk (Courage)
When you do something clever or sneaky while no one is looking, roll +Courage. On a 7+, you do it, and no one will notice what you did until later. On a 10+, they won't even think to blame you for it unless they know you quite well, or you personally tell them you did it.

Sting Like a Bee
When you Keep Them Busy by getting in close and get a 7+, choose one. You can only Sting Like A Bee against those who are larger than you.
  • They are stunned and distracted. They'll only be out for a moment, but they won't get in anyone's way for that moment.
  • You steal something small from them in the confusion.
  • You get up on top of them, riding them around and roughly controlling their movements for as long as you Keep Them Busy.

Dumb Luck (A Friendly Face)
You are small and easily trusted. So long as you show a friendly face, anyone not already actively hostile towards you will treat you as a friend, until proven otherwise.

Headfirst (The Courage of Halflings)
You are never in Despair when rolling Courage, even if it is damaged.

Gear:

A spare heavy wrench from Ilya's stuff (Melee)
A slingshot I made, and then Ilya made actually work (Ranged) with some rocknuts I keep around (2 ammo)
My pile of odd tools I totally didn't steal from Elves and Dwarves (2 uses, Useful)
Ilya's horseless carriage, and Ilya, of course! (1 bond)
Some Spider's Venom wine we accidentally traded for (4 uses, Healing, Drunk: Blood + Courage)
Boar's Tusk Soup, my very own specialty, just add water! (4 uses, Food, each Use feeds three people)
Lots of different kinds of people's money, mostly acquired legitimately! (Precious, 1 Use)
All my friends from all around! Most of them aren't mad at me, I think (1 use, You can Use this item to find a friend in any town you go to - you have a Bond with them)

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Prince Torrigan, of the Builders

Arches have many forms, but all fall into three basic categories: Circular, pointed, and parabolic. Arches can also be configured to produce vaults and arcades- The Litany of Arches, Verse 6, Line 1

I am Prince Torrigan, Heir to the throne of the Builders. What family name we may have possessed has been lost to the Burner's pyres, like so many other records. I join the Fellowship, and stake the honor of my ancestry, because it is right. As my coming of age project, I choose to try and build a better world, one where knowledge and information are freely available, instead of burned or hidden in the minds of Litany Speakers. In this world, I will build a library, where the Litany can finally be safely stored on the written page. People will come from all over and be educated, and enlightened, and we will live and work in harmony. For my dream of a better world, the Burner must be stopped.

I am the last living royal recipient of the Litanies. I was always taught that a ruler does not govern from a distance, but must instead work with those who give him their loyalty. "You're never too good to turn a wrench." was a saying often tossed my way when I wanted to shirk my chores as a child.
My people have been vastly reduced from the days of old. I know this to be a fact. The Litany of History speaks of massive gleaming towers, packed with knowledge from all over the world, freely available to all. It speaks of mechanical wonders that could burrow through the earth, communicate over vast distances, and even fly amongst the clouds. The Betrayer destroyed every blueprint he could get his hands on. The legacy of my entire kingdom, the Litanies, rests in my head, and I will do what it takes to record even a fraction of that for the ages.

If nothing else, the secret of the Litanies must not be revealed to the Betrayer's spies. If he were ever to decipher the coded tales and fables that the Litanies are composed of, my people's history and legacy would vanish in His "holy flames". If I am ever captured, I am ready to do whatever it takes to hide the Litanies away...
pre:
Name: Torrigan
Look: Scruffy Hair, Handsome Face, Determined Eyes, Practical Uniform
Agenda: Be Brave Take Risks, Tell Us of Your People, Improve the World Around You, A Better World, The Dwarven Craft

Stats:
Blood:   -1 [ ]
Courage: +0 [ ]
Grace:   +2 [ ]
Sense:   +1 [ ]
Wisdom:  +2 [ ] 

Lineage: The Great Builders

Royal Gear: Food [4 uses], Healing Poultices [2 uses], Clarent: the ceremonial Wrench of Kings [Melee, Precious], 
                  Fine food [4 uses], Drink [2 uses], Ancient titanium Spiral Gear Sigil [Symbol of Royalty]

Heir Customs: Foreign Exchange: Dwarves, Dig Deep, Strike True, How Dare You

Heir's Companions: Kibeth: the War Horse, Yrael: the Advisor, Astarael: the Bodyguard

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 19, 2015

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

Of course, the whole point of
a Doomsday Machine is lost if
you KEEP IT A SECRET!
I can dig it. Might roll an elf. Or an heir.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Three people are already apping heirs :v:

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Neopie posted:

Three people are already apping heirs :v:

Lotta kingdoms out there

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
A Fellowship of literally nothing but lost heirs to various kingdoms. I would play the poo poo out of that.

One of them is the last of his line, another one "rules" a kingdom that doesn't exist anymore, yet another got overthrown in a socialist revolution and will get guillotined if he ever goes back...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

The Harbinger Karr

In the beginning, we Harbingers ruled vast territories with our knowledge, moved mountains at our command. We were once mighty.
We were betrayed. Varethax of the burning offered us a glimpse at greater power. He was the strongest of us. I was only an Apprentice when the burning began, and we discovered our betrayal. All Magic comes from The Word, reflected in turn by all other words. In making Varethax invincible, we've diminished ourselves nearly to the point of extinction. The scales must be balanced.

The Word. The Word suffuses and binds us all. The Word is what you call Magic. Pure creation from pure nothingness. My people have no ties except to the Word, we all began as someone or something else, I count among my brothers and sisters a number of Dwarves, Elves, Men, and others even stranger. I was once what you'd call an elf, we've all forsworn our pasts, and we all now bear the mark and burden of The Word. The actions of past harbingers are to blame for the state of the world. We will atone.

I am one of the few Harbingers left in this world with strength enough to help in this undertaking.

Every book, every page lost to Varethax's flames is another nail in the coffin of my people. Call it enlightened self interest if you'd like, but I fight alongside you all to save the knowledge of all peoples from the indignity of the torch.

Mors Rattus posted:

Karr, the Harbinger (Error 404): Once, your people worked alongside the Betrayer, helped him to shackle and destroy the Word. What turned you against him, and why do some still waver?

Yes we stood with him at first. We thought ourselves untouchable, our reward for this hubris was the destruction of our sacred knowledge of The Word, the language of sigils we use to express our power in the world. As our power waned, so have our numbers. There are probably less than 50 Harbingers left in the world right now, including myself and the Betrayer alongside his closest allies. Some still think he can be redeemed, others question if his path isn't still the wisest, many others prefer quiet solitude for their grief, and hide from the world.

I'm going for kind of a war-in-heaven vibe where the harbingers, while not being divine messengers, were still very powerful and nearly immortal beings until one rebelled (like Lucifer) and lead them in a crusade against the natural order. Only in this case Lucifer/the Overlord won when he destroyed 90ish percent of Harbinger magic. Yeah Harbingers are still terrifying and strong, but it's relatively nothing compared to being almost literal gods.

quote:

Name: The Harbinger Karr, or just Harbinger
Look: Messy hair, sturdy clothes, cold eyes, intricate tattoos
Agenda:Be Brave, Take Risks; Tell Us Of Your People; Improve The World Around You; Savior Complex

Blood: +2 [ ]
Courage: +0 [ ]
Grace: +0 [ ]
Sense: +1 [ ]
Wisdom: -1 [ ]
DOOM: +2 [ ]

quote:

Harbinger Core:

Doomed Soul
When your Doom stat gets damaged, you must immediately damage another one of your stats as well.
When you Overcome using magic, fate, prophecy, or folklore, roll +Doom
When you share this move with another, their Doom stat is +1

Doom and Gloom
Your Doom makes you hard for others to relate to. You can never have more than one Bond with someone, and others can never have more than one Bond with you.
This move cannot be shared.

Do Not Trifle with Wizards
Your magic is dangerous and powerful, for both you and your enemies.
When you conjure a powerful spell to destroy something in your way, pay a price, then take up to three points of damage. You inflict that much damage to your target. You then become exhausted, and roll with Despair for the rest of the scene. Threats to the World and Set Pieces take no damage from this move.
This move cannot be shared

Wizardry
When you draw upon the magic inherent to your people, choose one option from below. You may use these spells as often as you need to.
When you use one of these magical effects, tell us how it manifests-what does it look like, what does it sound like? What do you need to do to make this happen?
  • Conjure a soft light which floats around you,
  • Deliver a message through mysterious means.
  • Speak, look, hear, touch, push, or grab as if you were somewhere else that you can see.
This move cannot be shared

What Is A Harbinger?

(Former) Servants of the Dark
Harbingers are so-called because they (used to) herald the coming of the Overlord, and they serve(d) the Overlord in all ways. You are a renegade to your people, outcast, but you still command the same terrifying powers they do.
You do not need to pay a price to show others why they Do Not Trifle With Wizards.

Harbinger Custom

The Evil Eye Above
Doom follows you, but you are ready for it.
When the minions of the Overlord approach, the Overlord's player must tell you before they arrive.
When you know the Overlord's plans, you may ask them, "What is one way I could stop this?" They must answer truthfully.

Bonds
  • Hanna has much to learn about the ways of the world.
  • Amir will be of great importance in the events to come.
Others' bonds with me:
    Talthe:
    Karr's
    name is well known among my kin, because he was also once of the Sea before being seduced by the Betrayer.
  • Miha:
    I'm definitely not gonna stop trying to get Karr to cheer up. They're always such a bummer! If I'm stuck on this trip, nobody gets to be a bummer!
  • Hanna:
    I am of Karr's people,so they look out for me.
  • Liara:
    No Bond Yet
  • Amir:
    I owe Harbinger Karr a life debt.
  • Raliin:
    No Bond Yet

Gear:
just enough Food ([X][X] uses, food)
mystical gear ([-][-] uses, useful)
The Overlord's weakness: A fragment of time itself, trapped in amber and caught in a box etched with sigils and sealed in blood.
Source of Magic: Harbinger Tattoos, ancient sigils channeling even older powers. ([-][-] uses, Useful)

Advancement
[ ] Increase Courage or Wisdom by 1
[ ] Increase one stat by 1 (max of +3)
[ ] Gain another Harbinger Custom
[ ] Gain another Harbinger Custom
[ ] Gain another Harbinger Custom, or one more Harbinger gear option
[ ] Gain another Harbinger Custom, or ask another player to share a move with you
[ ] You have Changed. you must have at least four other Advances already marked to take this Advancement. When you Change, choose a Destiny you meet the requirements for and gain its first move.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 11, 2015

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

Ivan and his sister, Vasilisa, gaze upon the walls of the city of Kitezh, from the edge of the island, the farthest he has ever been from home until now.

I am Prince Ivan of Buyan, son of Tsar Georgy II, son of Tsar Georgy the Great. I join the Fellowship to find a cure for the growing madness of my father (and more to see life outside of Kitezh, though this is much less official). I am brave, pious, and more than a little naive about the world, but eager and loyal to a fault.

I am the youngest son of the Tsar, and have always been entranced by the tales my tutor told of the world. So, as the madness of my father grew, my brothers and I drew lots to see who of us would leave the Isle in search of a cure. The lot that was first drawn was that of my eldest brother, who was betrothed to Marya Morevna. So that he did not have to be parted from his love, I claimed the lot drawn was my own, and left in haste before the deception was uncovered.

My people were attacked by the Betrayer during the reign of Georgy the Great (my grandfather). Our city, on the shores of Lake Baikal, was rich in both coin and wisdom, as, in addition to the silks our traders brought, we housed the holy books of Perun, and, as such, we were a target of the dark one's ire. Though we fought valiantly, our soldiers were driven from the field. As the Betrayer (curse his name), closed in on the city, the citizens of the town began to pray. As the first of his soldiers reached the walls, a great work was done through the aid of the most high, and fountains of water erupted forth, causing the peninsula which housed the city to float into the lake. The last thing seen by the invaders was the spire of the cathedral of Perun, drifting out into a fog. Since then, we have been hidden by the mists in splendid isolation. We have lost touch with the outside world for three generations of men, and the nobles, my father included, have been slowly sliding into fits of melancholy and rage.

I will protect the safety of my city. I have taken (without permission) the lantern which shines a path through the mists of the lake, it is dangerous, but the Gods reward courage, as the saying goes.

pre:
Sheet:

Name: Prince Ivan of Buyan, the Heir

Look: Cropped dark hair, Handsome face with a kind smile, Determined and eager eyes, Royal silk robes, embroidered with flowers. 

Agenda: 
  • Be Brave, Take Risks
  • Tell Us of Your People
  • Improve the World Around You
  • But What of My Kingdom: Act on behalf of your kingdom's wealth and honor, first and foremost
Stats:
  • Blood +1
  • Courage +2
  • Grace +0
  • Sense -1
  • Wisdom +2
Heir's Core:
  • Royal Treatment: When you visit the ruler of a place and introduce yourself, you and your friends are all given a room for the night and a hot meal to Fill Your Belly, free of charge.
  • Yes, My Liege (Wisdom): When you give an order to non-hostile NPCs, roll +Wisdom. On a 10+, they obey you to the best of their ability before they can even think about it. On a 7-9, the Overlord chooses one: * They do it, but not very well, or exactly how you wanted. * They offer you something they think you wanted instead. * They stop what they are doing and turn their attention to you instead.
What is the Heir
  • The Forgotten Lands: Your kingdom was not believed to exist until recently. Your people are unlike any in all the world. Tell us about a powerful, useful feature that is unique to your people:
  • Home of Three Winds: Perun has blessed the sons of the Tsars so that they would be able to provide for their people. Three winds make their home in Buyan: Uncle North, Uncle East, and Uncle West. Ivan can whistle for his uncles, and they will blow to his commands. Lazy Uncle South, however, wasn't there when the island sailed into the lake, and no-one in Buyan knows where he's been since.
Royal Gear
    Ivan has some food, grabbed from the royal kitchen on his way out of town (food, 4 uses) [][][][] Ivan also has some poultices his thoughtful elder sister Vasilisa made for him (she knows Ivan pretty well) (2 Uses, Healing, Slow)[][] Ivan grabbed the sword Kladenets, an heirloom weapon last used by Tsar Georgy at the battle against the Betrayer (curse his name) (Melee, Precious). Ivan brought his beloved horse Agripin with him.
  • Protection: Ivan brought a bow his sister-in-law-to-be Marya Morevna gave him. It's a fine weapon, and has been used to hunt geese many times (Ranged, 2 Ammo) [][]
  • Excessive amounts of: Cash! Ivan stuffed a bag with riches on his way out the door. (Precious, 2 uses) [][]
  • Ivan is quite rich, so he also brought: His drinking buddy and footman Alyosha. Alyosha is crafty and tricky, two things Ivan is less than ideal at. (Servant) He also brought his tutor with him. Sergey is an old priest, and has been trying to beat some sense into Ivan since Ivan was a boy. Ivan brought Sergey along to help him get by in the outside world, as Sergey has read considerably of the old times (Advisor)
  • Ivan also brought the a lantern which was crafted long ago. It alone can shine through the fog of the lake and illuminate the way to the Isle of Buyan (Map to the location of a source of power the Overlord does not yet have)
Heir Customs:
  • How Dare You: Ivan is hot-blooded and doesn't handle being insulted. When someone insults him to his face, he may immediately attempt to Finish Them (without advantage) or Speak Softly to them (asking two questions without rolling).
  • Noble Bearing: Ivan is the model of a young prince, and when one of his companions stats becomes damaged, he can damage one of his stats instead. Once per scene, when he is in dire need, he can erase a bond to have the person listed appear at his side
  • Parry! Counter! Thrust!: Ivan is an excellent swordsman, and when he fights someone one-on-one in melee, he may Keep Them At Bay as if he rolled a 10+

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

It is known among the mariners of the world that the ocean listens, yet most are unaware of the truth that lies deep within the depths. The sea-folk were always there. They were the first, according to their lore, while the world was much younger, violent, and primordial. The rare land-folk who know of them are specifically chosen by merit to serve the sea-folk's interests and sworn into secrecy. They watched and lived quietly off the shores, their people hidden where none could reach them.

Until He came.

The Betrayer changed everything, and brought the terrible truth down upon the sea-folk that the water would no longer hide or shelter them. His reach dashed the waves and did to them what He did to all others. Their vast libraries were looted and drawn to the surface to be put to the torch, just like those of the surface. The vast coral gardens were smashed and stolen piecemeal by His servants.

Worst of all, the Betrayer discovered that the sea-folk taste comparable to the finest of fish. Cooked properly, nothing fished from the ocean could compare.

The sea-folk now exist as nomads, constantly moving along the coasts in tribes to avoid being found by the Betrayer and his servants. Their great cities are lost, and records of their long lived civilization long destroyed. The Fellowship represents a last hope, and Talthe and his brother recognize it as such. They have left the oceans and made themselves known, chosen to be representatives of their dwindling people and serve as the spear that will pierce the Betrayer's side and bring peace not only to the sea-folk, but also the world. While not able to trace their bloodlines to any of the old sea princes nor belonging to any families of distinction, they the pair are hearty and brave, skill hunters and born adventurers of an endangered race.

The pair have been gifted with one of the last Seaguard rings, ancient signets once given to landbound agents of the Sea-folk. While the original bearers are long dead, the matching rings were no doubt passed down through their families, all deemed elf-friend. They are bound by blood and magic through the rings to offer aid when found. By that same measure, the ring must never be lost to the Betrayer or His servants, for in doing so their surface dwelling servants are doomed to discovery and eradication. And finally, the rings could be used to track down the constantly moving remaining communities of merfolk that swim the seas of the world.

code:
Name: Talthe Coral-born, Merfolk
Look: Large Eyes, Bald, Hooded woven robe, Willowy Body
Agenda: Perfect Purity
Stats:
Blood +0
Courage +1
Grace +2
Sense +2
Wisdom -1

Gear:
Elven Bread (Food, 4 uses)
Hunter's bow (Ranged, Elf-Made, 3 ammo)
Light Armor ((1 Use, Armor, Elf-Made)
Survival knife (Melee, Elf-Made)
Extra Quiver (3 ammo)
Seaguard Ring (1 use, secret organization)

Companion:
Pearl the Shark Blooded - Blade Dancer, (1 bond - brother. Dance of death, Graceful In All Things)

Elven Custom: 
Elfsight
Enemy at the Gates
Karr's name is well known among my kin, because he was also once of the Sea before being seduced by the Betrayer.

When we were both much younger, Lord Amir and I once hunted together. Together, we tracked and slew one of the monsters of the far depths. Well beyond the safe regions where my people frequent. Into the deepest blue where only the bold or foolish ever venture. I'm still not sure which of those we were.. I made the creature's hard hide into armor, and still wear it to this day.

Raliin distrusts me and all my people. Maybe he thinks we meddle with those on the surface, and we are alien to his world. It matters little. He is a savage, even if he is a useful one.

Liara knows why I truly left home, and why I stay away. I'm not full Merfolk, and neither is Pearl. Which is why we are ideal for this mission. We're able to survive away from water for longer than several days without special magic. I can't return home until I learn more about my other heritage, and what that may mean for who I am.

Pearl the Speardancer is my brother and friend. We grew and trained together, and it's only right that we travel together to either save or doom the world

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 6, 2015

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
From squalor I was born. Alone I walked the earth. From early on, I knew: my people are unbreakable. So shall I also be.

I have traveled and seen every known land. I have fought in wars for both sides. I have experimented love with all peoples. I have slain monsters, taken their loot, and spent it all on trivialities. Finally, I came back to my own land – only to see my peers humiliated and subjugated by a corruptor, a liar, a wizard. The sport of strangling the impostor earned me the respect and allegiance of all Dwarves, and with it the crown.

Today, I come to you as Champion and King of my people. I care not for scholars and their toys, for I have achieved anything and everything with nothing but the muscles lining my back. But I was not born to sit in a throne of gold, pampered by feasts and gists. My heart belongs to travel, battle, and glory. I feared the world had nothing else to offer to quench my blood's boiling thirst. But there is one thing left: the unthinkable. I have sensed that the time is ripe for one last adventure, the one to surpass every single one that came before it. No doubt you have sensed it as well, and thus we gather here tonight. The Betrayer is a weakling, a man afraid of libraries, and yet he gathers for himself power to control and repress the freedom of our peoples. This mockery will NOT stand.

This is what I offer you, fellowship: these hands, which have destroyed one demagogue. May they do so again.

Lord Amir, the Ram
The Dwarf
, level 1

Look
Burning eyes, flowing locks, bronzed skin, shirtless.

Agendas
• Be brave, take risks.
• Tell you of my people.
• Improve the world around me.
• Insatiable Greed. Take for myself that which was meant for others.

Stats
Iron +2
Blood +2
Courage +1
Grace +1
Sense +0
Wisdom -1

Moves

People of stone. When you Finish Them by outlasting them, out-drinking them, or by slugging it out blow by blow until one of you falls, roll +Iron.

Unbreakable. When you Fill Your Belly, you also heal your Iron stat.

Clear the Path. When you charge through something standing between you and where you're going, roll +Iron. On a 7+, you charge through and cleave a path for your allies to follow. On a 7-9, your reckless charge cause problems. You have to go alone, or you leave yourself open to danger, or you damage something important, your choice.

All that glitters. When you enter a place and something doesn't feel right, you may ask the Overlord if there is a trap or ambush here. They will answer honestly, yes or no.

Let me see that. When you take a few moments to handle or examine an interesting item, vehicle, or architecture, ask the Overlord two of the following questions. They must answer truthfully.
• Who made this and why should I care about them?
• What was this thing made to do, and how do I use ir or break it?
• What's wrong with this, and how might I fix it?

What is a Dwarf?

Stoneborn. When you stand on solid ground, you cannot be knocked off your feet or moved unless you want to be, and you can stop anything trying to get past you by Keeping Them Busy with +Iron.

Gear

• Dwarven hardtack (food, 5 uses)
• Solid means of protection: a surprising burst of expert reflexes (1 use, armor)
• My fists, harder than any stone (melee, dwarf-made)
• Strong alcohol (2 uses, food only for dwarves, drunk: wisdom + sense, vigor: blood + courage)
• A bag of gems and gold, spoils from looting a monster's lair (2 uses, precious)
• A family heirloom, none like it in the world: the sigil of the Dwarf King. When you ask your ancestors for guidance on a topic (1 use), you may Command Lore about that topic for the rest of the scene as if it were part of your culture.
Currently: 1 use of strong alcohol spent.

Companions

• Ferric, Dwarven defender: loyal, shield-bearer
Bond. Ferric holds a much higher respect for the ancient custom of Dwarven folk than myself.

• Mauve, Dwarven berserker: blind rage, reckless valor
Bond. Mauve's wild abandon reminds me of myself.

Bonds

I owe Harbinger Karr a life debt.
Miha of Pebbles knows of my secret shame.
I would shear my beard for Raliin Coalface.
Talthe Coralborn's forefathers and mine knew one another.

Notes

• Dwarves are a proud warrior race who number too few. A typical Dwarf is taller, stronger, and sturdier than a human. Most have worked at some point as soldiers or mercenaries. Amir specifically is a brick of a man, built entirely of ridiculously bulging muscles, and he towers over others.
• I have chosen Let me see that less because Amir is a fine craftsman and more because he is an avid appreciator of loot.
• The sigil of the Dwarf King isn't exactly a family heirloom, but was given to Lord Amir with the throne. He isn't King by blood, but by accomplishment. Using the sigil, Amir asks the previous line of kings for guidance, not his personal ancestors.
• Lord Amir's companions are his personal royal bodyguards.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 12, 2015

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Perfect picture located. Also explicitly answered the bolded questions. Anything seem missing in my app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, folks! First up: Please have a second playbook in mind in case I end up picking you and there's major overlap - you and the person you overlap with will negotiate which one wants to swap to another playbook and how to do that, if this becomes required. I don't know that it will.

Second: questions! I'll keep asking questions to people I haven't gotten to or who are new appers as things go on.

Parlabane the Elf (Vulpes Vulpes): Your people stubbornly keep the schedule of the stars, despite your advice. They are not fools, though this may be foolish. Why do they do this?

Kay(?) the Squire (Green Bean): You are not strong or wise or powerful, but you would fight to save the world anyway. What is it that you keep in your heart, to be sure you remain this brave?

Dvalin, son of Dain, the Dwarf (Quorum): Your people did not believe they could be harmed from without, for their Stoneholds were impregnable. Who betrayed the secret of the dark paths to the Betrayer, and why was it so personal for you?

Rose Blossom,. the Halfling (Kylra): They say Varethrax will spare those scholars who swear themselves to him. What do you think of those who have taken this offer, and which of them was closest to you?

Lore of the World, the Orc (Krysmphoenix): I'll ask you once you've got more posted. This is a reminder for me.

Appolonius of Legends, the Heir (Astus): Some of the most ancient rules of the Games of Old have been lost. Who benefits most from the chaos, and what do you fear the Betrayer might offer them?

Ioa, Reclaimer #5995, the Elf (JesterOfAmerica): Your people prize knowledge over all else, but few know you well. How did the Betrayer wrest away so many of your secrets for himself - and worse, make them so much bigger and more dangerous?

Liara of the Storm, the Heir (Neopie): Your people have lived so long beneath the ground, and these sunlit ways are strange. When all this is done, what will you bring home most joyfully, and what will you spread to the surface world most fervently?

Robard Goldworthy, the Halfling (Capfalcon): Marker for later, to remind myself to ask you when you're finished.

Dirge Songheart, the Orc (Astro Ambulance): You retain your voice, alone among all your people. Why were you spared, and who paid the price?

Raliin Coalface, the Orc (paradoxGentleman): The name Coalface was given to your tribe to mark your shame, yet yours is the tribe closest to freedom. What chains the hearts of less shamed tribes?

Miha of Pebbles and Ilya of Flowers, the Halfling(s) (sentrygun): Your people were scattered even before the Betrayer came to take their power and burn their knowledge. Now, it is even harder to talk to each other, to know who is truly a friend and who has turned for their own survival. What lets you know that while it may be beaten, the spirit of the Nomads has not yet broken?

Prince Torrigan of the Builders, the Heir (FewtureMD): First, stop breaking my tables, please. Second, the Builders once had the greatest and most beautiful cities. Now, so many things have been turned to other uses, far from their original intent. Which strikes at your heart most, and why?

Karr, the Harbinger (Error 404): Once, your people worked alongside the Betrayer, helped him to shackle and destroy the Word. What turned you against him, and why do some still waver?

Prince Ivan of Buyan, the Heir (nomadotto): You are the first of your people to leave the city in generations. What most amazes you about the outer world now, and what do you fear will follow you home?

Talthe Coral-Born, the Elf (IPlayVideoGames): It has been long years since your people have spoken to those that live in fresh water. What is said of them, and are they of your people and the Seaguard?

Lord Amir the Ram, the Dwarf (Cyphoderus): Your people are immense, strong and powerful. Who named them Dwarves, and why do they wear that name with pride?

• Locked thread