Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If we're all Cylons, does that make Cocks Baltar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Cavil's original Drawback is to discard his entire hand when another player reveals as a cylon. Ouch. That's pretty rough and out of his control, but appropriate consider how powerful Cavil is. This typically happens twice a game barring Exodus loyalty deck stuff.

So let's think about this. In this game, Cavil will have to worry about 20 other Motive Cards. 1/3 are "reveal during the game" types which means he has to worry about on average 6 to 7 of them. Now not all of them may get accomplished. We can't assume every Cylon Leader will be as equally successful :) So I believe a reasonable assumption is that only about ~5 show up. That's 10 random cards over the course of the game. Is that equal to dumping your entire hand twice?

Sure a "once per turn" limiting clause is reasonable, but I doubt it's going to make a huge difference.

1 random card is too little. How about split the difference? Once per turn, when another player reveals a Motive Card, you must discard 1 random Skill Card and then 1 Skill Card of your choice from your hand.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I like both the line of reasoning and the conclusion. I'm on board.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Works for me! Good reasoning.

One of the most interesting things about getting deeper into running/playing BSG is hearing people's input on the design process and tweaks to the game. :)

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I'm sure we have given it more thought that FFG at this point.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Podima posted:

One of the most interesting things about getting deeper into running/playing BSG is hearing people's input on the design process and tweaks to the game. :)

I had a post here, but I had a Realignment of Decisions.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

:salt: :qq: :salt:

I said I enjoyed hearing them, not that I necessarily AGREED with all of them!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Toshimo posted:

This reference

My head

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

This reference

My head

There was an extended bit of banter during my last game about someone dancing around having a Change of Plans in their hand.

Also Toshimo has a hateboner for doesn't like Change of Plans.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I didn't even parse that as a Change of Plans equivalent. Well played.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Ok let's get this started

1) SomeNumbers
2) Toshimo
3) Podima
4) BrokenLoose
5) Pander
6) Metos

Pick characters and starting draws. First player draws normal 5. Everyone else draws 3. Order determines precedence in case there are any conflicts. But choose who you want! After everyone has picked, I'll re-order you as needed to maintain BSG weird character picking rules.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
"For Love" is only prevented for Statics/OPGs? Or does it apply to Skill cards/Quorum/Mutiny that discard for positive effect?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, can you keep Recalculating as long as you have ENG to discard?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

FRAK YES.

##LEOBEN MOTHERFRAKKERS

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Toshimo posted:

"For Love" is only prevented for Statics/OPGs? Or does it apply to Skill cards/Quorum/Mutiny that discard for positive effect?

According to the FAQ, it is only restricted for statics/OPGs and end of turn discards. And I suppose technically a Super Crisis Card effect too. But everything else is fair game such as Drawbacks, Food crisis cards, moving between ships.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Toshimo posted:

Also, can you keep Recalculating as long as you have ENG to discard?

Yes.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

FRAK YES.

##LEOBEN MOTHERFRAKKERS

Ha ha, you chose a Pilot. Also, Draw Skill Cards.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cocks Cable posted:

According to the FAQ, it is only restricted for statics/OPGs and end of turn discards. And I suppose technically a Super Crisis Card effect too. But everything else is fair game such as Drawbacks, Food crisis cards, moving between ships.

Wait. Did you just ninja-edit it to be OPT?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cocks Cable posted:

Ha ha, you chose a Pilot. Also, Draw Skill Cards.

Okay, so we're going to rewind for a second, because I now have some additional questions.

1) Where do any characters set up?
2) Do any/all/none of us start infiltrated?
3) You made Leoben a Pilot and left his drawback untouched? Dick move
4) Are we locking in our draws before we see our Motives?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
yessssssss :getin: But I wanted Leoben, frak you Some Numbers!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

Okay, so we're going to rewind for a second, because I now have some additional questions.

1) Where do any characters set up?
2) Do any/all/none of us start infiltrated?
3) You made Leoben a Pilot and left his drawback untouched? Dick move
4) Are we locking in our draws before we see our Motives?

1/2. All characters have setup locations on Galactica so I assume we all start Infiltrated.

3. How often do pilots need to be in the same space quadrant though? It's not a nasty drawback.

4. This is a good point, loyalty is dealt out before skill card draws. Though that typically gets passed over for normal BSG games, it might be a little more important for this game.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

Wait. Did you just ninja-edit it to be OPT?

No, it's OPT on the base character. Looks like the only edit to that ability is to include Mutiny Cards as options to draw/discard.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
I would argue that space areas are not locations at all?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Podima posted:

3. How often do pilots need to be in the same space quadrant though? It's not a nasty drawback.

It's more that if Athena starts on the Hangar Deck, Leoben can't even get into space until she moves.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also I'm about to head into a meeting so will pick my character within the hour. If Some Numbers still wants to stick with Leoben, I'll probably go Doral, D'Anna, or Cavil. Still debating.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Podima posted:

1/2. All characters have setup locations on Galactica so I assume we all start Infiltrated.
Oh, I missed those. Okay. Frak.

quote:

It might not be that bad, but as Toshimo mentioned, I literally can't get into space if someone takes Athena.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I would like an explanation for why Leoben starts in the Armory.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Even at face value it makes no sense, but when you add in that he's a Pilot and his drawback, it ends up making NEGATIVE sense.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

It might not be that bad, but as Toshimo mentioned, I literally can't get into space if someone takes Athena.

A drawback is a drawback. :shrug: You can XO her to move. Or I can move her ahead of you in turn order so she can move first (or not...).

I'll go ahead and say space areas are not locations. Let me add that clarification to the reference post.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Boomer starts in the Armory and is a Pilot. :shrug:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also, can we choose our draws after seeing motives?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Podima posted:

Boomer starts in the Armory and is a Pilot. :shrug:

Right, but Boomer doesn't say "can't use the Hangar Deck turn 1."

I realize I'm making a sandcastle out of a molehill here, it's just an awkward combination of circumstances.

I'm not even sure why Leoben is a Pilot at all, but oh well

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Some Numbers posted:

I'm not even sure why Leoben is a Pilot at all, but oh well

Because, who else would be?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Leoben is a pilot because he rode around in a Heavy Raider a few times, and he loves Starbuck, and someone needs to be a pilot.

Podima posted:

Also, can we choose our draws after seeing motives?

Mmmm, no. I'll err on the side of hilarity.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Cocks Cable posted:

Ok let's get this started

1) SomeNumbers
2) Toshimo
3) Podima
4) BrokenLoose
5) Pander
6) Metos

Pick characters and starting draws. First player draws normal 5. Everyone else draws 3. Order determines precedence in case there are any conflicts. But choose who you want! After everyone has picked, I'll re-order you as needed to maintain BSG weird character picking rules.

Wububalubadubdub!

##Gimme John Cavil
##preload Cavil Maneuver

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Hello folks. Don't mind me.

##starting draw: 1 LEA, 1 ENG, 1 TAC

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cocks, I already hate that you called the new Title "Cylon Leader" as it makes Ctrl+F on the OP miserable.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

## Draw ENG

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think I'm going to have words about this after the game, but for now, despite my reservations, none of the other CLs look remotely interesting.

##Lock in Leoben, draw Lea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I didn't know what else to call it :(

"current jagoff who thinks he's in charge"

• Locked thread