Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
My girlfriend and I are looking to do a quick trip to fairbanks to check out the northern lights in late October. We realize that we can't always see them but we've wanted to make this trip for a while now. We're planning on flying out on Friday, and returning on Monday, we're from San Francisco.

Any recommendations on the best way to see the lights? I see that there are some specialty cabins where you can pop outside and see it your self. There are also other places that take you on a tour. Any other must see's in Fairbanks while we're there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Look up Chena hot springs. It's a 30-45 minute drive from Fairbanks but it's out in the woods so not a ton of light pollution, they have a restaurant and cabins and rooms for you to stay in, plus hot springs to soak in when it's cold out in the middle of the night while you watch the Lights.

http://www.chenahotsprings.com

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Thanks I'll take a look at this.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

tranten posted:

Look up Chena hot springs. It's a 30-45 minute drive from Fairbanks but it's out in the woods so not a ton of light pollution, they have a restaurant and cabins and rooms for you to stay in, plus hot springs to soak in when it's cold out in the middle of the night while you watch the Lights.

http://www.chenahotsprings.com

Seconding Chena Hot Springs. The only caveat is if you rent a car make sure they don't prohibit driving it on the Steese Highway up to Chena.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm part of a Northern Lights Chaser group in Canada and latitudes where Alaska/Yukon/NWT etc are located have all been fairly active, there's been a number of CMEs hitting the planet lately. Nothing huge like there was on November 3/4, but still visible and usually overhead. Right now, though, there's really not much happening.

Start looking as soon as it's dark and be prepared to stay awake until 3 am. Cloud cover predictions can be tricky, and you can easily go from clear to covered to clear to covered over a span of several hours.

If you like I can update you on possible events, were you set on exact dates or just a weekend on a whim if conditions were favourable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Drink Stove Oil
Apr 4, 2009

SWOLE PATROL

Thoguh posted:

Seconding Chena Hot Springs. The only caveat is if you rent a car make sure they don't prohibit driving it on the Steese Highway up to Chena.

The road to Chena is paved/maintained and a separate road from the Steese.

However, the Steese HWY up to Circle is probably not allowed for rentals. Still, winter might be the best time to sneak up in a rental car if you have snow tires and a plug in and another vehicle to rely on. Fewer odd of taking a rock to the windshield or blowing out a tire.

• Locked thread