Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

quote:

You guys are cruel. This picture was taken in the harsh glare of unflattering lighting.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The Fattest PI posted:

How fast is full impulse? It's gotta be pretty fuckin fast to do anything spacey in an appreciable amount of time right? Why isn't ramming way more effective in that case? Hell if it's any decent speed you wouldn't even need a warhead on your torpedos, just put your spacegarbage in a box and fuckin impulse it at your enemies and they'll be smashed to pieces.

edit: I just googled this because I'm stupid nerdman

So Voyager went a 1/4 the speed of light. That's loving insane. Why do they even have weapons? Just grab a couple asteroids with a tractor beam, and anytime some lovely alien with a stupid forehead pops up in your way, just accelerate to full impulse for like 2 seconds, just long enough to release the asteroid in the direction of the retard alien, stop again, and watch the alien get hit with a rock at a quarter lightspeed, which by my rainman like headmath skills, is equal to like 10,000,000 nukes.

Also, if they can go that fast how do they allow any goddamn torpedo, which fire at sub-relativistic speeds, hit them? They're always like "evasion pattern delta omega 3!!!" which turns out is just sitting idly in front of the bad guys like a kilometer away. I can understand why they always show the ships facing off so close for the show, I mean fighting battles against poo poo you never see doesn't make for good TV. It would make for even better TV if these fuckin space boats would move around and dodge poo poo.

You're overthinking this. Star Trek, impulse , warp, et al is not real. It does not exist. These words are all just devices to service plot contrivances.

e:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Everyone laughed and he left.

This sounds like sdnh, but I want to believe.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 19, 2015

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Anybody who is in Ten Forward during a red alert is either a lollygagger or a civilian. They're expendable.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The Fattest PI posted:

What I'm saying is they could have had identical episodes with identical plots with more in-universe-realistic stuff, which would have also made for better tv/ratings. It would have been more expensive though for sure.

Fair enough. Star Trek always could've used more science in their science fiction.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Zero One posted:

Real-life Star Trek encounters: When I was like 9 or 10 Scotty hit on my mom at a convention and then I remember him being at the hotel and her sitting on his lap. Now I have a little brother.

Also Spock knocked me over at the buffet because I was in between him and his coffee.

James Doohan was hardcore as gently caress.

wikipedia posted:

"At the beginning of the Second World War, Doohan joined the Royal Canadian Artillery.[9] He was commissioned a lieutenant in the 13th Field Artillery Regiment of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. He was sent to England in 1940 for training. His first combat was the invasion of Normandy at Juno Beach on D-Day. Shooting two snipers, Doohan led his men to higher ground through a field of anti-tank mines, where they took defensive positions for the night. Crossing between command posts at 11:30 that night, Doohan was hit by six rounds fired from a Bren gun by a nervous Canadian sentry:[10] four in his leg, one in the chest, and one through his right middle finger. The bullet to his chest was stopped by a silver cigarette case given to him by his brother.[citation needed]His right middle finger had to be amputated, something he would conceal during his career as an actor."

• Locked thread