Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
What is Double Take?
Double Take is a new comic publisher spearheaded by former Marvel President (and controversy magnet) Bill Jemas. The initial launch of ten titles is being released on September 16, 2015. All first issues can be read online for free at the Double Take website. All ten titles take place in one common universe.

I have it on good authority that a goon works in the office too... :ssh:

What's with the panel-by-panel digital presentation?
Double Take's comics are designed for mobile optimization. They incorporate elements of stop-motion animation that give the stories a unique feel. Give it a try on your smart phone or tablet of choice!

What if I don't want a "unique feel?" Gimme my pages!
Double Take is also releasing comics in the traditional way. Print versions can be found in comic shops and retailers throughout the US. Issues can be purchased individually or in Genesis packs that contain all ten first issues of each series.

How come I've never heard of these writers/artists?
Many of Double Take's creators are new to comics. Others have worked for small publishers or independently. Other than Jemas, however, there aren't really any creators who could be considered "big names" (yet!). Let's all wish them long and highly successful careers in the field.

Read the Books Online!

Z-MEN #1

SPRING #1

HOME #1

DEDICATION #1

REMOTE #1

HONOR #1

SOUL #1

RISE #1

MEDIC #1

SLAB #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Close thread.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nice hot pants on the lady cop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

While I no interest in these whatsoever, I will say that the trade dress is clean and attractive and you can definitely tell they are from the same publisher.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I 'm loving stunned

this is way worse than what I was imagining!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every single one of these are poo poo. I can't even process the plots anymore, the books are just so terribly drawn and lettered that I can't understand half of what is going on.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I like the cover to Dedication #1 :shrug:

But that's it. This is slop.

Seriously, what the flying gently caress is up with the dialog in Medic? It's a crazed fever dream of nonsense.

Also, thank goodness they inserted the pound sign in the profane words. Almost saw a bad word spelled completely out!

Slab might be the worst of the bunch. The dialogue is lines literally repeated over and over and over again, the video cameras were drawn by someone who has never seen a video camera before, and there are like 6 pages/panels devoted to a girl walking to the side of a room.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 16, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

My very reaction upon reading those comics.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
The nicest thing I can say about any of these is that some of the cover artists should move onto a much better company. The fact they're all zombie books barely factors into why these books are terrible, they could be about anything and the writing and art on every book would still be terrible.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm assuming by these creators being "new to comics" the OP meant "have never seen a comic book before in their lives"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Nice hot pants on the lady cop.

More than that. 4 out of 10 books with blatantly cheescake-y covers? Jemas knows that didn't help Marville, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What exactly is Jemas contributing to be first billed on pretty much all these books?

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Highly recommend "Home, Lighter Than Air" for the inexplicably foul-mouthed 5 year old child whose comments are never explained or commented upon by any other characters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OP, if you work at Double Take you should start looking for a new job.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

MagnesiumB posted:

Highly recommend "Home, Lighter Than Air" for the inexplicably foul-mouthed 5 year old child whose comments are never explained or commented upon by any other characters.

Seriously what is up with that little girl, it's like all her dialogue was replaced by Sam kinison quotes.

Mister Nobody fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 16, 2015

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
60% of "Dedication" is literally a grocery store manager fussing at his employees. The other 25% is the employees stocking shelves. The remaining 15% is zombies eating cereal and the entire setup of Night of the Living Dead with no changes (Venus probe!)

It may be the most boring comic I've ever read. I'm impressed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mister Nobody posted:

Seriously what is up with that little girl, it's like all her dialogue was replaced by Sam kinison quotes.

my going theory is the letterer somehow replaced all of the little girl's dialogue with vile poo poo and somehow no one caught it before it could go up online. and has yet to take it down and fix it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

my going theory is the letterer somehow replaced all of the little girl's dialogue with vile poo poo and somehow no one caught it before it could go up online. and has yet to take it down and fix it.

"letterer"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

"letterer"
I'm impressed that they 1)needed and 2)found 7 different people to paste the script lines into the exact same format for these 10 comics.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 16, 2015

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I decided to check out the creators' page on the Double Take website, because I recalled reading something months ago about a few people from The Moth being involved in this. Unless I'm missing something, there seems to be a weird discrepency where a lot of the writers with bios on the site have very little involvement with the published books (Colin Mitchell, for example, seems to only be involved with "Remote") while Michael Coast, whose name is on a lot of the actual books is not mentioned on the creators' page at all (ditto Eric Hobbs and Julian Rowe, who are also given story credits in the books themselves). Was there some drastic turnover in creative staff during production? Although, frankly, even the scripts by experienced writers and story-tellers (some of Brian Finkelstein's stuff that I've read/heard elsewhere is solid) are weirdly amateurish and sloppy. This is all just baffling.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man, not another thread arguing about Squirrel Girl's art.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Why does one of these feature a loving invisible person?!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh and despite these all being terrible I'm still pushing them on to unsuspecting customers.

Truly I am a monster.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Why does one of these feature a loving invisible person?!

Why are they all riding up front?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rhyno posted:

Oh and despite these all being terrible I'm still pushing them on to unsuspecting customers.

Truly I am a monster.

It's okay Rhyno. Dude's gotta eat. Also, these comics are strangely entertaining so you're not totally being dishonest :v:.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Kind of want to read 'DARK COMICS'. That guy looks hilarious.

Also, what the gently caress happened to make this a real thing that's actually happening? I mean... how?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

:vince:

Rhyno posted:

OP, if you work at Double Take you should start looking for a new job.

:ohdear: Any resume tips?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Price Check posted:

:ohdear: Any resume tips?

Are you any good at blowjobs?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Are you any good at blowjobs?

Terrible at both giving and receiving.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

This infinite comics thing is incredible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Price Check posted:

Terrible at both giving and receiving.

Sorry son, you've got no future in this business.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Five second rule! It's still good!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
While I guess you can applaud Doubletake for trying something different and new, and probably something that they assume will catch on in the future. It's kind of like having a brick cell phone back in the day when no one else had cell phones. That being said, the art is some of the ugliest poo poo I have ever seen, the word boxes at the bottom are loving hideous and everything about it seems stupid as gently caress. This may be the future of comics that we are witnessing in its infancy, and hopefully some other company can make it actually work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

While I guess you can applaud Doubletake for blatantly copying the Walking Dead, Crossed and pretty much every other zombie genre comic of the last 10 years.

A little bit of a fix for ya there buddy.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

MagnesiumB posted:

Oh my god, these keep getting better and better. There is no way this isn't just someone loving around and it somehow made it to publish.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 17, 2015

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
I assume "elements of stop-motion animation" refers to the way they devote 6+ frames just to show somebody walking or something that could easily be implied in one? In that case guess the "unique feel" is having to click 6+ times to find a page where something is actually loving happening, which until now was almost exclusively endemic to terrible webcomics. Congratulations to Double Take for bringing that to new digital frontiers I guess.

Home works so well as parody that I have doubts it's meant to be read seriously.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

enigmahfc posted:

Oh my god, these keep getting better and better. There is no way this isn't just someone loving around and it somehow made it to publish.

This is amazing. I wonder if her dialog got swapped by mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

This reminds me almost exactly of the digital comics that were on Marvel's website when Jemas was publisher. You know the flash based stuff that was like a bunch of random issues of Ultimate comics series?

• Locked thread