Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/07/decline-american-actor/395291/

quote:

Is it time for American actors to take a hard look in the mirror? Earlier this year Michael Douglas mused darkly to a magazine interviewer, “I think we have a little crisis going on amongst our young actors at this point,” and Spike Lee, commenting on the “invasion” of black British actors, had some pithy observations on the subject, too: “You want talented people,” he said, and British actors’ “training is very proper, whereas some of these other brothers and sisters, you know, they come in here, and they don’t got that training.” Douglas and Lee, just like the rest of us who go to the movies, are a tad puzzled about why so many good American roles have been going to English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish, Australian, and Canadian actors. The phenomenon may have reached its unignorable peak in last year’s docudrama Selma: the parts of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Coretta Scott King, Governor George Wallace, and President Lyndon B. Johnson were all played by Brits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Maybe they should act harder.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

loving canadian actors stealing all the god drat jobs!!!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
who gives a poo poo

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
This bullshit wouldn't be happening if Trump was in the white house

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Welsh? Who's letting those sheepfuckers act? (did i do that right brits???)

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Chinatown posted:

who gives a poo poo

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

I this Michael Douglas' way of calling african americans lazy?

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Chinatown posted:

who gives a poo poo

yea who gives is a poo poo let's just let the Brits, from whom we won our freedom, take over our most cherished industry

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

starry skies above posted:

yea who gives is a poo poo let's just let the Brits, from whom we won our freedom, take over our most cherished industry

aspergers must be a terrible thing to have to live with on a daily basis

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i literally almost just typed daniel day lewis because of gangs of new york or there will be blood, proving he is better at being an american than americans

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Chinatown posted:

who gives a poo poo

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
As an idiot who becomes confused and shuts down when they hear an unfamiliar accent, this is a tragedy

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Dey took er jerbs!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Movies are boring now, and Americans have enough good sense to get out while the getting is good.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I guess we take their jobs in revenge. Chimney sweeps, cobble stone pavers, drunken criminal...

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Cor, blimey.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
like how many movies have you watched where you recognize the same actor and every role is american then you find out they're brit oz kiwi etc

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
so what? we outsource all our other jobs

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

go act where you came from

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Fat Jesus posted:

go act where you came from

A group of 5 Americans visit the industries that foreign actors escaped from.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
real americans are too busy doing important stuff like innovating freedom solutions to waste time playing make believe in front of a camera

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
like every character in horns was played by a brit

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

who gives a poo poo

jews

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Maldoror posted:

like every character in horns was played by a brit

and it was obvious

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
why aren't the politicians doing anything about this? stopping our youth from moving upward socially

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Like any other trend, it prolly involves circumventing some sort of pro-worker thing for more producer kash

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

hello, black brits are the master race

naem
May 29, 2011

I thought it was because movies make a lot of $$ overseas and it helps to have nonamericans onscreen

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Like any other trend, it prolly involves circumventing some sort of pro-worker thing for more producer kash

yep. foreigners cant get SAG cards which is the main thing producers hate

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
all the agents must be from australia and the uk because god knows some of those actors have horrible american accents

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Chinatown posted:

who gives a poo poo

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
we just dont have as hearty a stock as the hemsworths or the hardys of the world

with this beefcake revolution coming from overseas, how are we supposed to compete? even gosling is canadian for gods sake. the last true american grade-a beef comes from the wwf, the rock and cena are our last hope as a nation.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

extra stout posted:

i literally almost just typed daniel day lewis because of gangs of new york or there will be blood, proving he is better at being an american than americans

OTOH, Gary Oldman.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Haha you guys have to import actually manly actors in order to get anybody with a deep voice. What, are you gonna use Chris Pine? Lol Hugh Jackman is manlier than any of your guys and he's a song and dance man

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Maybe they should be as hot as Karl Urban. That's just capitalism.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

don't got that training

shameful

Odrade
May 1, 2009
This is because they are cheaper than Americans. The BBC can explain. Apparently they call English 'White Mexicans' in Hollywood which is maybe racist especially when speaking of Idris Elba.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Maybe if Americans were hotter we wouldn't have this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Chinatown posted:

aspergers must be a terrible thing to have to live with on a daily basis

• Locked thread