Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

texas is a goddamn disgrace and so is the rest of the south

Texas is sort of its own thing. Not a True Southern State. At least we prefer to think. Somehow Texas wants to tarnish the reputation of the South even further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Cops are such huge babies

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Tom Brady posted:

ill have to take your word for it, watching agents of the government murder a civilian on video is really low on my list of priorities

good thing those responsible are in jai-hahahahahahaha
i looked at it you made the right call

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

What kind of hosed up stuff does a person have to experience growing up that every time they do something stupid they just double down instead of admitting it?

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

XMNN posted:

i admire his craft

Its just a hobby that I picked up in the lobby

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

radiatinglines posted:

What kind of hosed up stuff does a person have to experience growing up that every time they do something stupid they just double down instead of admitting it?

they grow up in texas

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I know nothing at all about explosives granted but if I just saw a board with some circuits going to a display I wouldn't automatically think 'bomb' because a) where is the explosive material and b) I'm not a retard from Texas

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Hector Beerlioz posted:

This reminds me of the story where there was a deaf kindergartener who got expelled because when he was signing his name on one hand he extended his index and thumb and the teacher thought he was making threatening gun motions.
this doesnt seem to have actually happened btw

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
THE STARS AT NIGHT ARE BIG AND BRIGHT........

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
we should just give Texas back to Mexico

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tom Brady posted:

they grow up in texas

cops everywhere do this though

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

proof of concept posted:

yeah but i wanted to make a joke so i did

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
lol at treating alarm clocks more seriously than gun reform

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Gazpacho posted:

this doesnt seem to have actually happened btw

I misremembered it quite a bit, sorry. this was the story I was thinking of:
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/28/13531342-deaf-childs-sign-language-name-looks-too-much-like-gun-parent-says-school-told-him?lite

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Dre2Dee2 posted:

lol at treating alarm clocks more seriously than gun reform

Go no, please dont...

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
America will never be land of the free until every police officer is lynched publicly

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

proof of concept posted:

Because admitting you're wrong is a sign of weakness and it's imperative that cops are strong and correct in everything they do.

Hence the weird loopholes that let them do whatever they want. Just say "smelled weed" and there's your cause to search. Say the words "stop resisting" and you're justified in giving the perp a wooden shampoo.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Tom Brady posted:

except the cop literally said that he thought it looked like a movie bomb?

I take movie bomb to mean something that was obviously meant to look like a bomb even though real bombs don't look like that. This for example:

So they arrested him instead of doing what they would have done 20 years ago and just tell him to take his "Gosh look at the time keeping device I invented" act and cram it.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
These cop are such dumb asses... every body knows real bombs have a bundle of dynamite sticks

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

i was reloading posted:

If they really thought it was a bomb, why didn't they bring in the bomb disposal unit and get rid of it 'safely' instead of leaving it sitting inside a school full of kids while you talk to the kid in the office. Something about how this went down tells me they didn't think it was a bomb.

poo poo. I've just typed bomb too many times. I'm probably on a list now.

they didn't think it was a bomb, they were pretending that they thought he intended for them to think it was a bomb, even though they admit he never, ever, ever said anything other than "it's a clock"

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

a bay posted:

These cop are such dumb asses... every body knows real bombs have a bundle of dynamite sticks

and a long sparking fuse

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
if he didn't want to be arrested he shouldn't have been muslim in america

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc0OANLfy1k

We need to start targeting talking cats

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Looks like one a them bombs from that there movin' pictur show! What with the bilnkin lights and waires!

I've got you now, Terrorist!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Tom Brady posted:

your point would have more merit if they took any steps at all that would indicate they thought it was a bomb

because if they really thought there was a danger that it was an explosive device, and they took the actions they did, theyre actually literally criminally retarded

I cannot argue against that.

Also it's well known cops literally are criminally retarded.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Gbs Ideal Cop: Huh, this could be a bomb but it would be really embarassing if it turned out not to be so I better leave it alone

a bay fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 16, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Like there is no conceivable set of circumstances where this is not laughably retarded ha ha

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014
Him being a Haji may not have necessarily been the impetus for the whole thing. There are a pretty significant number of idiotic cops and teachers, anecdotal evidence but...

I mean wasn't some kid suspended for chewing a pop-tart into the shape of a gun?

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

a bay posted:

Huh, this could be a bomb but it would be really embarassing if it turned out not to be so I better leave it alone

*tears apart toaster*

it's okay. we're safe now.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
This never would have happened if a marine had volunteered to stand guard outside the school.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I was just watching some of the press conference with the Irving Police and they actually said something pretty close to "He said it was a clock and was not more forthcoming about the nature of the device".

How are these idiots still unclear on what a clock is, more forthcoming about what nature? It's a clock, what further explination do they want? It's a clock, would someone please make the Irving Police explain their understanding of a clock?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hector Beerlioz posted:

This never would have happened if a marine had volunteered to stand guard outside the school.

with a fully loaded ar-15 assault rifle, barrel shroud flipped up on his shoulder

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
How do you think this will affect his dads chances of being elected to the President of Sudan lol

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Three Olives posted:

It's a clock, would someone please make the Irving Police explain their understanding of a clock?

A device terrorists make in home ec!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

I was just watching some of the press conference with the Irving Police and they actually said something pretty close to "He said it was a clock and was not more forthcoming about the nature of the device".

How are these idiots still unclear on what a clock is, more forthcoming about what nature? It's a clock, what further explination do they want? It's a clock, would someone please make the Irving Police explain their understanding of a clock?

Bullshit! A clock has two arms what spin around a dinner plate with numbers on it! I seen a clock before!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

a bay posted:

Gbs Ideal Cop: Huh, this could be a bomb but it would be really embarassing if it turned out not to be so I better leave it alone

if by "could be a bomb" you mean literally any object that has even the most remote possibility of actually being an explosive device, then yes, because the alternative is that cops literally arrest every single person in the country

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

a bay posted:

How do you think this will affect his dads chances of being elected to the President of Sudan lol

increased

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Well, a bomb DIDN'T go off killing a bunch of people so i guess we can call the whole situation a success.

Metagrubs
Jan 5, 2015
Lipstick Apathy
Frisco police thwart 7th grader's plans to detonate terrifying "potato bomb" at local science fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

a bay posted:

oh okay by "could be a bomb" you actually just meant "literally any object possessed by a muslim", alright

• Locked thread