Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Didn't read any of this I just want to say that Firefly sucks and I'm glad it got canceled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Mission Hill is still pretty good, probably could've gone for another season or two and still been decent

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Big Centipede posted:

Didn't read any of this I just want to say that Firefly sucks and I'm glad it got canceled

It's really bad and my roommate made me watch it with him and I pretended to enjoy it so I wouldn't hurt his feelings

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Remember that magic time Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 were on back to back?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Fastlane

Ether Drunk
Jan 31, 2007

Parker Lewis can't lose

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hill St Blues. It had lots of good characters like the cool old sergeant who was all "Let's be careful out there!" and died in the sack while giving it to that hypersexual bit.

e: also, it had the best stage name for a black actor ever.
Before - Herbert Middleton Jr
After - Taurean Blacque

Nic Cage dick cage fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 17, 2015

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm usually ok with shows dying early even if I really like them because nothing is permanent, everything degrades and some other Buddhist bullshit.
But I really wish Better Off Ted would get resurrected.

Watch this, you corpse-loving dickholsters:
:nws: :nws: :nws: :nws: :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7Nz4bIwss

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

ghlbtsk posted:

Watch this, you corpse-loving dickholsters:

I think that was corpse-loving dickholes, sir..

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
My Own Worst Enemy

Why can't America appreciate Christian Slater?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

homeboys in outer space

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Happy Endings

I mentioned it, along with Party Down, and H Jon Has a Van. Those were great shows.

Even though I loved it, Happy Endings had a solid run and ABC gave it a fairly good, actually more than fair, shot with a line-up right before/after Modern Family and kept it going even though ratings were poo poo. Also it was starting to lose some of it's funniness in Season 3 but S1 and S2 were solid gold.

It could have still gotten one more season out of it, but it shouldn't have lasted more than 4 seasons and it's probably alright that it ended when it did.

On3moresoul posted:

Almost Human, was a pretty neat scifi crime procedural.

Nah, as much as I'd go have straight-gay sex with Karl Urban, the show sucked. It had promise initially and Karl+the black guy were pretty decent dynamic, but the rest of the show was absolute poo poo.

It was basically standard NCSI/cop procedural garbage with a single lame sci-fi gimmick 'curved bullets! magical explosive!' as some ending plot device, and basically was the books boring early-2000s designed cop show. They did nothing to hook the audience and only introduced some vague inklings of a larger plot at the first episode or two, and then did absolutely nothing with it until it was too late. Apparently TV producers haven't learned from the success of modern popular TV shows that actually advance the plot each episode and do it in compelling ways.

Oh yeah, their police department somehow gets invaded and taken over like every loving episode because people can just waltz right in. Just a whole lot of dumb in general in the show, and not in a good way.

That one cop chick was super loving hot though, god drat.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 17, 2015

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Brimstone, American Gothic, Hannibal.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010
Mister T the animated series

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
Bite Me with Dr Mike was a show on Travel Channel about a guy who traveled the world getting himself bitten or infected with parasites and it was so hosed up, I loved it.

On one episode he went to India, drank from the Ganges, and ate unwashed veggies then poo poo out a handful of worms on camera. I need a combination of :allears: and :barf:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Monkey Dust
Monkey Dust is a British satirical cartoon, notorious for its dark humour and handling of taboo topics such as bestiality, murder, suicide and paedophilia. There were three series broadcast on BBC Three between 2003 and 2005.

Each episode featured animation by several different companies including Slinky Pictures, Nexus Productions, Sherbet Animation, Caroline Mabey, Picasso Pictures and VooDooDog, but is linked by recurring themes and jokes, and by seamless transitions between sketches. The episodes are untitled but instead are known by the characters introduced or the one-off sketches included. The principal writers and creators of the series were Harry Thompson and Shaun Pye, although other contributors were responsible for a significant proportion of the work; sometimes collaborating with Thompson and/or Pye; sometimes contributing fully formed sketches to the show. A short overview of the main characters, called a nocturne, set in the various characters' bedrooms with no dialogue and a depressing accompanying song, usually precedes the final section.

In 2003, The Observer listed Harry Thompson as one of the 50 funniest or most influential people in British comedy, citing Monkey Dust as evidence and calling it: "the most subversive show on television. The topical animated series is dark and unafraid to tackle taboo subjects such as paedophilia, taking us to Cruel Britannia, a creepy place where the public are hoodwinked by arrogant politicians and celebrities. This edgy show doesn't always work, but when it does there is nothing quite like it".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaaq0sgtdBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEPwn2Yit9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKSGdByaUIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VovRTt0hAPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEVJ_48YgTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaUkt59vY1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCywGhHQMEw

Fluo fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 17, 2015

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Cake is bad but this show is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBI081jBiL0

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Drive, IE: Cannonball Run: The TV Show

It wasn't good but it was goofy as hell and it also had a pretty rockin cast (Emma Stone, Nathan Fillion, Melanie Lynskey, Taryn Manning).

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Titus
Constantine
Sliders, though its more regrettable what happened to the series during its production span. I'm certain that if they tried doing it today it would go over way better.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Watching Party Down now thanks to this thread, this is the first time I've actually liked Adam Scott

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Clitch posted:

My Own Worst Enemy

Wasn't Mike O'Malley his secret agent buddy in that?

I'm not sure is that was the best casting choice or the worst.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Heil Honey, I'm Home is a misunderstood gem

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Archer666 posted:

Constantine

Don't care what anyone else says but I really liked this show. Unfortunately the only occulty type poo poo that seems to stick around is tween garbage like grimm and once upon a time.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

The Middleman
Better Off Ted

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!
Clone High
MST3K
Metalocalypse

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Clitch posted:

My Own Worst Enemy

It's ok. He's finally getting the recognition he deserves in Mr. Robot.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
did not one of you cunts mention The Thick Of It

Veep doesn't count.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Alphas
Human Target
The Pretender

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes

Wurzag posted:

Don't care what anyone else says but I really liked this show. Unfortunately the only occulty type poo poo that seems to stick around is tween garbage like grimm and once upon a time.

Probably put most people off when it was shown the angel was gonna be a dick and try to bring hell to earth.

Stevoblunt
Mar 12, 2008

Frostwerks posted:

and yet at his worst he is still better than you at your finest

Agreed.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
M.A.N.T.I.S.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Comedy Central had a show called "Stella" that had 10 episodes like 8 years ago. I really liked it.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

loving carnivale they spend two seasons carefully setting up this biblical conflict and then it ends before anything can be resolved

E: they killed it two years into a six year plan thats the end of the first act ffs

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
seaquest

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Mister T the animated series

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Phoon posted:

loving carnivale they spend two seasons carefully setting up this biblical conflict and then it ends before anything can be resolved

E: they killed it two years into a six year plan thats the end of the first act ffs

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

This but just Season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

Pleads posted:

Better Off Ted.

Pretty sure the awful name killed that fantastic show.

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Twin Peaks
Firefly
Star Trek Enterprise - started out lovely, but got cancelled right as it was getting good

Ryoshi posted:

Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 (one of the funniest loving shows on television)
Totally agree, I kick myself for not watching it when it aired because I stupidly confused it with "2 Broke Girls" at the time. Apparently, so did the networks, because that goddamn show is still on the air for some reason. Whatever. Has anyone else done comedic sociopathy half as well as B23? Also, I think James Van Der Beek could easily be the new Leslie Nielsen (i.e. a mediocre dramatic actor who becomes a terrific overly serious comedy actor) if we gave him the chance.

Arrested Development's original 3 seasons captured the nuttiness of mid-00's America-- the Atkins fad, American Idol, Iraq, the Patriot Act, the gay rights movement back when they were topless-dancing their way to acceptance instead of getting serious and changing laws, and especially the insane and stupid lifestyles of the rich and corporate. The 7-year time jump between season 3 and 4 killed that vibe, and it was hard adjusting the characters to the present. I would have loved to see the original Arrested Development continue on into 2007, 2008, and 2009. The Great Recession might have thrown a wrench in the works, though.
Season 4 also failed because its editing was overly ambitious, going by character instead of in chronological order. There was good material but it suffered from the format. You can't laugh at a punchline before you hear the setup. Mitch Hurwitz recognized this, which is why he's recutting all the footage to the tried-and-true format and having Ron Howard record new voiceover narration.

Also, maybe I'm insane for thinking this, but I would like to see Terra Nova completely rebooted with a new cast. It was a great premise ruined by inept showrunning and terrible scriptwriting and direction. Maybe bad acting, too, but it's hard to tell because they had so little to work with. Oh, well, at least there's Jurassic World.

• Locked thread