Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Melmac posted:

I read somewhere that when the DVD came out, REM caught wind that they were having problems getting permission to use "Stand" and they were such huge fans of the show they demanded it be permitted and I think for free (or near free).

The other issue was that they liked to put popular pop songs in the show, so they had to get all of those songs cleared too. That's probably why the old Rhino releases trickled out at a snail's pace and then kind of petered out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I remember a couple of old shows that got cancelled very early.

One I think was called John Doe, or maybe it was just the "name" of the main character, who was an amnesiac who somehow knew everything about everything except who he is or where he came from. And he used his powers of knowing everything to solve crimes or mysteries or something. Then towards the end of the season some secret organization tried to capture him.

Another was a show about Cupid who's lazing around Olympus, when Zeus gets angry at him and forces him to live as a mortal until he can bring 100 couples together. Aside from an episode where Mortal Cupid and a bunch of friends go to a club and make a bet on who can get turned down the most I don't remember much else.

At the time I felt they were taken off before their time. But who knows, if I saw them now maybe it'd turn out they both sucked really bad.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

its not so bad when a comedy gets cancelled imo but i wouldve liked more dont trust the b in 23

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
pushing daisies

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

MoreLikeTen posted:

pushing daisies

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Seaquest DSV
Thunder in Paradise

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Drive, IE: Cannonball Run: The TV Show

It wasn't good but it was goofy as hell and it also had a pretty rockin cast (Emma Stone, Nathan Fillion, Melanie Lynskey, Taryn Manning).

With a sweet blue-on-black Challenger for Fillion's hero car. This show could've ruled if they let it build up a little more.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

you're a piece of poo poo

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
teh critic was a really good show and i still love to watch it

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Drive, IE: Cannonball Run: The TV Show

It wasn't good but it was goofy as hell and it also had a pretty rockin cast (Emma Stone, Nathan Fillion, Melanie Lynskey, Taryn Manning).

I was really enjoying that, but it seemed like it only ran for a handful of episodes before it got pulled. Did they ever release the rest of the first season?

Another on that seemed to disappear before it ever had a chance was The Book of Daniel, but that show was pretty much doomed before it hit the air, mostly because of Christian groups getting offended. In fact, when it did finally air a few episodes, the only commercials it had were for the Olympics, which happened to be airing on the same network. It was a shame, since it really was intriguing and a well-made drama.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Frostwerks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7ycxiog40

It was good, yeah

feels like maybe it was cut off a little early

Wait a minute... penguins can't fly!

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

Frostwerks posted:

Oh yeah that was/still is a great show.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
has anyone said firefly yet?

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Justin Godscock posted:

has anyone said firefly yet?

Big Centipede posted:

Didn't read any of this I just want to say that Firefly sucks and I'm glad it got canceled

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
The Pirates of Dark Water.

I never got closure.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Wurzag posted:

Don't care what anyone else says but I really liked this show. Unfortunately the only occulty type poo poo that seems to stick around is tween garbage like grimm and once upon a time.

Constantine was p good imho but I could see how it wouldn't catch on. It was grimdark doctor who on the surface and I think people prefer those kind of shows to be light and breezy. If it had another season it could have come on to its own tho.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
The thick of it wasn't really cancelled. Yeah, they had some problems with the main guy being sentenced for pictures of naked children, but the show bounced back and kept going. It's got a longer total run time than a lot of other UK comedy shows and Armando Iannuci says that they might still make more. Actually, if he wanted to make more I'm pretty sure he could just pick up the phone and do so, he's got that kind of pull, but he's said that unless a huge governmental change happens in the uk, they explored pretty much all there is to explore.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

criscodisco posted:

I was really enjoying that, but it seemed like it only ran for a handful of episodes before it got pulled. Did they ever release the rest of the first season?

Another on that seemed to disappear before it ever had a chance was The Book of Daniel, but that show was pretty much doomed before it hit the air, mostly because of Christian groups getting offended. In fact, when it did finally air a few episodes, the only commercials it had were for the Olympics, which happened to be airing on the same network. It was a shame, since it really was intriguing and a well-made drama.

They put out the last few eps on iTunes. Technically it wraps up the plot but not very well and it was clearly setting up for a much bigger plotline.

I also want to throw in Awake, which was a decent police procedural starring Jason Isaacs and Wilmer Valderrama of all people. The twist was that it was also about alternate realities and the main character would use clues he found in one reality to solve crimes in the other one. Honestly it would have made a better video game than TV show, but the actual show was pretty good, was well acted and seemed to have a bit of Xfiles going for it. It wen't for a lot of the same notes as Fringe but in a much more subdued and mature way (much less comic book).

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I don't get the supposedly dirty joke in animaniacs where Yakko tells the chorus girl she can open his mail

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished the entire Party Down series today and I laughed so hard I cried during the Highschool Reunion episode when Ron is throwing up and begging the woman to phone for an ambulance.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Psych was v good and I miss it a lot. I've been rewatching it on Netflix recently and am actually on the series finale right now so I'm going to miss it again soon.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Psych was v good and I miss it a lot. I've been rewatching it on Netflix recently and am actually on the series finale right now so I'm going to miss it again soon.

Yeah Psych was an incredibly fun show. It had a pretty awesome run of 9? seasons, even though I didn't know many people who watched it. It's the type of show with just a great :3 cast dynamics that yeah it probably could have gone on even longer, but it wrapped up enough with happy endings all around.

I don't think it counts as being "cancelled". It ended and wrapped up well and it was just time for it to move on.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

vyst posted:

Thunder in Paradise

oooooohh yeah

i bet that one has aged like a scotch.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
N'thing Human target.
It wasn't a highly polished show but was well worth the watch, however Ilsa Poochi annoyed me in the second season.

Also n'thing Dresden Files.
This show didn't know what polish was, but was strangely addictive.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
If ones that ended naturally don't count I'm going to say Alphas. I normally don't like superhero poo poo but it just drew me in, and it's one of the few tv shows I've seen with actual character growth. SyFy didn't even let them make a proper finale like Eureka so it just ended up being a complete downer ending. :mad:

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

That Robot posted:

MST3K

Rifftrax just isn't the same without the robots and the satellite of love

I still miss that show. I noticed Ch 11 WTTW Chicago is playing reruns of old shows now. I want to move back to Chicago.

When it started we'd pick it up off a Big Satellite Dish at like 10am Saturday morning, take a break at 11am to get a pizza, then watch the rest later. Just took too much concentration to watch in one sitting and get all the references.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Canned Panda posted:

Better Off Ted

Returned, but animated instead of live action, so the crazy inventions at the company can be really off the wall.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Tales of The Golden Monkey. Not sure how it's aged but I remember loving the show.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Amazing Zimmo posted:

N'thing Human target.
It wasn't a highly polished show but was well worth the watch, however Ilsa Poochi annoyed me in the second season.

The whole second season was garbage. They wanted to attract a female auidence by adding a love story and 2 new female characters but it was the type of show that shouldn't of had it added. It didn't fit at all.

Except for Guerrero. He was awesome in season 2.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Blake's 7

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Psych was good in 1 or 2 episodes at a time but anymore than that and the characters became so annoying.

I wish they hadn't ended Friends so quickly.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Terminator show: Connor Chrnoicales

Almost Human - it was like a proto dredd

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I agree that Stella was very good. Michael and Michael Have Issues was also extremely good and has Kumail Nanjiani.

There was also the one about the fake news team that was on Comedy Central and had a really good cast.

Update: I looked it up and it was Dog Bites Man.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Xaris posted:

I don't think it counts as being "cancelled". It ended and wrapped up well and it was just time for it to move on.

Yeah, if we're going to count shows that had a natural ending, I would have to say Justified.

Every season was fantastic. They found the perfect balance between bad-guy-of-the-week/bad-guy-of-the-season/entire-series-big-picture. And I loved the ending. But that doesn't stop me from missing and wanting more from Timothy Olyphant. The ONLY beef I had with the show is that they didn't dedicate enough time to Deputy Gutterson (Jacob Pitts). I would have really loved for them to flesh out his character even more.

drat you Justified!!!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Max Hammer posted:

Yeah, if we're going to count shows that had a natural ending, I would have to say Justified.

Every season was fantastic. They found the perfect balance between bad-guy-of-the-week/bad-guy-of-the-season/entire-series-big-picture. And I loved the ending. But that doesn't stop me from missing and wanting more from Timothy Olyphant. The ONLY beef I had with the show is that they didn't dedicate enough time to Deputy Gutterson (Jacob Pitts). I would have really loved for them to flesh out his character even more.

drat you Justified!!!

Whenever I miss Justified, I just go on to Youtube and watch all of Conan O'Brien's interviews with Olyphant, because they're actually good friends IRL and Olyphant spends the whole thing just loving around and taking shots at people. And is probably a few drinks in by the time he's on camera, too

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Whenever I miss Justified, I just go on to Youtube and watch all of Conan O'Brien's interviews with Olyphant, because they're actually good friends IRL and Olyphant spends the whole thing just loving around and taking shots at people. And is probably a few drinks in by the time he's on camera, too

Because of Justified, I assume that Olyphant has had a few Whiskeys and has at least 2 firearms on him at all times. There is no one who could have played that role better. And before the show, I didn't really see him in that much stuff. I liked him in Hitman. But man, that show made me a fan of his instantly.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Max Hammer posted:

Because of Justified, I assume that Olyphant has had a few Whiskeys and has at least 2 firearms on him at all times. There is no one who could have played that role better. And before the show, I didn't really see him in that much stuff. I liked him in Hitman. But man, that show made me a fan of his instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IdgJOr1HSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khlkDS0d00M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGff9v-OR70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXRefikXFFw

Seriously the chemistry they have is like Top gear level of "Friends loving around"

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 18, 2015

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Thank you for these, pro-clicks right here. You're right, seems like they could be sitting on some back deck somewhere, drinking beers and shooting the poo poo. Plus, Olyphant just seems like a straight-up chill guy.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
Did anyone else watch Viper? I think it cam on FOX early to mid 90s. A kick rear end car that could change its body and tires an poo poo.

And cleopatra 2525. Even though it sucked it was fun in a campy way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Gonna go with both Deadwood and the Borgias (the one with Jeremy Irons, not the one off of Netflix.)

E: ha Deadwood fits with the ongoing Olyphantchat too

• Locked thread